Is Allah equivalent to Yahweh?

• Thread starter Thread starter YHWH_Christ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to think of names as personal rather than substantial, but that might be wrong. If I had to guess, it sounds like adonai is being equated with Yahweh in an inappropriate way.
No Adonai is not being equated with Yahweh. Hebrews 1:10-11 is referring to Jesus but in the Old Testament clearly referring to Yahweh. John 8 when Jesus is called the I Am, that is the name for God, which Yahweh means, thereby identifying Jesus with Yahweh. In John 12 we have John referring to vision in Isaiah 6 where Isaiah sees Yahweh on His throne and yet St. John says Isaiah saw Jesus. These references are clear that Jesus is identified as Yahweh.
he point of evangelization is to bring people to a knowledge of Jesus, who reveals God to us in ways that go beyond the knowledge we can gain on our own. To bring the Holy Spirit to them. Nothing I have said eliminates that imperative to share with people who know only the Father.
Ah yet you said that they know the true God. John 17:3 says “This means eternal life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.” So it seems there is a contradiction here. If they already know the true God, and yet deny that the Son is Deity, are they denying the Father as John says in 1 John 4? Do they truly know the only true God if they deny the Son? Can one have a relationship with the Father if they deny that Jesus is the Son of God?

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly disagree! What is the point of evangelism then?
Whilst evangelism is a priority, the greatest commandments are to love God and our neighbours. The parable of the Good Samaritan and Mathew 25, the sheep and the goats are profound. They tell stories of helping the most needy, with no mention of evangelism, yet they tell us who will have salvation.

Wouldn’t you agree that the greatest way to love someone is to share the Gospel with them? If not, then what is the greatest way to love ones neighbor?

Although this is not a Catholic video, it is relevant to the post and is affirmative of Jesus being the Christian God, and it’s kind of humorous to.

Is Allah the same as Yahweh?Is Allah the same as Yahweh?

Wouldn’t you agree that the greatest way to love someone is to share the Gospel with them? If not, then what is the greatest way to love ones neighbor?
'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

"Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me’" (Matthew 25:35-40).

John 15:13-17
13 No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. 16 You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. 17 I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.

Wouldn’t you agree that the greatest way to love someone is to share the Gospel with them?
Most people don’t care what others believe, would you be willing to let a Muslim share his faith with you?

Most people want to know that others care, so if we are hungry, homeless, sick or in trouble; we would benefit more from their help and support, rather than from their preaching.

Most people want to know that others care, so if we are hungry, homeless, sick or in trouble; we would benefit more from their help and support, rather than from their preaching.
Indeed. As you can see, nowhere in Matthew 25:35-40 does it mention preaching.

Or in the Good Samaritan, and both parables are in answer to our salvation.
Yes. There is a place for preaching, of course; but - as you know - deeds of kindness, especially those done for love…love for God…and love for others, are always going to be the strongest witness.

Jesus didn’t preach about the virtue of healing - for example - he went and did it!

Last edited:
This is true, I misspoke saying evangelizing was the greatest act of love. You are correct, laying ones life down is the greatest act of love, which our Lord perfectly displayed.

God Bless

While I agree most others don’t care what others believe, I would say that shouldn’t stop us from proclaiming the Gospel. Yes, we should help the poor and needy. But we should not only do that. We are called to help the poor in spirit as well.
St Paul says:
" For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” But how can they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how can they believe in him of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone to preach? And how can people preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring the good news!” (Rom. 10:13, 14). So we should still preach the Good News and make it a priority. For the spiritual need of someone is just as important as the physical need.

God Bless

This absolutely true! I never said one shouldn’t help the needy. That is absolutely something Christians should do. But I would say, that from my experience of Scripture and Tradition, evangelism should be a priority over helping the needy, for helping ones spiritual need is just as, possibly more, important than their physical being.
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be." (Matt 6:19-21)

But I would say, that from my experience of Scripture and Tradition, evangelism should be a priority over helping the needy, for helping ones spiritual need is just as, possibly more, important than their physical being.
One whose physical being is a wreck - one who is needy - will not be open to spiritual truths until that need is alleviated. A hungry person’s overriding desire is food; one who is cold yearns for warmth; one who is sick, for healing. What should we do…first…ease their immediate burden - and, by so doing, demonstrate that the God we profess to believe in, that we would wish them to believe in, truly is a God who loves; or first… evangelise them, in the hope that they will forgive our apparent indifference to their plight and listen to what we have to say?

Last edited:
Never said to be indifferent to their plight. You are assuming I am saying that one needs to ignore the need of others. I am merely saying that spiritual needs come before physical needs. That is all.

I said apparent indifference.

It’s not a question of ignoring the needs of others…it is matter of prioritisation. Next time you come across someone in need of food; of shelter; of clothing in order to get warm, try asking which they would prefer: a demonstration of love…or a sermon about love?

I would have no need to do this. I would help them as best as I could and preach the Gospel to them if they were not a believer. Simple as that. One does not need to divorce the two.
Again, I merely said that spiritual needs come before physical needs. A relationship with the one true God, the Triune God, is more important than food, as the desert fathers would tell you. Hence why God calls us to fast and perform ascetic devotions as that. To help us see that He is more important than food and water and shelter. We as believers should definitely give such things if we can in being loving to our neighbor as our self, but giving hope through the Gospel still outweighs the current life’s lack.
As St. Paul said, “to die is to gain.” We should have a view of giving hope and relationship to others through God, not material things.
But again, we don’t need to divorce the two like you asking to do.
I said apparent indifference
This statement implies indifference to their needs. Again, I have never said to be indifferent to their physical needs, just to put spiritual things above material things, as Christ our Lord said: “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroys, nor thieves break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be." (Matt 6:19-21)

This statement implies indifference to their needs
Apparent behaviour: In our context, the way one person’s behaviour appears to another.

One who prefers to sermonise to a needy person, rather than take immediate action to alleviate that need, will be perceived as indifferent, even cruel, by that person.

Perception is reality. Why would anyone take seriously the words - however well intentioned - of someone who, in their reality, simply doesn’t care. Talk is cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back