Is illegal immigration a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter russell007
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
…
If the police get a call about a bank being robbed witnesses say it was a white man in a grey chevy truck and at the same time another **white **man in his grey chevy truck comming back from the same area from buying groceries for his family is seen by the police do they not have a right to pull him over and check it out? or is that not considerd to be racial profiling because he happens to be white?

…
And there it is “white” and thus the problem how much should being “white” count, …more important, why do you ask?

What is the chance the man with groceries will have his citizenship checked???

And if a short, dark to red skinned man with flat black hair is driving a grey chevy truck there, what is the chance his citizenship will be checked? Because that is how we really know how much being “white” counts.
 
In some countries, it was (and may still be) prohibited by law to practice the Catholic faith. So would practicing your faith be a sin? No.

Laws and sins are two entirely different things, to say something is a sin just because it is against the law is far too simplistic.

Concerning illegal immigrants, I don’t think it is a sin whatsoever, as long as their purpose is to build a better life for themselves and their family. I’d do the same if I was in their shoes.
This is sticky. I was taught to obey civil law. Now whether the purpose in breaking a nation’s laws is to build a better life, or another reason, I don’t believe laws are made to be broken. Now if I saw an individual, a family trying to cross over the US Mexico border trying to excape Mexico’s harsh life, would I help them? I don’t think I could refuse to. I just think they should do everything possible to enter legally.
 
Thou shalt not steal

Illegals steal resources that could go to legal immigrants…and citizens.

And stealing is a sin
Individual persons steal. Groups of people don’t steal. To claim that “illegal immigrants steal” can be considered a sin against charity.

.
 
Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s

Ok now that I have your attention.

Illegal by definition means prohibited by law

So whether your speeding, robbing a bank, stealing, or in the states illegally its an illegal act. There is punishment for breaking the laws as there should be.

Under the Mexican law, illegal immigration is a felony, punishable by up to two years in prison. Immigrants who are deported and attempt to re-enter can be imprisoned for 10 years. Visa violators can be sentenced to six-year terms. Mexicans who help illegal immigrants are considered criminals. “Washington Post”

So would this be a sin?
Crossing a border without permission is most often a misdemeanor here in the U.S., and only rises to a felony when a person repeats the attempt. Us Catholics should honor and respect laws, but not place them up as some arbiter of right and wrong, virtue and sin. There are sins which are perfectly legal to do, just as there are some laws which punish the practice of virtue. Any Catholic who fails to see Jesus in the illegal immigrant seeking a better life is serving Caesar rather than Christ.

.
 
It is always interesting to me that people within the Church advocate for illegal immigration. I am not talking about helping folks who face legitimate percecution and trying to help them get political assylum. I am talking about violating U.S law. I hear the term “Social Justice” thrown around alot regarding illegal immigratin. I know that term is a communist buzz word and a battle cry for folks who are trying to bring down the Church from within. When I hear “Social justice” I run the other way.

Bottom line, illegal immigrartion is wrong and I believe thereforea sin.
 
Individual persons steal. Groups of people don’t steal. To claim that “illegal immigrants steal” can be considered a sin against charity.

.
Actually, your point would be valid…But each “illegal” Steals resources…i.e Border Patrol resources…Deportation and legal fees when/if caught…educational resources…etc etc…every illegal immigrant is taxing by stealing…resources that could be used by legal immigrants or citizens.

So,I’ll stand by my original statement 🙂
 
Us Catholics should honor and respect laws, but not place them up as some arbiter of right and wrong, virtue and sin.
Correct. Immigration by sneaking over the border without proper paperwork and permission is illegal. Consequently, everyone must respect that law, or face the legal consequences. Those who do choose to break the law and enter the country illegally are causing the trouble for those who take the proper steps to follow the laws.
There are sins which are perfectly legal to do, just as there are some laws which punish the practice of virtue. Any Catholic who fails to see Jesus in the illegal immigrant seeking a better life is serving Caesar rather than Christ.
Therefore a US soldier who flees to Canada to avoid honoring his contract to serve in the American military operations is just as illegally residing in Canada, as the Mexican who flees across the Arizona border to flee the oppressive conditions he sees in Mexico. That fleeing US citizen and the fleeing Mexican citizen are both guilty of stealing the security and employment opportunities available to legal citizens of Canada and the United States, respectively. That security and those opportunities are granted freely to the country’s citizens; those who wish to partake of the benefits of living in any given country must abide by the laws pertaining to gaining citizenship of said country. Otherwise, those illegal entrants are guilty of “theft of services” if absolutely nothing else.
 
Correct. Immigration by sneaking over the border without proper paperwork and permission is illegal. Consequently, everyone must respect that law, or face the legal consequences.
If mere human law is some kind of Golden Calf which must be servilely worshipped and expiated, then by all means I wish its worshippers luck in extracting the required consequences from 30 million men, women and children who committed misdemeanor border-crossings. I also fret endlessly and lose sleep and peace of mind, too, over all tens of millions of daily jaywalkers who must likewise face the wrath of our legislative gods.
Therefore a US soldier who flees to Canada to avoid honoring his contract to serve in the American military operations is just as illegally residing in Canada, as the Mexican who flees across the Arizona border to flee the oppressive conditions he sees in Mexico. That fleeing US citizen and the fleeing Mexican citizen are both guilty of stealing the security and employment opportunities available to legal citizens of Canada and the United States, respectively. That security and those opportunities are granted freely to the country’s citizens; those who wish to partake of the benefits of living in any given country must abide by the laws pertaining to gaining citizenship of said country. Otherwise, those illegal entrants are guilty of “theft of services” if absolutely nothing else.
Scandalous! Sinful thieves! But there’s hope on the horizon for us wretches who are so weary of loving our neighbors and tired of welcoming strangers: The great god Caesar will punish the sinners in our midst if we extol his great glory! When, O Lord Caesar, will you come to save us from our tearful plight? When can we then enjoy peace? Have mercy upon us wretches who have to press 1 for English, we beseech thee!

.
 
Actually, your point would be valid…But each “illegal” Steals resources…i.e Border Patrol resources…Deportation and legal fees when/if caught…educational resources…etc etc…every illegal immigrant is taxing by stealing…resources that could be used by legal immigrants or citizens.

So,I’ll stand by my original statement 🙂
Supposedly, all people who buy candy bars in gas stations are all thieves and I declare them all to be sinners going straight to hell, since some of them also throw their candy wrappers out of the car’s windows and highway workers on the taxpayer’s payroll later have to pick them up. But rather than invoke civil justice and say that you and you threw candy wrappers out the window, I’ll just invoke tribal justice and use a blanket statement and declare that all candy-buyers are guilty as a group.

.
 
Actually, your point would be valid…But each “illegal” Steals resources…i.e Border Patrol resources…Deportation and legal fees when/if caught…educational resources…etc etc…every illegal immigrant is taxing by stealing…resources that could be used by legal immigrants or citizens.

So,I’ll stand by my original statement 🙂
Then you steal. If anybody can assign thief to another I assign it to you. The US government assigns border resources at the government’s discretion regardless of if any immigrants are present. A great deal of the borders are unmanned. People cross the Canadian border all the time are they thieves in your book?

Did you know when you fly into a country you cross the border first, often hundreds of miles later you arrive at customs, so if the crossing is the illegal act millions would be acting illegally.

Did you know MOST of the border is not marked? In addition to all the border under the ocean much of the rural borders are in remote rural areas and simply unmarked.
 
Supposedly, all people who buy candy bars in gas stations are all thieves and I declare them all to be sinners going straight to hell, since some of them also throw their candy wrappers out of the car’s windows and highway workers on the taxpayer’s payroll later have to pick them up. But rather than invoke civil justice and say that you and you threw candy wrappers out the window, I’ll just invoke tribal justice and use a blanket statement and declare that all candy-buyers are guilty as a group.

.
When and if… buying candy bars becomes illegal. Until then - they re NOT illegal. The first thing you have to do is ** pass a LAW** making buying candy bars illegal

Illegal immigration IS - illegal.

They consciously, knowingly, decide - daily - to break immigration laws. It is a habitual action chosen by them.
 
Man has a natural right to migrate. However, this right may be regulated or restricted by the state for just purposes. It depends whether the restrictions placed on migrants are just or not in regards to whether being an illegal immigrant is a sin or not.
It seems to be pretty much the unanimous assessment of the bishops in the US that the immigration laws in the US are overly restrictive.
 
Then you steal. If anybody can assign thief to another I assign it to you. The US government assigns border resources at the government’s discretion regardless of if any immigrants are present. A great deal of the borders are unmanned. People cross the Canadian border all the time are they thieves in your book?
There is a huge difference in crossing borders lawfully - respecting the sovereignty of another country and ** purposely, intentional, with malice toward another country’s immigration laws**,… entering a country… illegally.

I know it is illegal
I choose to enter illegal
I choose to remain illegal

Is a bit different than

I will respect this country’s laws
I will enter legally
I will stay for the allotted time period

If it wasn’t for illegal entries we wouldn’t need an extra 17,000 troops …would we? Even Mr.Obama sees the need
 
There but by the grace of God go . . . you.

.
Are you trying to say…they don’t know it’s illegal? They don’t decide to illegally enter and stay?..If you think God is making them commit illegal activities…😦
 
Man has a natural right to migrate. However, this right may be regulated or restricted by the state for just purposes. It depends whether the restrictions placed on migrants are just or not in regards to whether being an illegal immigrant is a sin or not.
It seems to be pretty much the unanimous assessment of the bishops in the US that the immigration laws in the US are overly restrictive.
As the Bishops and Church points out…The end never justifies the means…

Example…albeit we would probably like the result of an abortion mill being put out of business…for me to steal it’s property - is wrong and a sin.
 
Man has a natural right to migrate. However, this right may be regulated or restricted by the state for just purposes. It depends whether the restrictions placed on migrants are just or not in regards to whether being an illegal immigrant is a sin or not.
It seems to be pretty much the unanimous assessment of the bishops in the US that the immigration laws in the US are overly restrictive.
Agreed. The fact that the small number of alotted visas do not match our society’s needs for labor means that the government’s restrictions are encouraging illegal border-crossings, and all of its resulting dangers. If voters were to face the issue with Christian charity instead of with sloth, xenophobia, and racism then maybe their elected representatives would be forced to institute justice rather than injustice.

.
 
As the Bishops and Church points out…The end never justifies the means…
Ends: Make uncharitable, slothful, xenophobic and racist voter happy. Means: Restrict legal immigration.

The ends never justify the means.
 
Are you trying to say…they don’t know it’s illegal? They don’t decide to illegally enter and stay?..If you think God is making them commit illegal activities…😦
Supposedly, the word “ILLEGAL” has great power and connotation for those who worship at the feet of Caesar, but I’m just guessing.

.
 
If it wasn’t for illegal entries we wouldn’t need an extra 17,000 troops …would we? Even Mr.Obama sees the need
If it wasn’t for the lack of legal visas then we wouldn’t need any troops at the border. But it’s easier to hold 30 million poor people accountable than it is 535 men and women in business attire.

.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top