As I am writing this, I am in Bolivia, in a remote location in the northern part of the country.
I am doing volunteer work on an eco-farm, in the areas of permaculture and bioconstruction.
The farm is run by a married couple who are devout, Hare Krishna Hindus. The husband is British and the wife is Bolivian. I didn’t know it in advance. I discovered it when I came and learned about their lifestyle and noticed the temple they have on their property (located within their hut-house)
I mention this for context. They homeschool their children and the room that they use is also the space they use for yoga when they have clients.
What would you (any of you) like me to ask them?
Quote:
Krishna devotees—specifically those who consider themselves part of ISKCON the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, follow Krishna’s teachings in the [Bhagavad-gita]. The word “Hindu” isn’t found there, or anywhere in
Vedic literature. When we speak of Krishna, we’re referring to the Supreme Person, the
Absolute Truth, the ultimate source of all energies.
“Hindu” is a relative term referring to customs and beliefs of a portion of the population of Southeast Asia. It came into use in relatively recent history. The Supreme Person, God, isn’t bound by time or space, so He can’t be referred to as “Hindu,” “Christian,” or “Muslim,” and nor can His devotees.
Some believe the Absolute Truth to be ultimately impersonal, and that Krishna is merely a historical personality appearing in India to teach “Hinduism.” In answer to this, Krishna Himself says in the
Bhagavad-gita,
“Unintelligent men, who do not know Me perfectly, think that I, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krishna, was impersonal before and have now assumed this personality. Due to their small knowledge, they do not know My higher nature, which is imperishable and supreme.” [
7.24]
“They say Krishna is Indian or Krishna is worshiped by the Hindus and therefore He is one of the Hindu Gods; and they think that Krishna is saying, “Yes, I am the Hindu God. Yes, I am Indian.” But He is like the sun. Why American sun or Indian? Nothing is American or Indian; that is all artificial.”
Source:
Are Hare Krishnas Hindus? | Krishna.com
*As a side note. An interesting thing happened yesterday. A man from Uruguay who is in charge of the volunteers (he is a convert to Hinduism)
when the owner is away had a falling out with one of the volunteers.
The girl was playing music in the kitchen (sounded like Reggae) while she was doing cleaning duty and the man found the lyrics to be morally objectionable on account of it “glorifying drugs” and “degrading women” and told the volunteer that this kind of music is not appropriate for the kitchen because “the kitchen is considered part of the temple”.