Is it a sin for Catholics to do Yoga?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prodigal1984
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’re doing stretching and exercise in a traditional exercise class, you’ll end up doing Yoga postures as they’ve incorporated those exercises into their own routines.

This hot button topic comes up every few months in CAF.

Next will be a thread attacking Centering Prayer. It’s in the CAF cycle of events.

Jim
 
That’s not the point. There is a formal yoga as previously defined. That is the point. Postures are just that, postures.
 
No attack. My post is just offering options for individuals who are uncomfortable with the concept of Yoga by name in any form. I agree that to some degree or another any stretches may be duplicated in various Yoga movements. However, some individuals have a strong feeling about any connection with the concept of Yoga by name whether the exercises openly contain mantras, images, prayful postures or not. I think the references I gave, provide a system that still has the healthy benefit of stretching where they might feel more comfortable without a direct implied link to Yoga. No reason to miss the opportunity for a healthy physical activity.
 
Then nothing should be called yoga unless it is authentic yoga. There’s nothing wrong with stretching and exercise.
 
The Church does not treat all religions equally. All falsehood is from the evil, in one sense, but major world religions are not treated as demonic, as opposed to shamanism or voodoo, for example, whose practioners are more commonly subjected to exorcisms and renunciation of former practice, if they want to be baptized.

In general, converts from other religions are not so much thought to abandon former belief as to embrace the full truth. I don’t remember which pope formulated this, maybe Leo the Great.
 
Last edited:
What about yoga pants? Is wearing yoga pants sinful? Maybe that’s a topic for a new thread 🤔. Like Yoga, I know it’s a subject that’s been worn out on CAF many times before, but maybe someone has some new revealing insight :roll_eyes:.
Oh dear. If you thought this thread was bad as a yoga thread, wait until you manage to make it a yoga + modesty thread. Pandora’s box can’t be closed.
 
Pandora’s box
By using an example from Greek mythology, are you somehow invoking the pagan god Zeus, even though that’s clearly not your intent, but nevertheless leaving yourself open to diabolical possession? Something to think about.
 
40.png
HopkinsReb:
Pandora’s box
By using an example from Greek mythology, are you somehow invoking the pagan god Zeus, even though that’s clearly not your intent, but nevertheless leaving yourself open to diabolical possession? Something to think about.
WHAT HAVE I DONE
 
If you’re doing stretching and exercise in a traditional exercise class, you’ll end up doing Yoga postures as they’ve incorporated those exercises into their own routines.

This hot button topic comes up every few months in CAF.

Next will be a thread attacking Centering Prayer. It’s in the CAF cycle of events.

Jim
Yoga is not sinful per se, unless one adheres to the philoso/religious aspects (hey I made a word there!)

Centering prayer:
There are bazillions of people who ought to just get on their knees and start praying regular ol’ prayers rather than doing centering prayer sommersaults. JMO.
 
Last edited:
That is all these threads are about: find a way to get an answer some people want to hear as opposed to the truth: authentic yoga is all there is. Catholics should not do it. General exercise is fine, as it’s always been.
 
I can’t help but notice that in the West, the Catholic tradition has gone out of its way to study and incorporate those aspects of the Greek philosophical tradition that have shown themselves to be true, probable, insightful or terminologically useful. Look at how how often Aquinas quotes Aristotle as an authority, referring to him as “the Philosopher”. And some of Aristotle’s works suffered censorship/condemnations during the medieval period ( known as “The Condemnations” of the University of Paris).

However, I haven’t seen an equally vigorous study of the East. Certainly nothing that comes close to what we’ve done with the Greek heritage ( 2,000 years of refinement).

I often wonder to what extent we actually understand what were talking about when we speak of Buddhism and Hinduism, and how much is superficial knowledge or worse, misunderstanding.
 
Last edited:
yoga

/ˈjəʊɡə/

noun
  1. a Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practised for health and relaxation.
“yoga classes”

Next they’ll be telling you Kama Sutra isn’t a sin either…

Keep justifying your sins because it won’t be us who judge on the final day. I repent for my gambling and drinking…
 
I responded to this post but it was removed for not being relevant.

I give up.
 
For a thread about yoga, those of us who are for or against the practice are extremely inflexible 😁. I think you made your point well, but most of us are just unwilling to consider another opinion.
 
Last edited:
The Church has scholars and worshipers in the East. Missionaries were sent to the whole world.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top