Is the death penalty really inadmissable?

• Thread starter Thread starter edjlopez23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
One cannot remarry after a divorce
When Catholics file for an annulment, the tribunal requires that they get a civil divorce, without even investigating anything.
Then if the annulment is granted, Catholics can marry after the divorce and annulment.
Eastern Orthodox Churches process Church divorces and will remarry someone.
I think there are a couple of inherent difficulties in creating a list of “non-infallible doctrines”.
Without a list of what is and what is not infallible, it is difficult to answer the question posed.

40.png
Ender:
If all that is required to reverse any doctrine is the claim that we have a better understanding of mankind than those other guys
Is slavery ok? What about lending money at interest?

The Church participated in the first, and it is even found throughout the Bible. The second was condemned for centuries, before ceasing to be so.

What about praying for the conversion of the Jews? That’s even been taken out of liturgy, and has also been condemned, but the Church preached that was a good thing to do for centuries (probably longer).

I’m not sure how the death penalty is any different from those three things, but the crack theologians here at CAF will fix that.
Slavery was never pursuant to any good, although someone will parse something out of it I’m sure.

Lending money at interest? What is the good that is pointed to?

Conversion of the Jews: conversion is aimed at the ultimate good of knowing God. At the same time prudential judgment dictates how and when is appropriate to evangelize toward this end. Those prudential judgments can change but the good of knowing God is an objective good.

As is the good of human welfare and existence in the eyes of God. That is an objective good. At times capital punishment might have been pursuant to human welfare and security and prudential judgment would acknowledge the need for it.
Now it is not due to changing societal circumstances. There are better prudential ways to accomplish and protect human welfare than capital punishment. Plus, there is increasing awareness of judicial mistakes that kill innocent people and this should be taken into account in the prudential judgment about capital punishment. So the Pope judges it inadmissible. I have no problem seeing the difference.

It doesn’t really take a theologian to accept this, just open ears and open heart.

Last edited:
Is slavery ok? What about lending money at interest?

The Church participated in the first, and it is even found throughout the Bible. The second was condemned for centuries, before ceasing to be so.
I think @StephenW made a very perceptive response in post 129 to this sort of question. When was slavery ever pronounced as a doctrine? Where is the historical support of slavery from the Fathers and Doctors?
I’m not sure how the death penalty is any different from those three things…
The pedigree for capital punishment is nothing like that of the other items: it is found in Scripture, it was acknowledged by virtually all of the Fathers, by all of the Doctors, by popes, Magisteria, and councils for 2000 years. Doctrinally opposing slavery is quite literally nothing like opposing capital punishment.
Catholics can marry after the divorce and annulment
Yes, and that was not really what I asked. An annulment is a statement that there was never a valid marriage in the first place. Can the church change the doctrine prohibiting remarriage after a divorce from a valid marriage?

Homosexual behavior is intrinsically disordered
This was taught in Catholic colleges in the past. Today however, it is different. I get an alumni magazine/journal from a Roman Catholic college. It publishes about 4 times a year. One of the sections has to do with congratulating alumni who have just married. It has several full color pictures. In the past the Roman Catholic magazine would only congratulate those alumni who entered into MF marriages. However, for the last several years, the Roman Catholics have been congratulating alumni who enter into SS marriages. Some are FF others are MM. The photos are there.

Again, there may be a semantic problem here. Dogma, as I was taught, is revealed truth. Thus, it is found in Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition as it is recognized as such by the Church. Doctrine, while being a teaching on faith and morals, is not, by that fact, a dogma. So, all dogma is defined doctrine, but not all defined doctrine is dogma. I don’t think that the Church has dogmatically or infallibly defined that “God is love” (1 John 4:8, 16), but it is an explicit teaching of Sacred Scripture involving faith and morals. The lack of an infallible definition does not suggest or imply any doubt that God is love.

Leaving the semantic question aside, let’s go with your idea (defined doctrine in error) and see where it takes us. If your thesis is correct, it would seem that one should be able to identify a doctrine that the Church has defined, but for which she admits error. The error we are talking about, based on previous posts, was that the Church later repudiates a doctrine she had once defined. I am unaware of that ever happening, but I am open to looking at examples and considering arguments in that regard. Just to be clear, this is not the development of doctrine. A defined doctrine may be incomplete or its definition improved, but that is not an error, per se.

The next thing, so it seems to me, is to consider if a bishop(s) or a pope can assert a teaching on faith and morals that turns out to be in error. I mean to say, can they assert a teaching as bishop, as pope and be wrong? If they are not speaking as a private person, but from their teaching office as bishop or pope, would that not be an exercise of the ordinary Magisterium? Can bishops or popes, then, in their ordinary Magisterium be wrong? My theological opinion is most definitely.

For example, after the tenth century, popes, such as Gregory VII (1073-1085), Innocent III (1198-1216) and Boniface VIII (1294-1303) considered Christ to have given them a fullness of power that was supreme both in and outside of the Church. This led canonists to teach that both spiritual and temporal authority were in the hands of the papacy. The pope merely delegated temporal authority to the state. The most extreme formulation of this notion, however, was Pope Boniface. He asserted that the pope, because of his superior spiritual position, establishes earthly powers and judges them. Even in the temporal sphere, his was not a human, but a divine power, such that whoever resists him (as the Roman pontiff) resists God. This is clearly a teaching concerning faith and morals, it is from the pope qua pope, and it is an error. What is not found here, in my opinion, is the pope (or Ecumenical Council) defining a doctrine of the Church. This, I think, is the answer to the question with which we are dealing here.

Last edited:
40.png
Ender:
Homosexual behavior is intrinsically disordered
This was taught in Catholic colleges in the past. Today however, it is different.
Perfect. I think this will work without addressing the other issues. This is not just what was taught in the past, and while I accept that (some) “Catholic” colleges may not teach this now, this is still the doctrine of the church.

CCC 2357 Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law… Under no circumstances can they be approved.

So, this is very unambiguous and my question is: under what conditions can the church reverse this doctrine and assert that homosexual behavior can be moral? Would the current position based on Scripture prevent such a repudiation or not?
You are throwing in the word “valid” here which is not a well defined term.
Then we’ll drop it and focus solely on homosexual behavior.
Do you really want to use that one? It easily proves the opposing case.
I just threw out some issues. As for this one, I really don’t know if it is doctrine or practice, like eating fish on Friday, but even that would make the point that in fact some changes are legitimate, and that just because X changed is no necessary indication that Y may be reversed as well.

40.png
goout:
Do you really want to use that one? It easily proves the opposing case.
I just threw out some issues. As for this one, I really don’t know if it is doctrine or practice, like eating fish on Friday, but even that would make the point that in fact some changes are legitimate, and that just because X changed is no necessary indication that Y may be reversed as well.
The question is a moral one, not really something you will hammer out in specific doctrine.
What are the three sources used to make the moral evaluation as to the admissibility of capital punishment?

Object
Circumstances
Intent

Your case for the universal admissibility of capital punishment loses on circumstances.
(and by the way, the truest good object is NOT punishment…just as the case for the Sunday obligation does not point to the good of the obligation for it’s own sake, it points to the good of worshiping and having communion with God. So in certain circumstances, the obligation is not binding, however the good it points to is always the objective good. )

Last edited:
Again, there may be a semantic problem here. Dogma, as I was taught, is revealed truth. Thus, it is found in Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition as it is recognized as such by the Church. Doctrine, while being a teaching on faith and morals, is not, by that fact, a dogma. So, all dogma is defined doctrine, but not all defined doctrine is dogma.
I am happy for you to shed light on this, and it would help if you would explain “defined doctrine.”
If your thesis is correct, it would seem that one should be able to identify a doctrine that the Church has defined , but for which she admits error… I am unaware of that ever happening…
I presume that such a thing has never happened. My position is that if we accept that capital punishment is now “inadmissible” (for other than prudential reasons) then this would be an example of such an error.

Without a list of what is and what is not infallible, it is difficult to answer the question posed.
I am not clear on what question is being posed here. Divorce in the Orthodox and Oriental Churches? Civil divorce before annulment process? The meaning of an annulment? I probably missed some other post here, so if it is not too much trouble, could you formulate for me the question you are trying to address here?

Regarding a list of what is not infallible, I take that to mean, a list of defined doctrines that are fallible. It is simpler to deal with the question that way, if I am understand you correctly. I just posted something to Ender that I believe speaks to this. Take a look and see what you think. Is the death penalty really inadmissable? - #143 by StephenW

Your case for the universal admissibility of capital punishment loses on circumstances.
I have never argued that capital punishment is universally appropriate; I have always accepted that there can be valid reasons to oppose it in particular cases. Here is what I have said:

For any punishment to be valid it must satisfy two criteria:
  1. It must be of proportionate severity with the severity of the crime (this is a moral obligation, and is a question of justice).
  2. It must not be harmful to the common good by causing more problems than it solves (this is a prudential judgment).
A punishment can be considered unjust if either criterion is violated, but death must be considered to validly fulfill the first criterion in all cases of intentional murder. As it was just in the past (in the first sense), it is equally just today.

What’s the point of the virtue of justice? Does justice serve itself?

Last edited:
40.png
Motherwit:
Do you believe in the principle of the ‘common good’. Do you believe there is a collective ‘social conscience’ that has authority to denounce injustice and demand justice of our leaders?
You should know that I do inasmuch as I have said this any number of times.
If you believe there is a principle of the ‘common good’ which is the end of human justice. If you believe in the collective social conscience, that being the capacity of ‘the people’ to recognize by moral reasoning what is good for society and what is harmful. Why not just accept that this process is a valid case for abolition of the death penalty? Why not just have your private dissent and not try and argue that there is a Catholic case against abolition?

but death must be considered to validly fulfill the first criterion in all cases of intentional murder. As it was just in the past (in the first sense), it is equally just today.
That is obviously not true since the death penalty for intentional murder has been abolished in all Judeo Christian countries and the Church has never called that a failure of justice. We aren’t talking just about the recent Popes either. These are the Popes of the late 19th and early 20th century. None have ever addressed abolition.

Can the church change the doctrine prohibiting remarriage after a divorce from a valid marriage?
“Every one who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery” (Lk 16:18).

Given this passage from Sacred Scripture, how might you answer the question you have posed, if someone asked you the same question?

So, this is very unambiguous and my question is: under what conditions can the church reverse this doctrine and assert that homosexual behavior can be moral? Would the current position based on Scripture prevent such a repudiation or not?
No one in the Church has the authority to decide that homosexual behavior is now moral. Yes, Scripture would disallowed a repudiation of this teaching. It is not only Scripture that condemns this behavior. Note what the Catechism also says, “…tradition has always declared that ‘homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.’ They are contrary to the natural law…” The “natural law”, in this case, has to do with how God has created man and woman. As such, accepting homosexual behavior would also contradiction other teachings of the Church (i.e. Scripture/Tradition). Thus, the Catechism says, “Under no circumstances can they be approved.” In other words, the Church cannot approve it; it is not within the Church’s power to do this.

Last edited:
Then we’ll drop it
I can see why you want to drop it because is it not true that the Catholic Church has changed its position on marriage after divorce by redefining the words “valid” or “invalid”. The words are the same, but the definitions of the words have changed. This is why in 1929, there were about 10 marriage annulments in the USA, whereas in recent years it has gone into the tens of thousands. If that is not enough proof that the term “invalid” is ambiguous, take a look at the Kennedy - Rauch case. The US tribunal said the marriage was invalid, but the Roman Rota overturned the decision. So the US tribunals and the Vatican Rota do not agree on what is valid and what is invalid. If the US Catholic tribunal and the Vatican Roman Rota cannot agree on what is meant by the ambiguous term “valid”, how can anyone else know? So although one can claim that the teaching on remarriage after divorce has not changed, it is not really true, because the definitions of the words used to define the teaching have changed. And even then there is disagreement on what these words really mean. Teaching with ambiguous terms allows for changes, at least in an operational sense of the term, even though theoretically people can argue that it is not so.
I’ll just pick a few and you can decide whether they are reversible.
Yes, the teaching on remarriage after divorce is reversible in an operational sense because the terms “valid” and “invalid” have been redefined to align with modern secular concepts.

Last edited:
When was slavery ever pronounced as a doctrine?
It’s all over the Bible. God gives several commands about treating slaves properly.

Jesus performs two miracles on slaves (the healing of the centurion’s slaves, and the healing of the High Priest’s slave’s ear), and he used slaves as characters in four parables (prodigal son, talents, unforgiving servant, and wicked husbandman), and also uses slavery (or slaves) in a number of metaphors (most famously, “No man can serve two masters.”).

Paul also writes about slaves a number of times, specifically where he demands that they remain loyal to their masters (Ephesians 6).

I’m not sure how much more authoritative you can be than God, Jesus, and Paul all explicitly accepting of slavery. Jesus condemned a lot, but never any of the slavery he frequently encountered, and was happy to use slaves and slavery as characters and metaphors in his teaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back