J. Lo and the "Lowdown" on Fur

• Thread starter Thread starter Catholicvegan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catholicvegan

Jennifer Lopez’s new fashion line features the skin of dead animals. No one should be wearing this, and it is awful that she has to show it off whenever she goes somewhere. Don’t support this, and don’t support the cruel fur industry by buying and wearing fur! If you would like more information, please, visit these websites:

jlodown.com

furisdead.com

peta.org

Well, Catholic vegan we might have our political differences but I most certainly agree with not wearing fur 👍

Would you expect Lopez to wear a “good Republican cloth coat”?
(Obscure reference for us old folks)

Anyone who wants to wear fur has a right to do so. I don’t wear fur, but I do have a couple of leather jackets and my shoes and belts are from leather. I love steak, hamburgers, ham and bacon. Chicken and turkey are good too. If you don’t want to eat meat or wear animal products that is you right but don’t try to shove you beliefs down my throat. Animals should not be tortured but those of us who want to use them for food and clothing have a right to do so with out interference from PETA or anyone else.

40.png
Catholicvegan:
Jennifer Lopez’s new fashion line features the skin of dead animals. No one should be wearing this, and it is awful that she has to show it off whenever she goes somewhere. Don’t support this, and don’t support the cruel fur industry by buying and wearing fur! If you would like more information, please, visit these websites:
And no one should be wearing cotton.

That is just as immoral as wearing fur or eating animals.

No one should eat vegatables either. It is so cruel, farmers grow cotten or vegatables in an unnatural way only to kill them for use by man.

It is so cruel, what about the plant’s feelings?

There’s a thin line between killing animals for food and wearing their fur for fashion. Eating them provides us with essential nutrients that sustains life, but I have never heard of anyone dying from not wearing a fur coat. Killing an animal for fashion means is wrong and frivolous. No one is “shoving” beliefs down anyone’s throat just because they disagree with this horrible practice.

40.png
ByzCath:
And no one should be wearing cotton.

That is just as immoral as wearing fur or eating animals.

No one should eat vegatables either. It is so cruel, farmers grow cotten or vegatables in an unnatural way only to kill them for use by man.

It is so cruel, what about the plant’s feelings?
Not to mention all the pesticides they use to kill bugs, herbicides to kill weeds, etc.

That said, I do think that trapping and killing animals exclusively for their fur is wasteful. With cattle, the entire animal is being used - meat going for food, skin going for leather, snouts & entrails going to hot dogs and cat food. I’m not sure what they do with the carcasses of mink or fox. I’m pretty certain that earlier cultures (like Eskimo) that made use of fur for clothing as necessary protection from the cold also used every other bit of the animal. But something about us killing animals today purely for a luxury good strikes me as wasteful, if not immoral.

I also don’t know if the treatment of the animals is any more or less humane than that of chickens, for example. But again in that case, the whole animal (minus head, feathers, and entrails) is being consumed.

Bobby Jim:
I also don’t know if the treatment of the animals is any more or less humane than that of chickens, for example. But again in that case, the whole animal (minus head, feathers, and entrails) is being consumed.
You’ve obviously never eaten some of the more exotic Asian dishes!!!:eek:

I don’t agree with killing an animal just for the fur (as is the case with minks, etc…) but I absolutely have no problem with using an entire animal for the benefit of mankind (food, clothing, etc…). Although, I do like a nice veggie burger now and then.

I just think the J.Lo line is just plain ugly. Even if I did have the figure for it, I wouldn’t be caught dead in anything she designed.
I guess if you have money, you can call yourself a clothes designer.

40.png
Catholicvegan:

jlodown.com

furisdead.com

peta.org
I am not a vegan but I would never wear fur, there are enough
warm coats for sale and I don´t need a second hand coat (fur).

Emmy

So tell my why this twit is any kind of role model or why anyone would like to emulate her idiotic behavior? I cannot fathom the hold that empty headed celebrities have on people.

Lisa N

I have several people I would like to respond to, so, here goes:

Dear Lance,
If any “right” exists to wear fur, there is no reason that those of us who oppose it should keep our opinions quiet. Lord knows that on this forum, hardly anyone keeps their opinions quiet. Unfortunately, we live in a world where everything is designed according to the “needs” of humans- animals are simply tools for exploitation. People can and will continue to eat meat and wear fur because they know that they won’t be stopped. When it comes to being humane, we can either continue to exploit animals (logically, that means that we are either in denial of/ignorant of/knowledgable of and unconcerned with the treatment of animals) or, we can not support this horrible cruelty. And of you argue that the human problems are greater than the animals problems, well, don’t think that I don’t care about human issues in the world- I do very much. But I also care about animals. Do you?

Dear ByzCath,
As a vegan and animal rights supporter, I have heard numerous futile arguments for the wearing of fur/eating of meat, and in support of similar cruelties. These questions are designed to “turn the tables” on the person, and put them on the spot. Anyway, to answer your question: since plants lack a central nervous system, there is no reason to believe that they can feel pain.

Dear Stratus Rose,
I agree with you about the fur (how it isn’t needed), but I disagree with you about the statement that “meat is required to sustain life.” As someone who doesn’t eat meat, I am (obviously) still alive. If you argue that protein is a problem, consider this: the top 3 vegan protein sources -tempeh, seitan and cooked soybeans- have 31,19-31, and 29 grams of protein, respectively. All have 0 milligrams of cholesterol. In contrast, the top 3 meat protein sources -baked chicken, pork roast and sirloin steak, have only 28, 25 and 24 grams of protein, along with 95, 79 and 84 milligrams of protein, respectively (data taken from What, No Meat?!: What to Do When Your Kid Becomes a Vegetarian by Debra H.Poneman and Emily A. Greene). Clearly, the vegan choices have more protein with absolutely no cholesterol and, most importantly, no awful animal cruelty. In the words of vegetarian Dave Scott (six-time Ironman champion), the notion that people need meat to stay healthy is simply “ridiculous fallacy.”

Dear Geezerbob,
Do you mean leather clothes like that? Or fur clothes? Please explain. Thanks!

A note to everyone: I would be glad to debate about any issue involving animal rights (eating meat, animal experimentation, animals used for entertainment, animals used for clothing, etc.) Please feel free to ask any questions- lively discussion is great!

Eat meat or not, we all will die. The goal is to get to heaven. Animals should not be abused, but we have dominion over them. They may be used for food or clothing. Let us not make portray them as equal to humans.

40.png
Lance:
Anyone who wants to wear fur has a right to do so. I don’t wear fur, but I do have a couple of leather jackets and my shoes and belts are from leather. I love steak, hamburgers, ham and bacon. Chicken and turkey are good too. If you don’t want to eat meat or wear animal products that is you right but don’t try to shove you beliefs down my throat. Animals should not be tortured but those of us who want to use them for food and clothing have a right to do so with out interference from PETA or anyone else.
Amen to that, brother.

40.png
Catholicvegan:
Dear Stratus Rose,
I agree with you about the fur (how it isn’t needed), but I disagree with you about the statement that “meat is required to sustain life.” As someone who doesn’t eat meat, I am (obviously) still alive. If you argue that protein is a problem, consider this: the top 3 vegan protein sources -tempeh, seitan and cooked soybeans- have 31,19-31, and 29 grams of protein, respectively. All have 0 milligrams of cholesterol. In contrast, the top 3 meat protein sources -baked chicken, pork roast and sirloin steak, have only 28, 25 and 24 grams of protein, along with 95, 79 and 84 milligrams of protein, respectively (data taken from What, No Meat?!: What to Do When Your Kid Becomes a Vegetarian by Debra H.Poneman and Emily A. Greene). Clearly, the vegan choices have more protein with absolutely no cholesterol and, most importantly, no awful animal cruelty. In the words of vegetarian Dave Scott (six-time Ironman champion), the notion that people need meat to stay healthy is simply “ridiculous fallacy.”
You might not need meat to survive, but I’ve never met a vegan or vegetarian who looked healthy. They all are supermodel thin and have this wierd gray color to their skin.

40.png
Catholicvegan:
Dear Stratus Rose,
I’m not about to make a silly statement that you can’t survive without meat, but I will make a comment about the protein content above. First protein in soybeans is not a complete protein. Please see hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein.html
For the explanation. Second, you can not just make blanket statements about how much protein is in any given food without actually saying what the portion size is. From the above link:

Food Serving Weight Protein
(grams) (grams)
Hamburger, extra lean 6 ounces 170 48.6
Chicken, roasted 6 ounces 170 42.5
Fish 6 ounces 170 41.2
Tofu 1/2 cup 126 10.1
Soymilk 1 cup 245 6.7
Kidney beans, cooked 1/2 cup 87 7.6

Another chart on
guardianhealth.org/Newsletters/Update1/page2.html
puts
Hamburger, 4 oz. 25gms protein
Steak, 4 oz. 28gms
Tofu, 4 oz. 10gms
Kidney Beans, 1 cup 14gms
Soy Beans, 1 cup 14gms
Lentils, 1 cup 14gms

So for 2 cups of soybeans you get 4 oz steak.

Maybe these sources are just bad, would you care to explain your numbers?

Also, not all soy beans are created equal, I found this interesting:
cornandsoybeandigest.com/news/soybean_low_protein_puts/

I also know a weight loss expert that thinks it is hard to get the correct amount of protein in your system depending, interestingly enough, on your family history: website lucybeale.com/ She doesn’t have advice for free on her website, I believe it is in her weight loss book… I don’t expect you to buy it, you’ll just have to trust me 😛

One other anecdote, while I am not for wearing fur normally (no problems with leather products), there is one good reason for certain fur: ie from an iditarod website:
chathamma.com/iditarod/Teachers/PlantAnimalAdaptations.html
wolverine fur is resistant to frost. For this reason,
use it to make fur ruff’s for parka hoods, since the wearer’s breath will not condense on the fur
I believe at least wolf fur also has this property. I acknowledge that very few people would have need of this property in general, but it could be a reason for those who live in upper Alaska/Canada. This, of course, has little to do with J Lo or the fur she has in her clothing line, which I find contemptable.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back