Again why would he be sorry he was in hell. I thought being sorry was to repent.
No; to repent and to be sorry are two different things. To be sorry is to experience an emotion of sorrow. To repent is to actually
change your behaviour.
Simple example: a police officer stops a motorist who is going the wrong way down a one-way street. The motorist has two options; he can argue with the police officer and say, But Officer, I was only
going one way!" (he is unrepentant; he does not change direction) or, he can say, “Oh, I am sorry, Officer,” and then he turns his car around and starts to go in the right direction (he is
repentant - he
changes direction).
But sorrow is only the first step - it must be followed by repentance, or else it cannot be forgiven. If the motorist says, “Oh, I am very sorry, Officer,” but then keeps travelling in the same direction, the officer will be required to write him a ticket for going the wrong way on a one way street - his sorrow is not enough to gain him forgiveness.
I thought when you repent you are admitting you were wrong, and are asking forgiveness for your sins. I thought that if you are truely sorry for a sin you can be forgiven.
Not if you don’t intend to repent - turn around and change your ways.
I was always taught the only way you could not be forgiven for a sin is to truely not be sorry. I always thought to feel remorse was a grace from God, to keep us on the right track.
Yes, this is very true, since the feeling of remorse tells us that something needs to be changed. But it is when we change that we are forgiven. Not just when we feel remorse.
So you are saying that when evil people hurt others they really do feel remorse? But since they are evil they keep doing it anyway, but they are sorry?
I am sure there are situations where people do what they know is wrong, and feel sorry for doing it - but do you think they are forgiven, simply because they feel sorry for what they are continuing to do?
And where did I ever say you can get away with any sin without doing penance. Suffering for your sins is what penance is. Which is what We call Purgatory, you are sorry for your sin, and now you are getting cleansed from that sin. How long you will be punished for that sin, is up to God. That is why we call Purgatory a temportal punishment. God controls Purgatory. The devil controls hell.
Actually, we are told in Psalm 139 that God is also in control of Hell - that God knows us and loves us, even if we are in the seventh circle of Hell.