C
Cham65
Guest
Hi I was looking for some inspiration for lent. What is everyone doing for lent this year
god bless
god bless
Last edited:
Beans cooked with some onion over rice. Tortas made with refried beans spread on a crisp corn tortilla with cheese on top. Doesn’t have to be fancy. Honestly, a lot of things we think of as “side dishes” work as a meal. An example is Espinacas con Garbanzos; both the Spaniards and the Greeks have a version that I know of. I’m sure there are variations on the idea all across the Mediterranean. Another direction to go would be the Italian bread soups. Lots of variations there, too. Potato and leek soups. Lentils over rice or lentil soups with bread. Lots of these are a variation on the super basic beans with onion and/or garlic and rice and/or bread or some variation of cornmeal, but it is also what people lived on.Does anyone know any meet free basic simple meals.
There’s nothing that stops your penance from including doing all of the cooking. Lots of vegetarian dishes are also good as a side dish for a piece of grilled or roasted meat. (In other words, just because you give up meat doesn’t mean she has to do it.)I’m giving up meat. Haven’t told my bride yet…she may not be too happy about it.![]()
It would do her a lot more good if you’d take care of at least some nights of the cooking for everybody.No and I don’t expect her to. I am going to tell her that I will take care of my meals for the season and if she or the kids want anything that (name removed by moderator)repare, they are welcome to it.
The traditional meals of the poor have a lot of dishes that are frugal but not what I’d call a penance to eat. That’s OK, though! Developing a love for simplicity is a good thing. It is alright to enjoy it.Great Petra
I really like the idea of those recipes and will definitely have that for dinner. I love fish and kind of feel i am not fasting properly and should be eating more simpler meal.
If she and the kids aren’t into that much meatless, it isn’t hard to do the cooking where you only eat the sidedish. I have a black bean chili that we used to always make for cookouts, and it was a meal for the vegans. It only gets better with time, and it is really good with rice or quinoa.I do and will continue to.