List 30 movies you love that are probably on no one's all-time best list

• Thread starter Thread starter Cranch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing earth-shattering here, but these are some of my favorites:

***The Passion ***-- probably the Best movie ever made as far as realism and depth. However, it is very difficult to watch and I usually will only put it on twice a year: Ash Wednesday and Good Friday – but excellent movie.

***The Sound of Music ***-- a beautiful story based on a true story. However, I have only a few suggestions I would have made for the producers of this classic: Julie Andrews is a marvelous actress, but her script seemed to be “non-authentic” in some cases regarding how a nun or Catholic postulant might respond in certain instances. For example, I found that when she would make the Sign of the Cross, it was a little rushed and somewhat uncomfortable for her. Just little things like that. I would hope that if ever this fine of a movie is ever embarked upon by Hollywood or anyone, they would have more authentic consultants – maybe more Catholic nuns on the set… But anyway…

Cecil B. DeMille’s ***The Ten Commandments ***with Charton Heston – put that movie on a large screen TV at home with Surround Sound (better have dinner catered though, its about 3 or 4 hours!) Its a Classic and all the young families need to show their pre-teens this one!

How about ***Fiddler on the Roof ***-- another great Classic to watch on a large screen TV, surround sound and get out the Popcorn!
(…my kids crawl out of the room when I put this one on, we’ve only seen it 29 times and counting…) 😛

Glory – a Very Good Movie with Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman, it is the story of the first black regiment to fight for the North in the Civil War. Its a real tear-jerker, be sure to bring the Kleenex.

The Patriot - with Mel Gibson. This movie is better for older teens on up, it can be pretty gory as most of Mel’s movies are. However, my son watched it when he was 11 and has been watching it now for three years – he loves anything to do with the Revolutionary or Civil wars.

Lastly, I liked Moonstruck with Cher and Nicolas Cage. This movie is probably rated PG or R, I wouldn’t recommend it for younger audiences. Certainly I would not agree with the morality of Cher’s character, but the movie is absolutely charming, the Italian music in the background is enchanting, and the story line is funny and down to earth. If you’re Catholic and Italian, particularly if you grew up on the East Coast – you will probably like this movie.

Not sure I can hit 30, but let’s have a go. Off the top of my head, in no particular order:
  1. The Fisher King
  2. Withnail and I
  3. Amelie
  4. Cinema Paradiso
  5. Il Postino
  6. Ciao, Professore!
  7. El Hijo de la Novia (“Son of the Bride” - *I defy anyone who has had a family member suffering from Alzheimer’s to not **bawl *by the end of this film)
  8. El Mismo Amor, La Misma Lluvia (“Same Love, Same Rain” - same Argentinian actor - Ricardo Darín - as the previous film)
  9. The Three Musketeers (the 1973 version Richard Lester directed)
  10. The Four Musketeers (its sequel)
  11. Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail
  12. A Fish Called Wanda
  13. Clockwise (*another, **very *funny John Cleese film)
  14. A Hard Day’s Night (The Beatles)
  15. Help! (The Beatles) - George: “Run, Ringo! It’s a thingy! A fiendish thingy!”:rotfl:
  16. Head (The Monkees) :hypno:
  17. Hair :hypno: :hypno:
  18. Spinal Tap
  19. French Kiss (Not as racy as it sounds–it’s a romantic comedy with Kevin Kline and Meg Ryan, if you don’t know it)
  20. Window To Paris
  21. Under The Tuscan Sun (*I’m a sucker for romantic comedies set in Europe 😉 *)
  22. Shadows In The Sun (another film set in magnificent Tuscany!)
  23. Ace Ventura, Pet Detective (a-aa-all righty then!) 😃
  24. The Song of Bernadette (hmmm … my sole religious entry)
  25. Shrek
  26. Shrek II
  27. Batman Begins (for the little kid in me who used to love Batman comic books!)
  28. The Pink Panther (*the first, classic Peter Sellers version. A pox on the evil Steve Martin re-make! 😛 *)
  29. Young Frankenstein
  30. There’s Something About Mary (Okay, there’s a lot of tasteless humor in it, but there’s some terribly funny stuff too!)
Whaddya know … I made it to thirty! In spite of a few very commercial ones on there (Shrek, Batman Begins etc.), in keeping with the spirit of the OP, I tried to limit it to personal favorites, films that I love that I never tire of watching but that wouldn’t necessarily make the “all time best” lists.

Thanks for the post! That was fun!

Contact
Operation Petticoat
Father Goose
Rhubarb (I wish they’d bring this out on DVD!)
Key Largo
The Lathe of Heaven (the original version, not the remake)
Escape from New York
Where Eagles Dare
Two Mules for Sister Sara
Overboard
Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club
Outland
Stand by Me
The Natural
Ice Castles
Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows
Yours, Mine, and Ours (the original)
Hoosiers
Breaking Away
Mad Max
The Road Warrior
The Man in the Moon
Deep Impact
It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Cutting Edge
Car Wash

Stalag 17
Patton
Pride & Prejudice (A&E version)
Singing In the Rain
The Bad Seed (1956)
Hud
Das Boot
My Fair Lady
The Ninth Day
Karol: The Man Who Became Pope
My Man Godfrey (1936)
Life with Father
The Shop Around the Corner
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Hotel Rwanda
Star Trek II
American in Paris
Father Goose
The Pirate
On the Town
Guys and Dolls
Elmer Gantry
Sabrina (1954)
Father of the Bride (1950)
Father’s Little Dividend (1951)
The Night of the Iguana (1964)
Pillow Talk
Cool Hand Luke
The Fisco Kid
Anne of Green Gables

1. Under The Tuscan Sun (*I’m a sucker for romantic comedies set in Europe 😉 *)
  2. Shadows In The Sun (another film set in magnificent Tuscany!)
Have you seen Enchanted April? A gem of a movie filmed, I think in Liguria, next to Tuscany.

Did anyone mention “The Odd Couple” or “Coal Miner’s Daughter”? These are both very good.

I also love “Office Space” and “Princess Bride” as some of you have mentioned. I can watch them any time and every time their on TV.

LOST IN TRANSLATION-Has- been American actor in Japan(Bill Murray) to make a commerical befriends young American wife-(Scarlett Johansen) both resist temptation to have affair

THE FACTS OF LIFE-Bob Hope and Lucille Ball- both neglected by their spouses, who fall for each other- discover the grass isn’t greener on the other side of the fence.

REGARDING HENRY- arrogant,unethical lawyer-(Harrison Ford) and his wife(Annette Benning) discover the true meaning of life, love and humanity when he suffers a terrible head injury and must learn to walk read and talk all over again.

FIRST CONTACT(STar Trek Movie) Just cause it’s cool, and I love time-travel flicks.

KATE AND LEOPOLD- same as above and I’m a hopeless romantic.

BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES-Three WW!! vets try to reintergrate into their lives and society after the war-including one who has lost both his arms.

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL- ITALIAN JEWISH MAN IN CONCENTRATION CAMP TRYS TO MAKE THE BEST LIFE FOR HIS YOUNG SON.I iI cried so hard at the end of this movie.

There are more but I need coffee now.

Oh yes, More:

A Walk to Remember- Great story- High school cool guy falls for
young(nerdy) reliegeous woman when he is thrust into her world.

Galaxy Quest- I LOVE this movie-seen it umpteen times- great spoof of Sci Fi flicks.

The 6th Day - Not the greatest movie- but the message about cloning/power over life was great.(and another good excuse for Arnie to wreck things)

Junior Miss with Peggy Ann Garner as a teen who gets into trouble playing matchmaker

Summer Magic with Hayley Mills and Burl Ives singing Ugly Bug Ball

The Enchanted Cottage where love sees only beauty

Northanger Abbey where I had a crush on Peter Firth before there was a Colin Firth!

I watched a movie tonight that has been added to my favorites list: Empire of the Sun. What a truely moving film. I could not believe how powerful Christian Bale’s performance was in that movie. That was truely amazing for a 13 year old boy. He has to be the most talented actor of our generation.

OOPS! One more:

Belizaire the Cajun- with Armand Assante…true story, I think
Hey, I love that movie too.

Here are some other movies I love that I don’t think are on too many people’s favorites list:
Finding Graceland
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Mrs. Winterbourne
My Family
Dominick and Eugene
Sommersby
All I Want for Christmas
Touched by Love
The Blue Bird
Fly Away Home

I watched a movie tonight that has been added to my favorites list: Empire of the Sun. What a truely moving film. I could not believe how powerful Christian Bale’s performance was in that movie. That was truely amazing for a 13 year old boy. He has to be the most talented actor of our generation.
This movie has been on my top 5 list for ever and ever- it is a masterpiece. I very rarely come across anyone else who has even heard of it though - they don’t know what they’re missing! 🙂

apocalypse now
night of the hunter
paths of glory
millers crossing
rebecca
the unforgiven
the searchers
the godfather 1 & 2
lawrence of arabia
chopper
goodfellas
taxi driver
napoleon dynamite
kingdom of heaven
the man who never was
the man who wasnt there
the last emporer
the man who came to dinner
the winslow boy
the pianist
the silence of the lambs
bridge on the river kwai
a bridge too far
crouching tiger hidden dragon
the big lebowski
the scarlet pimpernel ( lesley howard version )
arsenic and old lace
a clockwork orange

This movie has been on my top 5 list for ever and ever- it is a masterpiece. I very rarely come across anyone else who has even heard of it though - they don’t know what they’re missing! 🙂
It is a masterpiece. I love those kind of movies.

a few that i don’t think have been mentioned yet:

secondhand lions
the gods must be crazy (I & II)
my life as a house
starman
the last starfighter
transylvania 6500
two weeks with love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back