List 30 movies you love that are probably on no one's all-time best list

• Thread starter Thread starter Cranch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Man for All Seasons (Enough said)
  2. Lear (Paul Scoffeld version)
A Paul Scofield fan. 👍 The man has never had a less than stellar performance: Martin Chuzzlewit, Judge Danforth in The Crucible, Mark Van Doren in Quiz Show, King Charles in Branagh’s Henry V……Genius!

This is a great thread! Here is a quick 30 in no particular order:
  1. Amadeus (1984, Forman)
  2. Andrei Rublev (1969, Tarkovsky)
  3. Grand Illusion (1937, Renoir)
  4. It (1927, Badger)
  5. Ikiru (1952, Kurosawa)
  6. The 400 Blows (1959, Truffaut)
  7. Double Indemnity (1944, Wilder)
  8. The Burmese Harp (1956, Ichikawa)
  9. The Golem (1920, Wegener)
  10. 8 1/2 (1963, Fellini)
  11. Grave of the Fireflies (1988, Takahata)
  12. M (1931, Lang)
  13. Metropolis (1927, Lang)
  14. Pandora’s Box (1929, Pabst)
  15. Animal Crackers (1930, Heerman)
  16. Late Spring (1949, Ozu)
  17. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928, Dreyer)
  18. The 39 Steps (1935, Hitchcock)
  19. The Rules of the Game (1939, Renoir)
  20. Sadie Thompson (1928, Walsh)
  21. Beyond the Rocks (1922, Wood)
  22. All About Eve (1950, Mankiewicz)
  23. My Neighbor Totoro (1988, Miyazaki)
  24. Notorious (1946, Hitchcock)
  25. The Seven Samurai (1954, Kurosawa)
  26. The Seventh Seal (1957, Bergman)
  27. Sunrise (1927, Murnau)
  28. The Third Man (1949, Reed)
  29. Wild Strawberries (1957, Bergman)
  30. A Story of Floating Weeds (1934, Ozu)
In case any of you were interested, I was quite surprised to see such an excellent list of films chosen by the Vatican in 1995 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of motion pictures (also when the American Film Institute did it’s top “100 Years…100 Movies” list)

here’s the link: cinepad.com/vatican.htm

Cranch,

I just realized that you had already included 1984 at the top of your list. Sorry to duplicate, but it’s nice to know that someone else is on the same page! I am assuming that you were referring to the same (1984 John Hurt) version. Have you ever seem the BBC version from the 50’s with Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasance?

I am also glad to know that I am not the only one who likes Paul Scofield’s Lear. I remember reading an article in Crisis not too long ago that really ripped it apart and compared it unfavorably to Olivier’s made for TV King Lear. I don’t know too many of Scofield’s other works, but I’ll have to check out the ones you recommended. Thanks!

I don’t know who else’s lists they might make, but here are movies that stand out for me:

Tell Me that You Love Me, Junie Moon
Last Summer
Hotel Rwanda
Notting Hill
Chocolat
The Village
Them
It Came from Outer Space
Schindler’s List
Blood Diamonds
Amazing Grace
The Way We Were
Summer of '42
On a Clear Day
Butterflies are Free
Breezy
Love Story
Romeo and Juliet (Zeferelli version)
A Time to Kill
The Deerhunter
Dead Poets Society
Interview with the Vampire
Carrie
Caddyshack
Airplane
Meet the Parents
Halloween (first one only)
Black Christmas
Saving Private Ryan

Cranch,

I just realized that you had already included 1984 at the top of your list. Sorry to duplicate, but it’s nice to know that someone else is on the same page! I am assuming that you were referring to the same (1984 John Hurt) version. Have you ever seem the BBC version from the 50’s with Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasance?

I am also glad to know that I am not the only one who likes Paul Scofield’s Lear. I remember reading an article in Crisis not too long ago that really ripped it apart and compared it unfavorably to Olivier’s made for TV King Lear. I don’t know too many of Scofield’s other works, but I’ll have to check out the ones you recommended. Thanks!
No worries! You’re free to list any of your personal faves whether they’ve appeared or not. I just ask people to leave off the universally recognized classics as that’s not the point of the thread. It is interesting, actually, to see when someone likes the same film as you and yet also lists something you wouldn’t watch (or watch again) if someone paid you. For instance, have you seen this post of mine? 😃

All the Paul Scofield roles I listed are supporting parts, but he is just so good and I think the movies are all worth seeing. Martin Chuzzlewit is a BBC mini-series adaptation of a great (and funny) Dickens book. I think I saw it on PBS’ Masterpiece Theater.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to come up with all 30, but I’ll try. I might include some movies cited by my fiance as obscure but good movies, as he is a waaaay bigger movie buff than I am. 😛

In no particular order:
  1. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (a wonderful and unique plot idea in my opinion…kind of like a first-generation Justice League)
  2. The Crow (Recommended by my fiance and I have to say the plot has me completely intrigued. Now if I could just get around to seeing it…)
  3. The Corpse Bride (An oft-overlooked sweet story)
  4. Ever After (Just plain romantic)
  5. CATS (My all-time favorite musical)
  6. The Phantom of the Opera (Andrew Lloyd Webber musical turned movie…nowhere near as good as the live show but I don’t have to drive or pay 80 dollarrs to see it 😉 )
  7. Mary Poppins (One of the more underrated Disney movies in my opinion…it’s got Julie Andrews and **** Van ****, what’s not to love?)
  8. Joseph (Version starring the lead dancer from “Strictly Ballroom” whose name I cannot at the moment recall)
  9. Strictly Ballroom (A bit cheesy at times but I think that’s done on purpose for effect)
  10. The Scarlet Pimpernell (made for TV movie with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour)
  11. 1776 (History set to music)
  12. Signs (nice message in an intriguing story)
  13. Lady in the Water (another good one from director M. Night Shyamalan…I highly recommend any and all of his movies)
  14. Murder By Death (older and slightly strange but hysterical comedy)
  15. Clue (Same as above)
  16. My Fair Lady (A sparkling bit of cinema, Audrey Hepburn is simply wonderful in this film)
  17. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (I think almost everyone can relate to that movie to some extent)
  18. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (Andrew Lloyd Webber musical version of the bible story…a ton of fun!)
  19. What’s Up Doc? (Screwball comedy starring Barbara Streisand that’s great for a laugh anytime)
  20. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (To me, this movie embraces the fact that God invented man’s sense of humor and can appreciate it more than anyone else. After all, who doesn’t enjoy a little elbow-in-the-ribs every now and again?)
  21. Riverdance (An all-around dazzling piece of work)
  22. One Night With The King (A retelling of the story of Esther. A very beautiful film.)
  23. West Side Story (Not sure if this qualifies as a classic or not, so I’ll just put it down, because I love it so much!)
  24. Emma (Starring Gwenyth Paltrow. A Jane Austen classic!)
  25. Sense & Sensebility (Another Austen classic, wonderfully executed to my way of thinking)
  26. Feet of Flames (A fantastic spectacle of a show)
  27. A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum (A musical comedy with Michael Crawford and Zero Mostel)
  28. The Princess Bride (Wonderful romantic comedy, a parody of sorts on “classic” medeival romance)
  29. Godspell (A 60s-70s musical take on the life of Christ. It’s become quite obvious that I’m into musicals, I suppose. 😛 )
  30. Johnny Dangerously (Gangster comedy starring Michael Keaton)

I don’t even think that I could list 30 movies. Can’t we keep it to five or something?:confused:

1. Joseph (Version starring the lead dancer from “Strictly Ballroom” whose name I cannot at the moment recall)
  2. Strictly Ballroom (A bit cheesy at times but I think that’s done on purpose for effect)
Paul Mercurio. And yes! Many Aussie movies like ‘Strictly Ballroom’ are quirky and cheesy on purpose…I guess that is why I love them so much! 🙂

Therese
Dairy of a Country Priest
Song of Bernadette

and more recently…

Unforgiven (for the sheer escapism)
Vertigo (if only for Jimmy Stewart)

Another one I loved but I may be the only one:" Bronco Billy "
Not one of Eastwood’s best, but he had fun doing it.
Kathy

I don’t even think that I could list 30 movies. Can’t we keep it to five or something?:confused:
Post any number! I only posted a short list, and I add a film or two now or then.

Here’s another favorite:

Swept Away… by an Unusual Destiny in the Blue Sea of August

(in Italian, with subtitles)

:o

Thanks for the welcome. 🙂 Yes, ‘Diary’… the brain-finger connection needs some work!

Since I’m here… another favourite - “Time Stood Still” (Il tempo si e fermato) - black and white, subtitled, and nearly 50 years old, but it still moves me. Watched it with my daughter (12 y.o.) recently and she loved it. (Well, she loves Harry Potter too… what can a Dad do?? 😉 ) If she watches it with her granddaughter one day, it may be 100 years old… and I’ll be watching from Paradise :signofcross: :heaven: (hopefully!)

How’d I miss this? Fabulous!

In no particular order:

the Bishop’s Wife
Father of the Bride with Spencer Tracy
Father’s Little Dividend
To Sir With Love
Lilies of the Field
Sarah, Plain and Tall
the Nun’s Story
Song of Bernadette
Uncle Buck
Breakfast Club
Timerider
Blazing Saddles
the Producers (THE ORIGINAL)
Repo Man
Bells of St. Mary
Going My Way
A CT Yankee in King Arthur’s Court
Quiet Man
Sons of Katie Elder
any “Road to” picture
Blue Hawaii
Change of Habit
Viva Las Vegas
Robin and the Seven Hoods
All Quiet On The Western Front (1930)
the Animal Farm cartoon (1954)
Three Godfathers
the Green Berets
Donovan’s Reef

Other replies have inspired me to amend my list:

Cosi- An Australian film about an actor who gets work as a recreational therapist in a hospital for the mentally ill. He directs a production of Cosi fan Tutti with the patients.

Down and Dirty-It’s been years since I saw this Italian film at a film festival…Nino Manfredi stars as the “head” of a very large, poor, and messed-up Italian family. Warning: It’s not the Von Trapps or the Gilbreths.

If a Man Answers- with Sandra Dee and Bobby Darren,I don’t know why.

1918-by Horton Foote, about the flu epidemic in a small town. Anything by Horton Foote…and anything by William Inge.

The Field-with Richard Harris

OOPS! One more:

Belizaire the Cajun- with Armand Assante…true story, I think

I have more than 30, but forgot two:

Muriel’s Wedding (big in Australia, hardly here)

Daddy’s Dyin’, Who’s Got The Will- a study in greed under southwestern skies!

I have more than 30, but forgot two:

Muriel’s Wedding (big in Australia, hardly here)

Daddy’s Dyin’, Who’s Got The Will- a study in greed under southwestern skies!
Oh people, you don’t know what you’re missing out on if you haven’t seen Muriel’s Wedding!!!

Oh people, you don’t know what you’re missing out on if you haven’t seen Muriel’s Wedding!!!
Never has so much been said with ABBA in the background!:extrahappy: As good as “My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding” and then some (and I LOVE MBFGW).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back