List 30 movies you love that are probably on no one's all-time best list

• Thread starter Thread starter Cranch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I win a prize for providing you with the most new viewing material? 😃 But it’s only 7 this time round 'cause I meant the River Phoenix “Running on Empty”, may he Rest In Peace. Such a waste of life and talent. I love the story of how Harrison Ford got his first break…working as a carpenter on the set of Star Wars.

Judy Davis is an amazing actress…though I haven’t seen High Tide. You may also like “My Brilliant Career”. (There now - is it back up to 8? 🙂 ) Did you see her as Judy Garland? I think that one was actually ‘made for TV’.
:clapping: That’s all I got, sorry! Haven’t seen My Brilliant Career. I think I saw ten minutes of the Judy Garland one. If only the Harrison Ford story was true. He’d been working in TV and movies on and off for ten years by the time Star Wars rolled around. Including a decent part in American Graffiti directed by George Lucas. There is a story he had to convince Lucas, who wanted new faces, to let him audition for Star Wars. Lucas had brought him in to feed lines to other actors auditioning. It is true, though that he was a talented professional carpenter before making it big.

:clapping: That’s all I got, sorry! Haven’t seen My Brilliant Career. I think I saw ten minutes of the Judy Garland one. If only the Harrison Ford story was true. He’d been working in TV and movies on and off for ten years by the time Star Wars rolled around. Including a decent part in American Graffiti directed by George Lucas. There is a story he had to convince Lucas, who wanted new faces, to let him audition for Star Wars. Lucas had brought him in to feed lines to other actors auditioning. It is true, though that he was a talented professional carpenter before making it big.
:tiphat:

Awww…it’s not a true story? Pity - it’s a good one!

Okay, some of my favorites were already mentioned. So glad someone mentioned “The Scarlet & The Black” and “Plan 9 From Outer Space”. Here goes with a few tried and true, a few embarassing but true, and perhaps a bit obscure? For the most part, I’ll save my overtly Catholic movie list for another occasion.

1.) HERO Was this movie written by a Catholic? with Dustin Hoffman, Andy Garcia, Geena Davis
2.) WAITING FOR GUFFMAN-some great moments of pathos in a fictional American Heartland town. Yeah yeah yeah, it’s funny too but I love the deadpan improv stuff. Christopher Guest is brilliant
3.) THE INCREDIBLE MR LIMPET-Don’t ask…just an indulgence
4. ) NIGHT CROSSING-True suspense…escape fron East Germany
5.) SONG OF BERNADETTE Vincent Price’s soliloquy at end
6.) SWING KIDS Jazz, Jango, Jitterbug in Nazi Germany?
7.) PERSUASION I watch this Jane Austen film way too much
8.) THE EIGHTH DAY A motivational speaker is somehow teamed up with a retarded young man…must avoid chocolate.
9.) JEAN de FLORETTE & MANON OF THE SPRING water, greed, generations, secrets, consequences
10.) LUCIE ARNAC French Underground true story
11.) QUEEN MARGOT Warning-Blood, guts, sex, and poison: just another day with the D’Medici family
12.) BABETTE’S FEAST-food, Danish austerity (&fish) vs “Papist” pleasures (opera & quail in sarcophagus)
13.) POLLYANNA-food, fire & brimstone vs. the Good News, Americana, beautiful costumes, prisms, Agnes Moorehead, & “Jimmy McBean”-
14.) THE LITTLE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER the ultimate romantic comedy, this film is stolen from repeatedly. best screenplay writer Samson Raphaelson
Jimmy Stewart & Margaret O’Sullivan
15.) YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU Jimmy Stewart, Jean Arthur in this lesser shown Capra comedy. I actually love this more than the stage play of the same title. Quotes: “I want to be a lily!” “The Revolution is Coming” “Hey, sistah, ya wanna learn to jitterbug?” “Sing Pollywollidoodle All Day”
16.) SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS very politically incorrect but the men can dance, sing, build barns and learn to control themselves. The women scream, dance in long underwear, and stand up for each other at the end. And the Lonesome Polecat song gets me every time.
17.) GENGHIS BLUES-documentary of American jazz musician who goes to Tuvan throatsinging competition.
18.) IMPROMPTU a mad romp with George Sand, Chopin, LIszt, and friends. Large familiar ensemble of actors
19.) PRINCESS CARABOO Is this strange island savage for real or is she a good actress? Only her news reporter knows for sure. Phoebe Cates, Kevin Kline, Stephen Rea
20.) HOUSEKEEPING Life after the trainwrecks. Haunting. See the movie read the book.
21.) THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE Animation: Gramma, grandson, dog, the Tour de France & three jazzy dames
22.) FAR AND AWAY I will apologize for liking this epic so much…Tom Cruise & Nicole Kidman, younger and less “sophisticated” (or Scientologized?) a Ron Howard film
23.) THE COURT JESTER starring Danny Kaye & Glynnis John in pursuit of the Purple Pimpernel. “The Pestle with the vessel has the pellet with the poison.”
24.) WITCHES from Roald Dahl’s book. Kids get turned into rats by Angelica Huston because the parents are just not looking out for them. A cautionary tale.
25.) DADDY LONG LEGS another politically incorrect favorite. Fred Astaire is at his best here, especially doing the Slewfoot with Leslie Caron to Johnny Mercer’s music
26.) EVERSMILE, NEW JERSEY Daniel Day Lewis is a passionate dentist with a mission: zero tolerance of cavities!
Any Jane Austen story on film, old or new. I don’t care.
Any Bronte sister story on film, old or new.
Any E.M. Forster story on film
Anything with Ben Kingsley
Mr. Bean, the Movie
Sorry if I went over 30…
forums.catholic-questions.org/images/smilies/ani/ani_bowdown.gif

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers I agree with - the dancing from the guys is brilliant … and I like the Lonesome Polecat song, though some of the lines are clangers (‘a man can’t sleep when he sleeps with sheep’!!! :doh2: )

How could I forget this one: Invaders from Mars (from 1953, I believe).

I liked Night Crossing too.
And The Incredible Mr. Limpet reminded me about The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (“Let me clarify this”… I had a terrible fear of public speaking too)

I can’t give you thirty because no movie means that much to me anyway. But here is a list off the top of my head.

Hard Times
Gigot
My Life as a Dog
Stand By Me
Run Silent Run Deep
Das Boot
The Last Emperor
Play Misty For Me
It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Family Plot
Wait Until Dark
Sea Biscuit
An Innocent Man
Quigley Down Under
The Man From Snowy River
The Day of the Jackal(1973)
Hope and Glory
What’s Eating Gilbert Grape
The Italian Job
2001 a Space Odyssey
Alien
Paint Your Wagon
Marathon Man
The Ghosts and the Darkness
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Great Escape
The Naked Prey
Last of the Mohicans
The Twelve Chairs
Clear and Present Danger
Rambo(NOT!…I just threw this one in to see if anyone was paying attention.)
Oh Brother
The Sting
Hoosiers
Death Wish
Bridge Over the River Kuai
Bambi Meets Godzilla
Jurassic Park
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Zorro
The World’s Fastest Indian
Sling Blade

Forgive me for not reading all 9 pages but here are a few of my favorites…

The Quiet Man
Quo Vadis (1951)
Ben Hur
The Keys of the Kingdom
Bells of St. Marys
The Best Days of our Lives

My darker side…

Jaws
Alien

My funny bone…

Better off Dead
Let it Ride

3.) THE INCREDIBLE MR LIMPET-Don’t ask…just an indulgence

Is that the one where Don Knotts get turned into a fish???

If so, I remember it!

Lady Hawk (with Matthew Broderick)
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
The Dirty Dozen (one of my Dad’s faves)
anything with Danny Kaye
any early Jerry Lewis
Singin’ in the Rain
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Sixteen Candles
The Count of Monte Cristo (Jim Caviezel)
Cotton Club (Gregory Hines)
The Golden Child (Eddie Murphy)
Cabin in the Sky
Hawaii
Operation Petticoat
The Great Escape
The Guns of Navaronne
Around the World in 80 Days
Quigley Down Under
Sky High
Rush Hour
The 5th Element
anything with Die Hard in the title
The Brother from Outer Space

**Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
The Shower
Babette’s Feast
Run Lola Run
Arsenic and Old Lace
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Muriel’s Wedding
The Full Monty
Office Space
Ruthless People
The Prestige
Get Shorty
The Color Purple
Groundhog Day
The Last Emperor
Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
Speed
Four Weddings and A Funeral
Bread and Tulips
The Untouchables
Batman Begins
Footloose
Meatballs
Love Actually
Moonstruck
Eat, Drink, Man, Woman
Like Water for Chocolate
The Quick and the Dead
To Wong Fu With Love Julie Newmarr
Lagaan
Crocodile Dundee

And how can Star Trek: Wrath of Khan NOT be on anyone’s all-time best list?**

**Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
The Shower
Babette’s Feast
Run Lola Run
Arsenic and Old Lace
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Muriel’s Wedding
The Full Monty
Office Space
Ruthless People
The Prestige
Get Shorty
The Color Purple
Groundhog Day
The Last Emperor
Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
Speed
Four Weddings and A Funeral
Bread and Tulips
The Untouchables
Batman Begins
Footloose
Meatballs
Love Actually
Moonstruck
Eat, Drink, Man, Woman
Like Water for Chocolate
The Quick and the Dead
To Wong Fu With Love Julie Newmarr
Lagaan
Crocodile Dundee

And how can Star Trek: Wrath of Khan NOT be on anyone’s all-time best list?**
Aah, Bill and Ted 😃

Rambo(NOT!…I just threw this one in to see if anyone was paying attention.)
I’ll add Rocky I to my list.
Which reminds me to add Cinderella Man and Raging Bull also. I always have enjoyed boxing movies probably because of the determination and perserverance of the main characters.

I’d definitely add Cinderella Man to my list as well…great suggestion.

Here are at least some of my favorites, in no particular order – although one may discern a preference for early horror and silent comedies. Some are truly great, others not so much, yet others not at all, but I love them regardless. Here’s to artistic inconsistency and poor judgment!
  1. Nosferatu (1922 original)
  2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
  3. Sons of the Desert (Laurel and Hardy’s greatest feature)
  4. The Terror of Frankenstein (obscure Swedish/Canadian film - very faithful adaptation of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein)
  5. The Creeping Flesh (not a great work to be sure, but very atmospheric - and one of Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee’s best pairings)
  6. Horror Express (Telly Savalas plays a Cossack - need I say more? A guilty pleasure.)
  7. The General (Buster Keaton’s best)
  8. Eraserhead (David Lynch’s greatest)
  9. The Elephant Man (Another great from the King of Weird)
  10. Murder by Decree (Christpher Plummer as Sherlock Holmes on the Jack the Ripper Case. W/James Mason as Watson)
  11. Tomb of Ligeia (Probably the best in the Vincent Price/Roger Corman Poe series)
  12. The Fall of the House of Usher (2nd best?)
  13. A Man for All Seasons (Enough said)
  14. The Shining (still creeps me out after all these years)
  15. Nosferatu (1979 Herzog remake)
  16. Woyzeck (Another Herzog great)
  17. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (Classic Vincent Price camp horror)
  18. Any Hal Roach Laurel and Hardy short subject
  19. Curse of the Demon (Faithful adaptaion of an MR James story)
  20. Brother Sun, Sister Moon (A bit hippyesque - but still one of my faves)
  21. Jesus of Nazareth (Another Zeffirelli great - and my favorite film portrayal of our Lord).
  22. Becket
  23. Macbeth (Roman Polanski version)
  24. Lear (Paul Scoffeld version)
  25. The Innocents
  26. The Others
  27. The Mission (This in spite of some anti-Catholic historical inaccuracies)
  28. Safety Last (Harold Lloyd’s greatest)
  29. 1984 (1984 version w/Richard Burton and John Hurt)
  30. Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back