Ok Steve, Fair enough. I will walk you through it since I think it is an exceptionally important point.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states regarding papal infallibility:
Catholic Answers supports this understanding and quotes Vatican I:
Jimmy Akin quite clearly explains that although the ordinary way infallibility is given by the Pope is through the statement “I define” or the use of the word “define,” the Pope can and does use other language which also triggers this:
So there you have it, a Pope doesn’t have to use the term “define” for a statement to be infallible. Akin repeats this again in another post on infallibility:
Akin goes on to show that infallibility has been used by the Pope, in his view, many times throughout history (not just one or two as some claim).
In Pope Leo X’s Papal Bull, all of the qualifications for an infallible statement are met. He clearly acts:
- Writing as the head of the Church,
- Invoking the spirit and office of St. Peter,
- For edification of the entire Church,
- With the intention that his command would be taken authoritatively as the successor to Peter,
- On issues of faith and morals which are also doctrines (at least by his own admission).
In the Papal Bull, it is written:
Notice that the terms “decree and declare” are used to state that each of those statements of Luther are “condemned, reprobated, and rejected.”
Further, the Pope writes:
Peter’s authority is CLEARLY being invoked here. You can’t possibly deny it. It’s in plain language.
Bishop Gasser, who has been mentioned numerous times in this thread already, stated in his OFFICIAL commentary on Vatican I’s definition:
The idea that a limited number of infallible decrees have been released, based on your standard for papal infallibility, is totally false. “Thousands and thousands” have been released.
Is Pope Leo X’s Exsurge Domine one of them? Why wouldn’t it be? It meets every single requirement for the test of papal infallibility, including the language requirement (I know “define” isn’t used, but “declare” and “decree” was).
Further, you seem to be defending it anyway…So I am not sure why you are even arguing on this point.