LOST season 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmberDale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
and why can’t the rules set by Claudia between Jacob and MIB be broken?
Which rules are you referring to? The one about not hurting each other?

I think that rule got broken the first time Jacob broke MiB’s nose. And then the second time he broke MiB’s nose. Oh, and that one time when Jacob drowned his brother and separated his soul from his body.

😃

VC
 
Obviously MIB can not kill Jacob directly. He went to great machinations to set up Locke for the purpose of destroying Jacob. I am not sure exactly why Claudia and MIB could be killed though.

As far as Jacob goes, I do not think he is the evil guy you are convinced he is. He could not help loving his adopted mother, and MIB murdered her right in front of him. If I had to choose between following MIB or following Jacob, I would follow Jacob. If I was a Lostie though, I would probably choose the way of Rose and Bernard and follow no enigmatic leader.
 
Obviously MIB can not kill Jacob directly. He went to great machinations to set up Locke for the purpose of destroying Jacob. I am not sure exactly why Claudia and MIB could be killed though.
My guess is that you can’t kill the “guardian” or the “candidates”. Once Crazy-Mom passed the torch to Jacob, Jacob couldn’t be killed but she could. MiB was always fair gamem since he was never the guardian. Does that sound plausible?

VC
 
My guess is that you can’t kill the “guardian” or the “candidates”. Once Crazy-Mom passed the torch to Jacob, Jacob couldn’t be killed but she could. MiB was always fair gamem since he was never the guardian. Does that sound plausible?

VC
And cray-mom can’t kill herself, like Richard. She told MIB thank you when he stabbed her.
 
And cray-mom can’t kill herself, like Richard. She told MIB thank you when he stabbed her.
Yes, I think that’s right. That “thank you” is significant, isn’t it?

So - - was her destruction of the village , her returning to the cave, her sidetracking of Jacob “go get fire wood” because

she knew MiB would kill her
she knew Jacob would walk in on it
she knew Jacob would flush MiB?

She was up to something manipulative, I think. Why not kill MiB after she knocked him out? No. She wanted him angry and vengeful. And she wanted Jacob to see that.

Why?

WHY I say!?

VC
 
My guess is that you can’t kill the “guardian” or the “candidates”. Once Crazy-Mom passed the torch to Jacob, Jacob couldn’t be killed but she could. MiB was always fair gamem since he was never the guardian. Does that sound plausible?

VC
That’s what I was thinking, too.

Interesting episode. The only appearance of any of the principal cast was via flashbacks at the very end. I can’t believe the finale is less that two weeks away!
 
She was up to something manipulative, I think. Why not kill MiB after she knocked him out? No. She wanted him angry and vengeful. And she wanted Jacob to see that.
Was MIB still a candidate at that point? Could she not kill him because of the “rules”?
 
My guess is that you can’t kill the “guardian” or the “candidates”. Once Crazy-Mom passed the torch to Jacob, Jacob couldn’t be killed but she could. MiB was always fair gamem since he was never the guardian. Does that sound plausible?

VC
I agree. Once Jacob drank the wine, he was no longer fair game. It seems the candidates can kill each other, but not kill themselves.

This might be how the final Lostie candidate is confirmed. Perhaps Jacob’s ghost will lead the final candidate to the mystery wine (assuming a final candidate is even chosen or needed). One question though: isn’t the flask of wine that Jacob drank to become the Guardian the same one that he gave MIB after winning over Richard?

It does seem that the mother was arranging a conflict between her sons. She was probably tired of guarding the island and wanted a replacement. For whatever reason, maybe the rules state that you need at least 2 candidates to pick a new protector of the Island.
 
This might be how the final Lostie candidate is confirmed. Perhaps Jacob’s ghost will lead the final candidate to the mystery wine (assuming a final candidate is even chosen or needed). One question though: isn’t the flask of wine that Jacob drank to become the Guardian the same one that he gave MIB after winning over Richard?
I think that is what will happen – but I think it will be leading them to the light pool, and then giving them the wine.

My guess, if the wine is necessary, Jacob will just decant and then incant some more. He heard the “magic words” Crazy-Mom said.

VC
 
Was MIB still a candidate at that point? Could she not kill him because of the “rules”?
I don’t know.

Frankly, I’m not sure what these rules really are. MiB mentioned the rules of the backgammon game were put in place because it was his game.

But who enforces the rule of the candidates, etc. etc?

VC
 
Remember when Locke stated in season 2 to Ekko, “I looked into the heart of the Island, and what I saw was beautiful”. Then Ekko responded, “That is not what I saw”.

We all assumed Locke was referring to the Smoke Monster, but could Locke have stumbled on the cave of Light before confronting the Smoke Monster in Season 1? Locke may have lost the cave after being chased off by Smokie. Once lost, perhaps Locke could not find the light again. MIB complains in “Across the Sea” that he could never find the cave again even though he searched the entire Island. The cave of light might move or be hidden in the same manner that Jacob’s cabin and the Lighthouse are elusive. Perhaps Locke’s secret search for the Light, caused him to seize on the hatch as a solution to finding the Light again. That would explain a great deal why Locke went all pro-Island early in Season 1.
 
It does seem that the mother was arranging a conflict between her sons. She was probably tired of guarding the island and wanted a replacement. For whatever reason, maybe the rules state that you need at least 2 candidates to pick a new protector of the Island.
That would explain her weird look when the second twin was born. She changed her whole demeanor once the Baby in Black was born. I had interpreted as that the twins were fulfilling some sort of prophecy, similar to in the Chronicles of Narnia.

What did people here think of the scene with her giving the cup of wine to Jacob? It annoyed me because it seemed like they were making this woman imitate words and actions of a priest.
 
What did people here think of the scene with her giving the cup of wine to Jacob? It annoyed me because it seemed like they were making this woman imitate words and actions of a priest.
I think it was purposely echoing the Catholic mass. Lost’s writers frequently invoke Catholic imagery in the show.
 
What did people here think of the scene with her giving the cup of wine to Jacob? It annoyed me because it seemed like they were making this woman imitate words and actions of a priest.
It was very Garden of Gethsemane/Last Supper-esque. I wonder what it is that she was saying.
 
But who enforces the rule of the candidates, etc. etc?
VC
I’d like to know this as well. The rules must have some legislator and enforcer. Widmore and Ben also talk about the “rules”. The rules must be tied to the origin of the Island and its need for protection. I’d like to see this question answered before the show ends.
 
I think it was purposely echoing the Catholic mass. Lost’s writers frequently invoke Catholic imagery in the show.
Right, that is why it bothered me that she is a woman. Also, I felt like it was cheapening the Eucharist by likening it to a fairy tale. Other Catholic imagery in LOST is related to someone’s actual faith, not to an artificial Catholic-like mythology that has nothing to do with the actual God.
 
Right, that is why it bothered me that she is a woman. Also, I felt like it was cheapening the Eucharist by likening it to a fairy tale. Other Catholic imagery in LOST is related to someone’s actual faith, not to an artificial Catholic-like mythology that has nothing to do with the actual God.
I guess I interpreted it more as an allusion to Gethsemane (“Let this cup pass, but not my will but yours be done”) and Jacob’s acceptance of a role that would entail sacrifice for the betterment of humanity. I didn’t really see it as a parallel to the Eucharist.
 
But before she gave him the wine, she invoked a blessing over the wine in a foreign tongue (it sounded like Latin) while breathing on it. It looked amazingly like the consecration of the Eucharistic wine.
 
Jacob’s acceptance of a role that would entail sacrifice for the betterment of humanity.
:eek:

You mean acceptance of a role that would entail sacrificing others for the betterment of humanity, right?

😉

VC
 
Well Jacob did allow himself to be killed to protect the life force in the island. Possibly, he is also trying to break the need for a chain of Island protectors by proving that people can be good at heart and resist the temptation of seizing the life force of the Island. Maybe the final candidate will choose to sink the Island and forgo its powers thereby redeeming humanity and eliminating the threat of MIB and the misuse of the Island’s powers.

If so, I think VC owes Jacob an apology. 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top