May Catholics Endorse Universalism?

• Thread starter Thread starter avemariagratiaplena
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus calls us to be perfect, as God is perfect. Since Jesus calls us to forgive anyone we hold something against, without condition, then perfection is in the form of unconditional forgiveness.
That’s not what He taught.

'If someone sins against you, rebuke him and if he repents, forgive him."

The executioners still had to repent.
We all have to repent. Forgiveness is a free gift, but reception is in the form of accepting the gift and wanting to be with God. You see? Again, the conditions are on our side, not God’s side.
'If someone sins against you, rebuke him and if he repents, forgive him. "
Okay, so you have picked up on the other version. Mark 11:25 does not have the condition.

Think of it this way. If the person you hold something against never repents, are you to hold a grudge your entire life, take it to your grave? I think you can see that this contradicts many other verses in the Gospels. Holding a grudge is not holiness, it is carrying a burden, not an easy yoke! Would you think of holding a grudge as Perfection?

Last edited:
New International Version
And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." Mark 11:25
Again, this has to do with our experience of forgiveness. God always forgives us, but if we do not forgive others, we cannot experience His forgiveness in a real way. To the degree I do not forgive, to that degree I will perceive that God does not forgive me. It is a natural consequence.
Commending a person to God isn’t holding a grudge.
Correct. Is that part of the verse you cited?

Last edited:
God doesn’t always forgive us. He forgives us WHEN WE ASK.
The crowd who hung Jesus did not ask for forgiveness. We will not experience His forgiveness in a real way unless we repent, which includes being sorrowful and asking for forgiveness. This is what acceptance of the gift looks like.

Think of it this way: God knows all your sins before you even commit them, before you are born. Does he refrain from forgiving until you ask?

The crowd who hung Jesus did not ask for forgiveness.
It was the soldiers who Jesus prayed for. And even then, Jesus didn’t absolve Dismas’.partner who reviled Him. The priests and Pharisees there weren’t in that category.
Think of it this way: God knows all your sins before you even commit them, before you are born. Does he refrain from forgiving until you ask?
“Repent therefore, so your sins may be washed away.”

Last edited:
If God will forgive my sins regardless of my disposition or action, then I might as well commit all the sins I want, and there is no point in going to Confession because my sins are forgiven regardless.

I addressed this earlier. Since Jesus is part of the trinity, the petition is granted in its asking. The trinity wills to forgive.
What became of the petition of Mt 26:39? Was it granted in its asking?

Continuing the discussion from May Catholics Endorse Universalism?:
40.png
Julius_Caesar:
God’s forgiveness is dependent on the sinners repentance.
That would limit God’s mercy. Think of it this way: God knows our choices before He even creates us, but He lovingly creates us anyway. Does God choose to create a person he plans to never forgive because the person will never repent? Does God hold eternal grudges, yet asks people to forgive everyone?

It leads to an image of a “sinister” God, as described by Cardinal Ratzinger (Pope Benedict)
Do you understand now @Montrose?

Do you understand now @Montrose?
Not really unless it means One Sheep believes in Universalism.

I agree with your comment that forgiveness requires repentance. That’s why we go to Confession. If we don’t repent of our mortal sins there is no forgiveness or absolution for us.

Universalism means everyone, including Satan and the other fallen angels will ultimately be saved.
That is a heresy condemned by the Church. I don’t know if One Sheep believes this or not but as a general comment any Catholic who believes that puts themselves in a state of mortal sin.

He should talk to his priest then. It is a heresy so I don’t understand how a Catholic could believe that.
Does he deny the Church condemned this belief as a heresy?

Last edited:
This is for One Sheep.

Can you please clarify if this is what you believe:
  1. Everyone, including Satan and the other fallen angels will ultimately be saved.
  2. The Church has not condemned Universalism as a heresy.
  3. You do not have to repent of mortal sins to be forgiven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back