Men please answer honestly

  • Thread starter Thread starter cmscms
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
*Personally, I don’t see the connection between breast feeding, and the topic of the thread, which deals more with immoral and immodest behavior of women, and men enticing that behavior. Breastfeeding, and women dressing like they are out for sex…are two totally different animals…not sure why breastfeeding is lumped in with immodest behavior. Guess I’m confused. *
 
I totally sympathize with how hard it can be to keep a baby on schedule but I also think there are certain options. Is it not possible to put some breast milk in a bottle and bring the bottle with you in case of emergencies?

Also, I understand that mom’s need to go out like in your example they want to go to church and they do have errands to run. But on the other hand, isn’t part of being a mom having to have to make sacrifices and there are some places if you can’t afford a sitter you just should not go? I went to watch a male friend play baseball. It was a man’s league. One guy’s wife was there breastfeeding. Is it really necessary to bring babies to those places? Do men not have the right to their once a week sports activity without being made uncomfortable? Ok, I know I just invited a lot of insults.

CM
Do you find it objectionable for a woman to drape a blanke over herself while breastfeeding?
 
I beg your pardon? Breasts are not for sexual intercourse, like genitalia. They are built-in bottles. What is wrong with a woman using her God-given natural bottles in public?

Personally, I feel objectified when a man implies that there is something wrong with me feeding my baby in public. I don’t like having my nursing breasts - one of my most feminine and wholesome, family-oriented body parts - reduced to sex objects that ought to be hidden when they are being used as God intended them to be.

Your attitudes towards breastfeeding are not old-fashioned, either, but really relatively modern. I was raised by my grandmother who had children before such attitudes were the norm (she’s turning 89 this year), and she definitely indoctrinated me with her old-fashioned view that breasts were simply functional - and NOT sexual - when used properly (and by this she meant, when they were used to feed a baby). Covering up was not the norm in the early 1900’s in the US (and has never been the norm in some places) - there are lots of great historical pictures of mothers nursing, and they usually have the whole thing pulled out over the top of their shirt (I would agree, however, that this is no longer appropriate in the highly disordered sexual climate of the modern day). For even more old-fashioned examples, look at all the places where Mother Mary is depicted nursing the infant Christ . Do you really think people were frequently painting Christ’s mother doing an action that is not appropriate in public? Nursing Madonna pictures are a classic!

My apologies for derailing this thread, but I find this reasoning very offensive, largely because I do see such a strong correlation between men being offended by nursing (to clarify, I don’t mean just being a little uncomfortable), and men having disordered attitudes towards women. Breastfeeding apparently reminds men with a tendancy to objectify women that female bodies are geared towards children - and such men generally prefer to forget that sex is intended to have children as its consequence. Such men can view a woman in a bikini showing everything but the nipple, and think it’s great - but if she should show a mere inch of skin, with the baby over the nipple and most of the aereola, they will react with disgust. 🤷
Thank you, LongingForLight. This needed to be said. I don’t understand cmscms’s reasoning at all. Nursing Madonna pictures are beautiful and so are ordinary women who breastfeed. What could be more beautiful and natural than a woman feeding her own child in the way God intended?
 
I totally sympathize with how hard it can be to keep a baby on schedule but I also think there are certain options. Is it not possible to put some breast milk in a bottle and bring the bottle with you in case of emergencies?

Also, I understand that mom’s need to go out like in your example they want to go to church and they do have errands to run. But on the other hand, isn’t part of being a mom having to have to make sacrifices and there are some places if you can’t afford a sitter you just should not go? I went to watch a male friend play baseball. It was a man’s league. One guy’s wife was there breastfeeding. Is it really necessary to bring babies to those places? Do men not have the right to their once a week sports activity without being made uncomfortable? Ok, I know I just invited a lot of insults.

CM
I guess I don’t see anything wrong with a wife going out to see her husband play ball and spending that time as a family rather than in two different lives, if she has to feed the baby than fine, she probably isn’t even showing any skin (and I bet she didn’t have to feed the baby the whole game). 🤷
Originally Posted by whatevergirl
Personally, I don’t see the connection between breast feeding, and the topic of the thread, which deals more with immoral and immodest behavior of women, and men enticing that behavior. Breastfeeding, and women dressing like they are out for sex…are two totally different animals…not sure why breastfeeding is lumped in with immodest behavior. Guess I’m confused.
You and me both whatevergirl 😛
 
I totally sympathize with how hard it can be to keep a baby on schedule but I also think there are certain options. Is it not possible to put some breast milk in a bottle and bring the bottle with you in case of emergencies?
No, it is really not that simple.

Pumps cost money, first of all, that many women prefer not to spend when their own “bottles” are free. Some women don’t respond to pumps. Some babies (like my own) refuse artificial nipples and no matter how hard you try, won’t take a bottle. When out and offering breastmilk in a bottle, there’s still breastmilk in the breast that needs to come out, and the breast reacts by becoming engorged - sometimes very painfully so, which can lead to medical issues (illness) or leaking. Nothing like leaking all over when you’re engorged! :o That’ll certainly draw some attention!
But on the other hand, isn’t part of being a mom having to have to make sacrifices and there are some places if you can’t afford a sitter you just should not go?
And part of being a Christian is making sacrifices for mothers and their children, too.
I went to watch a male friend play baseball. It was a man’s league. One guy’s wife was there breastfeeding. Is it really necessary to bring babies to those places? Do men not have the right to their once a week sports activity without being made uncomfortable? Ok, I know I just invited a lot of insults.
Why is baseball a male activity? Why can’t mothers watch and enjoy a game too?
 
I beg your pardon? Breasts are not for sexual intercourse, like genitalia. They are built-in bottles. What is wrong with a woman using her God-given natural bottles in public? :
There is nothing wrong with ANY body function that God gave us. He gave me the ability to vomit when I am sick to get rid of the bad stuff in my stomach. Yet I don’t expect that I can do it publicly and people should have to put up with it. And if breast have absolutely nothing to do with sex, can you please explain why girls don’t develop them until puberty?
IPersonally, I feel objectified when a man implies that there is something wrong with me feeding my baby in public. I don’t like having my nursing breasts - one of my most feminine and wholesome, family-oriented body parts - reduced to sex objects that ought to be hidden when they are being used as God intended them to be.

:
I agree it is one of a woman’s most feminine and wholesome and family oriented parts. That is what makes it so beautiful and why respect should be given to the process. I personally think it takes away from the intimacy of a couple with a new baby for the mom not to care who she shares it with.

Also, if men really though of nursing breast as sex-objects I don’t think they would be asking for them to be hidden, I think secular men would be saying ‘do it more openly’
 
He gave me the ability to vomit when I am sick to get rid of the bad stuff in my stomach. Yet I don’t expect that I can do it publicly and people should have to put up with it.
Again, it’s about the BABY, not the mother. Babies poop in public, they pee in public, they vomit in public, they fart in public, they leak all sorts of fluids all over the place in public and they eat in public. It’s not a baby’s fault that his mother chooses to feed him with her own God-given milk supply. 🤷 And it’s not the mother’s fault that people are offended when she needs to feed him.
And if breast have absolutely nothing to do with sex, can you please explain why girls don’t develop them until puberty?
So women can FEED the babies their bodies now have the ability to bear.
Also, if men really though of nursing breast as sex-objects I don’t think they would be asking for them to be hidden, I think secular men would be saying ‘do it more openly’
Lots of men usually ***do ***want to see more of them, if we’re talking low-cut tops, bikinis, nudes on TV, etc. They just don’t like seeing them being used in the way they were meant to be used. A woman wearing a low cut top is “hot” but a mother nursing her baby is “disgusting.”
 
And part of being a Christian is making sacrifices for mothers and their children, too.
I can’t tell you how often I have looked after a single mom’s kid so she could go for a walk and have a bit of time for herself. I never complain that my property taxes fund schools that I never had a child attend. My resentment is (as I have tried to explain several times) is why can’t there be compromise. Why is it becoming a mom means no longer having to have to think of others
Why is baseball a male activity? Why can’t mothers watch and enjoy a game too?
It was a male baseball league. If they wanted some family time, why didn’t her husband join a co-ed league or something more family appropriate
 
Is it not possible to put some breast milk in a bottle and bring the bottle with you in case of emergencies?
When I am home with my nursing baby trying to pump for future use while nursing full-time, it mormally takes me 90 minutes across 2 days to collect enough milk for 1 feeding that would take 5 minutes if I just nursed. This is pretty unreasonable, and I even have a tendency toward oversupply and a $300 breast pump! Women with low supply or no pump would often need even longer. On the other hand, some women respond better to pump or hand expression, and would be able to produce the extra milk faster.

I also have a tendency to get mastitis (breast infection) if I don’t nurse or express as much milk as my baby requires. Also, my breasts leak if I don’t nurse, especially when the baby is young, leading to large wet spots on the front of my shirt.

Worst of all, a woman’s breasts will then make less milk the next day after giving a bottle, possibly leading to a hungry baby for a couple days after giving the bottle (until the hungry baby’s more-frequent nursing brings her supply back up).

Some babies who have always been nursed will refuse bottles (some won’t), and some young babies will have “nipple confusion” and forget how to nurse (this is a concern until around 3 weeks of age, and even then it can still happen - just less likely).

So the answer is, it’s possible for some women, but not all - and for many women, it is possible but unreasonable, and could even have severe consequences for her health.

Edited to add: BTW, thanks for asking this so honestly and frankly. I think those of us who live in very breastfeeding-friendly places forget that not everyone knows just how much of a sacrifice breastfeeding is for some women. Around here, it’s taken for granted that a nursing mother is making a wonderful sacrifice for her child, and ought to be supported in that by her community.
 
My resentment is (as I have tried to explain several times) is why can’t there be compromise. Why is it becoming a mom means no longer having to have to think of others
I guess I’m lost then. I have no idea what you mean by compromise. What is a mother supposed to compromise? “I as a mother owe society a child-free and breastfeeding free world so I will never take my child with me anywhere and pledge to pump or use formula when I do need to go out.” :confused: I am totally clueless as to what you mean by compromise.

And I’ll also add that becoming a mother often means that a woman is thinking more of others - namely, her children’s needs. I can’t tell you how many times I was completely inconvenienced by having to breastfeed but I did it for my children.
It was a male baseball league. If they wanted some family time, why didn’t her husband join a co-ed league or something more family appropriate
This shouldn’t even be of your concern. Families don’t need to pick their extra-curriculars and activities based on who they may or may not offend if they ever decide to venture out as a family.
 
I originally started this thread because I wanted to hear men’s opinions about changing attitudes and the way women’s behaviour is changed. I NEVER intended for this to get into a debate about breast feeding in public.

I feel I have created a lot of enemies, which I will just have to live with. If other people want to continue this thread feel free. I think it is best I drop out of this

CM
 
*Personally, I don’t see the connection between breast feeding, and the topic of the thread, which deals more with immoral and immodest behavior of women, and men enticing that behavior. Breastfeeding, and women dressing like they are out for sex…are two totally different animals…not sure why breastfeeding is lumped in with immodest behavior. Guess I’m confused. *
Normally I would agree in everything you’ve stated. But we live in a world gorged on sexual appetites of the flesh in every imaginable description.

Quite frankly; there are a lot of sick human puppies out there caught in such vile lusts.
 
I feel I have created a lot of enemies, which I will just have to live with. If other people want to continue this thread feel free. I think it is best I drop out of this
Sorry :o I thought you wanted to discuss the breastfeeding point because you were continuing the discussion on that point. I’ll stop, since it apparently isn’t actually of interest to you. My guess is others made the same assumption - that since you hadn’t asked us to stop discussing it and get back to the original intent and were responding on that tangent, that derailing things for a bit was OK with you.

Apparently, I was wrong. My sincere apologies. You shouldn’t have to drop out of your own thread.
 
I originally started this thread because I wanted to hear men’s opinions about changing attitudes and the way women’s behaviour is changed. I NEVER intended for this to get into a debate about breast feeding in public.

I feel I have created a lot of enemies, which I will just have to live with. If other people want to continue this thread feel free. I think it is best I drop out of this

CM
Well, you haven’t made an enemy with me. I admit I am frustrated because you aren’t answering the questions I ask…I’ll try again, although it seems you may not check back to answer:
Do you have the same objections to women breastfeeding in public who cover with a blanket?
 
Deep down, regardless of what society says, do men not want wifes, mothers and sisters that are respectable? Also, please list behaviours that feminist think woman should do but deep down men think are wrong.

Yes we want wives. I absolutely love my conservative wife. Not all women dress in ways not respectful to the body.
 
The beginning of your post was right-on in that a woman should observe some sort of discretion when breastfeeding by not just “whipping it all out” for all to see. However, this last part is way off.
It isn’t and I’ll show you how (apart from the fact I warned the example was flawed). 🙂

You’re apparently presuming two things:
  1. it’s always and only about the child
  2. the child can’t wait a dozen seconds or so
…But it makes no difference from the child’s point of view if his mother is somehow removed from public sight, barring the time it takes and that time is several seconds to find a discreet location where one is, so it doesn’t matter either.
If breastfeeding remains an issue about babies and a baby’s “right to eat”, then time and place shouldn’t matter anymore than the time and place matter when feeding a baby with a bottle.
That doesn’t follow. What follows is that the child’s “right to eat” will be more important than social concepts of propriety, but it doesn’t follow that “propriety” won’t matter at all.

People often make the mistake of thinking that if they have a right, it doesn’t matter how they go about it. This is not true. If one has a right to do something, it means one has a right to do it in such a way as to accomplish the goal effectively. However, one still has to obey the laws and observe the rights of others.

For example, we have the right to vote but this doesn’t mean we can go straight to the box–we have to register (because our country has to make sure everyone votes once), we have to observe speed limits while getting to the voting place (because traffic safety is still important), we have to wait in a queue sometimes (because others have the right to vote too), we can’t yell at people to make way for us when we are coming down running in the last minute the voting place is open (we still have to take time to circle them around politely). This basically shows that having a certain right doesn’t come with “nothing else matters”.

Again, I’m not grossed out or bothered myself and I’m worried by a puritanical attitude that has a problem with mothers at all breast-feeding in public (“oh no, skin!”), but some of the arguments for public breast-feeding don’t hold water (or rather don’t hold as much water as they are supposed to).
 
Lots of men usually ***do ***want to see more of them, if we’re talking low-cut tops, bikinis, nudes on TV, etc. They just don’t like seeing them being used in the way they were meant to be used. A woman wearing a low cut top is “hot” but a mother nursing her baby is “disgusting.”
Not the Catholic men who expressed their opinions in this thread, let alone the women who agreed with them. Everybody except maybe a single poster had a problem with the negative examples you give. It may be true about secular men, but then, what can we say about secular women?

Oh, and once again, a woman wearing a low cut top is not attractive. Sometimes I wish cops were able to send the most extreme cases home to change, just like schools still do sometimes. Personally, I wish cleavage would disappear from fashion and any hint of sex drive would disappear from advertising. And no, I don’t run away from Greek art, nor am I fan of burkhas. I actually like it when clothes nicely and tastefully bring out the features of a woman, I just dislike the meat market we see all around. And I don’t like it when sexuality gets too social. It offends my sense of monogamy and it looks like TMI to me.
 
Well, you haven’t made an enemy with me. I admit I am frustrated because you aren’t answering the questions I ask…I’ll try again, although it seems you may not check back to answer:
Do you have the same objections to women breastfeeding in public who cover with a blanket?
Since I want to be considerate of your feelings, I will answer your question. I do not have objections with women who cover themselves when they are caught in a situation where they have to feed their baby in public. For example, a woman might have a doctor’s appointment at 10. She tries to feed her baby at 9 before going to the doctor’s but something happens and she can’t feed her baby. She still needs to go to the appointment so she brings a blanket so that she can feed her baby modestly. Society needs to understand these things happen.

When I have a problem with it is when a bunch of men create a baseball league because they want some guy time. (Which is totally acceptable). A woman shows up with her baby because she has the attitude ‘Now that I am a mom, I am not the one to be inconvenienced, society will have to cater to me’ and she makes a lot of men uncomfortable.

Respect is a 2 way street. Society respects that there are times when a woman will have to feed her baby. They walk by without starting. Mom’s respect that there are times there baby is NOT cute to others and they don’t bring their baby.

To Sanctareparata,

do you now see what I mean by compromise? To be honest, I am scared you will attack me again
 
Sooooo glad and happy we were asked to “please answer honestly”.

[and then:]

WHAM!!!
 
Sooooo glad and happy we were asked to “please answer honestly”.

[and then:]

WHAM!!!
It’s standard operating procedure on the “Non-Catholic Boards”. A catholic will ask a question about a protestant dogma/religion/doctrine, then those protestants/non-christians that do answer will get ganged up on and beaten down.

Welcome to CAF.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top