[cont. from last post]
Fourth:
The church has given us several official chant books such as the Graduale Romanum/Simplex. Should we not use them? Why should the church publish them if they weren’t supposed to be used. Minor point, but it means something.
Fifth:
In a spirit of continuity, should we not at least try to use them in some way? For many many years before the reforms the propers were sung for Mass. Why stop now? Would you rather sing the words of God, which he has picked just for this occasion (though his church), or pick a hymn (which may or may not be theologically sound) which everyone knows, and sounds nice. It seems to be an easy choice.
Sixth:
The GIRM never says (that I’ve found) “The song at the beginning” or “the music sung during the offertory”. In multiple places, it makes reference to “the chants at the entrance, at the offertory, and at Communion”, which just happen to be the three major propers. (See GIRM #s 37,43,47,50,74,86,121,124,139,142,159).
There is numerous references to “The entrance chant” or “the communion chant”, or “the offertory chant”. Check out some of the GIRM references above.
This seems to imply (to me, at least) that my theory in #3 above is correct, because it doesn’t imply that the chant is one of the songs that may be sung at the following times, but that
it is the normal thing to be sung, and any other song (especially a non-chant) is a substitution for the proper chant. This also to give a priority to the propers, and chant in general.
Conclusion:
I’m not proposing that we sing them in their fullness in every parish right away. Just that we start using them in some way.
**If someone wants a crash course in reading gregorian chant notation, I can do it via PM, provided you already know how to read regular music. Really. I’m pretty sure I can. PM me to start! It’s not hard. **
It can be as simple as getting the text and singing it to psalm tones. Any choir should be able to learn an english text sung to a psalm tone in less than 5 minutes. If you want to do this, but don’t know how or don’t know where to start,
it’s not hard. PM me, and I can help you. I’ll find everything you need.
Maybe after that, you could start using them using simple but slightly harder melodies from the
simple propers project (believe it or not, they really aren’t paying me for every mention of them. I really just think it is that good.

)
After a while, they could try singing some from the graduale simplex.
Maybe if they get good, they could start singing some things from the Graduale Romanum or Gregorian Missal.
I know this is not as clear cut as I’d like, but this was convincing to me when I was on the fence, and I hope some of you understand where I’m coming from, even if you don’t agree.