Mortal Sin - Sin One Time to Condemnation?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cling2Cross
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cling2Cross

I have seen many of the Catholic Faith purport that you can sin one time and go to hell. That there are mortal sins…I am not sure what all of them are but, when discussing this, I see that lists - such as the one in 1 Corinthians 6/Galtians 5 are presented as evidence for mortal sin as described above. What I do not understand is that these people do not see that these “mortal sins” are actually lifestyles and not one-time events…let’s look at these passages…

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10 NAS95)

These are names for people who “practice” these things…not do them one time. Continuing…

Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5:19-21 NAS95)

So…doing one of these things one time and we go to hell…unless, confession is made to the priest?

I would like to present another issue that really caught
my attention when mulling this over at one point in my life…we have another list in Reveleation…

“But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8 NAS95)

So…if we lie one time…we sin mortally? Is this a mortal sin?

Mortal sin is sinning unto death…a lifestyle. And Christians do not have these lifestyles (although the just man falls seven times but the Lord upholds him with his hands)…

If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this. All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death. We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him. (1 John 5:16-18 NAS95)

Christians will not fall into a lawless lifestyle of sin unto death. And there is not such a thing as sinning one time and being condemned if you have already had the pronouncement of “justified” over you by the merits of Christ…

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, (Romans 5:1 NAS95)

Much more then, **having now been justified **by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. (Romans 5:9 NAS95)

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1 NAS95)

Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies; (Romans 8:33 NAS95)

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life. (John 5:24 NAS95)

No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (1 John 3:6-9 NAS95)

The born-again are secure in Christ…and, generally speaking, keep short accounts with the Lord - their Father.

Fundamentally, a mortal sin results in a fall from grace and the serious danger of eternal damnation if one remains and dies in that state. That genuine Christians can fall from grace and thus be in danger of experiencing the second death is demonstrated by Scripture. Please read the following verses prayerfully and carefully:

Galatians 5:2-4 (Compare with Galatians 1:6)

2Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you.
3And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law.
4You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Romans 11:20-22

**20Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith Do not be conceited, but fear;
21for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either.
22Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. **

1 Corinthians 8:9-13

9But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
10For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

James 5:19-20

19My brethren,if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back,
20let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Hebrews 4:11

**11Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience. **

Revelation 22:19

**19and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book. **

If you aren’t born of God, you can never have a part in the tree of life and the holy city. If you have a share in this eternal inheritance, then you are born of God. You cannot have a share taken away unless you had a share to begin with. Therefore, this verse exclusively applies to those born of God. By one act - taking away the words from this book - they can lose their inheritance.

To be continued…

God Bless,
Michael

I have seen many of the Catholic Faith purport that you can sin one time and go to hell. That there are mortal sins…I am not sure what all of them are but, when discussing this, I see that lists - such as the one in 1 Corinthians 6/Galtians 5 are presented as evidence for mortal sin as described above. What I do not understand is that these people do not see that these “mortal sins” are actually lifestyles and not one-time events…let’s look at these passages…
You can think about these things and do not commit any sins. It is when you act or “practice” the thing that it becomes sinful. Yes, one unrepented mortal sin can send a person to eternal damnation.

All you’ve done is moved the goal line. You haven’t actually changed the situation at all. At what point (which sin) does sinful behavior become a “lifestyle”? Is 99 acts of adultery just sinful behavior, but 100 becomes a lifestyle? Then that 100th time is the one-time sin to condemnation.

First off just so you know what the Church says is a mortal sin.
#1 it has to be something serious
#2 you have to be aware that it is sinful
#3 you have to give free consent

second point ,the Church does not say a particular person is going to hell, thats up to GOD.

We dont even know for sure if Judas or Hitler for that matter are in hell.:signofcross:

What I do not understand is that these people do not see that these “mortal sins” are actually lifestyles and not one-time events…let’s look at these passages…

So…doing one of these things one time and we go to hell…unless, confession is made to the priest?
Well, how many times would one have to commit a deadly sin before one is culpable?

Calvinists argue that not only can a one-time sin cost you your salvation, but that genuine Christians can never fall into a sinful “lifestyle” that will result in spiritual death. The Bible says otherwise:

Ezekiel 18:24

24But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Now the first objection some might raise is that this is Old Testament. However, was the way of becoming righteous before God different in the Old Covenant. Was man, prior to the New Covenant, not justified by the grace of God? It is clear from Hebrews 11 that God’s grace was at work in both the Old and New Covenants to make man righteous. The means of salvation were the same, though *explicit * knowledge of Jesus did not exist prior to His incarnation.

The other objection is that the “righteous” involved are not really righteous before God. They are merely righteous before men or “legally” righteous. However, it is God who identifies the person as righteous in this passage. Moreover, there is another passage in Ezekiel that completely contradicts this interpretation:

Ezekiel 33:13

**13When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it. **

The key phrase “he shall surely live.” God only says that in Ezekiel exclusively when:
  1. He justifies/ forgives the repentant sinner:
Ezekiel 33:14-16 (Ezekiel 18:21)

14Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;
15If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.
16None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.

1. When he confirms that a person is righteous in His sight:
Ezekiel 18:5-9

5But if a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right,
6And hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, neither hath defiled his neighbour’s wife, neither hath come near to a menstruous woman,
7And hath not oppressed any, but hath restored to the debtor his pledge, hath spoiled none by violence, hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment;
8He that hath not given forth upon usury, neither hath taken any increase, that hath withdrawn his hand from iniquity, hath executed true judgment between man and man,
9Hath walked in my statutes, and hath kept my judgments, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord GOD.

Therefore, in Ezekiel 33:13 must be righteous in God’s sight because the verse clearly states that at one point God said to that person “he shall surely live”, which is only used in the above two circumstances. God would never say that if that person were not righteous in His sight.

To be continued…

God Bless,
Michael

Well it seems if its mortal and unrepentant then I think you have a big problem.

I dont think a person can live a sinful lifestill and be repentant.
but then its never too late until you die! :signofcross:

One time sin???
Oh come on! Nobody just accidentally falls into mortal sin.

James 1:14 says that each of us are "tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and sin, when it is accomplished, it brings forth death. Do not be deceived."

Don’t pretend to be so innocent. We know full well when we are getting into mortal sin. That’s why we pray that we “avoid the near occasion of sin.” Don’t forget, ***“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it? …The Lord searches the heart, and tests the mind, even to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings.” ***Jeremiah 17:9-10

Be careful, some of your theology is about 100 years old at best. Keep asking questions, but be open to the possibility that the answers just might surprise you. 👍

40.png
Cling2Cross:
The born-again are secure in Christ…and, generally speaking, keep short accounts with the Lord – their Father.
[SIGN]AMEN!![/SIGN]

Loss of justification/salvation, by the poor performance of the Catholic, ie., “commission of mortal sin,” underscores a system of salvation by works. 🙂

Br. Rich SFO said:
You can think about these things and do not commit any sins. It is when you act or “practice” the thing that it becomes sinful. Yes, one unrepented mortal sin can send a person to eternal damnation.

That’s not what Jesus says:**Matthew 5:27-28

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.**

Fundamentally, a mortal sin results in a fall from grace and the serious danger of eternal damnation if one remains and dies in that state. That genuine Christians can fall from grace and thus be in danger of experiencing the second death is demonstrated by Scripture. Please read the following verses prayerfully and carefully:

Galatians 5:2-4 (Compare with Galatians 1:6)

2Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you.
3And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law.
4You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Romans 11:20-22

20Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith Do not be conceited, but fear;
21for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either.
22Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

1 Corinthians 8:9-13

9But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
10For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

James 5:19-20

19My brethren,if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back,
20let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Hebrews 4:11

11Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.

Revelation 22:19

19and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

If you aren’t born of God, you can never have a part in the tree of life and the holy city. If you have a share in this eternal inheritance, then you are born of God. You cannot have a share taken away unless you had a share to begin with. Therefore, this verse exclusively applies to those born of God. By one act - taking away the words from this book - they can lose their inheritance.

To be continued…

God Bless,
Michael
🤷 I guess the Bible teaches “a system of salvation by works”.

God bless,
Michael

[SIGN]AMEN!!
[/SIGN]

Loss of justification/salvation, by the poor performance of the Catholic, ie., “commission of mortal sin,” underscores a system of salvation by works. 🙂 Yeah right…No point in adding that to this discussion (especially since it’s off topic anyway). So there is no “sin unto death” as stated in the Word of God? Sorry, I’ll stick with that over your teaching of men. My Reformation Theory.
That’s not what Jesus says:Matthew 5:27-28
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.You are of course dead wrong in your interpretation of this. If a lustful thought comes into my mind and I immediately reject it and (as I always do) turn my heart and thoughts to God, then not only have I not sinned (by entertaining and giving in to that temptation), but I have become that much stronger in response to the grace of God that aided me in that need.

Temptation is not sin (or else Jesus was a sinner just like us!).

Oh and with regard to works… What does the New Testament actually say about temptation? James 4:7 Be subject therefore to God, but resist the devil, and he will fly from you. Resistance is not only not futile, :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: but it is a work that we are told to do!

Loss of justification/salvation, by the poor performance of the Catholic, ie., “commission of mortal sin,” underscores a system of salvation by works. 🙂
More evidence that “salvation by works” actually has no meaning other than “what you Catholics teach that I don’t agree with”.

More evidence that “salvation by works” actually has no meaning other than “what you Catholics teach that I don’t agree with”.
👍 This means that all those faith alone Protestant Churches that do not believe in OSAS (i.e. Lutherans, Methodists, Pentecostals, etc.) also teach a “system of works salvation.” Moreover, Martin Luther himself did not believe in OSAS - he taught that salvation could be lost through unbelief - so the founding father of the Protestant movement must have also taught a “system of salvation by works.”

God Bless,
Michael

You are of course dead wrong in your interpretation of this. If a lustful thought comes into my mind and I immediately reject it and (as I always do) turn my heart and thoughts to God, then not only have I not sinned (by entertaining and giving in to that temptation), but I have become that much stronger in response to the grace of God that aided me in that need.

Temptation is not sin (or else Jesus was a sinner just like us!).
Thank you, Michael, for once again displaying your lack of scriptural understanding.**Matthew 5:27-28

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.**Jesus is not talking about a ”Temptation,” in that passage, Michael, in fact, temptation is not even mentioned; instead, Jesus is speaking of the commission of an act of sin, that being the act of lusting for a woman.

The guilt is, as Jesus puts it, ”hādā emoichusen,” or, ”already committed” by you; it is in the indicative mood—the state of being.

Furthermore, the difference between your temptations, and the temptations of Jesus, is that He remained, as the writer of Hebrews puts it, ”without sin,” the clear inference being that with respect to your temptations, you have not.
Church Militant:
Oh and with regard to works… What does the New Testament actually say about temptation? James 4:7 Be subject therefore to God, but resist the devil, and he will fly from you. Resistance is not only not futile, :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: but it is a work that we are told to do!
Thanks for the candid admission that yours is a system of works salvation. 🙂

Message to Catholics and Protestants

**If you can’t engage in a discussion without insulting or questioning a person’s intelligence or attacking a person’s character, then you should not participate in this discussion. It is not becoming for anyone who claims to be Christian to engage in that kind of behavior. Insults contradicts love and the humble attitude we are supposed to have as Christians.

God bless,
Michael**

We then see passages such as…

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. (1 John 2:3 KJV)

For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. (1 John 5:4 KJV)

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. (1 John 5:18 KJV)

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (1 John 3:9 KJV)

We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. (1 John 3:14 KJV)

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (John 5:24 KJV)

If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him. (1 John 2:29 KJV)

Does it not seem to be outlining what a born-again believer does?

C2C

What do you make of each of these passages…?

[Thank you, Michael, for once again displaying your lack of scriptural understanding, stemming from your poor reading ability, and poor reading comprehension.
Congratulations, that is good enough to get you reported. 🤷
Matthew 5:27-28
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.Jesus is not talking about a ”Temptation,” in that passage, Michael, in fact, temptation is not even mentioned; instead, Jesus is speaking of the commission of an act of sin, that being the act of lusting for a woman.

The guilt is, as Jesus puts it, ”hādā emoichusen,” or, ”already committed” by you; it is in the indicative mood—the state of being.Whatever you say… but the fact is that Our Lord is saying IF you do that then you have committed a mortal sin.
Furthermore, the difference between your temptations, and the temptations of Jesus, is that He remained, as the writer of Hebrews puts it, ”without sin,”
the clear inference being that with respect to your temptations, you have not.Duh…
Thanks for the candid admission that yours is a system of works salvation.
According to your personal misinterpretation of men. Let me know when you abandon the errant doctrine of Sola Scriptura and reject that cascade of further errors that descends from it.
[/QUOTE]

I have seen many of the Catholic Faith purport that you can sin one time and go to hell.
You missed a very important point. It is unrepented sin that separates us from God. If we go around without repenting of our sins, we bring condemnation on ourselves, which is plain throughout the Bible. If we repent, God is merciful and sure to forgive us.

Also, from the way you write, I can tell that you are unaware of a couple of things. According to a recent poll, over half of the folks you are talking to here are former evangelical, nondenominational and other Protestants before discovering the Truth of the Catholic Church. A number of them were even Pastors. So they are fully aware of Protestant theology.

May the Lord watch over you and be gracious to you.

Your servant in Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back