MOVIE: Prince Caspian

  • Thread starter Thread starter child_of_God85
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re welcome! 🙂 You have not caused me any distress.

We all need to decide as parents what is appropriate for our children. If you believe that the Narnia stories are harmful, of course you have an obligation to keep them away from your son, and warn others as you have here.

To be honest, yours was the first criticism I have seen of the Narnia stories that in my opinion was worth considering. I will be more careful now than I otherwise would have been to guard my children against confusion. I can see how perhaps some children who were taught nothing but Narnia as theology may be confused, but I would argue that in that case, Narnia is better than nothing as a start to Christian faith.

My son is only 7 years old and is a voracious reader. Without guidance he would be reading Captain Underpants, Star Wars stories, and comic books. I would much rather see him reading Narnia! In fact, I have some trouble keeping him satisfied with the volume of books he would like to read. There is so much out there that is really bad, like “The Golden Compass” that it is hard to keep up.

I won’t ask you your opinion of Harry Potter.🙂 I haven’t let him read or see that (yet).
Has he read The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings? Although the latter might be a bit beyond him at age 7. If he’s seen the movie trilogy it might not be–only you would know that. 🙂
40.png
LRThunder:
The BBC also produced television movie versions of the Chronicles of Narnia. They’ve only made LWW, Prince Caspian, the Voyage of the Dawn Treader and the Silver Chair, I think.
I second that recommendation. My dh bought them for me last Christmas. They are great!
 
My son has read *The Hobbit *and enjoyed it. He is still too young for The Lord of the Rings and waayyy too young to see the movies.

He has read all of the Narnia stories, and we are all excited about the Prince Caspian movie coming out in a few months.
 
My son is only 7 years old and is a voracious reader. Without guidance he would be reading … Star Wars stories.
Just curious- I don’t want to start another debate!- are you opposed to the Star Wars story? Why? I’m just wondering…

OtherEric- so is it the literary metaphor you have a problem with? Doesn’t Lord of the Rings use the same types of metaphor (especially in the Silmarillion, when talking about the creation of Middle-Earth, etc.)?
 
I always understood Narnia to be an allegory and the characters to be taken as metaphorical representations of ourselves and Christ.

I think that a properly instructed child would read the Narnia series and see it as supporting everything they have learned rather than nullifying or confusing it.
 
Just curious- I don’t want to start another debate!- are you opposed to the Star Wars story? Why? I’m just wondering…
No, I don’t object to Star Wars. In fact we have allowed him and his 5yo brother to watch episodes 4, 5, and 6 (the original ones). I think the other episodes are too violent for him now. They are very much into playing Star Wars and have light sabers, lots of Star Wars Legos, etc.

I just don’t think the Stars Wars books are very good literature and I would rather he read something more worthwhile. I also would like him to think about something other than Star Wars once in awhile!

My DH and I and our sons are all very much looking forward to seeing Prince Caspian when it comes out.
 
No, I don’t object to Star Wars. In fact we have allowed him and his 5yo brother to watch episodes 4, 5, and 6 (the original ones). I think the other episodes are too violent for him now. They are very much into playing Star Wars and have light sabers, lots of Star Wars Legos, etc.

I just don’t think the Stars Wars books are very good literature and I would rather he read something more worthwhile. I also would like him to think about something other than Star Wars once in awhile!

My DH and I and our sons are all very much looking forward to seeing Prince Caspian when it comes out.
Okay, thanks for clarifying! I totally agree- the newer movies just get more and more violent. But episodes 4, 5, and 6 are classics! 😃
 
OtherEric- so is it the literary metaphor you have a problem with? Doesn’t Lord of the Rings use the same types of metaphor (especially in the Silmarillion, when talking about the creation of Middle-Earth, etc.)?
To discuss my position on the Lord of the Rings or other Tolkien works in depth would veer this thread off of its original subject. I therefore hope to sate your curiosity by answering simply that I find those books extremely problematic as well.
 
Movie opens in two days! I finished the book on Sunday or Monday so I am all ready for the movie. Just need to find a way to get to the movie on Friday.
 
I absolutely HATE going to movies on opening weekend, but I may brave it for this one. 😃
 
grandkids refuse to wait for me, they are going this weekend with their school. oh well, maybe I will have a movie date for the first time in a year–last movie DH and I saw together was LWW, come to think of it.
 
My fiancee and I are going to see it this evening! It’s gotten good reviews from what he’s read. Can’t wait to see it!
 
I’ve read a couple of reviews. Be prepared for a lot of battles scenes. What I’m dying to see is Reepacheep. I read he practically steals the show. We’ve going this Sunday afternoon. Can’t wait! 😃
 
I’ve read a couple of reviews. Be prepared for a lot of battles scenes. What I’m dying to see is Reepacheep. I read he practically steals the show. We’ve going this Sunday afternoon. Can’t wait! 😃
I suspected Reepicheep might steal the show, as he does the same in the book. 🙂 My parish rented out the theater tomorrow morning. Can’t wait!
 
Funnily enough, I don’t remember whether I read the books as a kid or not But the first movie was so good that it got me hooked! The name Reepicheep sounds familiar, though, from comments on the movie’s IMDB message board or something…
 
I suspected Reepicheep might steal the show, as he does the same in the book. 🙂 My parish rented out the theater tomorrow morning. Can’t wait!
Yes, he is one of Lewis’ best characters, along with Puddleglum. Reep has a rather small part in PC the book. But from what I’ve seen of the trailers and reviews his part has been inflated, which I am not going to complain about. I’m eagerly awaiting Dawn Treader just for the joy of seeing him developed into the truly spiritual character he is. And, I do hope they make the Silver Chair in large part to bring our beloved Puddleglum to the screen. I feel just like a little kid thinking about all the stories on film–I hope they can make them all, don’t you?
40.png
Hope070408:
Funnily enough, I don’t remember whether I read the books as a kid or not But the first movie was so good that it got me hooked! The name Reepicheep sounds familiar, though, from comments on the movie’s IMDB message board or something…
I remember a teacher reading part of Dawn Treader to us when I was in grade school. It was the part about Eustace and the dragon (I won’t say more–it might spoil it for those who have never read the books). But, I didn’t read the stories until I was in college. Reep caught my fancy right away. You’ll love him, I guarantee it.
 
Being a somewhat methodical child (I started reading the Narnia books at 7 or 8) I was annoyed to find, when I got to The Magician’s Nephew that it should (in my 8-yr old opinion) have been before The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

So, when I had finished reading the whole series, I promptly went back and read them in the “right” order. (I remember having trouble trying to figure out where The Horse and His Boy fit chronologically…)
I used to put it in chronological order with MN first, LWW second, and HAHB third with PC fourth. (Now my set is in published order LWW, PC, etc. etc.)

But if you really want to get fancy: In the book The Silver Chair (SC) they retell the story of HAHB around a campfire. So maybe you could split the SC book in half and stick the story of HAHB right at the point when they retell the story around the campfire…just for dramatic effect of course…you’d feel like you were right there around the campfire listening to the story first-hand. 😃
 
Saw it yesterday afternoon. Great visual affects and I just loved Reepicheep. I wish there was a plush of him available!

And for those who have seen this and Shrek 2, I think you’ll agree that Reep reminds you of Puss in Boots. 😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top