MSNBC Opus Dei

  • Thread starter Thread starter TPJCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aquinas,

I agree and think about football players who often workout so hard that they vomit. Or women who undergoe surgeries just so that their bodies conform more to their liking, with all the pain and expense that goes with it. Or the swimmers who swim everyday in order to have a shot at the olympics. Or ballet dancers who dance with broken ankles and toes…knowing it may cause them years of pain.

All of those above are done for self-glorifying reasons, yet people of faith are rididculed for engaging in personal mortification (such as fasting) for the sake of drawing closer to the cross and Christ.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
It takes years to become a member of Opus Dei, it takes but one second to walk away. That is hardly the definition of a cult. In fact, most cults are the opposite, they are easy to enter and hard to leave. No-one is stopped from leaving.
Amen to that one. I’m only a Cooperator my best friend is a Supernumerary and has been for 20 years. I didn’t get involved till about 4 years ago when I chose to deepen my spiritual life and felt called to OD.
 
Annunciata,

I am also a Cooperator, though I have not really felt a call to become a member–yet.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Annunciata,

I am also a Cooperator, though I have not really felt a call to become a member–yet.
Neither have I…It definitely is a “Vocation” so not all are called…

I’ve never seen any of the things that some have said against OD…only positive and I’m not one to bury my head in the sand either. I think people tend to suspect something that appears to be secretive… we just don’t go around wearing it on our sleeves…we are ordinary people living an ordinary life sanctifying ourselves in our daily work and spreading the universal call to holiness.
 
Annunciata,

Yes, I agree. I think many people need to bash any effort to seek personal holiness.
 
From Merriam Webster:
1 : the subjection and denial of bodily passions and appetites by abstinence or self-inflicted pain or discomfort
2 : NECROSIS, GANGRENE
3 a : a sense of humiliation and shame caused by something that wounds one’s pride or self-respect b : the cause of such humiliation or shame

If any of these are your definition of mortification, you at best deeply misguided or at worst sadistic. There is nothing in the New Testament that indicates self infliction of pain for spiritual growth. So how did this get started? Well, my opinion is that the original message of Christ became mutated over time by the Catholics. “We need to suffer like Jesus did”. I don’t know about you but life inherently gives us enough suffering that we can offer up to God for spiritual purposes. But to wear hairshirt-like jagged bracelettes, sleeping on the floor, etc. is wrong. One is actually aiding Satan’s mission by doing this.

Opus Dei is a scary bunch. Their view of morality and salvation is convoluted. They are dedicated to the past. That is, pre-Vatican II. I went to Catholic grade school just prior to Vatican II. My memories of those years are not pleasant. Therefore, I believe at best case Opus Dei is suspect. Cults prey upon people that have low self esteem and / lack of direction. In other words, they are lemmings. But now with the Da Vinci Code book and forthcoming movie, Opus Dei is now or shortly will be on most people’s radar. They will be rightfully securitized. And if, there are members that are performing painful self mortification, they will be in trouble. I know Opus Dei has a lock on the Vatican. John Paul II, who was “in bed” with Opus Dei, lived long enough to appoint most of the voting eligible cardinals. Therefore, electing Ratzinger was a “stacked deck” deal. He is not my Pope. He is a neo-nazi with really nothing new to say. More commitment to the past.

The decline of Catholicism in America has been dramatic over the past forty years. Do you really think Ratzinger and Opus Dei are going to turn that around? In my opinion, the answer is an emphatic no. Perhaps this group is willing to accept fewer but more zealot members. But doesn’t Catholic mean universal???
 
40.png
blenni:
From Merriam Webster:
1 : the subjection and denial of bodily passions and appetites by abstinence or self-inflicted pain or discomfort
2 : NECROSIS, GANGRENE
3 a : a sense of humiliation and shame caused by something that wounds one’s pride or self-respect b : the cause of such humiliation or shame

If any of these are your definition of mortification, you at best deeply misguided or at worst sadistic. There is nothing in the New Testament that indicates self infliction of pain for spiritual growth. So how did this get started? Well, my opinion is that the original message of Christ became mutated over time by the Catholics. “We need to suffer like Jesus did”. I don’t know about you but life inherently gives us enough suffering that we can offer up to God for spiritual purposes. But to wear hairshirt-like jagged bracelettes, sleeping on the floor, etc. is wrong. One is actually aiding Satan’s mission by doing this.

Opus Dei is a scary bunch. Their view of morality and salvation is convoluted. They are dedicated to the past. That is, pre-Vatican II. I went to Catholic grade school just prior to Vatican II. My memories of those years are not pleasant. Therefore, I believe at best case Opus Dei is suspect. Cults prey upon people that have low self esteem and / lack of direction. In other words, they are lemmings. But now with the Da Vinci Code book and forthcoming movie, Opus Dei is now or shortly will be on most people’s radar. They will be rightfully securitized. And if, there are members that are performing painful self mortification, they will be in trouble. I know Opus Dei has a lock on the Vatican. John Paul II, who was “in bed” with Opus Dei, lived long enough to appoint most of the voting eligible cardinals. Therefore, electing Ratzinger was a “stacked deck” deal. He is not my Pope. He is a neo-nazi with really nothing new to say. More commitment to the past.

The decline of Catholicism in America has been dramatic over the past forty years. Do you really think Ratzinger and Opus Dei are going to turn that around? In my opinion, the answer is an emphatic no. Perhaps this group is willing to accept fewer but more zealot members. But doesn’t Catholic mean universal???
Where did you copy and paste this from? I see from your profile you are not catholic… how do you know about Opus Dei…I mean are you reading from some kind of DaVinci Code book…you know thats a fabrication right?
 
I know the Da Vinci code is fiction. My point was that with its sales ,Opus Dei will become better known. It is true that I am not a practicing Catholic. I have 16 years of Catholic education including 4 years at John Carroll Universiry with a minor in philosophy / theology. Opus Dei needs to be stepped on like the insects that they are. They have hijacked the church. Don’t you care???
40.png
aimee:
Where did you copy and paste this from? I see from your profile you are not catholic… how do you know about Opus Dei…I mean are you reading from some kind of DaVinci Code book…you know thats a fabrication right?
 
blenni,

If you are going to thoughtlessly blast an entire group of people, then you need to give specifics with proof and sources to back-up what you say. How exactly has Opus Dei done any harm to the Church?
 
Notice:

This thread is now closed. Thanks to all who participated in the discussion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top