My mom made me vote for Biden on my absentee ballot. What do I do?

• Thread starter Thread starter LiveSkype
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I filled out the circle for Biden, which unfortunately made me feel guilty because I knew that voting for a candidate who supports abortion is a grave sin, even though my mom fails to see this.
This simply IS NOT TRUE.

It is sinful to Vote for a candidate because they supper abortion.

I also plan on going to Confession to deal with this.
There is no reason to go to confession.
Fortunately, the town clerk lives next door to me, so I might ask her to privately get another absentee ballot and shred the one I filled out.
You will have to check on the law as far as that goes.

Last edited:
Heard that. Great points, fist bump.

For the OP, the truth will set you free.

You have every right to vote your conscience without coercion. You could also remind your mother that it’s probably against federal law to coerce someone to vote for someone on their ballot. And that as Catholics we are required to obey all just laws.

Last edited:
I did not say that. It is legal for anyone over 18 to vote and people are free to exercise that privilege.

I’m pretty sure it’s against the law for one adult to force another adult to vote a certain way.

Very bad stuff. Nobody gets to tell you who to vote for. Nobody. Alert the proper authorities immediately and get your ballot destroyed.

I know, right? I wish she would recognize that I have different opinions and that she would agree to disagree on these sorts of things.

Wow, I’m very puzzled by you and another poster who state that at age 24 you must obey your parents in everything, even if it violates your conscience. This is downright scary to me. Again, are you stating that if your parents tell you to commit a sin, or do something that is deeply offensive to your conscience, you would unhesitatingly do it at age 24? We are NOT talking about a child here! Please explain.

Only problem is that my mom is always complaining that I always have to prove her wrong on everything, and that I wish that she would let some things drop.

You know, she may never do so. That’s her own blindness. It may not be worth arguing anymore, at a certain point. But none of this prevents you from insisting on your rights, especially to your constitutional rights and your right to freedom of religion/conscience.
It sounds like you need to live with her. So set boundaries. Tell her, definitely, that you will no longer discuss certain things with her because you need to exercise your right to your freedom in those matters.

Last edited:
That’s why I’m going to check with her, as my name is on the outside of the outer envelope. I will have to explain to her that I was coerced by my mom to vote for a candidate that I didn’t want to vote for. I’m sure she’ll understand.

Yes but honor doesn’t always mean obey, especially in these types of contexts… that’s why it’s important to understand the church’s POV on this, there are limits on things.

Look, I totally understand that, and I feel that if I were to bring this up in Confession, the priest would probably say that I didn’t commit any sort of sin, justifying the whole “honor thy mother and father” thing.

Look, I totally understand that, and I feel that if I were to bring this up in Confession, the priest would probably say that I didn’t commit any sort of sin, justifying the whole “honor thy mother and father” thing.
Stick with that then. Tell Father, and let him handle the rest.

Very misguided in this context, as others have pointed out. “Honoring” your parents does not mean slavishly obeying them in essential matters of conscience or duty before God. Not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back