My mom made me vote for Biden on my absentee ballot. What do I do?

• Thread starter Thread starter LiveSkype
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don’t know what her disability is. But it doesn’t matter, and clearly I am not alone here. I repeat: at 24, she should NOT be swayed by her mom in voting. Are you saying she should? Then explain why.

For example, one argument against letting women vote was that a married woman would just vote for whoever her husband told her to vote for
In France, it was that a woman would just vote for whoever her priest told her to vote for 😅

@LiveSkype, I’m sorry for what happened, but I’m not entirely sure your retrieving your ballot would be legal. Next time, try to fill it alone and avoid unwelcome interference. I agree with the previous posters who said that now would probably be a good time to seek help in setting healthy boundaries with your mother.

You should of stood up for yourself, it was your vote, not hers. Next time expalin to her that she must stay within her own boundaries on certain things.

Last edited:
Your mother didn’t make you vote for Biden. This is dishonest and telling this to other people in real life would be a kind of slander.
This is not fair. The OP is giving us her description of what happened. Unless any of us were there or know the overall dynamics of the relationship between them, we have no reason to doubt what she is saying.

40.png
TK421:
Your mother didn’t make you vote for Biden. This is dishonest and telling this to other people in real life would be a kind of slander.
This is not fair. The OP is giving us her description of what happened. Unless any of us were there or know the overall dynamics of the relationship between them, we have no reason to doubt what she is saying.
So how are we suppose to have a conversation about anything? She says such in the original post.
I couldn’t take arguing with her anymore, so I filled out the circle for Biden
But the OP said that her mom made her vote for Biden. This is not true. This isn’t honest. This is exactly what happens with siblings or with children in school, but it also sometimes happens with adults. A child does something mean to another child, so the child tells an adult, except they doctor up the story to make the offense appear much worse than what it was. This happens in all sorts of instances, in schools, in stores, in courts of law, etc. People distort the truth to make a person more guilty than what they are for one’s own advantage, and that is - at minimum - venially sinful. And yes, it’s slanderous. The mom might not have been acting charitably but saying that she forced her daughter to vote for somebody else is an entirely different level and makes the mother seem monstrous. It’s also an escape to avoid healthily handling problems because it wrongly transfers all the blame to the parent.

Last edited:
If she’s living with her parents I’d argue they do have a say, even though I vehemently disagree with who they chose.
:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: Absolutely not! Any American citizen old enough to vote is entitled to vote according to his or her conscience! Your vote is as sacred to citizenship and the course of our country as Confession is to Holy Communion and Heaven!

Live by the Spirit
Obey God’s commandments.

Honor your parents.
No words of God say less than 18 or 70 yo.

According to Peter, you must to do the Lord’s will to be able to enter His house later on.

If your mom says “Biden” or “Trump”, then as good Catholics please do so especially both of them are not demons, and skip the rest. Secondly, trespassing the Lord’s commandments is sin.

Why? ask the Lord. He is the Creator and smarter than all.
This is neither American law, nor Catholic teaching.

If you parents told you to go steal a drink from the shops, would you do it? By your reasoning, you would be breaking a commandment by not listening to them. Honoring your parents doesn’t mean you have to do everything they say. You can honor, love and respect your parents and still vote for your preference. There are plenty of saints who went against their parents wishes and chose paths that displeased them. They didn’t “dishonor” them or go against the commandments. In fact they chose God!

My thoughts exactly. I love my mom, but not enough to turn her in to the resident state trooper over this.

We have no idea what kind of disability the OP has (whether it is a physical issue, a mental health issue or an intellectual disability) and what role that may have played in the behavior of the mother.
ICYWW, I am autistic, and I tried the whole “independent living” thing before. It was a DISASTER.

Biden has declared his ownership of the Democrat platform which declares that abortion, taxation and forced toleration are most important. What is greater evil than condoning and supporting the killing of innocents? I cannot support those who would kill for monetary gain and do not understand the journey taken by those who do not admonish such wrong.

I was going to ask someone at Town Hall to do it for me, as the ballot is in their possession.

A lot of people who do very important jobs would be disenfranchised: nurses, paramedics, junior doctors, other ranks and junior officers in the armed forces, postal workers, many people working in industry, agriculture, and retail, etc.
Talk about states with very high barriers to property owning due to sky high costs of living. You’d be disenfranchising a majority of people there.

Young people will also be disenfranchised since they aren’t likely to be property owners.

Talk about states with very high barriers to property owning due to sky high costs of living. You’d be disenfranchising a majority of people there.

Young people will also be disenfranchised since they aren’t likely to be property owners.
Yes, if something like this were to be introduced in the UK, it would disenfranchise a majority of the population of London, which is an extraordinary figure if you consider that about 14% of people in the UK live in London. Those who do own property in London are overwhelmingly older people who bought property when it was cheap. My daughter and her husband are both doctors and were unable to buy a property in London until they were in their late 30s. The idea that a doctor would be barred from voting because they work in the nation’s capital city where property is expensive is ridiculous and quite offensive.

Cambridge, where I live, would also be heavily impacted, as would “the other place”, Oxford: both cities have very expensive property but a lot of people earning low wages working in academia and related fields. The two university cities regularly top polls of the least affordable cities in the UK.

In the UK, a property qualification would massively increase the vote share of regions of the country where property is relatively cheap. Thus, you would find that in London, Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton, and Bristol, even the most highly educated people in professional jobs would not be able to vote at all or at least until they were in their 30s or even 40s, whereas in other parts of the country, people earning the minimum wage could be buying properties in their early 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back