No Chicago Olympics!

  • Thread starter Thread starter dixieagle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first heard about Obama making the address, my first thought was ‘why??’
We have too much going on already. We have an economy that is a train wreck that has not stopped yet, we have a health care bill causing civil unrest throughout, we have several terrorist supporting countries rattling their sabers, we have a president that continues to apologize for the country…

Yet the president has found time to go off and campaign for something that is completely unnecessary, and will cost us all money.

It seems fitting that someone has finally turned to Obama and very publicly said NO.
Very true. Unfortunately, it was the IOC and not the Congress of the US. I’d sleep a lot easier if our representatives would follow its example.
 
Number 1 no president should be stumping for the Olympics period especially in hard times. I would criticize a Rep. president as much as I did Obama and been just as glad we didn’t get it. Don’t you realize how broke we are and how close to economic collapse we are. If Israel attacks Iran we will have a major depression in my opinion.
We’ll have a major war on our hands.
 
7 sorrows there are indeed good and bad things about Chicago, the city, as all cities I’m sure. Politically I can’t and wouldn’t stand up for Chicago, ever. I love the city, the people, the culture, the vibe, but not the politicians. But I grew up there! so I have to defend it :went to college there, had children there, worked there…it’s a great community, really it is. I hope it stays that way. I know the people of Chicago would have been great and gracious hosts, had the Olympics been there.

stjude I agree it’s better the money not get spent at all, in the US right now. We don’t have the money. I hadn’t heard about the NEA thing? Wow, I’ll have to look that one up. I’m so news weary after this election, I just don’t bother much anymore.
Good things about Chicago:
  1. Shrine to St. Therese de Lisieux ( in Darien il (ok close to Chicago)).
  2. Fr. Rober Barron
  3. The Food! 😉
– Cadian :knight1:
 
To be fair to Obama, the idea of Chicago bidding was decided upon years ago, it’s not like he got into office and then said ‘yep, let’s put Chicago up for nomination’.

Secondly - of course, Chicago being nominated, he wanted the bid to succeed. So he campaigned. It would be far more odd if he didn’t feel strongly about the biggest sporting event in the world coming to his home town.

As a Sydneysider, I knew the Olympics would probably cost us (and it has), didn’t stop me being proud as punch that we had the whole world see our beautiful city, in the flesh or on TV, for those weeks. And I certainly would’ve campaigned had I had the chance (and been famous enough to actually make a difference in the voting)

Could Obama have done more productive things with his time? Probably.

Have previous Presidents probably done the same when American cities have been up for nomination in the past? Almost certainly.
 
Have previous Presidents probably done the same when American cities have been up for nomination in the past? Almost certainly.
According to Fox News, he is the first.

foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/28/obama-appeal-denmark-chicago-olympics/?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g12:r2:c0.434842:b28066966:z0
Obama would be the first U.S. president to take on such a direct role in lobbying for an Olympics event. Chicago faces tough competition from Rio de Janeiro, Madrid and Tokyo.
 
To be fair to Obama, the idea of Chicago bidding was decided upon years ago, it’s not like he got into office and then said ‘yep, let’s put Chicago up for nomination’.
.
Actually Chicago wasn’t willing to put the money up to be considered. Mayor Daley and friends were willing to put up 500 million while the Olympic committee said they needed closer to 4.5 billion to be considered - even the free spending liberals in Chicago balked at that. Then the Stimulus/Porkulus bill passed and Daley took a trip to Europe and signed up Chicago for consideration agreeing to the much higher amount. I guess he figured what was a few billion among friends as long as the US taxpayer would eventually foot the bill.
 
Yet the president has found time to go off and campaign for something that is completely unnecessary, and will cost us all money.
True indeed, can’t disagree with that.
 
Actually Chicago wasn’t willing to put the money up to be considered. Mayor Daley and friends were willing to put up 500 million while the Olympic committee said they needed closer to 4.5 billion to be considered - even the free spending liberals in Chicago balked at that. Then the Stimulus/Porkulus bill passed and Daley took a trip to Europe and signed up Chicago for consideration agreeing to the much higher amount. I guess he figured what was a few billion among friends as long as the US taxpayer would eventually foot the bill.
C’mon. Oprah was a backer of the bid, no? She could almost fund the whole darn thing herself and not rely on public money for it. Or at least raise enough from her rich buddies to do so. I don’t think public funding had as much of an impact as you think.
 
May I ask a dumb question…why is this a good thing? In your opinions? I guess I don’t get it:confused: I mean if you’re an Illinois taxpayer (which I used to be) I can see the objection but, if you’re not I don’t quite understand why would this have been a bad thing:shrug:
From the point of view of everyone not in Chicago, an Olympic in that city would have blocked in other US city for a while. Now, Houston and others who lost in earlier rounds have another chance. It is with good reason that the president normally stays out of these matters so as not to play favorites.
 
Actually Chicago wasn’t willing to put the money up to be considered. Mayor Daley and friends were willing to put up 500 million while the Olympic committee said they needed closer to 4.5 billion to be considered - even the free spending liberals in Chicago balked at that. Then the Stimulus/Porkulus bill passed and Daley took a trip to Europe and signed up Chicago for consideration agreeing to the much higher amount. I guess he figured what was a few billion among friends as long as the US taxpayer would eventually foot the bill.
hmmmmm, interesting. no wonder they were so quick to pass the stimulus bill! :eek:
i guess that is what you call “the windy city state of mind”.
 
President Obama has already given Brazil $1 billion (or some similar huge amount) to pay for their offshore oil drilling. [But not for OUR offshore oil drilling]

What if President Obama gives Brazil the $5 billion or so THEY will need for the Olympics.

mmmm mmmmm mmm
 
C’mon. Oprah was a backer of the bid, no? She could almost fund the whole darn thing herself and not rely on public money for it. Or at least raise enough from her rich buddies to do so. I don’t think public funding had as much of an impact as you think.
uh… why put up your own money when the crooks can get it from the American people.

Oprah wouldnt have put up a dime.

It definately would have cost us all. Chicago is corrupt.
 
Don’t you realize how broke we are and how close to economic collapse we are. If Israel attacks Iran we will have a major depression in my opinion.
Absolutly right! Last thing we need is for people to have jobs and money coming in right now!
 
Absolutly right! Last thing we need is for people to have jobs and money coming in right now!
Where do you think that money would come from? Most would come from the government. The government, local, state or federal, doesn’t make money. They take it from citizens in the form of taxes. So yes, people in Chicago would have jobs and money coming in right now and they would get that money from other people. Sounds like a little redistribution of wealth. 🤷
 
Me, too! Anytime Obama loses in anything, it’s a good day!
Let me get this straight. Any Obama failure is a good thing?

What if, let us say, his administration is trying to negotiate a peace, to prevent a war? He fails, and 50 million people die. This is a good thing?

I’m sorry, but this is foolishness. Somebody - or frankly, a lot of somebodies, based on this thread, and this forum generally - is blinded by hatred.

This is supposed to be a Catholic forum. A Christian forum. But a distressing amount of what I read here - an enormous amount of what I read here - is the work of the devil.

You people should be ashamed. Your behavior is scandalous. The fact that Catholic Answers not only tolerates this behavior, but tends to weed differing views - views that object to the hateful behavior that has become the norm here - is also scandalous.

I understand the donations are declining, the begging for money isn’t going well. Perhaps this is in part due to your departure from Christian morals in this sewer of a forum.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top