"No where did Christ say one must agree with every dogma

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shaolen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree fervently with the dogma concerning birth control.
Why? The Church teaches that ABC interferes with the natural order of human sexuality. Surely you cannot disagree with that??? (especially because that’s its stated purpose)

It’s an inconvenient truth, but nobody can reasonably argue with it.
I disagree with the CCC that gay individuals are intrinsically disordered.
That’s not a teaching of the Church (though it is an opinion shared by many Catholics). The Church teaches that gay marriage is intrinsically disordered. Marriage is a Sacrament. Nobody can redefine a Sacrament.
I certainly do not believe that if you don’t fully believe in every single solitary social dogma that you are going to hell in a handbasket.
That’s not a teaching of the Church, either. You don’t have to believe ANY social dogmas (or theological dogmas). As I pointed out in post #11, you can disbelieve even in the existence of God and remain a faithful Catholic in good standing. You can disbelieve every single dogma of the Church and still go to heaven.
 
You know, the more I think about his assertion, the less I think it’s true – in fact, I think Jesus is explicitly saying exactly the opposite, in direct speech, as found in the Bible!

Look at Matthew 16:19. Speaking solely to Peter, Jesus says, “I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

In the first sentence, Jesus is giving Peter authority; in the context of the adminstration of His Church, Jesus grants leadership to Peter. In the second sentence, Jesus explains what that effect that authority has: what the Church binds in its declarations on earth, Jesus will hold bound from heaven; what she looses, Jesus will hold loosed.

The practical upshot of this is that the Church – led by Peter – will administer Jesus’ Church. In the context of that administration, she will naturally provide interpretations of what Jesus meant and what the content of the Church’s faith will be. Jesus promises that He will adopt these interpretations – no ifs, ands, or buts.

Now, I ask you: if Jesus says “I hold you to X, Y, and Z, and I loose you from A, B, and C,” aren’t we – as Christians – obliged to listen to Him? Aren’t we called to follow what He says to follow and reject what He says to reject? So then, if the Church’s declarations have Jesus’ thumbs-up, aren’t we obliged to follow them?

I would say that Jesus’ proxy in Mt 16:19 is precisely what your brother is rejecting – and that’s surprising, since we’re not talking apostolic teaching here, but the red-letter words of Jesus Himself in Scripture! I think I might point your brother to that verse in Scripture and ask him what this verse could possibly mean, other than that the Church has Jesus’ authority here on earth with respect to declaration of doctrine and administration…?
:clapping:
 
Baptists are generally distrustful of anything they see as man-made doctrines, or lies made up by the Catholic church.

Your friend’s question is really just one of many things they see as man-made, made up doctrines. They are truly afraid that Catholics are following a wrong, made-up set of rules.

I just say this so that you have some sensitivity to their situation when you show him the scriptural basis for the authority of the church. And also, some sensitivity to the fact that he has learned ‘what Catholic believe’ incorrectly.

When in possession of truth, it is best not to hit people over the ahead with it. Lead them on a path to it and let them discover it themselves.
 
I certainly do not believe that if you don’t fully believe in every single solitary social dogma that you are going to hell in a handbasket. I find it so fascinating that all of our threads generally concern social dogma and not theological dogma. :rolleyes:
When discussing what obliges us as Catholics, it’s really, really important to be precise in the way we talk about things; otherwise, we start making claims that don’t match what the Church teaches.

There are social teachings of the Church; there is no social dogma of the Church. We are obliged, as Catholics, to believe and hold fast to the dogmas of the Church. A dogma is a teaching that has been divinely revealed by God: for example, God is Trinitarian in nature; Jesus is the second person of God, and was Incarnate and died and was raised.

Can a person have a lack of faith in a dogma of the Church and yet attain to heaven? Yes. Can a Catholic actively disbelieve in a dogma of the Church and yet attain to heaven? No. (Note, though, this statement implies obstinate refusal to believe: if a person is having problems with a dogma, but is open to the Church’s teaching and is working toward belief, that’s a different scenario. 😉 )
 
A person who is having a crisis of faith does not sin, remains in a state of Grace, and remains a Catholic in good standing, provided s/he:
  • Realizes that the disbelief is a flaw that needs to be corrected
  • Makes a sincere, diligent, and ongoing effort to correct the disbelief
  • Does not teach (promote to others) any false beliefs

    Obstinate refusal to believe is another thing, but disbelief which is not an act of our will is not sinful (because all sin requires freewill consent) and it won’t get you kicked out of the Church. We don’t excommunicate people who are having a crisis of faith.
So you can be a perfectly good Catholic - in good standing - and go to heaven without believing ANY dogmas.

So many misconceptions about what the Church teaches…
I would guess that almost all those on earth are not “perfectly good Catholics.” We are all sinners in need of forgiveness and growth in grace. It is a sin not to believe in all that the Church infallibly defines as true. The guilt can be mitigated due to circumstances, and so there might be little or no subjective guilt, but it is still an objective sin. The Truth does help us get to heaven.
. As I pointed out in post #11, you can disbelieve even in the existence of God and remain a faithful Catholic in good standing. **You can disbelieve every single dogma of the Church and still go to heaven.
**
A person might go to heaven because of invincible ignorance, but his disbelief in any defined dogma of the Church is an imperfection and therefore such a person needs healing and growth. We cannot measure the subjective guilt of anyone else or even the subjective holiness of ourselves. If a person is plagued with doubt, he might go to heaven, he cannot judge himself as that is God’s job, but his faith does need to grow before passing through the gates of heaven possibly by going through purgatory. A person who disbelieves in not perfectly faithful.
When discussing what obliges us as Catholics, it’s really, really important to be precise in the way we talk about things; otherwise, we start making claims that don’t match what the Church teaches.
And so I reply below.
… Can a Catholic actively disbelieve in a dogma of the Church and yet attain to heaven? No. (Note, though, this statement implies obstinate refusal to believe: if a person is having problems with a dogma, but is open to the Church’s teaching and is working toward belief, that’s a different scenario. file:///C:\Users\John7\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1%between%1\clip_image002.png)
Perhaps your words imply in your own thinking more than what is communicated here.

It needs to be clarified that a person could obstinately disbelieve and yet still have invincible ignorance and still have saving grace where he subsequently is cured of his disbelief in purgatory.

.
 
Rubbish.

John 17:20-23
My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. **May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. **

1 Corinthians 1:10
I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.”
I just realized that if he is a Baptist, I should have used the most popular translations among Baptists.

1 Corinthians 1:10 (NIV)
I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.

1 Corinthians 1:10 (KJV)
10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
 
It needs to be clarified that a person could obstinately disbelieve and yet still have invincible ignorance and still have saving grace
That’s why I distinguished between a ‘person’ in general and a ‘Catholic’ specifically. A catechized Catholic, for all intents and purposes, would have a hard time making the case for “invincible ignorance.” It’s possible… but you’re talking about the exception, rather than the rule. 😉
 
I would guess that almost all those on earth are not “perfectly good Catholics.” We are all sinners in need of forgiveness and growth in grace.
By “good” I mean “faithful.” A faithful Catholic is someone who adheres to the five precepts of the Church. We can do that while yet being sinners.
It is a sin not to believe in all that the Church infallibly defines as true.
OK, CITE IT. Because what you said is absolutely and positively false, and completely unsupported in Catholic Doctrine. There is not one single belief that MUST be believed as a condition of salvation - not ONE. Not Jesus, not Mary, not the Pope, not anything. Not even the existence of God. We are not saved by our beliefs. We are saved by the Grace of Christian Baptism (which is renewed, if necessary, by Sacramental Confession). The idea that we are saved, in any way, by our beliefs is a protestant invention.

I’m not talking about obstinate disbelief (which is sinful). I’m talking about a crisis of faith. Belief is NOT an act of the will. We cannot compel ourselves to believe something. Adhering to the five precepts of the Church is an act of the will. We can choose to do that or not, and our disobedience is sinful. This is why such adherence is the minimum requirement of a “faithful Catholic.” Nothing more can ever be required of us. This includes subscribing to any belief that you would care to name.

Belief is not an act of the will. ALL sin (both mortal and venial) requires freewill consent. If we do not consent to disbelief, IT IS NOT SINFUL. Not even venially.
A person might go to heaven because of invincible ignorance
What I am talking about has NOTHING to do with invincible ignorance. I’m talking about well catechized Catholics (such as Saints and Doctors of the Church who have experienced a crisis of faith).
but his disbelief in any defined dogma of the Church is an imperfection and therefore such a person needs healing and growth.
This is the first accurate thing you have said. Furthermore, the person must recognize and accept that this is an imperfection which needs to be corrected.
A person who disbelieves in not perfectly faithful.
He is if he realizes his disbelief is a flaw that needs to be corrected, and he makes a sincere, diligent, and ongoing effort to correct it.

Did you even read my post #11 before you fired off this pile of doctrinal manure?
 
OK, CITE IT. Because what you said is absolutely and positively false, and completely unsupported in Catholic Doctrine.
“The Church’s Magisterium exercises the authority it holds from Christ to the fullest extent when it defines dogmas, that is, when it proposes, in a form obliging the Christian people to an irrevocable adherence of faith.” (CCC, #88)

A dogma, defined by the magisterium, obliges [Catholic] Christian people to adhere to it irrevocably. It’s kinda difficult to see how you can claim that “there is not one single believe that must be believed… not Jesus, not Mary, not anything.” 🤷
There is not one single belief that MUST be believed as a condition of salvation… We are not saved by our beliefs.
You’ve moved the goalposts, haven’t you? 😉

The assertion was that a Catholic cannot be saved in the absence of belief in the dogmas of the Church; you’ve subtly modified that, in order to create the straw man “we are saved by our beliefs.” These are two distinct claims.
I’m not talking about obstinate disbelief (which is sinful). I’m talking about a crisis of faith.
Fair enough; so, perhaps it’s more fair to say simply (as you did earlier in the thread) that a Catholic who disbelieves risks his eternal soul.

Yet, you’re making a very narrowly-construed assertion and expressing it as if it were a general principle; at best, that’s inaccurate – at worst, misleading. Can “a Catholic who does not believe in even one dogma get into heaven?” Perhaps, but there’s a whole set of conditions that would have to be true in order for that to hold. You start describing them in terms of “crises of faith”, but even that needs to carry with it the implication that, prior to the crisis, the Catholic person did believe in the dogmas with which he subsequently struggles. That means that belief was present, but is temporarily waning. To characterize that entire discussion as “a Catholic can get to heaven even if he doesn’t believe in any Catholic dogma” isn’t even close to being a reasonably complete description of your case. 🤷
Belief is NOT an act of the will.
Fair enough, but this is insufficient to prove your point. After all, belief is an act of the intellect: “In faith, the human intellect and will cooperate with divine grace: ‘Believing is an act of the intellect assenting to the divine truth by command of the will moved by God through grace.’” (CCC, #155) If belief is an act of the intellect, a person can choose to “compel himself” to the process that will lead him to understanding and believing; more to the point, he can certainly compel himself to neglect those actions that lead to (or which sustain) belief.
 
I believe this weekend idea that one need not believe in God can be saved under normal circumstance, to be highly erroneous.

We are saved by our living faith in Christ and his sacrifice for us, by becoming his disciples, and by walking with him.

When I was confirmed I said the following words “I BELIEVE all that the Catholic Church professes and teaches to be revealed by God”.

Obviously belief is important.

Jesus tells us,

John 3:18-19

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.
 
“The Church’s Magisterium exercises the authority it holds from Christ to the fullest extent when it defines dogmas, that is, when it proposes, in a form obliging the Christian people to an irrevocable adherence of faith.” (CCC, #88)
I didn’t say you don’t have to accept doctrine. The first condition is that you realize the Church is right and you are wrong. You accept by “faith” the teaching authority of the Church.
A dogma, defined by the magisterium, obliges [Catholic] Christian people to adhere to it irrevocably. It’s kinda difficult to see how you can claim that "there is not one single believe that must be believed…
I said they had to accept it. I said they did not need to believe it.
You’ve moved the goalposts, haven’t you?
Maybe a little bit. But, if disbelief was a sin, it could remove us from a state of Grace. There is certainly an intrinsic relationship between sin and salvation. But I withdraw my statement that we are not saved by our beliefs (the statement is true, but admittedly overreaching for this discussion).
Yet, you’re making a very narrowly-construed assertion and expressing it as if it were a general principle; at best, that’s inaccurate – at worst, misleading.
I’m working on the assumption that a faithful Catholic (who adheres to the five precepts) and is confronted with disbelief is not willfully refusing to believe. People ask if Catholics are required to believe in, say, Transubstantiation. The answer is no. We must accept that it is true despite our disbelief, but there are some people who can’t get their head around the concept.
Can “a Catholic who does not believe in even one dogma get into heaven?” Perhaps, but there’s a whole set of conditions that would have to be true in order for that to hold.
Yes, three conditions (I listed them). I cited disbelief in God as an example of someone who would (by extension) disbelieve every single doctrine of the Church. I think some Catholics sometimes have problems believing even in God. This struggle is not unfamiliar to me - I have bumped against it more than once.
You start describing them in terms of “crises of faith”, but even that needs to carry with it the implication that, prior to the crisis, the Catholic person did believe in the dogmas with which he subsequently struggles.
Not necessarily. Most Catholics are cradle Catholics, and I think most accept the full teaching of the Church at one point in their lives (when they are too young to be cynical). So I think that pre-existing belief is the rule, not the exception.

But I am no cradle Catholic. On the day I converted to the Faith, I flat-out disbelieved in the Assumption, and I wasn’t comfortable with Immaculate Conception. My Anglican roots had not yet been completely pruned away. I told the priest (a very godly OFM-conv). He asked me why my disbelief bothered me, and I said because I knew I should believe. He told me that was enough.

I was having a crisis of faith from my very first breath as a Catholic. I accepted the idea that I was wrong, and I have since reconciled myself fully with both doctrines.
That means that belief was present, but is temporarily waning.
Belief need not be pre-established; disbelief need not be temporary (although it seems that a person who diligently works on disbelief ought to reconcile himself - if one disbelieves for years, his openness and diligence could be called into question).
To characterize that entire discussion as “a Catholic can get to heaven even if he doesn’t believe in any Catholic dogma” isn’t even close to being a reasonably complete description of your case.
You categorically stated that disbelief of any part of Catholic doctrine is sinful. All sin requires some measure of freewill consent. I think the VAST majority of faithful Catholics who disbelieve any (or all) Catholic doctrine would rather believe, and they do not consent in any way to their disbelief. If they did, why would they go to Mass? Why would they receive Eucharist? These acts are, in themselves, a small expression of faith.

Catholics who are not faithful - well, that’s a different category. If a fallen-away Catholic says he doesn’t believe in Eucharist, I say “no duh.” If he believed, he would be there every Sunday, right? But a Catholic who doesn’t believe, and is STILL there every Sunday trying to believe commits no sin. Among faithful Catholics, I think that sinful disbelief is extremely rare.
…belief is an act of the intellect: “In faith, the human intellect and will cooperate with divine grace: ‘Believing is an act of the intellect assenting to the divine truth by command of the will moved by God through grace.’” (CCC, #155) If belief is an act of the intellect, a person can choose to “compel himself” to the process that will lead him to understanding and believing; more to the point, he can certainly compel himself to neglect those actions that lead to (or which sustain) belief.
Well, I don’t want to argue with the Catechism. I’m not sure it is saying that we can actually compel ourselves to believe that which our intellect finds deficient. No matter how much I want to believe in unicorns, I cannot make myself believe.
 
Actually, the Latin “credere” that we translate as “to believe” is much more like “to trust.”

If you trust that Jesus’ teachings are true because He is God, and that the Church’s teachings are true because they come from Jesus – then, even if you cannot personally understand more than that and are inclined to doubt them - you have sufficient belief to count.
 
Did you even read my post #11 before you fired off this pile of doctrinal manure?
My post #25 above made a select quote from your post #11. Obviously, I had to read it to narrow in on the error to which I wished to respond. Please read my post again. You should be able to recognize your own words from your post #11.
I said they had to accept it. I said they did not need to believe it.

.
You are wrong.
The idea that we are saved, in any way, by our beliefs is a protestant invention.
…
Belief is NOT an act of the will.
To choose to believe is an act of the will. The Protestants were not wrong to promote the need for faith. They were wrong to say faith ALONE.
I cannot make myself believe.
I agree with this in the sense that we cannot have saving faith without the gift of grace. So, we need to seek that gift of grace.

.
 
OK, CITE IT. Because what you said is absolutely and positively false, and completely unsupported in Catholic Doctrine. There is not one single belief that MUST be believed as a condition of salvation - not ONE. Not Jesus, not Mary, not the Pope, not anything. Not even the existence of God.
The Catholic faithful are required to give their assent to the Catholic faith. This basic requirement and teaching of the faith is affirmed and expressed every Sunday.

To choose to believe is an act of the will. At every Sunday Mass all the faithful are required to choose to make an Act of Faith when they profess the Creed. They begin with, “I believe” and end this Act of Faith with the word “Amen.”

We are required to receive Holy Communion at least once a year. Before we are allowed to receive it we are required to acknowledge our belief that this is the Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ by affirming this truth by our “Amen.”

This word Amen comes from the same root as the word “believe.” It expresses faithfulness and a willingness to trust in the trustworthiness of these teachings which have God as their source.
See CCC 1061-1063
usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm?p=20-paragraph21.xhtml%23para1061

598. What is the meaning of the final Amen?

*“At the end of the prayer, you say ‘Amen’ and thus you ratify by this word that means ‘so be it’ all that is contained in this prayer that God has taught us.” *(Saint Cyril of Jerusalem)
vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html#I%20Believe%20in%20the%20Holy%20Spirit

CCC 891
“… When the Church through its supreme Magisterium proposes a doctrine “for belief as being divinely revealed,” and as the teaching of Christ, the definitions “must be adhered to with the obedience of faith.” This infallibility extends as far as the deposit of divine Revelation itself.”
usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm?p=18-paragraph19.xhtml%23para891

CCC 889
“… the People of God, under the guidance of the Church’s living Magisterium, “unfailingly adheres to this faith.”

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm?p=18-paragraph19.xhtml%23para889

CCC 1035 footnote 615 refers to DS 76, From the Creed “Quicumque”

76 …. (42) Haec est fides catholica: quam nisi quisque (quis) fideliter firmiterque crediderit, salvus esse non poterit.
catho.org/9.php?d=bxj#a2c
The above translated into English =
“This is the Catholic faith: unless each one has believed it faithfully and firmly, he will not be saved”

CCC 192 footnote 10 refers to DS 1862-1870 which is
[From the Bull of Pius IV, “Iniunctum nobis,” Nov. 13, 1565]
Listed here under the old # system of #994 -1000
catecheticsonline.com/SourcesofDogma10.php

994
“ I, N., with firm faith believe and profess all and everything which is contained in the creed of faith …”
996
“ … I embrace and accept each and everything that has been defined and declared by the holy Synod of Trent concerning original sin and justification.”

CCC 1008 footnote 569 refers to DS 1511 which quotes Trent, Session v (June 17, 1546) Decree On Original Sin. This is listed under old numbering system # 788

788
“I. If anyone does not confess that … let him be anathema.”
catecheticsonline.com/SourcesofDogma8.php

This is a common format that the Church used to express her infallible decrees of faith.
Notice how it begins and ends, quoted above. If a person is unwilling to positively confess as true the doctrine he is declared “anathema.” Literally, that is, let him go to hell. Therefore, the Church is declaring that any individual unwilling to declare this doctrine he is jeopardizing his faith and choosing the path toward hell (assuming he is fully responsible for his actions and is not invincibly ignorant.)

.
 
Why are Catholics compelled to believe in the dogmas of the Church ?

DS 2778 quotes PIUS IX 1846-1878 [From the Encyclical, “Qui pluribus,” Nov. 9, 1846]
catho.org/9.php?d=byg#c4k

Translated into English means …

DS 2778
“Indeed, human reason, lest it be deceived and err in a matter of so great importance, ought to search diligently for the fact of divine revelation so that it can know with certainty that God has spoken, … For who does not know, or cannot know that all faith is to be given to God who speaks, and that nothing is more suitable to reason itself than to acquiesce and firmly adhere to those truths which it has been established were revealed by God, who can neither deceive nor be deceived?”

DS 3008 Which is a quotation from Vatican I, Session 3, April 24, 1870, Dogmatic Constitution Dei Filius.
catho.org/9.php?d=byi#dd0

Translated into English means …

DS 3008
“Since man is totally dependent upon God … **not because the intrinsic truth of things is recognized by the natural light of reason, but because of the authority of God himself who reveals them, who can neither err nor deceive. **…”

Therefore, we believe because God guides the teachings of the Church and that is more reliable than our own opinions.
… before you fired off this pile of doctrinal manure?
It does not matter to me that you hold my writings of so little value. I don’t value my opinion that much either. However, what I wrote about was basic Catholic teaching. So, you unintentionally called God’s doctrines manure. You might want to rethink that before judgment day.

Kindest regards,

.
 
To choose to believe is an act of the will.
No, it is not. I cannot choose to believe in unicorns. I might WANT to believe in unicorns, but I cannot compel myself to do what I want.
I agree with this in the sense that we cannot have saving faith without the gift of grace.
What the heck is “saving faith?” Is this a Catholic term? I don’t think so.

But faith is NOT the same as belief. I can have faith in the teaching authority of the Church, and accept all that She teaches, while believing none of it.
 
No, it is not. I cannot choose to believe in unicorns. I might WANT to believe in unicorns, but I cannot compel myself to do what I want.

What the heck is “saving faith?” Is this a Catholic term? I don’t think so.

But faith is NOT the same as belief. I can have faith in the teaching authority of the Church, and accept all that She teaches, while believing none of it.
Please tell us what it looks like to accept all teachings while believing none of it.

Sounds like a recipe for “going through the motions” faithless and empty nonsense.

I know of and conceive of no one who would say "I don’t believe in God, the church, the sacraments , any if it…but I will be faithful to this bunch of none sense.

How can you be faithful or accept something you reject? That’s insanity by definition.

You never responded or tried to refute any of the countless sources presented you including what Jesus said about those who don’t believe.
 
At every Sunday Mass all the faithful are required to choose to make an Act of Faith when they profess the Creed. They begin with, “I believe” and end this Act of Faith with the word “Amen.”
Are Catholics required to recite the Creed? Ever? What if I remained silent during the Creed. Would I be a sinner? Would I be excommunicated?

Suppose I had a problem with the idea of, say, the Filioque clause (pretend I am an Orthodox convert with deep Orthodox roots). If I recite the Creed, but remain silent while others say, “and the Son,” am I a sinner? Am I excommunicate?

I know of many Catholics who object to “sexist” language in the Mass, and skip a beat when we say “For us men, and for our salvation.”

BUT I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ANY OF THIS. I’m talking about well-catechized Catholics who faithfully participate in Mass as prescribed by their Bishop, while yet harboring disbelief. They say the Creed. They say Amen. They KNOW (intellect) that it is true, but they cannot yet BELIEVE (heart) that it is true.
We are required to receive Holy Communion at least once a year. Before we are allowed to receive it we are required to acknowledge our belief that this is the Body and Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ by affirming this truth by our “Amen.”
We could acknowledge our assent (which is required) while withholding our belief. Again, you confuse assent with belief.
This word Amen comes from the same root as the word “believe.”
I am no linguist, and I get uncomfortable when someone says that I (or anyone else) binds myself to some linguistic interpretation by saying a common word or phrase whose linguistic origin is likely unknown to me. And even moreso when the ROOT of the word is involved. The English words, “practice” and “malpractice” have the same root, but mean (nearly) opposite things.

According to Wikipedia, “amen” means “So be it; truly.” I have stipulated (in post #11) that we must admit that Catholic doctrine is true, even if we cannot bring ourselves to believe it. So a faithful doubter would have no problem saying “amen.”
It expresses faithfulness and a willingness to trust in the trustworthiness of these teachings which have God as their source.
Hello? Hello? Did you miss the bit where I said we must accept that the Church is right and we are wrong, and that our disbelief is a flaw that must be corrected?
*“At the end of the prayer, you say ‘Amen’ and thus you ratify by this word that means ‘so be it’ all that is contained in this prayer that God has taught us.” *(Saint Cyril of Jerusalem)
Hello? Hello? Did you miss the bit where I said we must accept that the Church is right and we are wrong, and that our disbelief is a flaw that must be corrected?
“… When the Church through its supreme Magisterium proposes a doctrine “for belief as being divinely revealed,” and as the teaching of Christ, the definitions “must be adhered to with the obedience of faith.” This infallibility extends as far as the deposit of divine Revelation itself.”
usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm?p=18-paragraph19.xhtml%23para891
Hello? Hello? Did you miss the bit where I said we must accept that the Church is right and we are wrong, and that our disbelief is a flaw that must be corrected?
“… the People of God, under the guidance of the Church’s living Magisterium, “unfailingly adheres to this faith.”
Hello? Hello? Did you miss the bit where I said we must accept that the Church is right and we are wrong, and that our disbelief is a flaw that must be corrected?
 
Are Catholics required to recite the Creed? Ever? What if I remained silent during the Creed. Would I be a sinner? Would I be excommunicated?

Suppose I had a problem with the idea of, say, the Filioque clause (pretend I am an Orthodox convert with deep Orthodox roots). If I recite the Creed, but remain silent while others say, “and the Son,” am I a sinner? Am I excommunicate?

I know of many Catholics who object to “sexist” language in the Mass, and skip a beat when we say “For us men, and for our salvation.”

BUT I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ANY OF THIS. I’m talking about well-catechized Catholics who faithfully participate in Mass as prescribed by their Bishop, while yet harboring disbelief. They say the Creed. They say Amen. They KNOW (intellect) that it is true, but they cannot yet BELIEVE (heart) that it is true.

We could acknowledge our assent (which is required) while withholding our belief. Again, you confuse assent with belief.

I am no linguist, and I get uncomfortable when someone says that I (or anyone else) binds myself to some linguistic interpretation by saying a common word or phrase whose linguistic origin is likely unknown to me. And even moreso when the ROOT of the word is involved. The English words, “practice” and “malpractice” have the same root, but mean (nearly) opposite things.

According to Wikipedia, “amen” means “So be it; truly.” I have stipulated (in post #11) that we must admit that Catholic doctrine is true, even if we cannot bring ourselves to believe it. So a faithful doubter would have no problem saying “amen.”

Hello? Hello? Did you miss the bit where I said we must accept that the Church is right and we are wrong, and that our disbelief is a flaw that must be corrected?

Hello? Hello? Did you miss the bit where I said we must accept that the Church is right and we are wrong, and that our disbelief is a flaw that must be corrected?

Hello? Hello? Did you miss the bit where I said we must accept that the Church is right and we are wrong, and that our disbelief is a flaw that must be corrected?

Hello? Hello? Did you miss the bit where I said we must accept that the Church is right and we are wrong, and that our disbelief is a flaw that must be corrected?
Your statements are incoherent

Your basically saying people believe but I’m going to call it different.

Or your saying that it’s about the motions not the heart.
 
I didn’t say you don’t have to accept doctrine.
OK… so that’s where you’re hanging your hat? ‘Acceptance’ but not ‘belief’? That’s a rather thin distinction… 🤷
I said they had to accept it. I said they did not need to believe it.
Actually, it seems that this isn’t what you asserted: you claimed both a lack of ‘belief’ and ‘acceptance’:
40.png
DavidFilmer:
No belief is a condition of Catholicism (or salvation). People can (and do) have a crisis of faith, where they may find certain things hard to accept
You categorically stated that disbelief of any part of Catholic doctrine is sinful.
Actually, that wasn’t me. 😉

There’s an interesting distinction to be made here, I think, between the consequences of ‘sin’ and the consequences of a ‘lack of faith’. I’m willing to put this one in the latter category, but not the former.
Well, I don’t want to argue with the Catechism. I’m not sure it is saying that we can actually compel ourselves to believe that which our intellect finds deficient.
Aah… but that’s a different claim… 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top