Non-Catholics -- dealing with heresy

• Thread starter Thread starter Lenten_ashes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have summed it up fairly well.

I have heard Father Mitch refer to us as family who bickers with each other but longs for the day of reunification.

My daughter in law joined us in prayer when we took communion but didn’t take communion.
Yeah, she would need to confess that had she received it. I’ve done it at my Grandparent’s non denom Church just to avoid the awkwardness.

Perhaps someone can clarify, as I admit I am definitely not an expert on this. If you are certain, I will defer to you since I know you are married to a Catholic.

Perhaps the obligation is just for the Catholic spouse to raise the children Catholic, but I think the non-Catholic spouse is supposed to not oppose or stand in the way of the child being baptized and raised as Catholic, if I understand correctly.

My sister never agreed to this arrangement and so she raised their kids Presbyterian, although she told me she has attended Catholic Mass a few times with her husband when he desired to attend Mass and asked her to go with him, which isn’t very often. He’s a nice guy but not very religious.

I suspect it is easier on the mixed marriage for one spouse to not be devout and just allow the devout one to raise the kids in their faith. Otherwise, there could be serious religious disagreements if both are adamant in their faiths, and the children could be confused and conflicted and just avoid religion altogether when they become an adult.

For whatever it’s worth, my interpretation of those Catechism statements is that Protestants are to be considered fellow Christians by Catholics but to a lesser degree than with fellow Catholics or Eastern Orthodox — kind of like a spiritual half-brother instead of a full brother. Forgive me if this is a bad analogy but that is how I understand it.
Hi Tommy i think your understanding is very solid and I would like to add one caveat.

We Catholics should consider Protestants as fellow Christians to a lesser degree (maybe not the best language) and request that they not to receive the Eucharist. This in no way suggests that those Catholics who should not be receiving the Eucharist are in some way a higher degree Christian. Maybe even a lesser-er degree.

Peace!!!

When reading your post, I came to the idea that the CC maybe has not yet realized that Protestants are here to stay. For 400 years, I think the unofficial position on Protestants was “Don’t talk about those heretics, they’ll vanish but the Catholic faith will prevail.” That sentiment still hasn’t gone away. Every now and then you see catholics on this forum saying protestantism will fail any time soon, and that a massive return to catholicism is imminent. Today there are hundreds of millions of people who claim to be Christian, most of who are good, faithful and charitable, and the Catholic Church doesn’t know what to say about them.

I don’t know if it will take another 500 years for the Catholic Church to realize that just ignoring our existence won’t do any good. Maybe our imperfect communion through common baptism can be celebrated, instead of just being silently and coldly confirmed.
Are Protestants “just a little catholic” or “almost completely catholic”?

You raise many interesting and stimulating points. I have ideas about some of what you brought forward but feel I need to think more before I speak.

Underlying all this is the fascinating reality that at the Last Supper when Jesus is driving home the message that he is about to be killed, his most ardent followers are arguing amongst themselves who gets to be the greatest.

Perhaps someone can clarify, as I admit I am definitely not an expert on this. If you are certain, I will defer to you since I know you are married to a Catholic.

Perhaps the obligation is just for the Catholic spouse to raise the children Catholic, but I think the non-Catholic spouse is supposed to not oppose or stand in the way of the child being baptized and raised as Catholic, if I understand correctly.
I don’t remember exactly…it was 16 years ago. I remember signing a paper that I knew of the promises she was making but don’t recall making any promises myself.

I think you completely misinterpreted what I was saying and responded with a ridiculous comment.

I’d take a good Protestant who loves Jesus and practices his faith over a lazy, nominal Catholic any day of the week and twice on Sunday(pun intended) 😉

We Catholics should consider Protestants as fellow Christians to a lesser degree . . .
The Catholic Church recognizes Protestants as ecclesiastical communities (do not have apostolic succession) whereas they recognize the Orthodox as true Churches (apostolic succession and the sacraments).

ZP

40.png
adf417:
We Catholics should consider Protestants as fellow Christians to a lesser degree . . .
The Catholic Church recognizes Protestants as ecclesiastical communities (do not have apostolic succession) whereas they recognize the Orthodox as true Churches (apostolic succession and the sacraments).

ZP
I really wish you hadn’t taken my comment out of context. It gives it a totally different understanding without the the full post and the post to which i was replying.

Peace!!!

Then shouldn’t Mormonism be considered Christianity as well since they claim to believe in Jesus and they also appeared to be Spirit filled as they are truly some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life.
Mormons are NOT Christians. They do NOT believe in the Holy Trinity.
This would have been quite clear and distinct before Vatican II. After Vatican II, the lines of distinction depend on how one interprets the Vatican II Council documents.

How is it so? I thought the we Protestants are in an imperfect union specifically through a trinitarian baptism, which the mormons don’t do.

What is the position of Vatican II then? Could you explain please?

This would have been quite clear and distinct before Vatican II. After Vatican II, the lines of distinction depend on how one interprets the Vatican II Council documents.
After Vatican II, the lines of distinction depend on how one interprets the Vatican II Council documents.
They were not Christians before Vatican II and they are not Christians after Vatican II. Nothing in Vatican II documents says otherwise.
Please explain your comment with specific reference to the Mormons.

How is it so? I thought the we Protestants are in an imperfect union specifically through a trinitarian baptism, which the mormons don’t do.

What is the position of Vatican II then? Could you explain please?
They were not Christians before Vatican II and they are not Christians after Vatican II. Nothing in Vatican II documents says otherwise.
Please explain your comment with specific reference to the Mormons.
Prior to Vatican II, the Church would refrain from calling Protestants Christians.

The potentials for numerous divisions to arise, led the Catholic Church to focus its conversations with Protestants (as a single denomination or as a group), and remind them about the dangers that arise from personal interpretation of Sacred Scripture.

The Catholic Church would emphasize the urgent necessity for Protestants to come back, and become members of the Catholic Church, i.e. the Church established by Christ (Mystical Body of Christ). Like Catholics, Protestants would receive the fullness of faith, and avail that various sacraments instituted by Christ, that help Christians in perfecting ones interior life and remaining the state of sanctifying grace.

Because of the potential for numerous denominations to arise among Protestants, the Church also recognized that sacraments such as Baptism, even though using the same formula, would need to be evaluated. Consider the problem when one denomination of Protestants use the Trinitarian formula, and others use variations like ‘I baptize thee in the name of Jesus’.
40.png
Catholic Baptism vs. Protestant Baptism Apologetics
Hi, Chaz, There are three requirements for receiving the Eucharist (besides being in a state of grace). “Baptism for the forgiveness of sins and new birth” is only one of them, and if she was baptized in a Protestant church, by the proper formula (in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit), then she is validly baptized in our church, too. Another is to live “in keeping with what Christ taught”; well, she may be doing this. The one that probably keeps her from being eli…
If you or a friend are in doubt, ask your Protestant pastor a copy of your Baptismal certificate, and how the ceremony was performed. To remedy deficiencies that arise from a potential invalid Baptism, the Catholic Church performs conditional Baptism, on a case by case basis.
40.png
Conditional Baptism Liturgy and Sacraments
Hello, and I’m glad to be a (new) member of this forum. This is my question: If a Catholic found out that they were baptized by a now-elderly Catholic relative rather than a priest (and that relative now is not completely certain that the baptism was performed correctly), would the need to receive Conditional Baptism invalidate the many confessions made over the years? Many thanks for any help you can give me on this question.
After Vatican II, the Catholic Church took a step back. It diminished stating that the Church of Christ is the Catholic Church, and began to emphasize and speak of the Church in terms of a ‘society’. Protestants, who do not profess the faith in entirety as a Catholic would, were now called Christians.

Distinctions (i.e. Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, etc.) before Vatican II were quite clear. After Vatican II, the distinctions are now dependent on how one interprets the Vatican II council documents.

In the case of Mormons, the current position of the Catholic Church is that the Baptismal formula is invalid because of its form and intention. However, in a state of emergency, a Baptism performed by the Mormon on a person who desire to become Catholic would be considered valid.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...oc_20010605_battesimo_mormoni-ladaria_en.html

I think you completely misinterpreted what I was saying and responded with a ridiculous comment.
I suppose that may be the reality but if I find in that situation I am better off asking the person if the are truly understanding rather than just writing them off as ridiculous.

I think you have been misunderstanding me as well. I actually think it is a trust issue. Earlier this summer I experienced a suspension by getting flagged by someone over something you stated that I took issue with. Recently you have been quick to give a heart to a now suspended poster who twisted completely something I said. I admit, when I saw your suggestion that I should start a new thread listing what I see as idolatry in the CC, I saw it as a trap being set. If that was not any part of your intent or motive then I truly do misunderstand and for that I am sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back