Not By Faith Alone

  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy_Carson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been - saved from the penalty of sin (justification)
Are being - saved from the hold of sin on our lives as we are being purified and purged from dead works (sanctification)Will be saved - which is the case here in Romans 13:11 - as we are rid of this wicked sinful flesh (glorification)…This is a verse looking forward to the coming of Christ whereby we will be glorified.
And yet, the person referred to in Hebrews 10 as BEING SANCTIFIED by the BLOOD OF CHRIST was never really saved to begin with? Very interesting.

You are as convinced of eternal security as the JWs are convinced that Jesus is not God and as the Arminian Protestants are convinced that eternal security is wrong. All of these base their interpretation exclusively on Scripture.

God Bless,
Michael
 
One cannot be saved without God’s love in our heart.

One cannot be saved without loving God.

One cannot be saved without faith.

One cannot be saved without hope.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera…

**Love gives “energeo” to faith.

Love animates faith.**

Love gives life to faith.

Love gives soul to faith.

BOTH ARE NEED TO SAVE!!!

St. Mark 12: 28 One of the scribes, when he came forward and heard them disputing and saw how well he had answered them, asked him, “Which is the first (“protos”: first in a succession of things) of all the commandments?” 29 Jesus replied, “The first is this: ‘Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord alone! 30 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” 32 The scribe said to him, “Well said, teacher. You are right in saying, ‘He is One and there is no other than he.’ 33 And ‘to love him with all your heart, with all your understanding, with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself’ is worth more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.” 34 And when Jesus saw that (he) answered with understanding, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And no one dared to ask him any more questions.

St. Matthew 22: 34 When the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together, 35 and one of them (a scholar of the law) tested him by asking, 36 “Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?” 37 He said to him, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the greatest and the first commandment. 39 The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

I Corinthians 13: 13 So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

I Corinthians 13: 7 It (LOVE) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

I Corinthians 13: 1 If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. 2 And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Ephesians 6: 14 So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate, 15 and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace.

I Thessalonians 5: 8 But since we are of the day, let us be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love and the helmet that is hope for salvation.

Galatians 5: 6 For in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith “energeo” through love.
 
I’ll be away from the Internet for the next couple of days. But I’l be back. All I can say to you, Craig, is that I’ll keep you in my prayers and remind you that if you’re really searching for the truth, you have to be a bit more open-minded. I have heard your arguments before and admit they are good and compelling. I have thought about them. But I also see that they completely contradict the express words of Scripture, expecially John 15 and the passages in Hebrews. No one can be sanctified by the blood of Christ unless they were genuinely saved. No one can partake of the Holy Spirit and be brought to repentance AGAIN (Hebrews 6) if they were not truly repentant and justified in the first place. If justification is a one time event, then why does James 2 talk about Abraham being justified when he offere his son Isaac, which occurs several chapters after Genesis 15. And let me not forget Matthew 19, which clearly talks about the possibility of God withdrawing His mercy.

God Bless and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Michael
 
Before I leave I would like to answer a couple of scriptures that I was given to look at:

Make sure you read this in its context…

1Corinthians 4:3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man’s judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
4 For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

If you are saying that Paul is saying that he is not aware of sin in his life, I have to say that this is not what he is saying in light of the following:.
That’s not exactly what I am saying. Follow me here. Paul specifically stated at THAT MOMENT “My conscience is clear.” Clearly, Paul believes that, at this moment, he does not have any unrepented sin, since his “conscience is clear.” However, the point I was making was not that Paul knew or didn’t know about his sin. But rather, Paul states he will not “judge” himself as innocent. In other words, Paul will not assume he is in a state of grace, and state with absolute assurance, that he is saved. I don’t think that is deniable BASED on the context.
1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

And Romans 7:

Ro 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

So, this is not saying what you are saying.
Actually, the verses you provided here do not contradict what I stated in the slightest. You have incorrectly assumed that I meant Paul is not aware of sin in his life. What I stated, and what the verse actually says, is that Paul is not aware of any unrepented sin in his life. There is a difference.
The other one is Romans 13:11:

Romans 13:11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Trying to indicate that we are not saved yet…scripture speaks of the fact that we have been saved, are being saved and will be saved…

Have been - saved from the penalty of sin (justification)
**Are being **- saved from the hold of sin on our lives as we are being purified and purged from dead works (sanctification)
**Will be **saved - which is the case here in Romans 13:11 - as we are rid of this wicked sinful flesh (glorification)…This is a verse looking forward to the coming of Christ whereby we will be glorified…
Those are nice distinctions you made. And justification, sanctification, and glorification are all realities. However, the Scripture does not make the distinctions you did. You are reading your theology back into the text. Nowhere does the Scripture state it is speaking of glorification anytime it speaks of salvation in the future tense. That is another attempt for you to reconcile the Scripture to your theology rather than vice versa. Sorry, but eisogesis ain’t going to cut it here.
You bring up John 15…fruitless “Chrisitan” (professor)…faith without works is dead…were not born of God…based on the parable of the sower…
And?
Lu 8:15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience…
And?
I have to be honest…this whole circular discussion that is going on reminds me of John Chapter 9…
Unfortunately, the circular argument is on your part, not our’s. You insist that the Scripture teaches “once saved, always saved.” You even throw out a couple of verses that you think support them. When you get a response to those verses and verses that reject “once saved, always saved” you attempt to brush those verses to the side, or completely read your theology into them as you did with Romans. When confronted about inadequate responses, you fall back on your original verses without even acknowledging that they have already been answered. THAT is a circular discussion, and it is completely generated by you.
 
I guess you do not understand - I will say it again…I was spiritually blind and now I see, spiritually deaf but now hear, spiritually lame but now walk, spiritually dead but now alive…Christ healed me when I repented from sin (including the sin of pride - as I was trusting in my OWN GOODNESS for my salvation) and turned to Christ as my Lord and Savior (like the fourth person in the parable of the sower). Maybe you should ask my parents…they’ll tell you…what my life was and what it now is…
Congratulations! I also have had a dramatic conversion experience from Agnostic, to Bible Christian, to Catholic. What’s your point? Christ has transformed my life, and continues to. This paragraph is irrelevant to the thread. Nobody is questioning WHETHER this happens. We are rather stating that this is the process of BOTH sanctification and justification rather than just one.
There are no good answers for my last post - once saved always saved…written over and over again in scripture…
Wow! The arrogance of this. I thought you were open and looking for answers. I am starting to doubt that with consistent statements resembling this. You keep saying sorry and that you will try to do better, yet here you are again. Was this the type of repentance you brought to God the first time?
Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life…
And? You’re prooftexting again. That’s a bad habit and poor debating tactic. It may work on someone who hasn’t read that verse before and does not know their faith, but you’ll have to do better than that here.
I have this gift in the present tense and it is a gift from God just as my faith was a gift from Him and the gifts and calling of God are without repentance (Romans 11:29). Eternal life is just as it says it is - eternal and mine forever. I am a witness to these things…
Great job. I have this gift currently as well. Nobody questions that. Apparently you are having difficulty making out the debate. We all agree that we can possess justification in the present tense and this is a gift from God, just as our faith, repentance, and works are gifts from God. So you’re arguing against a strawman here. What we don’t agree with is that one can never lose this gift through deliberately rejecting it. You have yet to make the case that this is a gift we cannot lose.
I guess I would like to plead with you to repent and trust Christ and him alone for your salvation and your life will be changed. Stop trusting in your own goodness - there will be no boasting in heaven because all glory goes to Him. May God show you. I will continue to pray for you all…
Again, the presumption and arrogance is so ridiculous here. Look, I don’t assume you aren’t a Christian merely because you’re not Catholic. Your theology is partially incorrect, but you share in a great deal of the truth as a Protestant. But here you have essentially stated you don’t believe us to be Christian. You have completely misrepresented the Catholic position, ONCE AGAIN, by stating we are “trusting in our own goodness,” despite the fact that this accusation has been rejected on multiple occasions. Hey, where’s the “openness?” Was that just a ploy to engage us in discussion? If so, how is dishonesty pleasing to Christ Jesus? If not, why do you continue on this path despite continuously being called out on it and apologizing?
Ahhhh…And to the one who was citing the scripture:
1John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

I will not answer you on this - you know what it is saying. These are the tactics that I cited earlier.

May God Help You All.
I think what is apparent is that your “tactics” are the one’s that are questionable. Time to fess up. Why are you really here?
 
RIGHTEOUS INCLUDES AT LEAST LOVE AND FAITH.

I Thess. 5: 8 … put on the breastplate of faith and love. In conjunction with Eph 6: 14… the breastplate of righteousness.

Therefore both love and faith are needed to for righteousness.

Whoever does not love remains in death (I John 4: 14).

Righteousness includes faith and love.

I AM NOT SURE, AND I MEAN IT–

In seems many of the people in this argument pay little attention to LOVE.

LOVE IS IN CHARGE OF FAITH, IN CHARGE OF EVERYTHING.

CHRIST & Love is first, in a cardinal sense.

Christ and Love is last, in a cardinal sense.

LOVE IS FIRST AND LAST, in a cardinal sense.

One cannot be saved without God’s love in our heart.

One cannot be saved without loving God.

One cannot be saved without faith.

One cannot be saved without hope.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera…

**Love gives “energeo” to faith.

Love animates faith.**

Love gives life to faith.

Love gives soul to faith.

BOTH ARE NEED TO SAVE!!!
 
QUOTE FROM JIM1130:

*No one taught “faith alone” for 15 centuries. *

Here, Jesus is presented an opportunity to slam-dunk the “faith is all you need” mantra, and what does Jesus say?

Matthew 19:16-21 “And behold one came and said to him: Good master, what good shall I do that I may have life everlasting? Who said to him: Why askest thou me concerning good? One is good, God. But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He said to him: Which? And Jesus said: Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness. Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith to him: All these have I kept from my youth, what is yet wanting to me? Jesus saith to him: If thou wilt be perfect, go sell what thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.”


You are not understanding the point here…

What does every sinner need to see before they can be born again…they must realize that they are dead in sin. How do you show them this??? The law!! Which is what Jesus did.

Ro 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

What do you say to someone who says they are perfect as this one did??? Tell them as John the Baptist said:

Mt 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

So Jesus said - If you are perfect…show me - for all the law hangs on loving your neighbor as yourself and loving God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind…BUT…HE DEMONSTRATED THAT HE WAS A SINNER AND NOT WILLING TO REPENT - TO TURN FROM HIS GOD OF RICHES. If he will not repent, he cannot be saved. That was the point. But, God can change the heart of anyone - with God all things are possible.

I hope you understand this.
No, you’re not understanding. The explanation you provided is very nice, it just has no Biblical basis. The guy came up and asked Jesus POINT BLANK, “What do I have to do to be saved?” Jesus did NOT respond, “Faith alone.” Rather, Jesus told him to “keep my commandments.” Nowhere in the context of this verse could anyone logically draw out that Jesus is actually trying to show him that he cannot be saved by the law. Rather, living a charitable life and avoiding sin are consistent with a life of faith. They are required to compliment this faith. The two go hand in hand. One without the other is meaningless. This guy obviously already believes Jesus is the Christ, because he approaches Jesus as his teacher and asks JESUS how to get to Heaven. Clearly he is one of Jesus’ followers. However, Jesus does not say that this guy’s faith was enough. Rather, he tells him that he must put his faith into action by keeping his commandments. And while the Mosaic Law does not save, the Law of Christ is separate. Jesus did not come to “abolish the law, but to fulfill it.” Thus, the Christ’s Law is applicable today.
 
And yet, the person referred to in Hebrews 10 as BEING SANCTIFIED by the BLOOD OF CHRIST was never really saved to begin with? Very interesting.

You are as convinced of eternal security as the JWs are convinced that Jesus is not God and as the Arminian Protestants are convinced that eternal security is wrong. All of these base their interpretation exclusively on Scripture.

God Bless,
Michael
Great post Mike! The internal contradictions in that position are being drawn out by going deeper.

BTW, if you put “Scripture” in quotes in your last sentence it would highlight the irony you’re trying to convey.
 
Redbandito

“Rather, he tells him that he must put his faith into action by keeping his commandments.”

Are you saying: love (His commandment to love) puts faith into action?

Or, are you saying: faith puts love into action?

Or, are you saying something different.

Sorry, I cannot understand.

I believe love (His commandment) is first, not faith.

They are placed into the soul at the same time, but love is clearly first and greater. It is first in the sense of ruling. “First” is being used in the cardinal sense of “first.”
 
Well here is my simplistic two cents worth of common sense.
Faith and works go together, you cant do one without the other if you are a Christian, I mean, how can you say you are a Christian, have faith in our Lord and not be compelled to do acts of charity, love, patience, and the many things true believers would do, because we do it for the love of our Lord.

This has to be the stupidest argument.:mad:
 
Redbandito

“Rather, he tells him that he must put his faith into action by keeping his commandments.”

Are you saying: love (His commandment to love) puts faith into action?

Or, are you saying: faith puts love into action?

Or, are you saying something different.

Sorry, I cannot understand.

I believe love (His commandment) is first, not faith.

They are placed into the soul at the same time, but love is clearly first and greater. It is first in the sense of ruling. “First” is being used in the cardinal sense of “first.”
Initially, faith precedes love. But as you said, this is in an ordinal sense. Love is greater than faith, but faith precedes love. Becuase we receive love as one of the three theological virtues in baptism. And to be baptized, we must have a measure of faith. From there I receive the supernatural gifts of faith, hope, and love, which enables me to love as Christ did. Therefore the natural outpouring of faith is love. However, due to our fallen nature, we often resist this outpouring of love for selfish intentions (But I digress). Regardless, while I think love of God will obviously help us to believe more in Him, I do believe that faith in Him also calls us to action. Paul’s formula is “By grace through faith; working through love” (Eph 2:8-10, Gal 5:6, My emphasis added). Thus, again my thought is that faith precedes love, but that we must add love to our faith or “we have nothing” (1 Cor 13:2) for love is indeed greater than faith (1 Cor 13:13). I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Furthermore, your last sentence really makes my point for me. While love is greater in the cardinal sense, that in no way means that it must chronologically precede faith. Either way, once we have been infused with faith, hope, and love, they all work together.
 
I want to thank you for your kind answer!!!

When I reread and restudy St. John’s three letters and St. Paul’s letters to the Romans, it seems love gives rise to knowing God, and knowing God (doing His Commandment) to faith. It seems to be a mystery of love. It seems to be a mystery of doing love (works).

Galatians 5: 6 For in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith “energeo” through love.

LOVE GIVES LIFE OR “ENERGEO” TO FAITH–IS THIS CORRECT?

IN OTHER WORDS, DOES LOVE GIVE OR LIFE “ENERGEO” TO FAITH?

Going back to Romans, what is God’s justification other than LOVE! He justifies us by placing His LOVE/JUSTIFICATION IN US. IS THIS CORRECT?
 
Before I leave I would like to answer a couple of scriptures that I was given to look at:

Trying to indicate that we are not saved yet…scripture speaks of the fact that we have been saved, are being saved and will be saved…

Have been - saved from the penalty of sin (justification)
**Are being **- saved from the hold of sin on our lives as we are being purified and purged from dead works (sanctification)
**Will be **saved - which is the case here in Romans 13:11 - as we are rid of this wicked sinful flesh (glorification)…This is a verse looking forward to the coming of Christ whereby we will be glorified.
Well, at least he has conceded some aspects of the process…it’s a start.

I’ll offer this again lest anyone should be unclear:

Salvation as a past event

But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. (Ephesians 2:4-5)

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

Salvation as an ongoing activity

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. (Philippians 2:12-13)

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:8-9)

Salvation as a future event

And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. (Romans 13:11)

If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man’s work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames. (1 Corinthians 3:12-15)
 
Redbandito

Is this correct?

I Thess. 5: 8 … put on the breastplate of faith and love. In conjunction with Eph 6: 14… the breastplate of righteousness.

Thus righteousness is love and faith.
 
I want to thank you for your kind answer!!!

When I reread and restudy St. John’s three letters and St. Paul’s letters to the Romans, it seems love gives rise to knowing God, and knowing God (doing His Commandment) to faith. It seems to be a mystery of love. It seems to be a mystery of doing love (works).

Jim Baur;1754415 said:
Galatians 5: 6 For in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith “energeo” through love.
LOVE GIVES LIFE OR “ENERGEO” TO FAITH–IS THIS CORRECT?

Yes, I do believe this is correct.
IN OTHER WORDS, DOES LOVE GIVE OR LIFE “ENERGEO” TO FAITH??
Yes. Again I think that faith is worthless without love. Faith calls us to love. Without love, faith is merely an intellectual assent. With love, I come closer to the source of love, who is Love. Thus, faith must always move us to love more. If not, that faith means nothing.
Going back to Romans, what is God’s justification other than LOVE! He justifies us by placing His LOVE/JUSTIFICATION IN US. IS THIS CORRECT?
Yes.
 
Redbandito

Is this correct?

I Thess. 5: 8 … put on the breastplate of faith and love. In conjunction with Eph 6: 14… the breastplate of righteousness.

Thus righteousness is love and faith.
I certainly think to be full of love and faith is righteous.
 
Redbandito

I want to thank you for your answers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

In God’s beauty (Ex. 33: 19), love, eternal happiness, infinite kindness and almighty mercy.

Oh , thank you!!!
 
Not by any means. WE MUST WORK, as Christ worked. He worked hard at teaching, preaching and healing. He immersed Himself in the work of His Father amongst men. We must all do our level best to imitate Jesus. This is the calling of everyone.👍
 
Redbandito

I want to thank you for your answers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

In God’s beauty (Ex. 33: 19), love, eternal happiness, infinite kindness and almighty mercy.

Oh , thank you!!!
God is so good and so merciful! I just got back from Confession, and I am full of “love” right now. Praise God! Let’s prepare our hearts to worship the incarnation of His only begotten son, Jesus!
 
James on Salvation by “Faith Alone”
By Dr. Art Sippo


What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says he has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him? (James 2:14)

The underlined is a rhetorical question in Greek. The implied answer is “No!” So here we are clearly told that faith ALONE cannot save. No mention is made that works are an alleged “demonstration” of anything. Without works faith is not profitable towards salvation.

“If a brother or sister is ill-clad and in lack of daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Go in peace, be warmed and filled,’ without giving them the things needed for the body, what does it profit? So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead.” (James 2:15-17)

Once again, we are told that faith ALONE does not save and is not profitable. Note well, it does not say that one must have works to demonstrate faith. It says that faith without works is DEAD. So the same faith that saves (i.e., a trusting belief in God’s forgiveness for our sins and for His redemption of us in Christ) is unable to do so if we do not act upon it.

“But some one will say, ‘You have faith and I have works.’ Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works will show you my faith.” (James 2:18)

This verse has been horribly misused by Protestants to pretend that works merely demonstrate faith. But that is in error. We have already seen that true faith can exist without works.

What St. James is trying to say here is that anybody can say they believe, but how can you tell? Meanwhile, the man who acts like he believes can give evidence for it. This was an off-hand comment that was never intended by St. James to limit the importance of good works. As we read on we will see this.

Now Protestants are always acting like there is some importance to “demonstrating” their faith before men, but there is not. If faith alone saved, we would not need to demonstrate it to anyone but God who knows the inner heart and who does not need our external works to tell Him that we have faith.

“You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe – and shudder. Do you want to be shown, you shallow man, that faith apart from works is dead?” (James 2:19-20)

Once again, there is nothing about demonstration of anything. Faith ALONE without works is DEAD and cannot save.

“Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by works, and the scripture was fulfilled which says, ‘Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness’; and he was called the friend of God.” (James 2:21-23)

Now we get to the heart of the matter. Works are not EXTERNAL to faith. Faith is active in our works and COMPLETED by our works. Good works are not merely the demonstration of faith. Works are faith itself at work. And a true saving faith is INCOMPLETE if those works are not present. That is, good works are an INTEGRAL part of a saving faith.
**
You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. (James 2:24)**

This verse is the ultimate judgment of Scripture on the whole so-called “reformation”. No one claiming to be biblical can hold to the Protestant error.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top