Being born of God is something that happens in the past, that is, if you’re talking about regeneration. However, being born of God does not mean everything is completed and now you’re perfect.
That is not what 1 John 5:4 says…
1 John 5:4 KJV 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
Once saved always saved…It is like saying this “Whatsoever has been born will die”. The problem is that you assume that I am saying that you could live a life of sin afterwards and consider yourself saved. That is not at all what I believe
In cases where Paul saw indifference, error, or wickedness in the lives of professed believers, Paul said…
2 Corinthians 13:5 KJV 5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
Hebrews 3:12 KJV 12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
1 Corinthians 15:1-2 KJV 1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
Going back to the statement…*It is like saying this “Whatsoever has been born will die”…*here is the argument that you would bring to me in this analogy. “Well, that is not necessarily true…you must first grow up, and then begin winding down after a while and begin a process whereby you wear out … this needs to happen…that needs to happen, and then you will die. But only until then will you know that you will die” (sorry, I am not sure what the actual death process is).
Maybe this will help…Look in Acts 27
They are on a ship and in trouble…Here is what Paul says has been God’s decree…
Acts 27:21-25 KJV 21 But after long abstinence Paul stood forth in the midst of them, and said, Sirs, ye should have hearkened unto me, and not have loosed from Crete, and to have gained this harm and loss.
22 And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man’s life among you, but of the ship. 23 For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, 24 Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee. 25 Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.
That is like the decree in 1 John 5:4 - You will be saved - I promise you…God is sovereign and has predestined this to occur. So, does that mean everyone just sits back and lets God do everything?? No, look what then happens…
Acts 27:30-31 KJV 30 And as the shipmen were about to flee out of the ship, when they had let down the boat into the sea, under colour as though they would have cast anchors out of the foreship, 31 Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers,
Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved.
God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility (I think you might like that) working together - and God ordains both…predestines both. We trust him. We are commanded to persevere…But then, God says that we will if we have been born of God…Why…because he ordained it from the foundation of the world…
Ephesians 2:10 KJV 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
The Greek word for ordained: proetoimazo - from 4253 and 2090; to fit up in advance (literally or figuratively):–ordain before, prepare afore.
Are we getting somewhere?
Also, with regard to faith working…I have been saying that all along. It is teaching about saving faith in James 2. This is the first time I see someone agreeing with me to be honest.
You cannot separate faith and works…We are justified on the basis of a faith that works.
Romans 14:23 KJV 23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith:
for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
God Bless and Goodnight