Now illegal for churches to have a drive in Sunday service

• Thread starter Thread starter PennyinCanada
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
St Damien was free to sacrifice his own life and did so, he didn’t tell others ‘Here jog on down to Molokai and do the same lads’. Also Leprosy is a disease that is very hard to transmit and St. Damien was on the island a considerable time before acquiring it, it would be irresponsible to tell people in crowded urban settings to behave in as though all was normal at this time. St.Damien is an example of heroic virtue but he chose to go and live amongst lepers you will note in an isolated spot. It’s a fallacious comparison.
[/quote]

Even on religious Saints such as St. Damien, we can argue. back and forth. but it will not be 500 plus posts.

Last edited:
The ancient Jews thought otherwise.

So he’s an “example of heroic virtue” that we should not follow? I’m confused - I thought examples were things we should want to emulate?

It won’t go from 0-100…

Small steps at a time. Keep pushing then stop for a little while. Then push again. Keep moving the line…

I’m not trying to compare this to genocide or someone being hunted or killed.

This is still persecution.

Only if the virus somehow is transmitted form one parked car to the next, which does not seem to match with the narrative of the last 9 months.

Totalitarianism? That’s nice.

Let me know when I should get a haircut.

So maybe the police should just go door to door, locking people in, just in case they might wander about a bit?

From my limited experience, people will take whatever precautions they feel are relevant.

Most people agreed to the original lockdowns to “flatten the curve.” Now, months later they look around and realize that people aren’t dropping dead everywhere (not that there aren’t pockets), and are now wondering why there are increasing levels of restriction being imposed, often by people who don’t follow them anyway?

That there are more egregious example of persecution and totalitarianism doesn’t mean that it isn’t happening here.

It’s like saying that I’m not bleeding when I cut myself because a person bleeds a lot more when they’re beheaded.

Exactly…

I’m not trying to compare this situation to anything unbelievable terrible.

This is a simple step…

Kind of tricky if not impossible to do the back of your head, though. (I know - I tried!).

I use a hand-held mirror with the bathroom mirror to see the back of my head. Of course it eliminates the possibility of any kind of hair style (not that I have much hair to style), but with the pandemic we have limited opportunities to socialize. I just give myself a buzz cut once ever 2-3 weeks with a no. 1/2 clipper comb.

One can of course enlist one’s wife if one has one… and she’s willing.

I’ve been doing this for a few years actually, since my barber died.

Last edited:
Seems we all need to keep our lamps full of oil… the persecution will continue.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. No sacraments are available to us currently.

I just had a phone visit with my friend who is a widow, living alone, who has frequent power outages. Her candles were getting low so her daughter tried to pick some up for her at a local Canadian Tire. She got to the check out with them and the cashier called the manager who told her she cannot buy candles. They are not on the ‘necessary’ list. She explained they were for her elderly mother who has power outages but no way, can’t have them. It’s dark here at 4:30pm by the way. Highlighted that gospel of keeping oil in our lamps. Here we go.

Our current situation… Come in for food and leave. Isles blocked off. These items are unnecessary… Then add the situation that you can’t sit in a parked car for an hour to hear your pastor, then drive home.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

A catholic using evolution as an excuse what a cold thing to say - I am sure there were lots of Darwinian awards handed out for catching the virus likely killed family members too with their stupid behavior

Last edited:
It’s the kind of bollox that was a symptom of one of the most (possibly the most) civilised countries of its time going mad.

Last edited:
I’m confused as to why a “TV church” has to have people gathering in person at all, much less sitting in their cold cars in the middle of the cold snow. Why doesn’t their minister simply stream himself and the rest of the service on TV?

Also, what’s that group of maskless people in the picture doing conversing with the police in a group? They aren’t distanced and they aren’t wearing face coverings and they aren’t in a car.

Why do I get the impression this is all more about civil disobedience than worshipping God?

Last edited:
I’m confused as to why a “TV church” has to have people gathering in person at all, much less sitting in their cold cars in the middle of the cold snow. Why doesn’t their minister simply stream himself and the rest of the service on TV?

Also, what’s that group of maskless people in the picture doing conversing with the police in a group? They aren’t distanced and they aren’t wearing face coverings and they aren’t in a car.

Why do I get the impression this is all more about civil disobedience than worshipping God?
I think it is also about civil disobedience. but their main concern is freedom of religion. Did we not just have a case/court decision in the United States brought forth by two Jewish groups and one Catholic Church in New York

The Supreme Court of the USA decided that those Churches have a right to assembly as long as they meet protocols.

Suppose you lived in a nation such as Canada that does not allow freedom of assembly(5 or less) or in the UK which puts pro-life people 500 feet away from the abortion clinics, what else is left but civil disobedience? We have laws in the USA that do not allow such things but other nations do not necessarily have those laws we so easily take for granted.

Last edited:
Kaninchen will be surprised to learn as a Jewess she now attends a Church I’m sure!
[/quote]

I do not know what the laws for Britain are on that but the Supreme Court of the USA just ruled that citizens of the United States have that right.

A final round of this hey? That was discussed and beaten to death long ago on another thread. There is a whole context behind the exclusion zone and the actual distance is 100 metres. You serve your arguments poorly by making up facts or not checking them.
[/quote]

Yes, it has been beaten to death by the discussion on pro-life protesters in the UK but the laws in these nations have not changed. That is why this group in Canada is sitting in cars at a drive-in, to ensure that no more rights are taken away from them. Only 5 or less can be assembled seems to be their law.

I will need to read the whole thread because I thought 600 feet and 300 feet were mentioned. You also know that we have a law decided by the Supreme Court of the USA that decided in 1992, a Massachusetts case brought to the Supreme Court of the United States that struck down abortion clinic buffer zones. We do not have any buffer zones around clinics in the US.
The case— McCullen v. Coakley was brought by anti-choice advocates and challenges the state law prohibiting any individual from occupying 35 feet around an entrance or driveway of a reproductive health care facility providing abortions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back