OCD Discussions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Angel_Gabriel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generic Prozac. I prefer Lexapro, but the Fluoxetine works in the sense that it moderates the anxiety but in no way stops the OCD. I still get bad attacks, sometimes for days i am messed up. It also effects my sleep more than other SSRI meds, but meds combined with forcing myself to do things does help. But it still isnt easy at all.
 
Last edited:
I withdrew my post out of respect for the severity of everyone’s OCD. I didn’t want it to be percieved as me comisserating with a level of severity I never experienced. It was a question about my childhood/teen/young adult experience with intrusive thoughts that somehow stopped.

Then I made this post so you don’t wonder what was that deleted post about? Was it mean? ( it wasn’t) I would probably fixate on something like that if there was a deleted response to my post showing up.

God bless all of you who bear this cross.
 
I know what you are talking about. I had the same thing with a similar prayer. Stay strong, and know you are loved on Earth and in Heaven.
 
OP, thank you for starting this thread. This is something that can lead to relieving discussion for many. We must remember that we are not alone, and this thread can help with that.

Thanks again, and everyone, let’s remember that we are not alone in our struggles and that there are people who understand us and our crosses.

~AdiLila
 
I know it’s not my place to tell you what to watch or not, but what kinds of videos are being suggested to watch?
 
I just lack in that area specifically. My aspergers keeps me from making close relashonships and new friends, It was prominent when I first got into highschool and Its been challenging. I retreat alot in my thoughts when Im conversing with people, I think of one thing and then I go into repeating loops of just negative scenarios of my possible actions. I just retreat mentally and feel real out of place. Im just an uncomfortable person in general mentally, I dont know if my actions would be the best options or what I do could be out of the ordinary cause of my autistic ways.

So I have been real shut in and isolated after highschool, thanks be to God that the Holy Spirit works within us to help when we feel weak. Although its been hard and depressing lately, the Lord gives me the strength and joy to keep studying scripture and fear the Lord.
 
I have heard of both. Both of those drugs (one an SSRI and the other a Tricyclic) are both considered primarily for OCD. I am interested. Perhaps one might be a better fit for my particular condition. The Prozac works, but only in decreasing the intensity. Then again, there is no drug that cures OCD. It can only make it more bearable.
 
There doesn’t seem to be enough attention paid to those who are scrupulous. Perhaps because your average person has common sense? It would be helpful to understand the parables that Jesus taught, as well as the figurative language He used. The closest idea to a scrupulous person in the bible are thee Pharisees?
 
Then again, there is no drug that cures OCD. It can only make it more bearable.
Knowing that is so hard for me (and us). I spent YEARS wanting, praying and hoping my OCD would disappear and have only recently come to accept that it won’t go away.

Maybe OCD is my cross to bear. Does anyone else here, besides me, wonder why God won’t cure me and does anyone have an answer as to why He won’t?
 
Last edited:
In late middle school, I really noticed my anxiety kicking in. Things I had previously been fearless about like going to youth group, talking to people, going new places, became such a huge deal. Recitals for my hobbies got to being really hard too because I got so so so nervous.
Then, in high school, I made the decision to go to confession and confess a mortal sin that I had been wrongfully holding back for a long time and that’s when my scruples started. Everything after that seemed like a sin. Every intrusive thought bothered me immensely. Just hearing people swear or take the Lord’s Name in vain threw me into hours of anxiety. I’d try to reason with myself and it’d go away but then something else would make me anxious again. It’s annoying and terrifying. I really wish that I could go back a few years and make some better decisions but alas, that isn’t possible. I want to be able to just live with a well formed conscience and experience life with the joy of knowing God is my Savior and that His Mercy is overflowing. 😦
I pray to the Sacred Heart to relieve me of this as well as St. Philomena for her intercession regarding this. I don’t know if this is perhaps a test from God that I’m not meeting the way He wants?
I do go to therapy for my anxiety but I can’t really don’t want to get onto meds because I’m pretty sensitive to stuff like that.
 
Last edited:
As far as “taking the Lord’s name in vain”, I can relate to you. There are people who often use that in conversation, and maybe don’t think anything of it. But it’s very offensive to me as a Catholic, and don’t enjoy the company of people who use God’s name irreverently.
And it’s hard to find other people who think the same way. What do you do when you are around other people who swear?
 
Well, it is hard to find a person who understands it even. Because it is a very strange condition and very misunderstood. Observers only see the external compulsions and most of us don’t like to talk about the obsessive thoughts driving them. I know I don’t feel comfortable . It isn’t like schizophrenia, where a person doesn’t understand they are acting crazy. We who have OCD know it isn’t normal, we know it isn’t rational—but we get so wrapped up in anxiety, we feel compelled to absolutely eliminate any doubts, which is impossible.
 
No. So far there is no cure. But a lot of habits have decreased. What about you?
 
I suppose the best you can hope for while developing your prayer life, is to consider any habits that are now gone as cures.
 
Well I’m definitely more prone to depression and anxiety in the colder months . …lack of sun and bkue skies will do that to me 😦
 
OCD makes no sense; “trying to be perfect” -which we think is God’s Will- doesn’t bring peace at all. And peace is part of His Will.
 
Well, I have been going to the same priest for the past several years…but I’m Eastern and yes, face to face is the norm in the East. Now, normally I would be terrified but it’s really helped…I haven’t outright said I have OCD and for me it’s not such a big deal (regarding confession) b/c I don’t have religious OCD now (although I did in the past).
 
OCD seems to start out of nowhere. Is your condition based upon wanting to please God?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top