Opus Dei: Why do they get such a bad rap?

• Thread starter Thread starter RNRobert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RNRobert

I’ve heard a little bit about Opus Dei, a Catholic lay organization. I don’t know much about them, but it seems many have portrayed them as some sort of sinister organization, from Dan Brown’s potboiler The DaVinci Code to various Protestants writing about the organization. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

40.png
RNRobert:
I’ve heard a little bit about Opus Dei, a Catholic lay organization. I don’t know much about them, but it seems many have portrayed them as some sort of sinister organization, from Dan Brown’s potboiler The DaVinci Code to various Protestants writing about the organization. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?
Try this previous thread: forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=14215&highlight=opus

40.png
RNRobert:
“Blessed are you when people persecute you on account of me” Mt 5:1-12. I guess because Opus Dei are doing ‘The Work of God’ it rubs people up the wrong way. Dan Brown…the guy needs our prayers…

John of Woking said:
“Blessed are you when people persecute you on account of me” Mt 5:1-12. I guess because Opus Dei are doing ‘The Work of God’ it rubs people up the wrong way. Dan Brown…the guy needs our prayers…

Some Protestant writers seem to think that Opus Dei is some sort of cult. I think the same could probably said of some Protestant denoms…

40.png
RNRobert:
I’ve heard a little bit about Opus Dei, a Catholic lay organization. I don’t know much about them, but it seems many have portrayed them as some sort of sinister organization…
My spiritual director was an Opus Dei priest and I talked to him at one of their houses, where other lay, commited people lived. No one ever hid what they do, what their goals are and why some people lived there.

They were commended by the pope himself for a good reason. The Opus Dei is strictly orthodox and gets the same “bad rap” from liberal clergy and layty as any orthodox bishop does.

They teach of living the life of faith,we are commanded to live by none other than Christ himself,in this materialistic world!

they mostly get a bad rap because they are conservative and orthodox…but there are some things they do that make them look rather cultish, even though they aren’t. For example, if you are not a member but are friends with a member or come to the meetings, they will put your name on a list called the “St Joseph List” and start praying for you to become a member if it’s your vocation. They don’t tell you that you’re on the list though. It took me over a year to find this out from an OD friend of mine. Nothing evil of course, but unnecessarily secretive, I think, and it rubs people the wrong way.

They are very quiet about revealing their OD affiliation - the centers where the numeraries live and the schools are given secular names like “Southold” or “Windmore” that don’t reveal that they are OD centers, or even Catholic. Again, nothing wrong per se, but it strikes others as odd and unecessary.

I was originally invited to come to weekly meetings. Only after I had been going to them for several months did my OD friend tell me I had already made a commitment to the meetings and had to come one night when I had other things to do. This was news to me!

Also a good friend of mine wanted to become a numerary. She thought she knew what numeraries did after spending time with the group and talking to numeraries. They had her write a letter to the OD bishop. After that was the first time they told her about the corporeal mortification the numeraries do. She was very upset and felt they had “tricked” her by not telling her about it upfront, waiting instead til she had already started a commitment to OD. She soon quit everything with OD and became a bitter opponent of the group (she was and still is orthodox tho).

It’s little things like this that add up and make the group look secretive, like it needs to hide something. Even very orthodox Catholics are put off by this and think the group is a cult. My husband thinks it’s cult based on what I’ve told him about OD, though I disagree.

40.png
Minerva:
they mostly get a bad rap because they are conservative and orthodox…but there are some things they do that make them look rather cultish, even though they aren’t.
Or perhaps when there is a lot of miscommunication…

I don’t mean to deny what you’re saying, but by no means this can be regarded as typical. Even though I had never expressed any interested in deepening my association with the Work, I knew about the corporal mortifications and it was told about openly. Then again, I still lived in my home country.

IMO, in America there are many de facto cults which distorted many common spiritual practices, of the Church or not, and whenever anything similar is spotted in a group as the Opus Dei, it passes as “cultish”. The problem perhaps lies in the eys of the beholder… Hey, to mainstream America, even the idea of a celibate priest is cultish! 😉

God bless.

40.png
Augustine:
The problem perhaps lies in the eys of the beholder… Hey, to mainstream America, even the idea of a celibate priest is cultish! 😉

God bless.
Uhh the catholic church and anything to do with obedicence to a pope is pure cult to many protesant christians!😦

I know that certain American Catholics, like for instance Garry Wills (spelling?) really, really dislike Opus Dei because of their generally conservative stands, which these cafeteria Catholics oppose. I also think that, as a relatively new organization about whom very little is known by the majority of people, they make a good choice as the generic evil organization in books. Andrew Greeley’s novel on a papal election (White Smoke?) cast them in a similar light. I hope that this is only because of their being conveniently unknown, but I regretably think that in this country the often strident objection to conservative Catholic positions also plays a part.

I’ve seen Regnum Christi and the Legionaries of Christ also get the same bad rap. For the record, I’m in Regnum Christi.

I’ve noticed that people who attack OD, RC, and other orthodox movements often use the same arguments that anti-Catholics use. I’ve also noticed that the attacks are often based on misperceptions rather than reality. Finally, I see contradictory criticisms of these movements.

Here are some examples (and I’ll use the criticisms against Regnum Christi and the Legion of Christ, since I’m most familiar with those):
  1. “You RC people are too devoted to your founder. He’s not a saint!” Well, anti-Catholics use the same arguments about the Pope.
  2. “RC only goes after rich Catholics. They aren’t interested in you unless you can donate a lot of money.” Well I know plenty of RC people that are middle class or even less fortunate.
  3. “The Legionaries are doing this just to get money and live high on the hog.” On the other hand, “Eek! Why do those men live so spartanly? Why do they have to do all those devotions and prayers?”
I could go on and on…

A few reflections from someone who used to regularly attend Sunday Mass at an OD staffed parish…

Their bad rap seems largely due to the fact that they are perceived as old fashioned and a step backwards by the progressivist Catholics. (Ironically, the hardline trads don’t particularly like OD, either, thinking them too progressive.) The fact that OD seems to connect with and make progress among the laity probably bothers them, also. I suppose that some are rubbed the wrong way by OD’s emphasis on working with the elites in society. Finally, they suffer from the growing pains and misunderstandings which have traditionally accompanied young, dynamic Church movements with unique perspectives. The Franciscans and Jesuits had the same problems, for instance.

Much of the difficulty, however, is based more upon the fact that many people haven’t actually interacted with OD and just hear the tales which make the group seem strange. The distrust of OD, then, is largely developing into an urban legend boogeyman more than anything.

Now, that said, I agree that a lot of these problems are at least partially self inflicted. OD often either hasn’t communicated certain things well (if at all) or just plain acts in a way which isn’t sensitive to the particular needs of the culture in which they exist. They need to reasonably adapt to the circumstances in which they function today rather than merely holding stringently to that which was developed for another time and culture. That is not to say that they in any way need to chage or deny their charism. And I respect that part of it which focuses upon keeping things more personal and not overly “Churchy” or “braggart”. However, I do believe that they need to be more responsive to the accusations of secrecy such that they may enable, foster, and encourage a greater openness and possibly eschew certain practices (like what was described above by Minerva). If they are not openly forthcoming and willing to readily discuss some things, then people will think that they do have something to hide and are some sort of secretive groups of which one ought to be distrustful. When OD was a small movement, it may have been well enough for them to exist only in quiet, going humbly upon their way. But they now have a VERY public persona and must be able to deal with this reality appropriately.

They also need to make clear to the general populance that members of OD are fallible, sinful human beings like everybody else and will sometimes act in unbecoming ways. It seems that while a lot of the problems which brings them criticism are institutionally fostered, many of them are also little more than individual members doing stupid things. This then reflects badly back upon the prelature as a whole, seeing as how it may be the only and most direct experience which someone has with OD. The actions of an OD member (or the failure to freely offer the fact that they are associted) will be emphasized in the mind of the average Catholic as somehow representative of the whole. The general Catholic populance needs to be helped to understand, therefore, that not every screw up by an OD member is necessarily representative of the will of the Work; while OD must understand that certain things which they encourage might actually be leading to these problems and that they, therefore, need to amend their own practices, while reprimanding (perhaps publically) those OD members who do offer a certain hurt or scandal to the greater faithful, even if it is only due to a personal fault of their own.

If OD, however, merely remains too parochially focused, insular, and defensive; not open to appreciating the legitimate concerns of those who are not their members, then they will quite understandably be perceived as cultic by some and approached with caution and reservation. They will ultimately only be furthering the problem if they fail to adequately respond and adapt to the criticisms.

40.png
chicago:
If OD, however, merely remains too parochially focused, insular, and defensive; not open to appreciating the legitimate concerns of those who are not their members, then they will quite understandably be perceived as cultic by some and approached with caution and reservation. They will ultimately only be furthering the problem if they fail to adequately respond and adapt to the criticisms.
I disagree. OD is a victim of a defamation campaign aimed at the Church that permeates the secular press. The press never knocked on OD’s door to hear their side of the story, although they’re a mere phone call to the diocese office away.

Moreover, getting in dialog with some accusers often imply in OD doing a mea culpa to something that’s just not true, akin to the USCCB stating that the declarations of some Jewish people about The Passion was justified. And this is exactly what the Church’s detractors in general and OD’s in particular want, to submit them and demorilize them. Any further dialog is pointless to a yellow press.

So I think that OD handles its detractors better than the Church by ignoring the accusation and thus not giving them any credit.

40.png
Augustine:
So I think that OD handles its detractors better than the Church by ignoring the accusation and thus not giving them any credit.
I agree. They have a very let-this-world’s-tyrant-rant approach to criticism. I’m not a member, but I know a few OD members personally, attended an OD-run parish mass (St. Mary of the Angels in Chicago–check it out! 👍 ), and been to a recollection. All of it is perfectly non-spooky.

Scott

40.png
Augustine:
I disagree. OD is a victim of a defamation campaign aimed at the Church that permeates the secular press. The press never knocked on OD’s door to hear their side of the story, although they’re a mere phone call to the diocese office away.

Moreover, getting in dialog with some accusers often imply in OD doing a mea culpa to something that’s just not true, akin to the USCCB stating that the declarations of some Jewish people about The Passion was justified. And this is exactly what the Church’s detractors in general and OD’s in particular want, to submit them and demorilize them. Any further dialog is pointless to a yellow press.

I don’t think it is a matter of either/or, but both/and. Yes, a fair amount of the problem has been secular attack. But that is only fostered by the reality of internal ecclesiatical attacks (which seems to be where the real problem lies much more so here). And, frankly, even when OD does formally respond to things (which they don’t always even bother to do), they tend to be less than as potentially open and forward as they could be, preferring to revert to the more limited offical “company line” type apologetic most of the time.

I do believe that there are legitimate concerns which orthodox Catholics have expressed concerning OD. And I think that it would best suit their own interests to take them to heart. There is no good reason to cut off a dialogue with such people. If, on the other hand, they only let it all pass, dismissing such as nothing more than a “tyrant’s rant”, they will only reinforce the predjudices while ensuring that they further isolate themselves rather than become an accepted part of the mainstream Church among good Catholic people who would be open and willing to support and defend them. And such a cocooning serves nobody well.

40.png
Augustine:

Augustine, I can’t add anything to this…except:amen: And God Bless You, Annunciata:)

There is a very good article in the December Crisis magazine about movements in general. It includes some comments about Opus Dei. After some time, maybe a few months, Crisis posts the issue on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back