Opus Dei: Why do they get such a bad rap?

• Thread starter Thread starter RNRobert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
edwinG:
Hi RNRobert,
I went to the link and read 90% of what is written there. The reason they get such a bad rap is they lack faith. They have commissioned a set of rules and they have cut God, as the Holy Spirit, out of His work. It is full of mens wisdom. Saving themselves, when it is God’s work that saves us.They seem to lack an understanding of God.
Christ be with you
walk in love
edwinGhttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
And you know this HOW precisely. Since this is a personal prelature of the pope and may I gently suggest, he may know a bit more about “faith” and them than yourself.

40.png
edwinG:
. Saving themselves, when it is God’s work that saves us.
Yes, it is Christ’s work on the cross that saves us. However, salvation is not passive- it is more than simply “accepting Jesus as our Lord and Savior.” We are called to “work out our salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12). We are called to share in Christ’s suffering.

40.png
misericordie:
This post is so immature and so full of SLANDER that it lacks credability.
Edwin’s post (and others he’s posted on other threads) seems to indicate a “denomination of one” mentality. The “Me and Jesus” or “Me and the Holy Spirit” attitude flies in the face of Scripture. God created us as social creatures, and we are supposed to belong to a church so that we can encourage one another and build each other up spiritually. The rules that the Catholic Church (and the various organizations within Her) have are not to “keep us from God” but to provide guidance and protection.

Answers to some charges against opus Dei. On it goes.
Opus Dei priests, members etc have plenty of faith. Has anyone accusing them been able to move a mountain with their great faith. I suppose if they had that sort of faith they would not criticise them. So the answer must be “NO”.
Opus Dei does not target the intelligencia of the Church. It has members from every walk of life.
But think of it this way. If God gave you a choice to convert a simple labourer or a leading politician. You’d choose the latter. because the good they could do for the Church is better by far. Don’t get me wrong. They will try to help both. But Opus Dei is trying to reChristianise the world. And they are going about it the right way I believe.
It has been charged that people must have some form of higher education ( false ) or that you must attain it (false). But let us note that the purpose of our existence is to become Saints. And to do that we must sanctify our work and everything else. So work is prayer to them. Also, working your way to the top positions in businesses requires many skills and qualifications. Opus Dei encourages it’s members to try and climb the ladder, not for their own glory etc. But for the glory of God and His Church. Because the boss has the best chance of making a Christian environment in the office, factory etc.
And if your a great boss or coworker your example which will be esteemed by many will open the path to do apostolate.
Opus Dei is working very hard to reevangelise the world as the Pope has requested.
A little story about St Josemarias faith.
When he had just started out, and had only a few members He gave a few coins to one of them and said go get a gelato. The man got one and came back. St Josemaria said, " You have just spent the last few coins Opus Dei had". And he didn’t care. His faith was so great that he knew God was going to provide.
Read his writings and you will see a great man of faith.
He will most likely be declared a doctor of the Church too.
Some early members are having theior causes investigated now. And there will be many more to come.
escrivaworks.org/

I actually hear surprisingly little from Protestants about OD, but when it comes up the corporal mortifications come up as does a Papal plan to take over America by going after Catholic Elites. Justices Scalia, Thomas and former FBI director Louis Freeh are usually mentioned as evidence along with others whose ties to OD get more and more suspect.

40.png
bear06:
Am I to understand that Edwin is not Catholic?
In another post Edwin does state that he’s not Catholic. A quick perusal of his posts revealed what seems to be a general suspicion of the Church, her authority, tradition, etc.

40.png
StJeanneDArc:
In another post Edwin does state that he’s not Catholic. A quick perusal of his posts revealed what seems to be a general suspicion of the Church, her authority, tradition, etc.
Amen.

40.png
StJeanneDArc:
Thanks for the clarification. Now I don’t need to waste time asking questions like “what would Edwin think of St. Francis.” If he’s not Catholic then he probably doesn’t think much of him! 😉

Still, I don’t think that Edwin could have a problem offering everything he does as a gift for God, could he?

I would just like to take this time to thank each and everyone of you who has given us some positive enlightenment regarding Opus Dei:clapping: The more we see the truth of this wonderful work begun by St. Josemaria, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, hopefully the more others can be accepting of it (especially w/ The DaVinci Code giving it such a bad rap…).😦

God Bless,
Annunciata:)

40.png
Annunciata:
I would just like to take this time to thank each and everyone of you who has given us some positive enlightenment regarding Opus Dei:clapping: The more we see the truth of this wonderful work begun by St. Josemaria, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, hopefully the more others can be accepting of it (especially w/ The DaVinci Code giving it such a bad rap…).😦

God Bless,
Annunciata:)
Why would anyone even spend their money buying such garbage as the DaVichi Code?? What trash of a book and nutty author.

40.png
misericordie:
Why would anyone even spend their money buying such garbage as the DaVinci Code?? What trash of a book and nutty author.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back