0
0Scarlett_nidiyilii
Guest
And to follow the rules of the house. So, if the parents live in the area, it makes sense to stay with them
And to follow the rules of the house. So, if the parents live in the area, it makes sense to stay with them
Just curious, what’s it to you if this girl has to follow the rules of the house that is sheltering her?Self sufficiency is great but it doesn’t just happen. Especially with college being expected of a lot of people it takes longer
Many, many, many people have done this. It seems the last couple of generations the work/study ethics have been lost. Sad.It’s unreasonable to expect someone right out of highschool to support themselves entirely and get through school
Or, say, Washington, DC.If someone is going to school in some very expensive cities such as New York City or the San Francisco Bay area, even a very small place might cost $2000-3000 per month.
Not that hard to do, really.Well she may be more mature then most college students financially. It’s unreasonable to expect someone right out of highschool to support themselves entirely and get through school which her parents expect and won’t help pay for
When it comes to adult children, the rules of the house should have to do with what takes place in the parents’ house, not outside of it. For example, I could see the parents saying that their adult child couldn’t spend the night with a boyfriend/girlfriend in their own home. But it would be unreasonable for them to say that as long as their adult child is living in their home, they couldn’t spent a weekend with a boyfriend/girlfriend somewhere else.Thorolfr:![]()
And to follow the rules of the house. So, if the parents live in the area, it makes sense to stay with them
I think this is what defines what is “reasonable” perfectly. There are always other options. As a young, respectful adult who lived at home during summers while I was in college, I struggled. My parents insisted on me going to church on Sundays when they knew I was no longer a practicing Catholic. They insisted I be home for dinner each night to eat with them. I could go on and on. It was about control. It wasn’t healthy for me or them. I sucked it up, but it certainly didn’t help our relationship any.When it comes to adult children, the rules of the house should have to do with what takes place in the parents’ house, not outside of it. For example, I could see the parents saying that their adult child couldn’t spend the night with a boyfriend/girlfriend in their own home. But it would be unreasonable for them to say that as long as their adult child is living in their home, they couldn’t spent a weekend with a boyfriend/girlfriend somewhere else.
In which case if I were the parent I might not let her boyfriend sleep over in my house. I might not let her smoke or drink in my house. My house. My house rules.Thorolfr:![]()
And to follow the rules of the house. So, if the parents live in the area, it makes sense to stay with them
She needs to decide her priorities then.She’d love to but she’s trying to get through school and working full time to do that
The problem is that some parents have bad and unreasonable rules. They might be able to enforce those rules on their underage children, but even then, they run the risk of completely alienating their underage children when they become adults so that their children won’t have anything to do with them later on. They won’t come to visit them and they won’t bring their grandchildren to visit them, etc.Their house. Their rules. If she doesn’t want to follow their rules she needs to move out and stand on her own two feet. Until then, she needs to respect their wishes.
I can’t believe this is even up for discussion.
You are assuming the parents are interested in having a loving, respectful, and healthy relationship with their kids. After reading some of the posts here, I think it may be a stretch. Very sad to say, but that is the sense I get.As for children respecting their parents’ wishes, the parents also need to show some respect for their children. If the respect goes both ways, the parents and their children will have a much healthier relationship.
And the parents also need to decide their priorities. Hopefully, one of their priorities is to help their child get an education so that they can succeed in life. It would seem to be rather unfortunate if it’s a higher priority for them to enforce unreasonable rules about what their adult child can do outside the home even if this causes the child to move away from their parents’ home and give up going to college.rosejmj:![]()
She needs to decide her priorities then.She’d love to but she’s trying to get through school and working full time to do that