Please help clarify catholic understanding of Islam

  • Thread starter Thread starter jjsmity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignatius;12474412:
In addition to his books, I have also found some additional audio and Q&A’s in Islam from Catholic Answers, Zenit, Franciscan University at Steubenville and EWTN. Four very reliable sources!

catholic.com/search/content/Spencer%2C%20Robert
ewtn.com/library/CHISTORY/zaftcrus.htm

**Fr. A. G. Sertillanges - “Walking with Jesus in the Holy Land” **bookmark9888.mp3
Host - Doug Keck and Robert Spencer

youtube.com/watch?v=UZBXHxHbZZE
If you’ll notice, I have included links that have several other Catholic sources that are completely Faithful to The Magisterium.
I understand that your interpretation i different, that’s fine. If you’d like to post opposing views, well that’s what the Catholic Answers forum is for.
When you do, rest assured that I will continue provide many additional Catholic sources.
So no, you don’t have links to Mr. Spencer’s works being used or promoted by the organization within the Church .
OK, Here’s a link to a book written by Catholic Answers:Islam - A Catholic Perspective - Catholic Answers
aquinasandmore.com/catholic-books/islam/sku/1820

Catholic Answers, EWTN, Ava Maria Radio and all those sources I have cited are completely Faithful to The Magisterium.

As I pointed out in my previous post (see above) I understand that your interpretation i different, and that’s ok. If you’d like to post opposing views, well that’s what the Catholic Answers forum is for.
I notice that you seem to feel that your perspective is the only valid one yet your only argument seems to be to tell me “YOUR WRONG!!!” Perhaps you could present some cogent arguments?
 
OK, Here’s a link to a book written by Catholic Answers:Islam - A Catholic Perspective - Catholic Answers
aquinasandmore.com/catholic-books/islam/sku/1820

Catholic Answers, EWTN, Ava Maria Radio and all those sources I have cited are completely Faithful to The Magisterium.

As I pointed out in my previous post (see above) I understand that your interpretation i different, and that’s ok. If you’d like to post opposing views, well that’s what the Catholic Answers forum is for.
I notice that you seem to feel that your perspective is the only valid one yet your only argument seems to be to tell me “YOUR WRONG!!!” Perhaps you could present some cogent arguments?
You mean re-present arguments? Pretty much every thread involving Mr. Spencer’s works turns into me wasting my time pointing out he isn’t an expert with the responses being-
-well it’s free speech
-well we can’t actually call anyone an expert
-well he’s Catholic
-well there is a conspiracy to keep the truth hidden
-well every picks on poor Mr. Spencer because he isn’t PC
-well one doesn’t need formal education on a topic because we all know higher education is full of PC liberals
-and the newest- well CAF and other organizations that don’t actually specialize in or are qualified to determine the validity of his scholarship publish his works

Want a short summary of why Mr. Spencer isn’t an expert on Islam-
-no formal education on Islam; his thesis for his MA degree was on Catholicism
-he isn’t actually viewed as a creditable scholar or expert on Islam by those that actually bothered to get a formal education on it and make the study of Islam their career
-spent the vast majority of his career working for politically focused think tanks
-the vast majority of his works have been published by publishing companies that specialize in politically focused works
-“his” website was founded with and is still supported with money from an organization that focuses on politics
-he writes for, is employed by, an officer of, and/or has his works “reviewed” by other websites, magazines, etc that are either owned by or underwritten by the same organization that helped found and still financially supports “his” website
-and see my previously linked commentary on one of his works
 
Dear old catholic guy,

With great respect, I just have to say it’s not easy to get published. If one group was willing to do it shouldn’t cast a shadow on the author.

I assume you’ve read the Koran. I did too. It doesn’t make me an expert, just familiar with the materials. If Mr Spencer is an expert on islam then that usually means he did his research and thesis on them. So a university must think he’s competent. Whatever his political leanings while they matter , they shouldn’t take away from his field of study.

In the end neither islam no secularism wins the war jesus does that. It’s up to us to evangelize through proclaiming our faith and then living it. Then means accepting persecution whenever and however it occurs.
 
Dear old catholic guy,

With great respect, I just have to say it’s not easy to get published. If one group was willing to do it shouldn’t cast a shadow on the author.

I assume you’ve read the Koran. I did too. It doesn’t make me an expert, just familiar with the materials. If Mr Spencer is an expert on islam then that usually means he did his research and thesis on them. So a university must think he’s competent. Whatever his political leanings while they matter , they shouldn’t take away from his field of study.

In the end neither islam no secularism wins the war jesus does that. It’s up to us to evangelize through proclaiming our faith and then living it. Then means accepting persecution whenever and however it occurs.
-Mr. Spencer has a MA in Religious Studies and his thesis was about Catholicism. If that is the base requirement to be deemed an expert, than Mr. Matt Slick would be an expert on Catholicism since he has a MA of Divinity. I don’t see too many “Mr. Spencer is an expert” supporters also claiming that Mr. Slick is an expert on Catholicism and his anti-Catholic website is a good source of information on the faith.

-Politics don’t matter? So you wouldn’t raise an eyebrow to the validity of claims in an anti-Catholic book written by
-someone with far left political leanings and
-a long career working for far left think tanks and
-now works for, both directly and indirectly, an organization that focuses on far left politics and
-has a history of having his/her work “reviewed” (none negative) by other people who work directly or indirectly for the same organization and/or hold similar political viewpoints;
-with the findings of his/her books somehow always falling in line with the talking points/taglines of far left politics and
-who just so happens have the vast majority of his/her works published by publishing companies that specialize in far left political books and
-all of which he/she does without bothering to get any formal education on Catholicism and instead claims to have been studying the faith for years and
-with his/her standard rebuttal to criticism of his/her lack of formal education and/or works being that he/she is just being persecuted for not being PC and presenting the actual truth?

It would never cross your mind that the author’s political leanings may influence their work and dictate the conclusions they find in their work?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top