Power of the Rosary---is this True?

• Thread starter Thread starter sparkle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
edwinG:
… first line says that Mary was the first believer. Is this in scripture?When did she believe?
To answer your first question, Scripture records Mary as the first believer: Luke 1:45 “Blessed are you who BELIEVED that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled”.

*Was she the first to hear John the Baptist? *
To answer your second question, actually John the Baptist was the first to hear MARY… Luke 1:44 “For at the moment the sound of your (Mary’s) greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb (John) leaped for joy!”

Thirdly, Edwin G., don’t give up on Scripture verses which might at first seem contrary to a doctrinal view you hold. (It’s always possible your doctrinal opinion might need some adjustment.) I refer to your suggestion that the Transfiguration Event may or may not have been from God (your post #159)

Lastly, if Jesus is your brother, then Mary is still your Mother, whether you accept her that way or not. Hey, God set it up that way, not us! She’ll be ready when you’re ready…

God Bless Us All !*

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE “POWER OF THE ROSARY”:

"Heaven’s Key to Peace"
is a riveting, one-hour documentary which explains how the world can achieve lasting world peace.

It will air in the United States
Wednesday, December 8, 2004 on PAX TV Network
at
11:00 a.m. (Central/Mountain)
12 Noon (Eastern/Pacific) and
11:00 p.m. (Central/Mountain)
12:00 Midnight (Eastern/Pacific)

It will air in **Canada **on Vision TV
Saturday, December 4, 2004 at
5:00 p.m. Pacific, 6:00 p.m. Mountain
7:00 p.m. Central, 8:00 p.m. Eastern
9:00 p.m. Atlantic, 9:30 p.m. NFLD
and Wednesday, December 8, 2004 at
12 noon Pacific, 1:00 p.m. Mountain
2:00 p.m. Central, 3:00 p.m. Eastern
4:00 p.m. Atlantic, 4:30 p.m. NFLD

You can honor Our Lady on The Feast of Her Immaculate Conception (and the 150th Anniversary of the Solemn Proclamation of this Dogma of Catholic Faith) by watching this all-important national TV viewing. If you have cable, please check your local listings for PAX or Vision TV in your area.

Call 1-800-263-8160 or visit fatima.org for more details.

If you are watching this on satellite - Direct TV (channel 255) or EchoStar (Dish) (channel 181) then you will see PAX TV at 12 noon Eastern time, 11:00 a.m. Central time, 10:00 a.m. Mountain time and 9:00 a.m. Pacific time. The night program will play on December 8, at 11:00 p.m. Central time, 10:00 p.m. Mountain time, 9:00 p.m. Pacific time and 12 Midnight on the East Coast.

Please encourage your friends, family, and neighbors to watch this unique TV program.

Pax Station Guide:
paxtv.com/stations/list.cfm

40.png
edwinG:
Hi,
Oops I am on the wrong thread. But here is the question. As you state, Mary is the Mother of Jesus and Jesus is the church and therefore Mary is the mother of the church, I ask you, Christ is the head of this body, the church. Now if His mother is His head, where is she. You and I being brothers and sisters are in His body.
Christ be with you
walk in lovehttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
edwinG
hmmm, i was always under the impression that Christ was the Head, the Church was the body…but Mary was the neck through which the body flows to reach the Head… kinda fits in with Mary being intercessor to Her Son…and Jesus distributing graces through Her… not too difficult a concept…heh?

40.png
MariaG:
Where is it in Scripture? In the first 2 chapters of Luke.
I do not know when she first believed as it says in Chapter 2 she pondered them in her heart. Is this when she first believed? I am not sure. But, for example, at the wedding of Cana, even though Jesus had not yet begun His public ministry, Mary clearly realized what He could do because she brought to Him the problem of no more wine.

Even though Mary is the Mother of God, she is a created being just like you and me, therefore, she can never be above Christ. So in that way, she is just like you and I. However, she IS the Mother of God. This gives her a unique relationship that no other created being has. Unless you deny that Jesus while fully God, was also fully human, Mary IS His Mother. Jesus IS God. That would make Mary the Mother of God.

I hope this adds a slightly new perspective and understanding.

Your sister in Christ,
Maria

p.s.

Edwin, the person who wrote praises of Mary posted on a spot to talk about Mary. (Nor is she Catholic yet.) Why don’t you start a new thread on praises to the Holy Spirit and see what happens before judging on this again? Maybe in Spirituality?
Hi Maria,
Thank you for the suggestion. I will put a post in Spirituality.
That the person is not catholic is not of importance. That Christs name is not mentioned is very important as it is His name which has authority, His name which is to be honored.
Jesus says He will go to His Father who is greater than He.
I believe this, I believe that the Father is the Will, Christ the word and the Holy Spirit the Spirit. Mary was the mother of the flesh, Jesus, God was the Father of the Word and the Word is God, in Christ’s name.Mary is the mother of the flesh. She is mother of Jesus Christ the flesh not Jesus Christ the Eternal Word. Their is a mystery here and the catholic church uses this and a persons Holy fear of God to pursue this teaching.

Mary is the mother of Jesus and a saint. She is a servant of God as we all are, each doing His will according to His plan, and we will all receive our reward on that day.

Which names do you see in this post which are glorfied if any?
If you see names glorfied, is this correct according to scripture?

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male or female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 4:26 But the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Galatians 5:2 Indeed I, Paul say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
Does the catholic church have laws? Can this be the reason there is so little evidence of testimony of Christ and the Holy Spirit?
Galatians 5:4 You have become estranged from Christ , you who attempt to be justified by law, you have fallen from grace.
Christ be with you
edwinG

40.png
CatholicCrusade:
IF YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE “POWER OF THE ROSARY”:

"Heaven’s Key to Peace"
is a riveting, one-hour documentary which explains how the world can achieve lasting world peace.

It will air in the United States
Wednesday, December 8, 2004 on PAX TV Network
at
11:00 a.m. (Central/Mountain)
12 Noon (Eastern/Pacific) and
11:00 p.m. (Central/Mountain)
12:00 Midnight (Eastern/Pacific)

It will air in **Canada **on Vision TV
Saturday, December 4, 2004 at
5:00 p.m. Pacific, 6:00 p.m. Mountain
7:00 p.m. Central, 8:00 p.m. Eastern
9:00 p.m. Atlantic, 9:30 p.m. NFLD
and Wednesday, December 8, 2004 at
12 noon Pacific, 1:00 p.m. Mountain
2:00 p.m. Central, 3:00 p.m. Eastern
4:00 p.m. Atlantic, 4:30 p.m. NFLD

You can honor Our Lady on The Feast of Her Immaculate Conception (and the 150th Anniversary of the Solemn Proclamation of this Dogma of Catholic Faith) by watching this all-important national TV viewing. If you have cable, please check your local listings for PAX or Vision TV in your area.

Call 1-800-263-8160 or visit fatima.org for more details.

If you are watching this on satellite - Direct TV (channel 255) or EchoStar (Dish) (channel 181) then you will see PAX TV at 12 noon Eastern time, 11:00 a.m. Central time, 10:00 a.m. Mountain time and 9:00 a.m. Pacific time. The night program will play on December 8, at 11:00 p.m. Central time, 10:00 p.m. Mountain time, 9:00 p.m. Pacific time and 12 Midnight on the East Coast.

Please encourage your friends, family, and neighbors to watch this unique TV program.

Pax Station Guide:
[paxtv.com/stations/list.cfm](http://www.paxtv.com/stations/list.cfm)
Hi Catholic Crusade,
I have been a member here for a few months and not seen a similar posting regarding the Power of the Holy Spirit. Can we have one please?
Christ be with you
edwinG

40.png
faithfulservant:
hmmm, i was always under the impression that Christ was the Head, the Church was the body…but Mary was the neck through which the body flows to reach the Head… kinda fits in with Mary being intercessor to Her Son…and Jesus distributing graces through Her… not too difficult a concept…heh?
Hi faithfulservant,
Thank you for answering my post. The neck is the answer. Do all catholics agree? Is this the teaching of the church?
Thank you again.
Christ be with you
walk in love
edwinGhttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Kurt G. said:
40.png
edwinG:
… first line says that Mary was the first believer. Is this in scripture?When did she believe?
To answer your first question, Scripture records Mary as the first believer: Luke 1:45 “Blessed are you who BELIEVED that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled”.

*Was she the first to hear John the Baptist? *
To answer your second question, actually John the Baptist was the first to hear MARY… Luke 1:44 “For at the moment the sound of your (Mary’s) greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb (John) leaped for joy!”

Thirdly, Edwin G., don’t give up on Scripture verses which might at first seem contrary to a doctrinal view you hold. (It’s always possible your doctrinal opinion might need some adjustment.) I refer to your suggestion that the Transfiguration Event may or may not have been from God (your post #159)

Lastly, if Jesus is your brother, then Mary is still your Mother, whether you accept her that way or not. Hey, God set it up that way, not us! She’ll be ready when you’re ready…

God Bless Us All !Hi Kurt G.
Thanks for the great post. I dont think I understand your third point, but it was very helpful when you gave me the post number 159 as I skipped back and wrote it down to refer to.
I like the way you put Mary as being my mother.
How do you view this? Mary is the mother of the flesh of Christ and God the father of the Word , which is God in Christ.
Note Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said to her " The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Highest will over shadow you , therefore also , that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.
Why does the catholic church not accept this, that Jesus is the Son of God and that makes Mary the mother of God’s Son, not Mary the Mother of God
And why isnt Mary my mother,
Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male or female for you are all one in Christ Jesus. No female to means no mother, unless you find a special place for Mary apart from being the “one” One poster said Mary was the neck, the connector between the head and the body. Also when the priests tested Jesus they told the story of the woman who ended up marrying 7 brothers and Jesus replied that there is no marrying in heaven. I guess no females.
I feel Mary will be a wonderful and beautiful saint. I will be so pleased to chat with her. I hope she is not being hurt by this false teaching. All those prayers must be making her tired, as she is supposed to be resting.
Christ be with youhttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
walk in love
edwinG

The neck is the answer. Do all catholics agree? Is this the teaching of the church?
I like that analogy too! The onlly thing I might be sure to make a point of is that we do not have to- are not required to- go through Mary.

40.png
alyssa:
I like that analogy too! The onlly thing I might be sure to make a point of is that we do not have to- are not required to- go through Mary.
According to many Doctors of the Church, yes you do, if you would like to be saved.

Moreover, yes, you must go through the Blessed Virgin insofar as She is Mediatrix of all Graces, and if She does not bestow upon you any grace, you cannot be saved.

Furthermore, it is a sin to say to believe that it is wrong to go to or through the Blessed Virgin. That is the only reason I can see why someone would not do so.

On three counts, yes you must go to Our Lady if you have any desire to be saved.

40.png
edwinG:
Hi Catholic Crusade,
I have been a member here for a few months and not seen a similar posting regarding the Power of the Holy Spirit. Can we have one please?
Christ be with you
edwinG
I am new. I got a letter in the mail regarding this program on television, and I wanted to make it known to more people. I think it is a wonderful thing that nearly 100 million Americans could watch this program. We ought not neglect Our Lady if we would like to be saved.

As far as your comment about the Holy Ghost, I do not completely understand what you are saying. Are you saying: why are you talking about the power of the Blessed Virgin instead of the Holy Ghost? If that is what you are asking, the answer is that this program will air in less than a week and it ought to be put out. If you are implying that I value the Blessed Mother over the Holy Ghost, I think that is a wrong assumption. The Holy Ghost is God, and He is above all things, but that doesn’t mean you can’t speak about the Blessed Virgin.

I may be confused by whatyou said, as I made clear above. If you didn’t insinuate any of that, I hope the first part of my answer suffices.

A clarification for Edwin G. (from Edwin’s quote)
*Mary is the mother of the flesh of Christ and God the father of the Word , which is God in Christ.
Note Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said to her " The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Highest will over shadow you , therefore also , that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.
Why does the catholic church not accept this, that Jesus is the Son of God and that makes Mary the mother of God’s Son, not Mary the Mother of God.
Edwin, I now understand where some of the differences of opinion about Mary are coming from. The difficult concept of the Holy Trinity is responsible for our disagreements. Your position is that Jesus is the Son of God, but not God, right? Just correct me as you need to, but we all cannot get inside each other’s minds, we can only read what each other says. I think you are saying that Jesus is God’s Son, but is in some inferior position to your definition of “God”. If I read you right, then we must firmly disagree. Jesus is no less God than God the Father, or God the Holy Spirit. It is a mystery, I suspect always to remain a mystery in this world at least.

Now I understand your initial resistance to referring to Mary as “Mother of God”. Of course, in John’s Gospel, “the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Jesus is the Word. So I believe you have another Scriptural problem to manage (along with the Transfiguration) if you hold your current position.

Also, you suggested that Mary is the mother of Jesus’ flesh…
implying that Mary is not the Mother of anything but His flesh.
But Edwin, my mother and your mother are not the creators of our souls, only co-creators of our bodies. Yet we wouldn’t refer to them as “Good morning, mother of my body”, we would just say “Good morning, mom”. Do you see this point? Mary doesn’t have to be the source of Jesus’ soul (in his human nature) and certainly not of his Spirit (in His Divine nature) to be legitimately called His Mother. Just like any other mom, she just has to be the source of his flesh to be called His mother. I think she qualifies, you think she doesn’t…We’ll pick this up later. Thanks for your posts!

God Bless Us All!

Ok Campus, I did not realize, thank you. I’ll have to go do some reading up on it now!

40.png
edwinG:
Hi Maria,
Thank you for the suggestion. I will put a post in Spirituality.
That the person is not catholic is not of importance. That Christs name is not mentioned is very important as it is His name which has authority, His name which is to be honored.
Jesus says He will go to His Father who is greater than He.
I believe this, I believe that the Father is the Will, Christ the word and the Holy Spirit the Spirit. Mary was the mother of the flesh, Jesus, God was the Father of the Word and the Word is God, in Christ’s name. **Mary is the mother of the flesh. She is mother of Jesus Christ the flesh not Jesus Christ the Eternal Word. Their is a mystery here and the catholic church uses this and a persons Holy fear of God to pursue this teaching.
Mary is the mother of Jesus and a saint. She is a servant of God as we all are, each doing His will according to His plan, and we will all receive our reward on that day.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male or female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 5:2 Indeed I, Paul say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
Does the catholic church have laws? Can this be the reason there is so little evidence of testimony of Christ and the Holy Spirit?
Galatians 5:4 You have become estranged from Christ , you who attempt to be justified by law, you have fallen from grace.
Christ be with you
edwinG
Greetings in Christ the King,

In bold, you just supported the false teaching known as Nestorianism, which was declared heresy at the Council of Ephesus (431 A.D.), then later at the Council of Chalcedon (451 A.D.). Your view point is little more than Neo-Nestorianism.

*Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male or female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. *

This is very true. Do you not rejoice at the fact the saints and Our Holy Mother are now with Christ? Do you ignore the fruit of their intercession?

Jerusalem, the City of the Temple-- the dwelling place of All Mighty God! Is not Mary our Queen the New Jerusalem, our mother? It was in her womb that our God humbled Himself to dwell in, as He was said to dwell in the Temple of old!

Circumcision is fulfilled in our Baptism, the Holy Sacrament instituted for our salvation, I do not see what you mean by citing this verse.

*Galatians 5:4 You have become estranged from Christ , you who attempt to be justified by law, you have fallen from grace.

Very true! The Law of the Torah is fulfilled in Christ, how foolish is it to try to be justified by. Read this in context!

40.png
edwinG:
Hi Kurt G.
Thanks for the great post. I dont think I understand your third point, but it was very helpful when you gave me the post number 159 as I skipped back and wrote it down to refer to.
I like the way you put Mary as being my mother.
How do you view this? Mary is the mother of the flesh of Christ and God the father of the Word , which is God in Christ.
Why does the catholic church not accept this, that Jesus is the Son of God and that makes Mary the mother of God’s Son, not Mary the Mother of God

And why isnt Mary my mother,
Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male or female for you are all one in Christ Jesus. No female to means no mother, unless you find a special place for Mary apart from being the “one” One poster said Mary was the neck, the connector between the head and the body. Also when the priests tested Jesus they told the story of the woman who ended up marrying 7 brothers and Jesus replied that there is no marrying in heaven. I guess no females.
I feel Mary will be a wonderful and beautiful saint. I will be so pleased to chat with her. I hope she is not being hurt by this false teaching. All those prayers must be making her tired, as she is supposed to be resting.
Christ be with youhttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon7.gif
walk in love
edwinG
Because those ‘teachings’ are heresy.
Also, I am a tad confused, you say we have no sex. Is Christ now without his Body? Is there no Son? Is there no Father?
And yet, you say she tires in heaven of praying for her Son’s Church?

Dear RomanRiteTeen,

Are you really a teen? If so, you give me great hope for the future of the Catholic Church!

Grace to you,
Paul

40.png
edwinG:
…Saul (king) contacted Samuel and Samuel said to the king for Saul was king, why have you disturbed me…
Hi EdwinG, I’ve been off for a while, so I’m getting back to you a little late. Ironically, I read the passage on Saul contacting Samuel just yesterday.

This is not what Catholics call “praying to saints”. Saul was using a medium to conjure up the spirit of Samuel.

Using a medium is sinful for Catholics as well. We agree that what Saul did was conjuring up a spirit - which is against what God wants of us. When we pray to a saint, we are not asking for a spirit to come to us. We are simply asking them to pray to God with us.

God bless.

40.png
edwinG:
…Ok we are all members of Christ body the church, of which He is the head. I see us as all brothers and sister and God as the Holy and Almighty Father. Now I suppose, but I dont know, that you see Mary as fitting somewhere else…
Mary does not fit someplace else…she too is a part of the Body of Christ.

Here’s a scripture reference for Mary:
Lk 1:41-48:
When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth, filled with the holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, “Most blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed are you who believed that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled.” And Mary said: "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior. For he has looked upon his handmaid’s lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed.
The first part of the scripture I put in bold is part of what Catholic Christians pray during the rosary. We proclaim that Mary is blessed much the same way Elizabeth proclaimed so in scripture.

For the second part I bolded, it is clear that all generations will call Mary blessed. We call her blessed as we pray the rosary. I hope this helps.

My appreciation for the rosary is deepened as I continue our conversation. I pray you come to the same conclusion.

God bless.

40.png
edwinG:
…I also suggest we all read Romans 14 and have a chat about the meaning of it.
Why not start a thread specifically on that topic?

Thanks EdwinG - God bless!

Hi Edwin:wave:
Mary was the mother of the flesh, Jesus, God was the Father of the Word and the Word is God, in Christ’s name.Mary is the mother of the flesh. She is mother of Jesus Christ the flesh not Jesus Christ the Eternal Word. Their is a mystery here and the catholic church uses this and a persons Holy fear of God to pursue this teaching.
As was pointed out to you by others, the teaching that Mary is only the Mother of Jesus Christ the flesh, is not a new teaching, but it is a teaching that was declared wrong by the Christian Church.

This is part of the reason you do not understand Mary and her role in the Church.
True.

What was Elizabeth refering to when she exclaimed in Luke 1:43 But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? Was she separating out the flesh Jesus from the divine? Where in Scripture does it teach that Mary is the mother of only the flesh of Jesus.
The only names that should be glofied are the names of God. Honor can be given to others, but glory is God’s alone.
Laws? Rules, yes. But that right was given to the Catholic Church by Christ in Matthew 16:19 bind and loose is refering to make and change the rules.

As to little evidence of testimony of Christ and the Holy Spirit, let’s wait and see. As you know I started a thread on the “praises to the Holy Spirit” in Spirituality. Come on everyone, help Edwin see the magnificent work of the Holy Spirit transforming your lives. I know Catholics as a whole are not as vocal as our Protestant brothers and sister, but it is time we start! Come and give the testimony of God working in your everyday life with small and large miracles! forum.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=25038

This is not just for the Catholics, but I would sincerely like to see an overwhelming number of Catholics praising the Lord. Step out of your comfort zone and tell what the Lord has done for you TODAY!

Your sister in Christ,
Maria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back