Power of the Rosary---is this True?

• Thread starter Thread starter sparkle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just think about it, when we recite the Rosary, we are praying the Scriptures, praying as Jesus taught us, giving glory to the Blessed Trinity and showing reverence for the Mother of God all at the same time! I would certainly say that there is power in that!👍

:amen:** to that !**

The Rosary is so beautiful because it touches us at so many levels. If we are just beginning to pray just reciting the words speaks volumes to God and to us. No matter how little we know of scripture or how much, it’s mysteries meet us where we are and take us higher. If we are burdened with care, we can share our weakness, our pains, our hope with the Lord as we behold His life with each mystery. We can hand over a special intention with each bead. As we grow in the Spirit so our pray grows. When love takes over and we get lost in our prayer, Love Himself stays with us til we return to our place. The Rosary is truly a bit of heaven waiting to bend down to earth and lift us with Mary to adore our Lord.

Magnificat anima mea Dominum.:angel1:

James 15,
Code:
 That is not the topic of this discussion, and it hardly seems like you're really genuine.  If your not really Catholic, you are being purposefully deceptive, not an impressive way to try to dialogue.  Anyone can twist Scripture, and the interpretations above are a mass of convoluted and tortured interpretations at odds with the Christianity of history.
Peter John

First of all, I was born and raised as a Baptist. I have recently started RCIA classes and have begun to say the Rosary daily. It has brought me closer to Jesus than I have ever been. It is a powerful prayer. Janice

to james 15:Luther indeed was quite devoted to Our Lady, and retained most of the traditional Marian doctrines which were held then and now by the Catholic Church. This is often not well-documented in Protestant biographies of Luther and histories of the 16th century, yet it is undeniably true. It seems to be a natural human tendency for latter-day followers to project back onto the founder of a movement their own prevailing viewpoints. Since Lutheranism today does not possess a very robust Mariology, it is usually assumed that Luther himself had similar opinions. We shall see, upon consulting the primary sources (i.e., Luther’s own writings), that the historical facts are very different. We shall consider, in turn, Luther’s position on the various aspects of Marian doctrine.

Along with virtually all important Protestant Founders (e.g., Calvin, Zwingli, Cranmer), Luther accepted the traditional belief in the perpetual virginity of Mary (Jesus had no blood brothers), and her status as the Theotokos (Mother of God):

Christ . . . was the only Son of Mary, and the Virgin Mary bore no children besides Him . . . “brothers” really means “cousins” here, for Holy Writ and the Jews always call cousins brothers.

(Sermons on John, chapters 1-4, 1537-39)

He, Christ, our Savior, was the real and natural fruit of Mary’s virginal womb . . . This was without the cooperation of a man, and she remained a virgin after that.

(Ibid.)

God says . . . : “Mary’s Son is My only Son.” Thus Mary is the Mother of God.

(Ibid.)

God did not derive his divinity from Mary; but it does not follow that it is therefore wrong to say that God was born of Mary, that God is Mary’s Son, and that Mary is God’s mother . . . She is the true mother of God and bearer of God . . . Mary suckled God, rocked God to sleep, prepared broth and soup for God, etc. For God and man are one person, one Christ, one Son, one Jesus, not two Christs . . . just as your son is not two sons . . . even though he has two natures, body and soul, the body from you, the soul from God alone.

(On the Councils and the Church, 1539)

Probably the most astonishing Marian belief of Luther is his acceptance of Mary’s Immaculate Conception, which wasn’t even definitively proclaimed as dogma by the Catholic Church until 1854. Concerning this question there is some dispute, over the technical aspects of medieval theories of conception and the soul, and whether or not Luther later changed his mind. Even some eminent Lutheran scholars, however, such as Arthur Carl Piepkorn (1907-73) of Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, maintain his unswerving acceptance of the doctrine. Luther’s words follow:

It is a sweet and pious belief that the infusion of Mary’s soul was effected without original sin; so that in the very infusion of her soul she was also purified from original sin and adorned with God’s gifts, receiving a pure soul infused by God; thus from the first moment she began to live she was free from all sin.

(Sermon: “On the Day of the Conception of the Mother of God,” December ?] 1527; from Hartmann Grisar, S.J., *Luther, *authorised translation from i hope this help you clarify your doubts about mary. remember this is luther, the main piece on the reformation…🙂

👍 A convert to the Church, I have seen NUMEROUS miracles simply by devout praying of the Rosary. I was consecrated (St. Louis DeMontfort’s) myself to our Blessed Mother a few years back. I’m amazed at what graces have been bestowed on my family! 10 healthy children, for one!

She leads us to Chist. That’s her job. We need all the help we can get! Anyway, dive right in the water’s fine! (and don’t waste anymore time!) OOOORAH!

AMDG
Bo

Simply stated, the Rosary is the Gospel. It’s the Gospel people. It’s the mysteries of Christ, and we’ve been praying it for 2000 years. We only know it as the Rosary today because that’s what it has evolved into.

For anyone, namely our protestant brothers and sisters, to dis the Rosary, it just shows their ignorance of the Holy Rosary. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way. For us Catholics who are intimate with the Rosary and its Grace; we know anyone who opposes the Rosary couldn’t understand it fully.

The Rosary has an incredible source of Grace; Grace from Jesus Christ. I especially like praying the Rosary with a group. As a Knight of Columbus, we always pray a decade of the Rosary (led by our Chaplain) before every meeting.

Here’s my suggestion, try it. If you’re not one hundred percent completely satisfied, the Roman Catholic Church will fully refund your purchase price. Did I mention it doesn’t cost anything? 🙂

Seriously, if you don’t like the idea of praying the Rosary, don’t. It’s your loss, not mine. I know the Grace I receive from praying the Holy Rosary because I’ve experienced it through prayer and meditation. If you’ve never given it a try, how can you oppose it with any understanding or clarity?

One last thing, the Roman Catholic Church is very wise, and if you think they concocted this Rosary thing willy-nilly, well guess again. It’s for real.

Our Lady Queen of Peace…Pray for us.

**Enter the Mystery: Pope John Paul II’s Practical Insights for Greater Devotion **

The Holy Father offers several practical suggestions to help us enter more profoundly into the mysteries so that the Rosary can serve as an even greater source of guidance for our daily lives. Let’s consider a few of those insights.
**— 1 ****—

Pause and Visualize Each Mystery**

For Pope John Paul II, the crucial moment of the Rosary comes before we pray a single Our Father, Hail Mary, or Glory Be. He recommends that at the start of each decade we pause in silence to prepare our minds to reflect on the particular mystery from Christ’s life.

**— 2 ******—

Listen to God’s Word**

Another way to prepare for our reflection on the mysteries is to read from Sacred Scripture at the beginning of each decade. Depending on the circumstances, such a reading could be long (e.g., reading the entire account of the Annunciation) or short (reading only a few lines from the scene). The Pope says this “is not [simply] a matter of recalling more information [for our meditation] but of allowing God to speak” to our hearts in a unique way. “No other words can ever match the efficacy of the inspired Word. As we listen, we are certain that this is the Word of God, spoken for today and spoken ‘for me’” (RVM, no. 30).
The “Our Father” A Family Prayer

After focusing on the mystery, we begin our vocal prayers by lifting our minds to God the Father. The Pope says when we recite the “Our Father,” we express two amazing truths about the Christian life.

**4 ****—
Never Alone

Pope John Paul II highlights the profound communal nature of this prayer in the Rosary. He explains that the “Our Father” recited at the start of each decade “makes meditation upon the mystery, even when carried out in solitude, an ecclesial experience” (RVM, no. 32) — an experience of the whole Church. In this sense we can say that we never pray the Rosary in isolation. Whether we are praying it at home, in a car, on a business trip, in the hospital, or in a nursing home, the “Our Fathers” interspersed throughout the Rosary underscore the fact that we pray in union with our friends, our family, our fellow Christians here on earth, and even the saints in heaven.

**5 ****—
The “Hail Mary”: Contemplating Christ with Mary

John Paul II emphasizes that the Hail Mary truly is a Christ-centered prayer.

In the first part, we repeat Gabriel and Elizabeth’s joyful response to God becoming man in Mary. In awe over the mystery of Christ about to take place in her womb, Gabriel greets Mary in the Annunciation saying, “Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.” Similarly, Elizabeth in the Visitation scene recognizes that Mary carries the God-man, and says to her, “Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.” Therefore, in each Hail Mary we participate in the awe-filled wonder over Jesus while reflecting on the mysteries of salvation in each decade.

**— 6 ****—

The Center of Gravity** Pope John Paul II also reminds us that the “center of gravity” for the Hail Mary is Christ’s holy name: “And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.”

He encourages us not to recite the Hail Mary too quickly, but to reverence the name of Jesus each time it is spoken in this prayer: “Sometimes, in a hurried recitation, this center of gravity can be overlooked, and with it the connection to the mystery of Christ being contemplated. Yet it is precisely the emphasis given to the name of Jesus and to His mystery that is the sign of a meaningful and fruitful recitation of the Rosary” (RVM, no. 33). ** 7 —**

Pray for Us Sinners

In the last part of this prayer we ask Mary to intercede for us as we ponder the mysteries of Christ. As Pope John Paul II explains, contemplation is simply looking upon the face of Jesus. Since no one has devoted himself to this loving task more than Christ’s mother, it makes sense that Christians would want to gaze upon the face of Jesus in union with her. The Holy Father says, “In a unique way the face of the Son belongs to Mary. It was in her womb that Christ was formed, receiving from her a human resemblance which points to an even greater spiritual closeness. No one has ever devoted himself to the contemplation of the face of Christ as faithfully as Mary” (RVM, no. 10, emphasis added).

The “Glory Be”: The Height of Contemplation While the “Glory Be” comes at the end of each decade, it is much more than a closing prayer. Pope John Paul II says it is meant to express the peak of our contemplation: “To the extent that meditation on the mystery is attentive and profound, and to the extent that it is enlivened — from one Hail Mary to another — by love for Christ and for Mary, the glorification of the Trinity at the end of each decade, far from being a perfunctory conclusion, takes on its proper contemplative tone, raising the mind as it were to the heights of heaven, and enabling us in some way to relive the experience of [the Transfiguration], a foretaste of the contemplation yet to come: ‘It is good for us to be here!’” (Lk. 9:33; RVM, no. 34).

40.png
rarndt01:
The Rosary was brought into being in the middle ages and was unheard of by early Christians. One wonders how God answered prayers for Christians for nearly a 1,000 years if the Rosary is the key to prayer?

The truth is, that more devotion is said to Mary reciting the Rosary then to Christ himself and that is wrong. Christ should always be given exclusive devotion in prayer. When Jesus was on earth he did not say, if your soul is troubled and heavy burdened, then come to my Mother and me and I will give your soul rest. Rather he said COME UNTO ME. Because Jesus is the ONLY one who can give you peace and help in time of need. As one poster stated, Jesus is our High Priest and Advocate. He intercedes for us.

Most Catholics do not have a one on one relationship with Jesus in prayer, but a “back door” approach where they pray to Mary to have her in turn take our prayer requests to Jesus. This is contrary to scripture. We are to BOLDLY come before the throne of God, because Jesus has now made that possible by dying for us and cleansing us from our sins. So now our Father in heaven will hear our prayers, because of what Jesus has done. As Jesus so fondly said, Whosoever will may come. Will you come to him today. It is my prayer that you do.

Ron from Ohio
I completley aggree and have struggled with this issue. After much prayer and seeking of godly counsel i have come to the conclusion that: If someone wants to pray to Mary that is on them. I prefer to have a relationship with Christ who is my Lord and Savior. I dont know Mary. I know that Jesus has died in my place on a cross, was raised and exalted to the highest seat of honor at the right hand of the Father. And with His precious blood i was bought out of the yoke of slavery(addiction) that i was born into. I know that we are given His Holy Spirit as a GUARANTEE…that we have entered into the Kingdom of Heaven. I know i was raised Catholic and still goto Catholic mass. I dont thinkt here should be division, truth is i believe there are people who goto mass in the Catholic church and the Protestant church who might not be living a life of faith in Christ. I dont think the Lord would want us arguing all the time ABOUT RULES AND ENDLESS GENEOLOGIES. WE ARE FREE! TO SERVE THE LORD! HOW ARE YOU SERVING HIM?. Love each other.Make room for each others faults, forgiving the person who offends you. If you want to pray the rosary i will share my experience with that, and how i understand it. If you still want to pray the rosary, if it is fruitful in your walk with the Lord then i am powerless over other people. Any way,. May the grace and peace that comes from God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
~Anonymous

Yes, I love the Rosary too! It’s my favourite prayer, next to the Mass.

Now, as for those who say “why bother praying to Mary when you can pray to Jesus”, I can think of a few reasons:
  1. Prayers of the righteous are powerful. We believe that Mary is was the most righteous human being that ever lived. Therefore, we ask her to pray for us.
  2. Mary is the Arc of the New Covenant. She is a powerful weapon that Jesus gives us to fight the enemy with. (remember that the old arc, the type of Mary, carried the ten commandments [word in stone tablets], manna [bread from heaven] and Aaron’s Staff [symbolizing eternal priesthood]. Mary carries Jesus, who is the Word made flesh, is the true Bread of life from heaven, and is the Eternal Priest in the order of Melchizedec [Heb 5:6]). This is why the Rosary is a “nuclear weapon” 😉
  3. Mary is the Davidiac Queen Mother. In accordance with the Ten Commandments, Jesus honours his mother. Like King Solomon’s Mother Bathshe’ba (see 1 Kings 2:13-20), Mary interceeds on our behalf to our Davidiac King, Jesus, and Jesus echoes Solomon’s words in saying “make your request, my mother; for I will not refuse you”.
  4. Mary is the New Eve, the mother of all the living - those who have eternal life because of Jesus. She cares for us with her maternal heart, and interceeds for us. She is a great gift to us, from Jesus himself. We acknowledge this, when we give her the honour due to her, and express our love for her through the Rosary. As we echoe the words of Elizabeth, “blessed is the fruit of thy womb” (note the divinely intended pun - this fruit redeems us from the effects of the fruit of the first Eve), Mary brings Christ closer to us, as she did to Elizabeth.
Thank God for the Blessed Virgin Mary, our Mother!

TTM

40.png
neophyte:
Absolutely, the Holy Mother can and does intercede for us. Look, I can pray for you, why in the world couldn’t Mary do it too, she’s more alive than we are and she has a son who loves his mother!

I joined the Church last Easter, started praying the Rosary every day about three months ago and I spend time in Eucharistic Adoration when I can. All I can tell you is that I’m a changed man, people that have known me for years have told me that seeing me for the first time they knew immediately that something’s different.

It’s like I’m immersed in a vast, bottomless, endless river of living water that wells up around and through me. It’s like a light that grows ever brighter, purer, more beautiful, filling the universe with its presence so that it would either vaporize me or fill me to overflowing with life and grace – and yet I’ve only been brought to the shallowest depth.

I’m certainly not learned or gifted, but I’m thinking that you’d find praying the Rosary and meditating on it’s mysteries to be time well spent.
Yes, neophyte. I could see you too have been touched by Our Mother.

40.png
TTM:
…
This is why the Rosary is a “nuclear weapon” 😉
…
Go, Weapon of Mass Devotion! 😃

btw, just realised the symbolic significance of the hip-Rosary friars and nuns usually wear: they’re always worn on the left hip; that’s where people rested their swords in the olden days!

40.png
mrS4ntA:
Go, Weapon of Mass Devotion! 😃

btw, just realised the symbolic significance of the hip-Rosary friars and nuns usually wear: they’re always worn on the left hip; that’s where people rested their swords in the olden days!
yep…good analogy…and probably why St Pio said “the Rosary is THE weapon” and was never without his… wouldn’t surprise me if they buried him with it in his hands:thumbsup:

i haven’t seen it listed in my skim of the thread, so i would like to recommend a wonderful little book by St Louis de Montfort called the The Secret of the Rosary… you can find it online here

rosary-center.org/secret.htm

Sparkle, Fr. Corapi does a magnificent talk on the rosary entitled “the power of the rosary”. It is excellent!!! He talks about how the rosary is “Gospel Prayer”, how powerful an aid it can be ( Padre Pio used to call the rosary his “weapon”) and so forth. We took a Protestant friend to Fr. Corapi’s conference where he did this talk and he is now praying the rosary!! You can order it from Fr. Corapi’s website: www.fathercorapi.org God Bless and courage on your journey!

40.png
jrabs:
These quotes are from the blue Pieta prayer booklet about the power of the rosary:
“The rosary is the scourge of the devil” - Pope Adrian VI
“The rosary is the treasure of graces” - Pope Paul V
“The rosary is THE WEAPON” - St. Padre Pio
“The rosary is the most powerful weapon to touch the Herat of Jesus, Our Redeemer, who so loves His Mother.” - St. Louis de Montfort
St. Francis de Sales said the greatest method of praying IS to pray the rosary.[end quote]

The Rosary is a sacramental and its power is not in the beads, but in using the beads to pray and meditate on the mysteries. Carry a rosary and live the life of an unrepenitant sinner and one might as well be carrying a lucky coin. I believe my grandson(16) lives because my daughter-in-law prayed the rosary for him

I’ll never understand the view of praying to Mary, or showing devotion to Mary being time not well spent.

When my Mother was alive, and even now (maybe even more so) when someone spoke warmly about my Mother (which is anyone who ever knew her) my heart bubbles over with pleasure. Now that she has been gone for 7 years this month, I feel even more grateful when someone speaks of her to me and I realize she is warmly remembered. If I could hand out graces, I’d sure give these people a bucket full. :love:

I can’t help but think Jesus feels the same way.

i can testify that the praying of the rosary daily has enabled me to defeat vice and sin. it keeps the devil and demons from attacking you. st. louis de montfort teaches that devotion to Mary is absolutely essential to our salvation and is a sign of predestination. as there is one mediator between God and man -Jesus, there is one mediator between Jesus and man and that is Mary. she is the conduit of all graces. we will not understand how significant her role in salvation is until we are in heaven.

The rosary has helped me more than any other prayer and i my own opinion extremely powerful. i recommend everyone to recite it daily, even if only one mystery.

I am a convert of almost three years. At first I thought the Rosary was fine as a prayer, but I didn’t understand the full impact of it. What I found out is that when praying the Rosary, I am closer to Jesus than I have ever been. I think what many Protestants don’t realize is that this prayer is a meditation on Christ’s life and Mary’s life. If you truly are meditating on each event taking place and the virtue that goes along with it, the Rosary is a powerful, powerful prayer.

God Bless,

Mrs. H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back