The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass has its own particular standards for music. Musicam Sacram makes these observations:
The document also notes the following regarding instruments:
Thus, there are parameters, unfortunately, they are often ignored by those who. while sincerely believe that this genre is acceptable, perhaps have not noted that Pope Paul VI wisely observed that not everything is fit to enter the threshold and, as Pope Benedict XVI, himself, said in Sacramentum Caritatis, certainly as far as the liturgy is concerned, "we cannot say that one song is as good as another.
And once again, I will state that these statements are very vague. Forgive me for continuing to hammer this home, but I really don’t care to step down on this issue.
Example of “vagueness”–Specifically WHICH instruments are, by common opinion and use, suitable for secular music only? Where’s the list?
And WHO are those people allowed to voice “common opinion”? The Magisterium? They’re not exactly common. The Pope? He’s just one man, hardly representative of “common opinion.” Musicians? Professional or amateur? Fans? Secularists? Where’s the list of those who are qualified to be part of “common opinion?”
benedictgal, you interpret those documents in a very narrow way, to mean that only certain instruments are appropriate for Catholic Mass, and that’s fine. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to argue in favor of it. You do raise a powerful point when you say that Pope Benedict despises all rock music. However, I can raise the point that Pope John Paul II didn’t seem to mind the “rock music” at World Youth Days Masses. I can also raise the point that when Pope Benedict was in the U.S., he didn’t condemn “secular sounding” music that was used at the various Masses. The Pope’s words about music are his opinions, that’s all. They are not binding on the faithful.
When I first read the documents, long before getting involved with CAF and reading benedictgal’s posts, I interpreted them in a very open way, to mean that almost all instruments are appropriate, since there are very few instruments
in this day and age that are strictly secular (Jew’s Harp…that’s about the only I can think of.)
benedictgal, I admit that you have been a Catholic longer than I have, so you do know more. But I have talked to other musicians and priests who have been around longer than you and I, and they agree with my open interpretation of these documents.
Here’s what I DO know is fact: the final word in any parish concerning Mass music belongs to the priest. What he says goes. That’s what Church teaching is, like it or not.