Problem of Evil [3]: Testing and the Afterlife

• Thread starter Thread starter Neithan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK if you want to quote an answer you’ve given elsewhere, please do; but don’t simply dismiss the questions unless you’re not interested in continuing the discussion.
That was the answer. ‘It’s better to have lived and suffered than to never have lived’. It’s been used many times. Not as a positive argument for life but as a way to dismiss suffering. Just take it to a logical extreme and see where it takes you.

In that worldview, nothing is of consequence and life has no meaning at all. If evil and suffering are of no consequence, neither are moral and good acts.
In the atheist worldview, nothing beyond this temporal life is of consequence. In the Christian worldview, the way we choose to live our temporal life determines our eternal life. Our view incorporates the evil of suffering in this life as a means to sanctification in the next. In the atheist’s view, suffering is anathema, i.e., the ultimate evil to be avoided at all costs.

So you are looking for the one responsible for evil. Who is responsible for the good?

You live a whole life right? Or is it all bad? (or maybe your life is nothing but good?)
If you live a whole life like very other human being does, why don’t you simply give thanks (which is what “eucharist” means)) that you are alive?

are you able to simply give thanks that you exist?
If you can’t do that, your challenge of God is a partial and selective whine. You might think this ancient thought problem challenges and disproves the existence of God but all it does is abdicate the human responsibility to embrace life as it is.

Last edited:
40.png
goout:
So you are looking for the one responsible for evil. Who is responsible for the good?
It is the exact opposite. IF there is a God, he is responsible for EVERYTHING, both the good and the bad. And the believers wish to give praise for the good, and deny the responsibility for the bad. That is the problem, and hypocrisy.
That’s not what believers believe, so how can that be hypocrisy?
That’s simply a misunderstanding on your part. Misunderstandings can lapse into prejudices. And construction of straw men…etc.

Last edited:
40.png
goout:
are you able to simply give thanks that you exist?
To whom? My parents? My wonderful parents realized that having children is selfish. They gave everything to me, love, help, teaching, whatever was within their means. And I was grateful for it.
Having children is selfish? I’m confused.

Are you giving full credit to your parents for your existence because they had sex and directly caused you to be? How many of you are there? Can’t be more than one of Unique You.
If your parents having relations created you directly, there ought to be a bunch of Unique Yous. (of course that would be contradictory since the fact that you are Unique You points to something outside the mechanistic act of parental pro-creation)

Last edited:
40.png
goout:
That’s not what believers believe, so how can that be hypocrisy?
But that is what they profess. God is all good, everything that is good comes from God… everything that is bad comes from the original sin and Satan. As if Satan would be free to act against God’s will… As if God did not foresee the disobedience and allowed it to happen.

With ultimate power comes ultimate responsibility. The fundamental problem for you is that you deny the equivalence between “actively doing something” and “passively allowing something”. Until you realize that there is no difference, you cannot be taken seriously.
Well, you don’t understand Catholic theology.
Specifically: the relationship between omniscience/ omnipotence/ omnibenevolence, and love. If you don’t understand these things in light of love and the responsibilities that love entails, then it’s hard to have a serious discussion.

The fact that God is outside time does not negate human free will (or that of Satan either).
Tis a mystery for sure. Look to marriage for the best analogy.

Why did your parents pro-create you, knowing full well that your life would have some suffering in it? And knowing full well that you would die someday, which is the ultimate injustice?
Cruel parents !!!

Atheists don’t believe in any afterlife. How does this prove your point?
What point?
Why does God require a test to prove you are worthy when he is omniscient?
He doesn’t but you do.
How is the suffering of an innocent person a “test”? Who is being tested - the person suffering, or the people aware of the suffering? And what of innocents that suffer when no one is even aware of it? How is that a test?
Who is innocent? Pain is physical sensation. Suffering is a state of the rational mind.
The claim was made that suffering is of no consequence because our mortal life is temporary.
? Not by me.

But that implies God is not omniscient and needs acts to decide what our spiritual fate will be.
Does not God know all things?
If free will is truly free within a given set of circumstances, then God cannot know a creature’s will in those circumstances unless the creature actually exists. I believe this is the Molinist interpretation, which is within orthodoxy.

Jesus said about Judas, it would have been better for him if he’d never been born. So I don’t entirely accept that idea that (according to the founder of Christianity) existence in itself outweighs all the evil of suffering. But, consider the idea that there are many feasible worlds with more or less animal suffering. Is there some point at which it is acceptable in the light of a good God, or is it always unacceptable? You’ve ridiculed it as “divinely inspired scales” but didn’t answer that question.

Last edited:
I think even with Molinist theology God can still be described as omniscient in a modal way: he knows everything that it is logically possible to know. Now that you exist, he knows exactly what you will do in this actual world at any point in time (because he actualizes you and the world).

Last edited:
I’m not sure who you mean by “we”; I appreciate your passion, but disagree with your polemical attack, which looks like a version of the “memeplex” hypothesis. [How do you know you’re not brainwashed?] But your post doesn’t address the OP and looks like a little tangent rant. By all means, please start your own topic! Mind the “troll-hunters” here though, they can be a little too zealous.

It all comes down to the three aspects of God: All-Knowing, All-powerful, All-Good.
Yes, an all-good God wills to share his divinity with creatures made in His image – creatures able to know him and freely willing to be with Him. God is love. Love desires union. If you do not want to be with God then, as an all-loving God, He must accept your decision to not love Him.

Your understanding of god seems to be as some sadist in the sky and you as his unwilling masochist. That’s not the way God is or the way He designed you. Pray on it. He’ll help you to see the Truth.

If one claims God has the following three properties: All-powerful, all-knowing, all-benevolent; then there is no way to rationalize the pain and suffering humans experience.
God cannot create an unnatural world;
God can only create a natural world. Unfortunately pain and suffering is part of the natural world. Disease, war, hurricanes, evil, etc…

God conceives his creatures with free will from life to death. The book is written before it is actualized.
God actualizes His creation; good bad or indifferent.

Jesus said about Judas, it would have been better for him if he’d never been born. So I don’t entirely accept that idea that (according to the founder of Christianity) existence in itself outweighs all the evil of suffering. But, consider the idea that there are many feasible worlds with more or less animal suffering. Is there some point at which it is acceptable in the light of a good God, or is it always unacceptable? You’ve ridiculed it as “divinely inspired scales” but didn’t answer that question.
That’s only a question I could answer if I was a theist. Any atheist posting here is not saying ‘this is a problem’. They are saying ‘this appears to be a problem for you guys - how do you reconcile it?’

NightOwl:
If one claims God has the following three properties: All-powerful, all-knowing, all-benevolent; then there is no way to rationalize the pain and suffering humans experience.
God cannot create an unnatural world;
God can only create a natural world. Unfortunately pain and suffering is part of the natural world. Disease, war, hurricanes…
As I said upstream, natural ills that befall us can be written off as just that: Natural ills. The earthquake, the tsunami, the falling tree.

But a significanylt proportion of creatures are designed (and you can use a different word there as long as it doesn’t exclude the will of God) to kill. Claws to rip, teeth to tear etc.

But a significanylt proportion of creatures are designed (and you can use a different word there as long as it doesn’t exclude the will of God) to kill. Claws to rip, teeth to tear etc.
I think in Genesis the implications of The Garden of Eden, before the first sin, was that all creatures were vegetarian or didn’t even need sustenance and lived in peace. With the first sin man/woman needed animal skins to cover their nakedness and to protect against the elements. Also creatures became carnivores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back