I still stick to my original question?
IF sola Scriptura is true , why doesn’t the Bible ( any Bible )
contain any mention of it ?
This I believe is the best proof of sola scriptura being untrue.
If God did not mention it , then it must not be important.
Without defending SS, I would not go too far down this track if I was you, as much of Catholic and general Christian theology is not mentioned in the Bible, but which is still important.
There is a lot that God has not mentioned, as Scripture itself infers, but I would not use that as the sole basis of rejection.
There are many Catholic traditions which supposedly have their roots in Scripture, but when you study the logic, it is a very long bow indeed.
Certainly, there is much in Christian belief which can be shown to be a valid and reasonable interpretation of Scripture, such as the doctrine of the Trinity, because a complete reading leads one to that understanding.
But what of the Assumption of Mary?
Revelation 12 is generally given as the Scriptural basis, but you could excuse people for finding difficulty with that, particularly as there are so many legends about her. Modern Turkish tour guides point out the house outside Ephesus where she is said to have lived her final days. There is much early Christian history in that region, and the story is plausible, certainly more concrete that the interpretation of Revelation. Biblical archaeology is not conclusive on this issue, but should be considered.
What of praying for intercession through the Saints?
Revelation 5:8 could be interpreted that way, except that the word “saints” in Scripture generally refers to all those who believe in Jesus Christ, both the living and the dead. The OT references of blessing and praising the angels are also used as justification, but in the context of the Psalms, I have difficulty in interpreting this as “praying to”.
What of celibacy of priests?
Paul says it is good if one can remain unmarried (and thus celibate), but 1 Timothy 3:2-5 and 1 Timothy 4:3 clearly show that early Christians saw marriage and family as the preferred background for those wishing to lead the Church.
Why did the Catholic Church change that?
What of the former practice of not eating meat on Friday?
I know that was not a theological belief, more of tradition, an act of worship, but it does seem contrary to NT Scripture which teaches that nothing that enters the mouth is unclean. I sincerely believe that the Church had only the best of intentions when it introduced the practice, and it was not meant to contradict Scripture, but wisdom should have prevailed so that the Catholic practice could not be seen to validate the prohibitions of Islam and Jewish practice, thus strengthening their respective cases.
Where was the wisdom of the Catholic Church when it did that?
What is the Scriptural basis for large church buildings and cathedrals, priests vestments, the hierarchy of the clergy, cardinals sitting at the front, bishops behind, then ordinary priests, and finally the laity? The first and the last? An external observer could easily gain the impression that certain clergy are considered holier than others. A strong Scriptural case can be (and has been) made against clergy-centered practice, and ornate church buildings.
I could go on, but any one example should be sufficient to warn that just because something is not in the Bible is not a good reason to reject it outright.
But Scripture should be used as the basis, to see whether any particular theology, practice, tradition, or belief, is either contrary to or in conformity with, the teachings of Jesus Christ.
1 Thessalonians 5:21 tells us to test all things, and to my mind, that includes the teachings of all churches, ever mindful of the Seven Churches in Revelation.
I too am saddened that there is so much division among Christ’s followers, and now well into the autumn of my life, I am no closer to understanding just how the Holy Spirit works when so many sincere, devout Christians have so many different answers. But in all humility, believe that the Word of God is written in our hearts, and when a Church, any Church, espouses doctrines and practices which either have doubtful Scriptural support, or can clearly be shown to be contrary to Scripture, in prayer I lay my doubts at the foot of the Cross and ask God’s forgiveness if I have it wrong, but confident that He knows what is truly in my heart, He alone can judge my sincerity.
Thus I give a defence, not only for the hope that is in me (1 Peter 3:15), but also for my beliefs, with meekness, and most particularly, fear.