Proper etiquette for hosts regarding guests who can't live without 'the game'

  • Thread starter Thread starter Armor_of_Light
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand getting so offended?.. Why not just respond with, “Oh I didn’t even THINK about that! I’m sorry! Sure, here’s some cash - get enough for others to have coffee too!”… or “Sure, yeah - turn the game on - we’re done eating. Do you mind keeping it turned down a bit while we’re chatting here in the kitchen?”

Just a general tone of being gracious is always the best response… no need to take *offense *if it’s not something you naturally do.
I do agree with this, but it seems like the guest was being rude by chastising the host for being a bad hostess due to not having the coffee. Now, if that was not the case, then, yes, I completely agree with you. Again, respect and graciousness leads to happy people all around. 🙂
 
No, I GET the tone of asking rudely… yes, every family DOES have someone special like that! :p…
But I don’t think there are any battles worth taking offense. It’s their problem if they’re cranky… you can respond as you wish!
 
OK.

Lessons learned. I’m good…
See you all on the next controversial thread!!
 
Maybe because of my personal nature, or partly due to my dietary restrictions, I tend to be very easy-going.

I would NEVER, as a guest in someone’s home, demand the TV be turned on/off, or to watch a different show (if the TV is already on), or that the host/ess make coffee or supply me with food/drink in accordance with my diet: I realize I am “hard to feed,” and I either eat beforehand or bring my own food (close family is aware of my restrictions and they are generously accommodating).

Host: Can I get you something to drink?
Me: Do you have any tea?
Host: No, I was going to make some later/No, I don’t have any.
Me: No problem! What do you have?

I don’t entertain, and can’t imagine a circumstance in which I would willingly have people over to my house, but if I did, I would be just as obliging a hostess as I am a guest. You want the TV on? Just tell me which channel. You want hot cocoa at 11 pm? Will do. You have dietary restrictions? I will do anything I can to accommodate you (assuming that I purposely invited you over, I would have asked about this beforehand and would be prepared).

As I stated before, I really don’t have a good answer. I see it as a “which came first, the chicken or the egg?” type of situation. Is it more “rude” to ask for something as a guest, or is it more “rude” for a host/ess to be unaccommodating?

I’m just not a demanding person, so I’ve never had to think about it.

Jala
 
Well in my case, I was hurt that this person looked at what I offered and said “this isn’t good enough.” When you try really hard, and someone tells you that you failed, it hurts. No one was demanding to HAVE coffee, in this case, in fact, it was that this person insisted that I was a bad host if I didn’t serve coffee (and I know this person isn’t addicted to coffee, but tends to be anxious about pleasing other people). Looking back, the 45 minutes that were spent “correcting this oversight” are not minutes I care about anymore. But at the time, all I could think of is the fact that the 2 of the most important guests at the party were going to abandon the party, stop the flow of what’s going on, so I as the host said something like, “well we have lots of other things to drink. I think people here will be fine without coffee. many of the other people here have family parties without coffee too. Let’s not make this a big deal. Can’t you please just stay here and enjoy the party?” And my wishes as the host were ignored, all because one of them wanted to make the point to me that I had made a terrible mistake.
 
No, I GET the tone of asking rudely… yes, every family DOES have someone special like that! :p…
But I don’t think there are any battles worth taking offense. It’s their problem if they’re cranky… you can respond as you wish!
I love you Em! You are so right. We are dealing with my grandmother being like this and it has been a lesson in patience and practicing kindness. She is in the early stages of dementia/alzheimers and as it has gotten worse, she has become more rude, cruel, mean and downright horrible at times. We have had to realize that our normally sweet grandmother is ill now and she sometimes can’t help being that way, but it’s something to remember and practice with family members and friends who are like this when they really don’t have an excuse.
 
I threw a baptismal party once that didn’t include coffee. My dh and I didn’t ever drink coffee at the time, so we didn’t think of it. We were exhausted from cleaning & preparing for the party, as well as from baby care of a newborn. The food and cake that we provided was delicious, there was plenty to drink, there was a variety of choices of things to have with the cake, but we just didn’t think of the coffee. I was chastized by a close family member for being so rude as to not have the coffee at the party. And that person went to the store, bought coffee, brought it back and made it. I was really hurt that I had put so much into being a hospitable host, to my own detriment (I actually will get a fever after hosting a baptismal party, that’s how much it takes out of me), and all I got was a complaint that my failure to provide ONE thing that some people enjoy made me a bad host. I was hurt, and offended, and mad that this family member didn’t respect me and my efforts enough to just live with this simple oversight, and be thankful for my hospitality. People don’t always realize the efforts people go to to be hospitable. In most cases, is better to be thankful and pleasant to them, than to demand they do more, and demand that they martyr themselves for your whims.
Maybe there should be a moratorium on new parents hosting baptismal parties. From what’s being described in all of these posts the Church might declare these parties as occasions of sin!😃

Either that or trade in friends and family for future draft choices — keeping with the sports theme;)
 
I live in Michigan. So on Thanksgiving, tradition for many is to watch the Detroit Lions game no matter how good or bad their record is that year. The game is normally on around 12:30pm when many sit down for dinner. In my family, the game is on in the living room on that large tv. After grace is said, people are asked to sit down at the table to eat first and the game volume is loud enough for those who want to hear it, not many will be able to peek over to see it from the table. People will gradually make their way to the living room with full stomachs, and its usually the younger ones mainly myself who start the clean up process (Even though I’d love to watch the game too).

Yes, it would be nice to make others take turns with cleanup so those who are often “volunteered” can have a break when a game is on tv on a major holiday where food is part of the festivities. But that is not always the case, as my mother insists I give up my chance to relax to cleanup even if I do not live there. So, I have to remain charitable as possible and try not to complain as she often does not wish to clean up as she often does the large amount of cooking even if other family members are not asked often to do fair share (example my sister or even her preteen/teen kids). It is up to other family members to pitch in regardless of age unless they are very young or old as an example.
 
Maybe there should be a moratorium on new parents hosting baptismal parties. From what’s being described in all of these posts the Church might declare these parties as occasions of sin!😃

Either that or trade in friends and family for future draft choices — keeping with the sports theme;)
Now that works.

When my son was baptized, my parents held the party afterward. I guess they thought I had enough to do. 🤷
 
I threw a baptismal party once that didn’t include coffee. My dh and I didn’t ever drink coffee at the time, so we didn’t think of it. We were exhausted from cleaning & preparing for the party, as well as from baby care of a newborn. The food and cake that we provided was delicious, there was plenty to drink, there was a variety of choices of things to have with the cake, but we just didn’t think of the coffee. I was chastized by a close family member for being so rude as to not have the coffee at the party. And that person went to the store, bought coffee, brought it back and made it. I was really hurt that I had put so much into being a hospitable host, to my own detriment (I actually will get a fever after hosting a baptismal party, that’s how much it takes out of me), and all I got was a complaint that my failure to provide ONE thing that some people enjoy made me a bad host. I was hurt, and offended, and mad that this family member didn’t respect me and my efforts enough to just live with this simple oversight, and be thankful for my hospitality. People don’t always realize the efforts people go to to be hospitable. In most cases, is better to be thankful and pleasant to them, than to demand they do more, and demand that they martyr themselves for your whims.
If you’ve never been chastised or at least obviously subjected to mental excoriation by a family member for not being able to read minds or do the impossible, you just haven’t tried hard enough…or maybe your family is still too small.

Being able to muster affection for unreasonable and ungrateful relatives and to remain unruffled as you offer your regrets that your life doesn’t necessarily revolve around what other people want is a very useful skill to have practiced before that newly-baptised child reaches adolescence, trust me on that one!! 😃
 
I threw a baptismal party once that didn’t include coffee. My dh and I didn’t ever drink coffee at the time, so we didn’t think of it. We were exhausted from cleaning & preparing for the party, as well as from baby care of a newborn. The food and cake that we provided was delicious, there was plenty to drink, there was a variety of choices of things to have with the cake, but we just didn’t think of the coffee. I was chastized by a close family member for being so rude as to not have the coffee at the party. And that person went to the store, bought coffee, brought it back and made it. I was really hurt that I had put so much into being a hospitable host, to my own detriment (I actually will get a fever after hosting a baptismal party, that’s how much it takes out of me), and all I got was a complaint that my failure to provide ONE thing that some people enjoy made me a bad host. I was hurt, and offended, and mad that this family member didn’t respect me and my efforts enough to just live with this simple oversight, and be thankful for my hospitality. People don’t always realize the efforts people go to to be hospitable. In most cases, is better to be thankful and pleasant to them, than to demand they do more, and demand that they martyr themselves for your whims.
I guess I was always taught that if you ask for something and the host says no for any reason, then the guest is supposed to be gracious and accept that. The host should accommodate if possible, but if comes to a head, then the host gets the last word.
 
Thanks!

It was this past weekend…and it was a great time indeed. Even for MY BROTHER!! 😃 ** I don’t drink, but did buy a some beer for those who do.** Like I said…I was remiss in my planning and next time I’ll set up a sports bar in the family room. This thread really has taught me a lot. We don’t get to host very often…just moved into a house that can hold a party pretty well…I look forward to the next gathering. My family is really just fine…warts and all I love them dearly and if the sport-os want the TV, then by gosh I’ll provide it. We are here to serve. I heard that somewhere recently…:rolleyes:
See, you accommodated the people who drink, no question. So, accommodate the ones who want to watch sports, which it sounds like you plan to. Problem solved.

👍
 
I guess I was always taught that if you ask for something and the host says no for any reason, then the guest is supposed to be gracious and accept that. The host should accommodate if possible, but if comes to a head, then the host gets the last word.
It is good to accomodate where possible, but it always goes both ways. Communication is good, but it is best to assume that the other is doing their best. On that account, the less the host is concerned with what the guest “ought” to do and the less the guest is concerned with what the host “ought” to do, the better.
 
👍

And if you know ahead of time that you are not going to have the TV on for those that ALWAYS watch the Appalachian League’s girls’ field hockey tournament because you feel it is morally superior to NOT watch TV, then yes, you are going to get some push back.

The point is, if you KNOW your family is going to want to watch the game, and you refuse to allow them to do what you KNOW they want to do, you are just as inflexible as they are. In other words, you are both wrong.
I never claimed to be morally superior to anyone. There are plenty of sports I enjoy watching, and if it’s a big game, even more so. However, I find it problematic and rude when people can’t take 2 hours away from their sports-watching out of respect for a relative celebrating a birthday, holiday or a once-in-a-liftetime event. Like I pointed out, the biggest issue I have isn’t when it’s a playoff game, Superbowl, etc., but occasions like the time the room full of golf-hating relatives yelled at the kids to keep it down and/or go in the other room because they couldn’t hear what Tyrone van Aswegen’s caddy said about his club selection. As I pointed out, if this were any other activity, the people cutting themselves off from the rest of the group, refusing to sing Happy Birthday to their 5-year-old nephew and yelling at everyone to shut up and stay out of the way so can engage in activity that they’ll freely admit means absolutely nothing to them and which they have access to 24/7 would be viewed as far beyond rude. Instead, since it’s sports, the people who feel these others should be able to sacrifice watching opening ceremonies for the sumo quarter-finals are demonized and considered to be at least as bad, if not far worse than the sports junkies. Would they get a pass if they chose to skip the Baptism as well?
 
I never claimed to be morally superior to anyone. There are plenty of sports I enjoy watching, and if it’s a big game, even more so. However, I find it problematic and rude when people can’t take 2 hours away from their sports-watching out of respect for a relative celebrating a birthday, holiday or a once-in-a-liftetime event. Like I pointed out, the biggest issue I have isn’t when it’s a playoff game, Superbowl, etc., but occasions like the time the room full of golf-hating relatives yelled at the kids to keep it down and/or go in the other room because they couldn’t hear what Tyrone van Aswegen’s caddy said about his club selection. As I pointed out, if this were any other activity, the people cutting themselves off from the rest of the group, refusing to sing Happy Birthday to their 5-year-old nephew and yelling at everyone to shut up and stay out of the way so can engage in activity that they’ll freely admit means absolutely nothing to them and which they have access to 24/7 would be viewed as far beyond rude. Instead, since it’s sports, the people who feel these others should be able to sacrifice watching opening ceremonies for the sumo quarter-finals are demonized and considered to be at least as bad, if not far worse than the sports junkies. Would they get a pass if they chose to skip the Baptism as well?
A hundred years ago, this kind would have gotten their drink, sat down on the horsehair sofa that no one was ever allowed to sit on except when company was there, in the room where the kids were not allowed to play ever, and either complained to others their own age about nothing in particular or, not finding a kindred soul who resented having to spend time with relatives at all, glowered off into space solely in the company of whatever tobacco product they preferred, yelled at any child that did not understand that “children are to be seen and not heard”, and gone home as soon as their spouse allowed it.

There is a reason that Victorians thought that birthday parties were solely the province of women and children, let’s just say that.
 
If you’ve never been chastised or at least obviously subjected to mental excoriation by a family member for not being able to read minds or do the impossible, you just haven’t tried hard enough…or maybe your family is still too small.

Being able to muster affection for unreasonable and ungrateful relatives and to remain unruffled as you offer your regrets that your life doesn’t necessarily revolve around what other people want is a very useful skill to have practiced before that newly-baptised child reaches adolescence, trust me on that one!! 😃
Ahhh so true. I haven’t gotten to adolescence, but I have 4 kids 11 and younger, and I’ve had to explain that little detail as kindly as possible, many times to the same relative. I don’t even remember whose baptism the coffee-incident happened at, except that it wasn’t my 4th (because I SURE didn’t forget about the coffee for the 4th child’s baptism). Actually, from that point on, I just make sure to put my coffee-less critic in charge of making the coffee at all of my parties.
 
People love sports. I get it…

When we go to local family functions, there is always at least 1 TV on playing ‘the game’ You know…the game is always on and always super important. Which is cool I guess…I don’t have to watch it and it isn’t my house.

But, what about when people, in addition to people from a different side of the family come for a party at my house? We don’t have the TV on at all because:
  1. We don’t get to see some of them very often.
  2. We couldn’t care less about sports.
And…there is complaning going on because of it! Gotta watch the game!! GAME GAME GAME.

Is it bad manners to refuse the guests their beloved game? And if so, does that then give me the leeway to turn off the TV when I’m at their house?

Thanks
It’s your house so you make the rules!
 
Would they get a pass if they chose to skip the Baptism as well?
Actually, with someone who is this big of a downer on my parties, I’d probably prefer they missed the whole thing. When people are that rude, I do rethink whether or not they should make the guest list next time around. Sometimes you can’t help it, if they are close enough family. Other times…
 
I never claimed to be morally superior to anyone. There are plenty of sports I enjoy watching, and if it’s a big game, even more so. However, I find it problematic and rude when people can’t take 2 hours away from their sports-watching out of respect for a relative celebrating a birthday, holiday or a once-in-a-liftetime event. Like I pointed out, the biggest issue I have isn’t when it’s a playoff game, Superbowl, etc., but occasions like the time the room full of golf-hating relatives yelled at the kids to keep it down and/or go in the other room because they couldn’t hear what Tyrone van Aswegen’s caddy said about his club selection. As I pointed out, if this were any other activity, the people cutting themselves off from the rest of the group, refusing to sing Happy Birthday to their 5-year-old nephew and yelling at everyone to shut up and stay out of the way so can engage in activity that they’ll freely admit means absolutely nothing to them and which they have access to 24/7 would be viewed as far beyond rude. Instead, since it’s sports, the people who feel these others should be able to sacrifice watching opening ceremonies for the sumo quarter-finals are demonized and considered to be at least as bad, if not far worse than the sports junkies. Would they get a pass if they chose to skip the Baptism as well?
So we have gone from wanting to watch the game to acting like a drunk mean bully. :rolleyes:

No one claimed to want to cut themselves off from everyone else. They simply wanted the game on.

Or at least it started that way in the OP.

If anyone acted like that in my home. Yelling at the children, or anyone for that matter, I would kick them out. If, on the other hand, someone wants to put on the game, I would see if Direct TV carried it. 🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top