L
LisaA
Guest
Look you can’t use “20 20 hindsight” to object to the Iraq War and simultaneously claim that had it not occurred we would still have been rid of Saddam Hussein through lightening bolts or an Arab Spring (which isn’t exactly working out is it?).I just listed for you the information I would need to answer your question. It makes no sense to ask such a question in a vacuum because there are an infinite number of other possibilities (assassination, overthrow or a bolt of lightning from the sky, come to mind) that could have removed Saddam and his ilk from office, without waging an unjustified war.
What the anti Iraq war folks seem to conveniently forget is that Bill Clinton said regime change was necessary and the vast majority, I think all but one or two in Congress voted for the war (before they were against it!). Further we went to war with (flawed) information that Saddam had WMD. This information too was accepted by not only the Democrats but also other world leaders. So why do you and other keep beating this dead horse?
Yes we should learn from the experience and I suggest few of you had as close contact with our service members during the Iraq War as I did. So I got first hand views of what was happening over there and the horrible impact on our young troops. But as Ridgrunner said, would you really unring the bell and put Saddam and his sons back in power? Given what we knew at the time, it was the decision accepted at all levels of government.
But back to the thread. What does any of this have to do with the Great Leap to the conclusion that Romney is some kind of undetected war monger, simply because he believes that this is a dangerous world and we should maintain a strong military. From out here in the cheap seats, I think he’s absolutely right.
Lisa