Romney tells vets dangerous world demands powerful military

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pork_Roll
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes think I was more comfortable with the Soviets than with Putin, who has become the darling of the Right for some reason.
 
I am for a strong military and believe we should be prepared for any eventuality.

And I heard Romney in speeches state that he is patriotic. But I would like to know how he managed to not serve during Vietnam.
Apparently, he had college deferrments and a religious deferrment, when he did his mission in France.
And none of his five sons served during any Iraq war.
I will never understand why people feel that a candidate’s childrens’ choices are germane in determining a candidate’s fitness for office. 🤷
 
Mitt Romney wants to increase military spending by $2 trillion. To fight who? Who is the looming foreign enemy that we need to be prepared to spend $2 trillion more dollars to fight? The phantom Muslim Caliphate? If Romney gets elected and gets his wish, it will be a boon to defense contractors and the homeland security industry, that’s for sure.
An effective force in being means a lot in a dangerous world. It isn’t just a matter of protecting our own borders. There are others that depend on our forces; like all of Europe, South Korea and Japan, for example. Many others depend on the implicit defense guarantees of the U.S., like Australia and the Philippines.
 
I am for a strong military and believe we should be prepared for any eventuality.

And I heard Romney in speeches state that he is patriotic. But I would like to know how he managed to not serve during Vietnam. And none of his five sons served during any Iraq war. So here we have a man who knocks Obama for having no business experience is also a man who will run the military with no military experience.
Well actually the military runs the military. Don’t scare me with the idea that Obama is running the military:eek: Yes the President is Commander in Chief, but that doesn’t mean he’s on his horse leading the charge.

I don’t know how old you are but if you grew up in the Vietnam era, there was a particularly anti-military attitude that lasted for decades. If there is any blessing from the horrors of Iraq and Afghanistan, that attitude has changed and now there are a lot of young people looking to the military if not for a career, for opportunities. We now honor our troops and admire their service. Romney and his sons probably never thought about the military as a career because they had other objectives for their career path.

But hey you may have a point…how about Allen West for VP!
Lisa
 
I sometimes think I was more comfortable with the Soviets than with Putin, who has become the darling of the Right for some reason.
The darling of the right? It wasn’t the “right” that sent Putin the “reset” button, and it sure wasn’t the “right” that promised Medvedev more “cooperation” after the election. As near as I can tell, the “right” thinks of Putin as the former KGB colonel he was.
 
Conservative opinion:

Increase number of fighter jets- HECK YEAH!!👍
School lunches for poor kids- OH NO!! :mad:
 
I sometimes think I was more comfortable with the Soviets than with Putin, who has become the darling of the Right for some reason.
You are flat dead wrong on that! Where on earth did you get that idea?

Lisa
 
Conservative opinion:

Increase number of fighter jets- HECK YEAH!!👍
School lunches for poor kids- OH NO!! :mad:
O geez another Strawman set ablaze…yes we want children to starve and old people pushed off a cliff. You gotta quit reading Left Wing bumperstickers~!
Lisa
 
I really don’t think you understand the “American right”. Most of them I know have a major aversion to “men of authority” like him.
 
I have a couple of Russian friends (God parents of my Daughter).

Love these guys! Great folks! Intellegent, compassionate, everything. . . . Both Ph.D.'s.

But in some ways I don’t get them. They really like Putin and seem to appreciate his “macho” ways and state that OUR media is more biased than theirs! :eek:
 
O geez another Strawman set ablaze…yes we want children to starve and old people pushed off a cliff. You gotta quit reading Left Wing bumperstickers~!
Lisa
Read actual CAF posts. . . that’s all.

It’s all there. 🤷

I didn’t know that the far Right was SO messed up until I started reading CAF.
 
Well actually the military runs the military. Don’t scare me with the idea that Obama is running the military:eek: Yes the President is Commander in Chief, but that doesn’t mean he’s on his horse leading the charge.

I don’t know how old you are but if you grew up in the Vietnam era, there was a particularly anti-military attitude that lasted for decades. If there is any blessing from the horrors of Iraq and Afghanistan, that attitude has changed and now there are a lot of young people looking to the military if not for a career, for opportunities. We now honor our troops and admire their service. Romney and his sons probably never thought about the military as a career because they had other objectives for their career path.

But hey you may have a point…how about Allen West for VP!
Lisa
I am two months younger than Romney. I went to Vietnam. While Romney was roughing it in Paris I was giving first aid to a little girl who lost her family, both legs and an arm. And I was rear echelon.
If we honore the military now then why is their unemployment rate twice the national average?
 
I am two months younger than Romney. I went to Vietnam. While Romney was roughing it in Paris I was giving first aid to a little girl who lost her family, both legs and an arm.
If we honore the military now then why is their unemployment rate twice the national average?
Good point. The Conservatives are all about spending on the active millitary but not so much on programs for vets.
 
I am two months younger than Romney. I went to Vietnam. While Romney was roughing it in Paris I was giving first aid to a little girl who lost her family, both legs and an arm. And I was rear echelon.
If we honore the military now then why is their unemployment rate twice the national average?
Thank you for your service. You are finally being appreciated as I suspect you were not when returning from Vietnam. I suspect you remember the disdain with which the military was treated by the peaceniks. I think you see the complete difference in the attitude today. Does that attitude result in a guarantied job? Sadly it doesnt but I suspect that the unemployment of veterans has a lot more to do with their age (young) and being in the position of needing additional training and skills for a good job. OTOH with 50% of college graduates either unemployed or slinging hash at the local diner with their Women’s Studies degree, I suspect unemployment has little to do with their military service.

BTW were you drafted or did you volunteer? My co-worker did volunteer and did two tours as an Army Medic. My fiance was a combat Marine as well. I have had a lot of interaction with Vietnam Vets.

Lisa
 
Manifestly, the U.S. is not the world’s policeman. Lots of wars go on all the time and we don’t intervene. Same with a lot of rotten dictators.

But protecting allies is something very different from “being the world’s policeman”.

I would agree that Britain has a very good, though small, armed force, and is clearly willing to use it in earnest.
 
Remains to be seen, but it has to be admitted that everything in the U.S. is more expensive than it is in many parts of the world. Part of that has to do with the quality of the personnel and equipment. But part of it has to do with the cost of everything American, and particularly in America itself.
 
Being located between Britain and the U.S., with strong ties to both, no one should be surprised at this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top