School shooter drills terrorize our kids pointlessly

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guinness
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had fire drills and earthquake drills back in my days. We even put a red sticky on the random student designated as injured".

Surly, lockdown drills must be something that can be done without injuring excessive anxiety. That’s literally a goal of any drill.
 
Fire drills, tornado drills, in the generation prior it was bomb drills
 
I prefer the way they do it at my kid’s school. They teach them how to handle guns and have them ready and available in case any pitiful fool comes onto the campus uninvited.
 
Last edited:
Another example of pointlessly terrorizing kids.
Knowing now how close the Cold War came to going hot, I wouldn’t say it was pointless. Just mostly pointless to shelter under a plywood desk.
 
Knowing now how close the Cold War came to going hot, I wouldn’t say it was pointless. Just mostly pointless to shelter under a plywood desk.
Sheltering under a plywood desk during a nuclear attack is completely pointless.
 
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

As a teacher who’s experienced two gun scares on campus, and with colleagues who’ve endured gun violence threats, I can’t agree that the drills are a waste of time. Or terrorize the students. And even if it just gets the kids to get into one part of my room so I can defend them, if necessary, then it’s a good thing.

Sticking our heads into the sand and ignoring this problem won’t help anything.
 
Last edited:
And even if it just gets the kids to get into one part of my room so I can defend them, if necessary, then it’s a good thing.
How would you defend them? I ask because my wife is a teacher and they had training just for the teachers on what to do. They even played out some scenarios with volunteers. It basically came down to have everyone throw something at the shooter if he did get into the room. Your eyes seem to follow any movement and it might gain you a little time. Not sure what good it would do though since she teaches 2nd grade.
They do have one police officer in the smaller city she teaches that his job is to patrol all the schools in the district and they frequently see the officer walking around some of the schools. The city my kids went to school does not have a dedicated police officer like city she teaches in. Both are smaller school districts with High Schools having an enrollment of around 1000.
 
The rooms I teach in are very closed off, with high windows that pretty much won’t let anyone look in, even when wide-open. I’ve blocked the little window on my door so people can’t look in.

If they get through the locked door, they have to push through a barricade (we have a cart for chromebooks that can be tilted over, which pretty much wedges the door shut and inaccessible)
my go-to is a fire extinguisher as a club. If they REALLY wanted to get a clean shot off at my students or me, they’d have to put themselves in a very vulnerable position to do it.

If the alarms go off when we’re out on campus, that’s more a toss-up. Most rooms are designed like the one I described though. Even if we chose to not barricade, to let others in, the angles of most rooms on my campus would allow me to lay in wait with something heavy and bludgeon away before a line of fire could be found.

The portable rooms would be trickier because they’re essentially big boxes. I’ve resigned myself to being a human barricade if that ever happens. I’d rather take a bullet than let one of my students.

Though I’m also a gigantic man, so, bludgeoning people comes easily to me.
 
Last edited:
The rooms I teach in are very closed off, with high windows that pretty much won’t let anyone look in, even when wide-open. I’ve blocked the little window on my door so people can’t look in.
Not the case where she teaches where the windows are normal height and you can see in or out.
If they get through the locked door, they have to push through a barricade (we have a cart for chromebooks that can be tilted over, which pretty much wedges the door shut and inaccessible) my go-to is a fire extinguisher as a club. If they REALLY wanted to get a clean shot off at my students or me, they’d have to put themselves in a very vulnerable position to do it.
The can lock each classroom door and only have a small window on the door.
If the alarms go off when we’re out on campus, that’s more a toss-up. Most rooms are designed like the one I described though. Even if we chose to not barricade, to let others in, the angles of most rooms on my campus would allow me to lay in wait with something heavy and bludgeon away before a line of fire could be found.
The active shooter training staff (mostly police officers) told them if they are outside (playground, etc.) then they should not go back into the building.
The portable rooms would be trickier because they’re essentially big boxes. I’ve resigned myself to being a human barricade if that ever happens. I’d rather take a bullet than let one of my students.
I think quite a few teachers would protect their students any way they could
Though I’m also a gigantic man, so, bludgeoning people comes easily to me.
Not the typical size of most teachers - at least where she teaches.
 
I can see doing the drills for tornado, fire and weather.
There is a probability of the event either at the school or nearby.

What is the real probability of a school shooting?
 
Every time I’m subbing at a new job site, I want to know where the fire extinguisher is, where the AED is, the nearest fire exit, and what inner room I can herd the kiddos into just in case.
 
Every time I’m subbing at a new job site, I want to know where the fire extinguisher is, where the AED is, the nearest fire exit, and what inner room I can herd the kiddos into just in case.
Good idea.
And I always sit in corners so I can keep an eye on everyone…but I am paranoid.

I just don’t think it a good idea to drag the kids through something unless there is a probability of the event.
 
We had optional Active Shooter Training at my college. We also had one offered by my current employer. I think they’re a good idea.
 
I just don’t think it a good idea to drag the kids through something unless there is a probability of the event.
Where my wife teaches it was voluntary training for teachers only. They did not have any training for students.
 
Sticking our heads into the sand and ignoring this problem won’t help anything.
Nobody is advocating ignoring the problem, freaking out a bunch of 1st and 2nd graders is also not helping anything.
Where my wife teaches it was voluntary training for teachers only. They did not have any training for students.
I could even see mandatory training for teachers, but training for kindergartners, 1st graders, and 2nd graders is silly.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top