Sex drive question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jade_Tiger
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It disgusts me that men use the “men have higher sex drives so we have an excuse to act like pigs” argument.
Pretty sure that this is a stereotype that women help perpetuate as well. That said, it’s not a valid excuse whatsoever.
 
Random thoughts…

I don’t know if comparing studies of age and virginity to sex drive difference between genders works. Lots of people don’t have sex because they have a high sex drive, but because of peer pressure, wanting to please significant other, etc. Saying that there are more 25yo male virgins than female doesn’t mean that females have a higher sex drive, and vice versa.

I’m one of those women with an “abnormally” high sex drive. Before I was Catholic, I would masturbate multiple times every single day (oh-my-gosh-I-can’t-believe-I’m-saying-that-on-here-I’m-so-embarrassed!). Even after I was married I would do it. DH didn’t want sex nearly as much as me. It didn’t seem to vary much with my cycle, either. The only thing that has calmed me down is nursing hormones. Yet I managed to hold it together until I was 23 before I had sex. There I was, a girl with a high sex drive, not having sex. It kind of disproves the age-virginity-sex-drive theory.

I think the reason there are more threads on here about guys struggling with masturbation is because there is, like it or not, more stigma attached to female masturbation. Even among secular circles it is only in the last 15 years or so that it has become acceptable. For women, it is a deep, dark secret that is very, very common.

I would say for women not on the pill, and not nursing, that their sex drive is pretty much the same as men’s. I think that it is ridiculous that for men, sex is portrayed as an overwhelming need and that for women it is a duty to which we roll our eyes and submit. It disgusts me that men use the “men have higher sex drives so we have an excuse to act like pigs” argument.

And as for men having fluids that need to go somewhere comment, do you have any idea what it feels like for a woman to be engorged from being turned on and not getting any release? Standing is torture, sitting is torture, and it doesn’t go away for hours, sometimes even the whole day. Think about that the next time you finish and your wife doesn’t.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, mt_gooseberry, for saying all the things that needed to be said. You are so courageous to lay out the facts so boldly. Thank you.
I know that a few honest women stand no chance of being able to change people’s minds when they don’t want to be changed, but standing up for the truth, with boldness and clarity, is even more important when no one wants to hear us.
 
Random thoughts…

I don’t know if comparing studies of age and virginity to sex drive difference between genders works. Lots of people don’t have sex because they have a high sex drive, but because of peer pressure, wanting to please significant other, etc. Saying that there are more 25yo male virgins than female doesn’t mean that females have a higher sex drive, and vice versa.

I’m one of those women with an “abnormally” high sex drive. Before I was Catholic, I would masturbate multiple times every single day (oh-my-gosh-I-can’t-believe-I’m-saying-that-on-here-I’m-so-embarrassed!). Even after I was married I would do it. DH didn’t want sex nearly as much as me. It didn’t seem to vary much with my cycle, either. The only thing that has calmed me down is nursing hormones. Yet I managed to hold it together until I was 23 before I had sex. There I was, a girl with a high sex drive, not having sex. It kind of disproves the age-virginity-sex-drive theory.

I think the reason there are more threads on here about guys struggling with masturbation is because there is, like it or not, more stigma attached to female masturbation. Even among secular circles it is only in the last 15 years or so that it has become acceptable. For women, it is a deep, dark secret that is very, very common.

I would say for women not on the pill, and not nursing, that their sex drive is pretty much the same as men’s. I think that it is ridiculous that for men, sex is portrayed as an overwhelming need and that for women it is a duty to which we roll our eyes and submit. It disgusts me that men use the “men have higher sex drives so we have an excuse to act like pigs” argument.

And as for men having fluids that need to go somewhere comment, do you have any idea what it feels like for a woman to be engorged from being turned on and not getting any release? Standing is torture, sitting is torture, and it doesn’t go away for hours, sometimes even the whole day. Think about that the next time you finish and your wife doesn’t.
Very good post, well said! I think more women are just afraid to talk about these things because of past teaching where women were taught to not talk about or think about sex etc. Lots of women masturbate that’s why there are so many tools and toys made for women. And so true about women feeling the uncomfortable pressure if things aren’t finished for her. Women in the past were taught more strongly about staying a virgin till marriage more so than men, in the past it was more accepted for men to sleep around but women who had many partners was labelled negatively. Also concerning the idea that men are turned on more by visuals I think it has more to do with the fact that men are stimulated more with visuals. You always see pictures of naked women in books or TV etc and just about all movies or TV with nudity has only female nudity to stimulate men, but if there was more male nudity, women would be stimulated by it. Every woman is stimulated when she sees a nude male period. Men should just realize that the vagina is an inverted penis and women feel things just as strongly as men. Think of an outy belly button vs an innie belly button. 😉 A lot of the misunderstanding comes from how society taught women to think of sex and their sexuality.
 
This is what I think, and you’re all entitled to mock me.

Ever since I was interested in this topic (high school and on) my observation has been that women control who has sexual relations (with them) and who doesn’t. When I was young, I didn’t have time to worry about how strong a girl’s sex drive was; I was trying to get a girl to *notice *me and hopefully give me a kiss. I was Catholic all of that time, and I must admit that I wasn’t worried so much about *not *having sex as wondering if sex with me was even a possibility. Could I get a girl? Whether or not they masturbated had not crossed my mind.

Now as a grown man, I know differently. I’m a father, hence, I *did *get a girl and she *did *have sex with me. I actually managed to have sex with two (2) women in my life (one I was engaged to, and the other I married). With both I fell into the err that “Well, we’re going to be married, so…” But my soon-to-be ex wife always claimed that before we were married that ***I ***was the one always trying to initiate, while she was the one trying not to have sex. This brings me back to my original point that women control who gets sex or not, because I am by no means seductive. Every time that she said “Let’s wait till we’re married” I said “Okay.” And then neither of us could find our convictions while we were, let’s just say, “power cuddling.” :cool:

Am I blaming my soon-to-be ex? No! But I believe that she was never able (even now that we’re going through a divorce) to admit to herself that she had/has a powerful sex drive, even after we were married. If she read this post, she’d be mad at me, probably saying “How dare you act like I was initiating!” You see, I know that she initiated, because I’m a putz! I could never “close the deal” (as in getting phone numbers, flirting, etc.) My only success with women has been with those girls whose idea it was to date me. It was *their *idea!

I’m going to stop typing now. I feel like I might have made a point, but I can’t be sure. 😊
 
I should also add that there is plenty of evidence regarding sex drive right on these very forums. Just look at the number of threads regarding people struggling with masturbation. At minimum, there are a few threads each week from men struggling with this issue. The number of women that struggle with this issue? Well, I not saying they don’t exist, I’ve just never seen one posted here. If sex drives between the sexes were equal, the number of posts between the sexes should be equal, or simply in the ballpark…not 99.99% male and 0.01% female.
That isn’t necessarily so VP. With Catholic men I think failures in sexual control (masturbation as opposed to promiscuity) is of more concern psychologically for a number of reasons that women might find strange - e.g. simply “loss of control” or “you can’t attract a woman.”
 
… As far as men go, they typically start feeling the pressure two or three days after ejaculation.
Hmmmn, experience may vary considerably. I believe only a small number of males (and young ones at that) would be in this tragic category :eek:.
 
That isn’t necessarily so VP. With Catholic men I think failures in sexual control (masturbation as opposed to promiscuity) is of more concern psychologically for a number of reasons that women might find strange - e.g. simply “loss of control” or “you can’t attract a woman.”
I just used an example on this forum; it’s not unique to this forum in any way, shape, or form to Catholics.
 
Hmmmn, experience may vary considerably. I believe only a small number of males (and young ones at that) would be in this tragic category :eek:.
It does vary; some more, some less. Obviously teens and those in their early 20s have a much higher drive to hormone levels, so it can be higher for them. It’s lower for those that are older; it’s about every three days for someone like me. It’s not just my opinion either; just search on the internet and see the general pattern.
 
I just used an example on this forum; it’s not unique to this forum in any way, shape, or form to Catholics.
Sorry VP, I don’t really understand your comment?

I agree with your stats (whether Catholic forums or not).
But I am saying there may be multiple reasons for those skewed stats and it may be more than just indicative of a stronger male sex drive pure and simple.
It may be that men are much more concerned about masturbation as a problem or/and they find it easier to discuss (at least anonymously!).

It would be interesting to see if christian forums show a higher incidence of male% than secular one’s (I suspect this is true) but as this is pretty much anecdotal that may be hard to guage.
 
It does vary; some more, some less. Obviously teens and those in their early 20s have a much higher drive to hormone levels, so it can be higher for them. It’s lower for those that are older; it’s about every three days for someone like me. It’s not just my opinion either; just search on the internet and see the general pattern.
VP this is a gross generalisation. That its based on “the Internet” doesn’t really advance your opinion much further. Significant numbers of males do not consciously experience the roughly 3 day “biological pressure” you speak of at all. I do not believe all young males are as helplessly in the thrall of biology as this observation might suggest.

In the absence of solid data I suggest the safer assumption, as in many things human, is that the experience you speak of is on a psycho/biological continuum. That is, biology (which varies tremedously according to genes and age and diet) and psychology (which means upbringing, religion/education, and present stress levels due to environment) both are causative. Most people will be influenced relatively equally by both factors. Significant numbers may lie at either end where one causal factor strongly predominates.

Kinseys studies (1960s?) showed that only 20% of a population has sexual orientation fixed from birth which environmment appears unable to change (10% will always be heterosexual, 10% will always be homosexual). The other 80% have varying degrees of malleability dependent on upbringing/environment before it “solidifies” during teenage years. Some may never “solidify”. I think these findings are still mostly valid.

Studies about 10 years ago appear to show, surprisdingly, that 5% of the population are really “neuters”. They have no sex drive either way. Lucky them (or maybe not so lucky). They often get socialised into the boy-girl marriage thing but don’t really have a clue what the attraction is. Presumably they don’t suffer from the “pressure” you speak of at all - though I haven’t really looked into it.
 
Nature, of course. 🙂
What about nature, specifically?🙂 I tend to think it’s nurture (societal mores), and not nature, which leads to this assumption.🤷
I also base it on several long terms relationships (I’ve been married twice, with two extraordinarily different woman), and discussions with couples that are close to us. Another related issue is that once woman hit the premenopausal stage, their sex drive seems to drop significantly…at least with every couple we’ve met.
Not to disregard your experiences, as I’m sure they are true and therefore valid in shaping your opinion, but I think anecdotal evidence can be employed to argue many different conclusions. I for one know of women whose sex drives have diminished greatly, as have you, so I would certainly agree these cases exist. However I also know of post-menopausal women who experience a newfound anticipation toward their sexuality because they no longer fear a pregnancy. I also know of post-menopausal women who continue to feel sexual desire toward their husbands and become very concerned when their husbands’ physiological changes cause a decrease in their intimate lives. (There’s a reason Viagra is a multi-billion dollar industry)

(Not that I go around asking women about their sex lives - I’m just familiar with quite a few situations because I’m involved in the health care field ;))
Isn’t there an issue here that for Catholic couples in the ‘fertile’ phase of life the wife’s ‘sex drive’ is very much controlled by how she and they as a couple) feels about becoming pregnant. As well as being hormonal and therefore variable through her cycle.

Whereas for the man the physical urge is more constant. But if he follows the Church whether it can be enjoyed is essentially controlled by his wife’s cycle / their fertility.

So men endlessly complain of frustration or struggle against sin and women can often only express their sex drive if they are happy to fall pregnant.
I’m not sure I understand the last sentence - there has been a dramatic increase in female promiscuity over the past 50 decades precisely because contraception has allowed women to separate sex from procreation.
I’m one of those women with an “abnormally” high sex drive. Before I was Catholic, I would masturbate multiple times every single day (oh-my-gosh-I-can’t-believe-I’m-saying-that-on-here-I’m-so-embarrassed!). I think the reason there are more threads on here about guys struggling with masturbation is because there is, like it or not, more stigma attached to female masturbation. Even among secular circles it is only in the last 15 years or so that it has become acceptable. For women, it is a deep, dark secret that is very, very common.
Oh-my-gosh-I-can’t-believe-you-just-said-that!!!:eek: 😉

(Not attempting to make light of the Church’s teaching on masturbation, but just to underscore your point - women face these same struggles, and the reason we don’t read about it is because of the perceived shame/embarassment many of them feel. Even in today’s permissive society, any company that advertises female sex toys will strongly emphasize “anonymous shipping” and “discreet packaging”.)

Women as well as men can benefit from healthy Catholic teaching and advice pertaining to sexual desire, but it is a teaching that needs to address the real and fundamental struggles they face, not only how it relates to their future husbands and procreation.
That, and the puritanical attitude that good girls don’t enjoy sex.

And as for men having fluids that need to go somewhere comment, do you have any idea what it feels like for a woman to be engorged from being turned on and not getting any release? Standing is torture, sitting is torture, and it doesn’t go away for hours, sometimes even the whole day. Think about that the next time you finish and your wife doesn’t.
Indeed. Despite the fact that we have very few historical texts written from a female sexual perspective, there’s a reason only eunuchs were employed in harems, and phallic sex toys have been mentioned in the earliest of writings. It was during Victorian times (when “ladies” were not supposed to enjoy sex) that the vibrator was invented as a way to relieve the workload of physicians who had to cure case after case of female “hysteria”. “Hysteria” referring to the extreme moodiness, anxiety, and ill-temperament that drove women to seek out medical assistance. As the treatment of choice was “hysterical paroxysm”, which was indeed an orgasm (though it was conducted in a very clinical and non-sexual way), it’s now understood that the cause of hysteria was sexual deprivation. I think it’s sad that instead of encouraging healthy intimate relations between husbands and wives, female desire was seen as a problem that needed to be cured or controlled, while it was perfectly acceptable for any man of means to secure a mistress.

Interesting. . . . so much focus on controlling and influencing a woman’s sexual appetite when (according to popular consensus) it’s supposedly of such low and inconsequential levels to begin with.:hmmm:
 
What about nature, specifically?🙂 I tend to think it’s nurture (societal mores), and not nature, which leads to this assumption.🤷

Not to disregard your experiences, as I’m sure they are true and therefore valid in shaping your opinion, but I think anecdotal evidence can be employed to argue many different conclusions. I for one know of women whose sex drives have diminished greatly, as have you, so I would certainly agree these cases exist. However I also know of post-menopausal women who experience a newfound anticipation toward their sexuality because they no longer fear a pregnancy. I also know of post-menopausal women who continue to feel sexual desire toward their husbands and become very concerned when their husbands’ physiological changes cause a decrease in their intimate lives. (There’s a reason Viagra is a multi-billion dollar industry)

(Not that I go around asking women about their sex lives - I’m just familiar with quite a few situations because I’m involved in the health care field ;))

I’m not sure I understand the last sentence - there has been a dramatic increase in female promiscuity over the past 50 decades precisely because contraception has allowed women to separate sex from procreation.

Oh-my-gosh-I-can’t-believe-you-just-said-that!!!:eek: 😉

(Not attempting to make light of the Church’s teaching on masturbation, but just to underscore your point - women face these same struggles, and the reason we don’t read about it is because of the perceived shame/embarassment many of them feel. Even in today’s permissive society, any company that advertises female sex toys will strongly emphasize “anonymous shipping” and “discreet packaging”.)

Women as well as men can benefit from healthy Catholic teaching and advice pertaining to sexual desire, but it is a teaching that needs to address the real and fundamental struggles they face, not only how it relates to their future husbands and procreation.

Indeed. Despite the fact that we have very few historical texts written from a female sexual perspective, there’s a reason only eunuchs were employed in harems, and phallic sex toys have been mentioned in the earliest of writings. It was during Victorian times (when “ladies” were not supposed to enjoy sex) that the vibrator was invented as a way to relieve the workload of physicians who had to cure case after case of female “hysteria”. “Hysteria” referring to the extreme moodiness, anxiety, and ill-temperament that drove women to seek out medical assistance. As the treatment of choice was “hysterical paroxysm”, which was indeed an orgasm (though it was conducted in a very clinical and non-sexual way), it’s now understood that the cause of hysteria was sexual deprivation. I think it’s sad that instead of encouraging healthy intimate relations between husbands and wives, female desire was seen as a problem that needed to be cured or controlled, while it was perfectly acceptable for any man of means to secure a mistress.

Interesting. . . . so much focus on controlling and influencing a woman’s sexual appetite when (according to popular consensus) it’s supposedly of such low and inconsequential levels to begin with.:hmmm:
Good post all good points made. 👍 I do know plenty of women over 50 who didn’t lose anything as far as sex drive is concerned I know it by how a lot of them talk when no men are around. 😃 I was just having a womanly talk with my 62yr old neighbor and ummm she didn’t lose any of her drive. Look at how many women remarry or get into relationships after 50. Why would they bother at that age if their sex drive had diminished. While it does happen for some women I don’t think it happens for most women. And true there are plenty of men who need viagra after 50 but is it all men no, just like it’s not all women.

And that was also sad but true about the Victorian women and the things they went through because of having no sexual release. I also remember reading that they did that for some women who had chronic back aches and how for some the treatment/cure was clinical orgasms. That’s another good point about why has society in the past worked so hard to stifle women’s sexuality if it was supposed so low. This thread is interesting because these are the things lots of women are too embarrassed to talk about or discuss. But it’s good to discuss these things so people can learn.
 
What about nature, specifically?🙂 I tend to think it’s nurture (societal mores), and not nature, which leads to this assumption.🤷
Just view it from it’s most primitive level. If the female of the species has no sex drive, it doesn’t matter; the species survives. If the male has no sex drive, and thus can’t perform, the species dies out. That’s nature, and it’s by design.
 
VP this is a gross generalisation. That its based on “the Internet” doesn’t really advance your opinion much further.
The internet is simply a resource that includes opinions and links to actual research. When the results from all sources point to the same conclusion, it is likely to be the correct conclusion.
Significant numbers of males do not consciously experience the roughly 3 day “biological pressure” you speak of at all. I do not believe all young males are as helplessly in the thrall of biology as this observation might suggest.
We obviously hang around with very different people. 🙂
In the absence of solid data I suggest the safer assumption, as in many things human, is that the experience you speak of is on a psycho/biological continuum. That is, biology (which varies tremedously according to genes and age and diet) and psychology (which means upbringing, religion/education, and present stress levels due to environment) both are causative. Most people will be influenced relatively equally by both factors. Significant numbers may lie at either end where one causal factor strongly predominates.
I disagree. Biology predominates. Just try not eating for a week. It’s certainly not going to cause you harm, and you can train yourself to do it, but you’ll be vigorously fighting the natural tendency to eat the whole time.
 
Just view it from it’s most primitive level. If the female of the species has no sex drive, it doesn’t matter; the species survives. If the male has no sex drive, and thus can’t perform, the species dies out. That’s nature, and it’s by design.
I think I understand the point you’re trying to make ValPal, but isn’t performance determined by arousal, rather than drive?

When you say “primitive level”, it makes me think of animals - is that what you’re referring to? Because interestingly, it is only when female animals are in heat that the males will attempt to copulate (generally speaking), or in other words if the females aren’t sending out the signals the males are more interested in eating, sleeping and guarding territory than in reproduction. The human sex drive is obviously different, but I’m not sure that it evolved in a way that made the male/female differences move along polar lines. It just doesn’t make sense to me, for if it were true all constraints and suppressions should have been forced upon the “higher” sex-driven gender, no? 🤷
This thread is interesting because these are the things lots of women are too embarrassed to talk about or discuss. But it’s good to discuss these things so people can learn.
I agree, Skye_Ariel. And while I appreciate the compliments, I think you have to thank Jade Tiger - she’s the one who started a thread I would have been to “embarassed” to create.🙂
 
The internet is simply a resource that includes opinions and links to actual research. When the results from all sources point to the same conclusion, it is likely to be the correct conclusion.
OK, provide the links to actual research instead of generalising please.
We obviously hang around with very different people. 🙂
Which is exactly the point I am making, you are generalising an all encompassing global rule from your own limited experience. My experience is limited as well, however I obviously only need to have experienced even one example to the contrary to show that your “all young males have a roughly 3 day cycle” view is no more than an unproven generalisation that really requires good research.
Biology predominates. Just try not eating for a week. It’s certainly not going to cause you harm, and you can train yourself to do it, but you’ll be vigorously fighting the natural tendency to eat the whole time.
I cannot believe you find this a respectable argument for your case :eek:.
 
I think I understand the point you’re trying to make ValPal, but isn’t performance determined by arousal, rather than drive?
I think were getting into semantics here that are confusing the issue. If there is no sex drive, why would their be arousal?
When you say “primitive level”, it makes me think of animals - is that what you’re referring to? Because interestingly, it is only when female animals are in heat that the males will attempt to copulate (generally speaking), or in other words if the females aren’t sending out the signals the males are more interested in eating, sleeping and guarding territory than in reproduction. The human sex drive is obviously different, but I’m not sure that it evolved in a way that made the male/female differences move along polar lines. It just doesn’t make sense to me, for if it were true all constraints and suppressions should have been forced upon the “higher” sex-driven gender, no? 🤷
This is true in most animals, though some higher species of mammals also have sex for recreational purposes.
 
OK, provide the links to actual research instead of generalising please.
I expect people to live by their own standard. Start citing scientific studies that conclude women have higher sex drive.

So far you’ve cited one study, which in fact proves the effects of nature and nuture are not equal.
Which is exactly the point I am making, you are generalising an all encompassing global rule from your own limited experience. My experience is limited as well, however I obviously only need to have experienced even one example to the contrary to show that your “all young males have a roughly 3 day cycle” view is no more than an unproven generalisation that really requires good research.
It’s not limited by my “own limited experience.” Read up on seminal vesicles and note how long they take to fill up. Woman have no such equivalent.
I cannot believe you find this a respectable argument for your case :eek:.
I’ve noted you can’t disprove my point. Interestingly enough though, after doing further research, I’ve noted that others used that very same analogy 🙂
 
Wow, all the replies! I’m so glad to hear that I’m not alone.
So, since the majority of us agree that there is more to female desire and chastity than is commonly believed, does anyone know of any good Catholic/Christian resources that deal with this?
And to those gentlemen who are arguing that male desire is indeed stronger: Unfortunately, we do not have any Tiresias who can settle the debate once and for all: it must surely be enough to note that many women do experience similar struggles with lust and/or easy visual stimulation, and that it would be excellent if some of the wise and Christian experts on chastity would consider this and formulate some much-needed advice.
 
I expect people to live by their own standard. Start citing scientific studies that conclude women have higher sex drive.

So far you’ve cited one study, which in fact proves the effects of nature and nuture are not equal.

It’s not limited by my “own limited experience.” Read up on seminal vesicles and note how long they take to fill up. Woman have no such equivalent.

I’ve noted you can’t disprove my point. Interestingly enough though, after doing further research, I’ve noted that others used that very same analogy 🙂
So in the end your strong universalised view of your own limited experience is backed up by…nothing solid you are prepared to source and obectively debate. 🤷

To make my case I see no need to prove anything more other than to observe that my own equally valid (and equally limited) experience/understanding differs considerably from yours.

This is because I am not the one trying to universalise my limited experience. This issue is far more complicated than your pure biology thesis allows for.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top