Should Deacons wear the Roman Collar?

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

system

There has been discussion on whether or not priest show where the Roman Collar in public. What do you think about Deacons wearing it?

:whistle:

Blessing and Peace

I think all clergy should, and deacons are ordained and receive the sacrament of holy order…

When they wear their collar they are by their mere precense evangelizing…

Have you not seen the change in a room when a priest or nun walk in…everyone is in their best behaviour just because of them wearing a habit or collar…:bowdown:

By all means! It’s great advertising for one, and an excellent reminder that “church stuff” isn’t just something that goes on inside a church…it’s out there with us in everyday life.

I’m only in my early formation years for the Diaconate, however I honestly think that there needs to be a clear separation between Bishops/Priests and the Diaconate in order to not confuse the laity.

While it’s sort of clear in canon law that it can’t be denied a Deacon if he wishes, I’m not sure that it would add anything additional to the office of Deacon.

That’s my .02 (adjusted for gas price inflation)

In Christ,
Tom

40.png
DigitalDeacon:
There has been discussion on whether or not priest show where the Roman Collar in public. What do you think about Deacons wearing it?

:whistle:

Blessing and Peace
Although many denominations may utilize similar vocabulary in expressing their faith, many of us have seen times that words actually do not express the same idea, theology, or discipline. I would offer that the same is true with Deacons in the Catholic Church. Deacons in our Church are ordained clerics who are allowed to preach as well as perform other liturgical functions. The wearing of the collar would help identify what Roman Catholics Deacons are.

I agree they should but here in our diocese they are required to have an alternate source of income (day job) and probably can’t wear one regularly.
I always thought it would be awkward to go up to someone wearing a collar and ask if he would hear my confession only to find out he’s a deacon.

i would not be against the collar as long as it was a different color or shape or something to denote that he is a decon NOT a priest.
i know that in convents the novices where a different habit than a nun who has taken final vows…

yeah, make it purple or green… but something so you can tell the difference between a priest and deacon… 👍

Deacons spend a great deal of time and labor in their formation. Their wives are called upon to sacrifice with them. Unlike the regular clergy, their work is mostly unpaid, even as they struggle at their regular jobs to provide for their families. These are the unsung super heroes of the Church. I am still waiting for one of them to be made a Cardinal.

They should wear the collar any time it suits them.

The reason I voted no is that too many people having no idea what a deacon is take him for a priest with the clerical collar.

I checked out round about the year 2000 if there are rules.It is seriously wrong for men to tote clerical dress of any sort if they are not ordained, but I have read and had the experience of impostures.You cannot in Britain wear clothes recalling members of the Armed Forces or Police Officers and Clergy.

Just to perhaps reinforce my case further, For as long as two days during a retreat a senior sister believed I was actually a priest-no collar for me, but I had foolishly worn a cross pin like a continental cleric.No harm done I suppose, but look at how easy it is.

No in my understanding you put God’s uniform on when you are completely trained and no half measures.
The history of the collar by the way is very interesting subject.But we must read of that elsewhere.

Coda-there is something else.I remember being shown pictures of someone doing something he should not have been in clerical circles.He was giving the impression by dress alone that he was a bishop yet I was informed that he was nothing of the sort.
There is a Latin Tag “Cuculus non fecit monachum” (I’m not a Latinist but I hope you recognise it.

40.png
Carl:
Deacons spend a great deal of time and labor in their formation. Their wives are called upon to sacrifice with them. Unlike the regular clergy, their work is mostly unpaid, even as they struggle at their regular jobs to provide for their families. These are the unsung super heroes of the Church. I am still waiting for one of them to be made a Cardinal.

They should wear the collar any time it suits them.
Interesting.

Actually, it is POSSIBLE (not happening in modern times) for a deacon OR a priest to be a Cardinal. It’s not a modern practice, but it has happened quite a bit in the past - for a number of years in the past some of the papal household who were titled as deacons and archdeacons were cardinal deacons and archdeacons - of the order of deacons… but on to the subject at hand…

The Rip Van Winkle-like sleep that the Order of Deacons has endured over hundreds of years has produced some unfortunate side effects. One of which is the notion, expressed by one of those who has responded to this thread, that collars confuse people between priests and deacons. The implication is that ONLY priests are real clerics and should wear clerical garb. That, of course, is not the case. The collar is CLERICAL garb, NOT just PRIESTLY garb. Lack of education or ignorance on that subject does not diminish the truth of that situation. Perpetuating the ingnorance and lack of education by falsely institutionalizing the erroneous perception does not really deal with it - it only contributes to the “least common denominator” factor within religion, and “dumbs down” a populace that has already reached a saturation point of being “dumbed down.”

Now, thankfully, the Order of Deacons is being recognized as what was historically instituted to be - not merely a stepping stone to the presbyterate, or a group of men who were “not quite priests”, or who were “playing priest” (many problems in the diaconate today have to do with priests and others feeling undue jealousy or other feelings worrying about the deacons being “mini-priests”). The Order of Deacons has been part fo the three-fold grouping of Major Orders for a long, long time. Note the classification of Major and Minor Orders. It doesn’t say deacons are minor orders. That’s for a reason - they’re not to be taken or treated as such. Their office and function is different from a priest or bishop, but they are nonetheless and no less clerics in Major Orders.

If you look AT THE COLLAR, it is the same for all ranks of clergy (Major Orders), including Bishops. The shirt may be a different color, or there may be a small colored tab under the collar for street wear, but the collar is essentially the same. It is a type of garb designated for clerics, and, as those who have received the sacrament of Holy Orders and have been ordained as clergy, it is appropriate for deacons.

That being said, their Ordinary has ultimate say in how that is exercised, for the deacon, more than any other cleric, is historically “the Bishop’s man.” I PERSONALLY agree that the deacon should be able to wear the collar any time it suits and enhances his purpose as a deacon. It is NOT usurpation. It is not illicit. Many bishops prescribe situations in which the collar may be worn by deacons. Some (Sadly, IMHO) forbid it completely. Of course, an obedient deacon will wear it - or not - as prescribed by his Bishop, whether or not he agrees with his Bishop’s instructions. Part of his (the deacon’s) ministry is obedience to his Bishop.

A deacon, as a fully ordained, “real” cleric may at times have the exercise of his office enhanced by wearing the collar. But it must also be remembered that a deacon normally (of course there are exceptions) works at a “regular” secular job, and serves in his diaconal role in sort of a “bridge” environment - where he’s clergty, but “works for a living” like everybody else - and often is able to perform several aspects of his ministry more effectively WITHOUT the collar. As Paul said, being all things to all people can be an effective way to exercise ministry.

Yet I have seen many times when a deacon’s ability to do a particular job in ministry is enhanced by the collar.

Bottom line - the deacon should have the option, and either wear or not wear the collar as it makes his ministry most effective at the particular time and in the particular situation at hand.

40.png
Servant1:
Interesting.

Actually, it is POSSIBLE (not happening in modern times) for a deacon OR a priest to be a Cardinal. It’s not a modern practice, but it has happened quite a bit in the past - for a number of years in the past some of the papal household who were titled as deacons and archdeacons were cardinal deacons and archdeacons - of the order of deacons… but on to the subject at hand…
Just an aside…

Cardinal Avery Dulles was Fr. Avery Dulles before he was made a cardinal by Pope JPII. But according to modern custom, he was also ordained a bishop soon afterwards.

Is it wrong to introduce a Deacon as ‘Father’ to someone. If so, How would a Deacon be properly introduced?

Just curious.
I do know one Deacon, and see him on average 2 times a week. Sadly though, we always have about 2 minutes to talk, so this is a question I havent got to yet.

Thanks!
Pax

Deacon or Mister or Reverand Mister would be appropriate. SWo would a first name, if you are that familiar.

In our archdiocese (Atlanta) deacons cut an inverted V notch in the bottom middle of their collar. So nice to be able to tell the difference!

Also, I would introduce a deacon as Deacon John Smith. When addressing an envelope, Rev. Mr. John Smith.

Hope this helps!

AMDG

Debbie

40.png
Quietfire:
Is it wrong to introduce a Deacon as ‘Father’ to someone. If so, How would a Deacon be properly introduced?

Just curious.

🙂 In the Eastern Rite Deacons are addressed as Father ______.

For a Deacon in the Latin Rite it is Rev. Mr. ________.

40.png
Quietfire:
I guess, maybe if you said Father of (names of children). 😃

On the subject itself, I have enough trouble being confused with a priest just because I tend to wear grey most of the time (The only decent pants I can find). (And I’m not even an EMHC, much less a Deacon.

John

It is actually possible for ANYONE who is a Catholic in good standing with the Church to be made Pope, (well, any man that is). That means that even a married lay person could become the successor to Peter if he is selected by the College of Cardinals. There is only a slightly better chance of that happening than the earth going out of orbit and crashing into the sun tomorrow, but it is possible.

But, in regards to the Thread, I do believe that Deacons, as ordained ministers, should wear some type of collar to identify themselves as ordained clergy, because they are. 👍

During diaconal ministry, I would prefer deacons to wear a Roman collar. This brings two benefits:

1. *]The witness value of clerical garb on those encountered (including those NOT directly affected through the particular ministerial task)
    *]It provides an assurance and distinction to those ministered to (be they infirm, family of the deceased, those imprisoned, etc.) that this ministry is performed officially by the Church through the representative of the Bishop.

Deacons are configured to the servant Christ in sacred ordination. This should be highlighted and underscored when the deacon engages in “formal” ministry.

This does NOT mean that a deacon is not a deacon 100% of the time, but rather, highlights his particular calling to servant-ministry.

In the love of Christ,

Chris

PS: It was correctly noted above that a deacon cannot be forbidden to wear a clerical collar, as he IS a cleric. Canon law provides for this. But deacons promise obedience to their bishops and would naturally always follow the direction of said ordinary.

PPS: Pray for me, in five short months, God willing, I will be ordained a deacon.

I am an ordained deacon, active in my parish, family life and volunteer as a prison chaplain in three to four Texas prisons. I just came off of death row as full time chaplain. Per our Diocese of galveston-Houston Texas we are required to wear the roman collar while providing prison ministry. it is left up to us to wear the deacon collar in a parish setting.

I too would like to see a different formulation of collar or design for deacons. I am constantly called Fr. by the inmates or the parsihioners. Rather than stopping to explain in detail i say, No I serve God as a Deacon in the community.

When you do this for a while it really doesn’t cause a problem, but you address it properly whenever there is time otherwise it is ignored.

Peace love and Blessings
Deacon Pops

40.png
Apologia100:
It is actually possible for ANYONE who is a Catholic in good standing with the Church to be made Pope, (well, any man that is). That means that even a married lay person could become the successor to Peter if he is selected by the College of Cardinals. There is only a slightly better chance of that happening than the earth going out of orbit and crashing into the sun tomorrow, but it is possible.

But, in regards to the Thread, I do believe that Deacons, as ordained ministers, should wear some type of collar to identify themselves as ordained clergy, because they are. 👍
Actually, by definition, the Pope is the Archbishop of Rome. To be the archbishop of Rome requires one to be an ordained single male.

It has been suggested that even if the next pope were to come from say the Byzantine-Ruthenian Catholic Church, said person would have to switch to the lLatin Rite for he would have to be the Archbishop of Rome.

Since all Eastern Catholic and Orthodox bishops must be single and celibate, there would be no problem in that area…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back