Should Deacons wear the Roman Collar?

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
space ghost:
yeah, make it purple or green… but something so you can tell the difference between a priest and deacon… 👍
I once visited Atlanta and a deacon I met was wearing the Roman collar. He pointed out the difference in his collar was that a vee of material had been snipped from the collar making it different than a priest’s collar.

PS: It was correctly noted above that a deacon cannot be forbidden to wear a clerical collar, as he IS a cleric. Canon law provides for this. But deacons promise obedience to their bishops and would naturally always follow the direction of said ordinary.

PPS: Pray for me, in five short months, God willing, I will be ordained a deacon.

Diconia,

I will pray for you. Peace Brother.

The reason I posted this poll is because in the Archdiocese of New Orleans we are not allowed to wear the collar.

DigitalDeacon
Deacon Don Bourgeois

Mia Storm:
I once visited Atlanta and a deacon I met was wearing the Roman collar. He pointed out the difference in his collar was that a vee of material had been snipped from the collar making it different than a priest’s collar.
I have heard of this before as well…

Does anyone know if this is common or has history in the Church?
This makes sense that the deacon would have a similar collar that would be easy to distiguish from the roman collar.

By Canon Law Deacons, like all clerics, are expected to wear distinctive religious clothing. Only a Deacon is given an exemption if they want to exercise it. This option makes perfect sense, just imagine a deacon mechanic wearing his collar when he services a car?

As for arguements that suggest it may be difficult to distinguish a deacon from a priest appears at first logical but ultimately just highlights the insecurity of those who present the arguement. (ie. over bearing lay volunteers, diocese/parish employee’s and yes some priests) Think about it, seminarians are expected to wear the roman collar. They are not priests or deacons or even vowed to celibacy yet. They are merely motivated piligrims who believe they have been called to be priests. The double standard is manifest.

The only minor issue is that some might confuse a deacon as a priest for absolution. This would take about 5 seconds to explain to the parishoner that he is a deacon and that for confession they need to see the pastor.

The arguements of deacons not wanting to appear different than the laity are as weak as those from the priests and nuns who claim the same thing. Deacons are different from the laity they are clerics who have received holy orders.

Why would you wish to hide your vocation under a bushel? The church expects all her witnesses to be visible to their vocation in their approprate religious garb. It is simply disobedience and poor formation to hide the clerical nature of a deacon.

God Bless

Northern Brother states several points in fine fashion. Deacons should NOT hide their light under a basket.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it is very often the case that a deacon chooses not to wear a clerical collar, but rather, that of the bishop requesting that he not do so. (He cannot forbid it technically, but one who promises obedience doesn’t take it lightly)

If I may say one thing regarding the cutting of a “vee” shaped notch into the exposed portion of the collar, I think that practice is quite silly.

A Roman collar is proper attire of a cleric. Deacons, priest and bishops are clerics.

Deacons are not impersonating priests by wearing a clerical collar. They are properly wearing clerical garb, period.

Just because some people might mistake a deacon for a priest is not a good reason for defacing a clerical collar. It’s just pandering to an over-exaggerated fear of confusing deacons and priests.

In the service of Him who walked among us as servant of all,
Chris

PS: The witness value of deacons wearing clerical collars might appropriately embarass some lax priests into wearing their own Roman collars with a bit more frequency methinks!

I agree diaconia about fidelity to the bishop.

We are lucky in our diocese that our archbishop allows the collar. However most deacons only wear it while on ministry outside of the parish. Perphaps the humble nature of the type of men who become deacons mean they are very sensitive to the sting of self adornment charges.

Obedience and respect is always predicated on lawful requests that are within the purview of the bishop. In areas within the purvue of the universal church the local ordinary usually has power, if any, to adapt to his diocese but not diminish or hinder canonical rights. Regardless, what a wonderful cross to bear if you abadon the limit of your rights to honour your bishops wishes.

God Bless

Yes, deacons should wear the Roman collar, at least when they are performing duties related to their being a deacon. Many deacons have “day jobs”, of course, and it wouldn’t make sense to wear it then.

I haven’t seen people mention it yet, but many seminaries require their seminarians, who aren’t necessarily deacons yet, to wear the cassock and collar. This is perhaps not as common as it once was, but the good seminaries still require it.

I have met seminarians who were required to wear it constantly. They even had cassocks they used when they were performing manual labor.

A cassock and collar does not imply priesthood!

Jason

P.S. Those awful clerical shirts with the Anglican-style collar ought to be banned.

space ghost:
i would not be against the collar as long as it was a different color or shape or something to denote that he is a decon NOT a priest.
i know that in convents the novices where a different habit than a nun who has taken final vows…

yeah, make it purple or green… but something so you can tell the difference between a priest and deacon… 👍
I agree. I think the wearing of something is a good witness, yet something should distinguish who is a Priest and who is not. I know an Augustinian brother who wears a roman collar and I was visiting a nursing home with him and everyone was calling him “Father”. Also, a friend of mine was a seminarian (he’s ordained now), and he was always getting called “Father” as well. He stopped correcting people because it was so frequent.

So, sure, wear something, but make it distinguishable.

What I’ve see a lot of (at least here in Detroit) is deacons wearing a gray shirt and pants with the Roman collar, while priests wear black.

40.png
Crusader:
Actually, by definition, the Pope is the Archbishop of Rome. To be the archbishop of Rome requires one to be an ordained single male.

It has been suggested that even if the next pope were to come from say the Byzantine-Ruthenian Catholic Church, said person would have to switch to the lLatin Rite for he would have to be the Archbishop of Rome.

Since all Eastern Catholic and Orthodox bishops must be single and celibate, there would be no problem in that area…
This is off topic but . . . “be an ordained single male” is a matter of dicipline not of dogma or doctrine or even Tradition.

I just take exception to the “requires …to be the bishop of Rome” part as it indicates something intrisic to the office rather than a disipline necessary for the right functioning of the office.

40.png
Brendan:
What I’ve see a lot of (at least here in Detroit) is deacons wearing a gray shirt and pants with the Roman collar, while priests wear black.
Hi Brendan -

Actually most deacons wear black, however they should only be wearing it to perform diaconate duties. My husband was ordained last October. He does wear a pin with the diaconal stole on his clerical shirt. If someone addresses him mistakenly as “Father,” he gently says, "I’m Deacon… "

I think your deacon may wear gray, but that may be at the request of Fr. K. Personally, I don’t like the different colors of shirts on any Catholic clergy. It adds to the “protestant” look.

The reason we were given in formation for the possible request not to wear a cleric at all, or maybe a different color, is because of the possibility of misinterpretation. Apparently, a deacon was seen in a shopping mall wearing his collar and holding his wife’s hand. That could look bad. When I am with my husband and he is wearing his collar, there are no public displays of affection. Discretion in behavior is the key.

One of the things that our secular culture needs today is something that will remind people that they are citizens of two worlds. I think the Roman Collar does just that. It gives Deacons a opportunity to talk to people about the faith.

The Roman Collar is a powerfil witness!

Ahab

Deacons are ordained so they may wear the Roman Collar. I think they should wear it when doing diaconal duties but should take care not to be confused with a priest (ex. wear a black shirt and jacket with it). If people ask or should confuse him as a priest, hey, what a great time for a simple catechesis and/or evangilization!! It is probably not practical for them to wear it when not doing deaconal duties since many hold secular jobs and such.

I suggest a prayer to St. Stephen and to today’s saint, Deacon and Doctor of the Church, St. Ephrem. Pray for our clergy, most especially Deacons and those being called to the Diaconate.

i guess practically deacons could wear non-collared clerics. black suit, no collar. though i see no reason why they couldnt wear the full collar, they are ordained.

As stated in previous post, by Canon Law Deacons have the right to wear the collar as an ordained cleric. By wearing the collar a deacon is not imprersonating a priest, but exercising his right. But many bishops deny the wearing of the collar by deacons for many reasons. Our bishop in the Diocese of Galveston-Houston does not allow deacons to wear the collar except in certain ministries.

I am in full-time ministry as a Chaplain in the juvenile probation system in our diocese and am allowed to wear the collar while performing my duties as a chaplain. I wear a large nametag that has the deacon cross on it and in large letters it says DEACON and I am still called father at times, but it gives me the opportunity to explain what a deacon is.

It still amazes me that after 30plus years there are many people both non-Catholic and Catholic that did not realize that the Catholic church has permanent deacons let alone transitional deacons.

In my personal opinion, I think canon law is quite clear and deacons should be allowed to wear the collar when performing diaconal duties, but I am very loyal to my bishop and will do whatever he ask as my shepard.

Deacon Dan:
As stated in previous post, by Canon Law Deacons have the right to wear the collar as an ordained cleric. By wearing the collar a deacon is not imprersonating a priest, but exercising his right. But many bishops deny the wearing of the collar by deacons for many reasons. Our bishop in the Diocese of Galveston-Houston does not allow deacons to wear the collar except in certain ministries.

I am in full-time ministry as a Chaplain in the juvenile probation system in our diocese and am allowed to wear the collar while performing my duties as a chaplain. I wear a large nametag that has the deacon cross on it and in large letters it says DEACON and I am still called father at times, but it gives me the opportunity to explain what a deacon is.

It still amazes me that after 30plus years there are many people both non-Catholic and Catholic that did not realize that the Catholic church has permanent deacons let alone transitional deacons.

In my personal opinion, I think canon law is quite clear and deacons should be allowed to wear the collar when performing diaconal duties, but I am very loyal to my bishop and will do whatever he ask as my shepard.
👍
Deacon Dan -

I’m with ya 400%! After all the cogent explanations here and elsewhere, I simply fail to see how people see “confusion” of deacons with priests as a problem in any way other than that they odn’t understand themselves. The collar is CLERICAL garb, period. It is NOT priestly OR diaconal OR episcopal garb. It is CLERICAL garb. If one does not know the person wearing clerical garb, it is a very simple, unoffensive process to simply ASK. How is that problematic? :confused:

People keep mentioning being confused, confused, confused. Do they believe there is some obligation of the different orders of clergy in regard to false advertising? There’s no such thing. If a deacon wears a stole the way a priest does, that’s a problem with impersonating a priest. If a deacon wears a miter, that’s a problem with impersonating a bishop. If a deacon wears a clerical collar, it’s simply doinh what the canons say to so in wearing distinctive clothing. People need to get over this, as if the essense was tied up in such externals. Sheesh.

A deacon is an ordained member of the Catholic Church and as such needs to be differentiated from the non-ordained…whether he chooses to be is another issue.

In addition clerics, as with habits as well, are at one time both a visible witness to and an evangelization for the faith.

The concern over “confusion” is needless. Religious brothers, who have the courage to wear their habits, are often confused as being a priest even though they are not. No harm done to the office of priest and in truth a great teaching moment.

Your unworthy brother in Christ and by the Grace of God a future priest,

Donnchadh

40.png
DigitalDeacon:
40.png
Quietfire:
Is it wrong to introduce a Deacon as ‘Father’ to someone. If so, How would a Deacon be properly introduced?

Just curious.

🙂 In the Eastern Rite Deacons are addressed as Father ______.
For a Deacon in the Latin Rite it is Rev. Mr. ________.
Actually, I know in Orthodoxy, and I believe in the Eastern Rite, a deacon is addressed as Father Deacon (Name), while a priest is Father (Name).

Correct me if I’m wrong… Here’s what I understand about the color scheme in the Church…

-The Pope pretty much wears white. (sorry, no HTML code for white on black 😉 )

-Cardinals wear Red (naturally!)

-Bishops wear Purple

-Priests wear Black.

Wouldn’t it make sense for a deacon to, say, wear Blue or Grey some other color? (I’ve even seen clerical shirts that were denim!) I take it that the blue, gray, burgundy, and off-white shirts that are in some Christian stores are used by Protestants exclusively?

At one time I was considering entering the ministry in a reformed church, but I was the weird guy who wanted to wear a collar to distinguish me. I think it is a good idea and I see more Protestants are taking it up. (Though with no distinction between pastor/priest/bishop/elder/deacon/etc.)

40.png
Servant1:
People keep mentioning being confused, confused, confused. Do they believe there is some obligation of the different orders of clergy in regard to false advertising? There’s no such thing. If a deacon wears a stole the way a priest does, that’s a problem with impersonating a priest. If a deacon wears a miter, that’s a problem with impersonating a bishop. If a deacon wears a clerical collar, it’s simply doinh what the canons say to so in wearing distinctive clothing. People need to get over this, as if the essense was tied up in such externals. Sheesh.
Code:
                               *JMJ*
Yes, you have a good point, but I live in a diocese where it is common practice for lay people to give homilies, there are rampant liturgical abuses, and we had half a parish break off into a schism by “ordaining” a woman priest. I’m pretty concerned with the issue of “confusion.” There are many people I come in contact with, many good people, friends, that are confused because they haven’t been taught right, their catechesis isn’t solid, and the clergy doesn’t help by their actions. I was just recommending deacons not being confused with priests by dressing exactly like a typical Roman Catholic Priest (black shirt ect). I understand that the collar is for any ordained person. I just would like things to be clear and unambiguous since Deacons and Priests have separte duties and ministries. When there is already much confusion out there why cause more confusion that’s not needed. As I said, it would also be a great time to clear up questions if someone confuses him as a priest. I understand that with good catechesis there really is no problem of confusion here, but we need to work on reform in the catechesis area.

Christ is “the true light that enlightens every man…” (John 1:9) and we should all pray that these issues are clearified by that true light. Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of thy faithful…

God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back