Should Deacons wear the Roman Collar?

• Thread starter Thread starter system
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mea maxima culpa!
I voted “no” on the question of deacons wearing the Roman Collar before reading the collective wisdom of the forum contributors. My big problem with the idea was the confusion of deacons with priests, and the awkward situations which would be unavoidable. Since it is clear that deacons are fully ordained,
(and since too many priests are too timid for whatever reason to wear the Collar), I say “Go for it!” The forum partipant who pointed out the colors already assigned to cardinals, bishops, and priests does make a good argument for a color assigned to deacons as well, but then you run into the problem of them being mistaken for Protestant clergy. I for one would like to see more Roman (Catholic) Collars around.
Rick Bohler <*><

I cannot agree that confusion is any reason not to wear clerical garb. Confusion is the result of inaccurate and inadequate catechesis, or, as I said in another post tonight, an unwillingness to be catechized. If the clerics of a diocese should wear clerical garb, then so be it. It is up to us as ministers of the church, for that is what all of us are, to assist others in their understanding.

I know that this does not address the question of whether deacons should wear clerical garb, but that is more due to my own, internal, questions about the matter.

If Deacons should be referred to as Rev Mr, what would the title be if the deacon had an MD or PhD? Rev Dr? Might this lead to even more confusion over whether the individual was a priest or deacon? Just wondering…

40.png
TableServant:
I cannot agree that confusion is any reason not to wear clerical garb. Confusion is the result of inaccurate and inadequate catechesis, or, as I said in another post tonight, an unwillingness to be catechized. If the clerics of a diocese should wear clerical garb, then so be it. It is up to us as ministers of the church, for that is what all of us are, to assist others in their understanding.

I know that this does not address the question of whether deacons should wear clerical garb, but that is more due to my own, internal, questions about the matter.
Table Servant - My friend - YOU have hit the nail on the HEAD!

What individual bishops tell their deacons to wear or not wear is, of course, an issue for deacons. They still are bound to obedience even if their bishop is one that doesn’t allow the collar to be worn at all and even if the bishop is mistaken is his reasoning. The bishop still gets to make that call.

As many others have pointed out, wearing of clerical garb is canonical. The collar is clerical garb, not priestly garb. No matter the color of the shirt, the briefs or boxers, the jacket, or the cassock. The collar - which is basicallly round and white - is kosher.

The CONFUSION of others is a NONISSUE for the deacon! It is not the deacon’s fault if people are uneducated, misguided, incorrectly cetechised, or inattentive to what they have been told over and over again. It simply is NOT THE DEACON’S PROBLEM! 👍 It is the problem of those who do the miseducating, the misguiding, the ignoring, or whatever it is that causes the confusion. The deacons do not cause the confusion. The collars do not cause the confusion - they are inanimate objects. The information is out there! The confusion emanates from those who don’t educate, miseducate, OR from those who read the answers in this forum and still decide not to be educated and to remain confused.

What’s the old saying about bringing a horse to water?.. :confused:

Dr Paul:
If Deacons should be referred to as Rev Mr, what would the title be if the deacon had an MD or PhD? Rev Dr? Might this lead to even more confusion over whether the individual was a priest or deacon? Just wondering…
My husband is a chiropractor, and at church he’s simply “Deacon.” To most patients, he’s “Doc.” As far as the Archdiocese goes, he is Reverend Mr. He does sign his correspondence “Reverend Mr. John Doe, DC.” He is going for his STL, and his professors address him as “Deacon Dr. Doe.” It can be fun keeping up with this!

Priests should wear the CASSOCK in public. Therefore, it should be no problem for a deacon to wear his collar. There would be no confusion if priests just wore what they are supposed to. God bless.

Gaude Maria Virgo, cunctas heresis sola intermisti,

Matthew

Well, they USED to wear collars in the old days; at least priests did. I think since priests are set apart from the laity that it should show in their functions/dress. There is a hierarchy in the Church.

I agree with the sentiments of some earlier poster. I really think that we need to come up with some new form of clerical dress specific to deacons. I don’t have any idea what such dress would look like, but I think that it would clear up much confusion and allow both priests and deacons to publicly witness by their mode of dress. In earlier times certain religious orders had habits that distinguished between priests and laybrothers using color (St. Martin de Porres, a Dominican laybrother is always shown wearing a black scapular and capuce, nowadays all Dominicans wear the entirely white habit of the clerics). Perhaps we could look at something like that.

Though most permanent deacons don’t, all transistional deacons wear collars. they just say, "no i’m a deacon. " if called ‘Father’. it’s really no problem. i don’t see why permanent deacons couldn’t wear them.

Dan.

40.png
SeminarianDan:
Though most permanent deacons don’t, all transistional deacons wear collars. they just say, "no i’m a deacon. " if called ‘Father’. it’s really no problem. i don’t see why permanent deacons couldn’t wear them.

Dan.
Most permanent deacons have regular jobs/careers. It’s inappropriate for them to wear their collar to work. However when doing work for the Church…

40.png
FenianMan:
I agree with the sentiments of some earlier poster. I really think that we need to come up with some new form of clerical dress specific to deacons. I don’t have any idea what such dress would look like, but I think that it would clear up much confusion and allow both priests and deacons to publicly witness by their mode of dress. In earlier times certain religious orders had habits that distinguished between priests and laybrothers using color (St. Martin de Porres, a Dominican laybrother is always shown wearing a black scapular and capuce, nowadays all Dominicans wear the entirely white habit of the clerics). Perhaps we could look at something like that.

:confused:

WHY is there a WORRY about confusion??? WHO is hurt by someone seeing a man with a collar, says, “Hi, Father.” The deacon says, “I’m a deacon. Can I help you?” WHERE is the problem in that??? :eek:

What is this great NEED to have deacons dress differently than they ever have ever since who knows when? It’s never been a problem before. What makes it a REAL problem now?

There aren’t enough badges and different types of Roman clerical clothes. Is this not being anal retentive?

The only people that seem to have a problem are the confused, and since this thread has gone on and on and on and on, and folks have read the explanations, where is the confusion? Are people judt DETERMINED to remain confused? Why can’t a simple exposition of the facts be sufficient.

A person who does not know that deacons are clerics just like priests and bishops are sees one in a collar. Says to his friend, “I don’t know that priest. Is he new?” The friend says, “THat’s Deacon Joe Smith. He’s not a priest. He must be engaged in some of his duties as a deacon. Deacons are fully ordained clerics, and can wear collars to designate that when they’re about diaconal duties.”

The uneducated person has just become educated. He can now tell anyone else he sees who has the same misperception.

HOW is this a problem? WHAT does it hurt? What is wrong with simply communicating the facts? That way, confusion is at an end.

space ghost:
i would not be against the collar as long as it was a different color or shape or something to denote that he is a decon NOT a priest.
i know that in convents the novices where a different habit than a nun who has taken final vows…

yeah, make it purple or green… but something so you can tell the difference between a priest and deacon… 👍
I agree. I think the collar for a Deacon should be a different color. I have also seen ministers of other faiths wearing roman collars (not Episcopalian). I too have worried about improperly addressing a Deacon as Father.

40.png
BillFL:
I agree. I think the collar for a Deacon should be a different color. I have also seen ministers of other faiths wearing roman collars (not Episcopalian). I too have worried about improperly addressing a Deacon as Father.
Please explain the "worry"about “improperly” addressing a deacon as “Father.” What will happen bad - to you or the deacon? Or some absent priest? Whill God or the priesthood or the deacon be dishonored because you see a collar, think it may be on a priest and it’s really on a deacon? Will lighting jump out of the tabernacle and zap you into purgatory as a cinder? Just what is the fear? Who or what will be hurt?

What kind of deacon would be insulted by having to tell you, “Sorry, I’m a deacon. Can I help you? Or would you like me to help you contact the priest?”

What sort of priest would be insulted by hearing that conversation?

Just what is there to be scared of? What canon does it violate? What doctrine? What dogma?

BTW - as from another similar thread - there is no patent or trademark on round white collars. Clergy of many denominations wear them. And, there is no one style that is limited to the Catholic Church, or the Lutheran, or the Episcopal, or the Orthodox, or…

Seminarians commonly , but not usually, wear roman collars. The collars do not indicate ordination as much as obedience. to a bishop.

Please explain the "worry"about “improperly” addressing a deacon as “Father.” What will happen bad - to you or the deacon? Or some absent priest?
My thoughts exactly!!

I fail to see any reason for embarassment on anyone’s part.

One other thing of note, Eastern Catholic deacons are addressed as “Father Deacon”

As a Deacon, I wear a collar ONLY when acting in my prison ministry, and not for any other. The collar promotes respect among the guards, who know to honor a “uniform”. To what value? I guess my search (pat-down) is more gentle and respectful. As for the inmates, no collar needed as trust is earned.
I cannot say, however that I would or should wear a collar in any other circumstance.
Thanks for reading my ramblings
Bill

When the deacons I know wear their collars I can see the people take notice. I assume it is a good thing. But I am sure some disagree.

Here are my :twocents:

I have thought about this for quite awhile and believe these are the circumstances when I would wear a collar. 1) if I am on ministry visitations and 2) if I am in situations were the lay people would normally call me deacon.

By taking the cue from lay people expectations it provides the reality check on humility. I can’t see a collar as being out of place in any context where the people have come to appreciate and expect your presence as a deacon.

God Bless

Its a toss up, while they arn’t priests they have taken many of the same vows and are bound by many of the same rules. Does the collar remind them of that and hold them to it? That is really what its all about.

Tyler Smedley:
Its a toss up, while they arn’t priests they have taken many of the same vows and are bound by many of the same rules. Does the collar remind them of that and hold them to it? That is really what its all about.
Though those may be benefits of the clerical dress, I don’t know that I would say that ‘that is what it is all about’ I would expect and hope that clerical garb is both an internal (for the cleric) and, perhaps more so an external (for the people that he meets and ministers to in whatever fashion), reminder of the presence of Christ in our midst.

Just my 1/2 :twocents:.

Yes, the deacon in my parish wears his collar, even to social functions, and the cassock as well. I’m a Byzantine Catholic. We have always had permanent deacons. so what if someone calls him “Father”? It gives him an opportunity to talk to someone about his faith. Seminarians wear collars in the seminary, but a black suit and tie on the street. Some still wear cassocks on the seminary grounds.

the various colors, white, red and purple apply to the color of cassocks not to the rabats. Most Catholic bishops wear the same collar as a priest, but the pector cross in inserted in the vest pocket.

Yes, according to Canon law, any male, baptized Catholic above the age of reason can be elected Pope. Later, he would be ordained, deacon, priest, bishop. (No need to be made cardinal). There were several married Popes in the past. The last lay cardinal died about 100 years. ago. It was the custom to give the Cardinals hat to the Master of the Sacred Palace (title of the Pope’s personal preacher and theologian, and usually a Dominican). But now the new rules state that the man must be ordained a bishop as well. St. Charles Borromeo was made a cardinal at the age of 22. It helps to have an uncle a Pope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back