Slain in the spirit

• Thread starter Thread starter John_of_Woking
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
misericordie:
I once attended a “catholic” charismatic gathering and this woman !!! Began running backwards!! while yelling: “The spirit is hear.” I thought i was at a wiccan gathering.:eek:
😃 Which Spirit? 😃 :eek:

John of Woking said:
😃 Which Spirit? 😃 :eek:

Maybe Misericordie vision wasnt clear,its possible that women had her head turned 360 degrees as she was going out the door.? 😃 .That would justify her reaction. :eek:

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
Well, Misericordie,if thats true and you have been to a WICCA gathering you need to PM again so that I can pray over you for deliverance. :eek: Your EXORCIST at your service. :eek:
Code:
I only allow an ordained Priest(a faithful pious one at that) to actually "pray and bless me or pray over me, you know I am CATHOLIC.
As per the Gathering, well, it was at a catholic Church here in new York City.  The parish charismatic priest was there too, in alb and stole.

40.png
gnome:
Hi MakerTeacher,
you have read the whole book, the full Malines’ Documents, or your conclusion is based on another review?

Also, in the actual Malines Document no.6, is it “liturgy” or “Liturgy”? You automatically assume it means the Mass Liturgy. According to dictionary:

1 often capitalized : a eucharistic rite
2 : a rite or body of rites prescribed for public worship
3 : a customary repertoire of ideas, phrases, or observances

Can you show me that these 3 statements are not from Cardinal Suenens? Or that they apply to only during the Mass Liturgy?
  • We would always discourage circumstances in which the phenomenon would occur.
  • We would not invite ministers whose prayer or teaching is associated with this phenomenon.
  • The Cardinal also quotes the German theologian, Professor Heribert Muhlen, " In accordance with the principle of the discernment of spirits, I believe that the phenomenon per se is of a psychological and therapeutic nature, and is out of place in a religious service."
Hi Gnome

I posted a reply to this and it apparently got eaten by my hugnry computer and never made it to the boards.

No I do not have a copy of the documents and cannot at this time afford to buy them. Do you have them? Have you read them? Can you forward me a copy of you do have them? Be aware also, as I stated, that the documents were approved by Cardinal Suenens but written by a monk, not by the Bishop. I do have the very excellent book “Called to Holiness: reflections on the Catholic Charismatic Renewal”, written by Bishop Josef Cordes, who has basically taken Suenen’s place in the Vatican as the overseer of the movement. There is nothing in it about being slain in the spirit. BTW it is an excellent book and I recommend it for anyone seeking to understand the formal, approved lay apostolate rather than the fringe elements of the movement. It’s available from Liturgical Press, collegeville, MN, and costs only $5.

I cannot recall from the one time that I did see the Malines Docments and read excerpts whether or not the word “liturgy” was capitalized. I am not sure I see the difference that would make. I don’t consider a prayer meeting to be a liturgy. I do consider a Mass or a formal church service to be a liturgy. How about you?

I am not familiar with the German theologian you reference, nor can I prove or disprove you questions about the experience of being slain in the spirit being something to avoid. On this topic, I have only my own personal experiences and what I have seen and read on the matter.

I’ll repeat: it’s very very rare in our group (maybe twice a year or less?) , and never ever occurs during our Masses or formal liturgies. Instead it almost always occurs during healing prayer times at a prayer meeting or a small group meetings. Invariably the person who rested in the Spirit will later report a renewed hunger for the Sacraments and the Scriptures. Good fruit, at least.

40.png
misericordie:
I only allow an ordained Priest(a faithful pious one at that) to actually "pray and bless me or pray over me, you know I am CATHOLIC.
As per the Gathering, well, it was at a catholic Church here in new York City. The parish charismatic priest was there too, in alb and stole.
Oh ,I see,my prayers have no value in your eyes,but praise be to God I know that it isnt true.If God used a donkey,He certainly can use me. HE HAW 😃 He has appointed all christians into the royal priesthood and not just reserved for rcc priests. I am His hands,feet ,eyes,ears,and mouth. Its time you start to believe that you are also. :confused: Next time think about what you say,so that you will not look silly. :eek: God Bless.

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
Oh ,I see,my prayers have no value in your eyes,but praise be to God I know that it isnt true.If God used a donkey,He certainly can use me. HE HAW 😃 He has appointed all christians into the royal priesthood and not just reserved for rcc priests. I am His hands,feet ,eyes,ears,and mouth. Its time you start to believe that you are also. :confused: Next time think about what you say,so that you will not look silly. :eek: God Bless.
Actually it is more silly for you to imply that you are EQUAL in prayer power to a validly ordained PRIEST! A PRIEST as the new Catechism says is: In persona Christi, altus Christi(In the person of Christ, another Christ). This is the problem many charismatic “catholics” tend to have: they don’t beleieve by thier actions at times in the POWER of the PRIESTHOOD (the ORDAINED priesthood) kind of like Calvin and Luther? Well, in the meantime, I will continue being CATHOLIC and see the PRIEST IN PERSONA CHRISTI. Ummmmmm silly, WHO NOW??😉

40.png
misericordie:
Actually it is more silly for you to imply that you are EQUAL in prayer power to a validly ordained PRIEST! A PRIEST as the new Catechism says is: In persona Christi, altus Christi(In the person of Christ, another Christ). This is the problem many charismatic “catholics” tend to have: they don’t beleieve by thier actions at times in the POWER of the PRIESTHOOD (the ORDAINED priesthood) kind of like Calvin and Luther? Well, in the meantime, I will continue being CATHOLIC and see the PRIEST IN PERSONA CHRISTI. Ummmmmm silly, WHO NOW??😉
How silly of me?. 😃 That I should misunderstand what the Word of God says in 1 Peter ch 2 vs 5 Quote;You to are living stones built as an edifice of spirit, into a ROYAL PRIESTHOOD,offering spiritual sacrafices to God through Jesus Christ. We as christians are a royal priesthood with Jesus Christ as our High Priest.Jesus said that greater things we will do in His name. Im sorry you feel that this power of prayer is not for you.I recieve it and will proclaim it in Jesus name. 😉 God Bless.

40.png
Makerteacher:
Hi Gnome
No I do not have a copy of the documents and cannot at this time afford to buy them. Do you have them? Have you read them? Can you forward me a copy of you do have them? Be aware also, as I stated, that the documents were approved by Cardinal Suenens but written by a monk, not by the Bishop. I do have the very excellent book “Called to Holiness: reflections on the Catholic Charismatic Renewal”, written by Bishop Josef Cordes, who has basically taken Suenen’s place in the Vatican as the overseer of the movement. There is nothing in it about being slain in the spirit. BTW it is an excellent book and I recommend it for anyone seeking to understand the formal, approved lay apostolate rather than the fringe elements of the movement. It’s available from Liturgical Press, collegeville, MN, and costs only $5.

I cannot recall from the one time that I did see the Malines Docments and read excerpts whether or not the word “liturgy” was capitalized. I am not sure I see the difference that would make. I don’t consider a prayer meeting to be a liturgy. I do consider a Mass or a formal church service to be a liturgy. How about you?

I am not familiar with the German theologian you reference, nor can I prove or disprove you questions about the experience of being slain in the spirit being something to avoid. On this topic, I have only my own personal experiences and what I have seen and read on the matter.

I’ll repeat: it’s very very rare in our group (maybe twice a year or less?) , and never ever occurs during our Masses or formal liturgies. Instead it almost always occurs during healing prayer times at a prayer meeting or a small group meetings. Invariably the person who rested in the Spirit will later report a renewed hunger for the Sacraments and the Scriptures. Good fruit, at least.
MakerTeacher,
as I said before, I don’t have the documents or read the whole thing, but I trust Fr.Bain’s judgment since he’s been there done that. Thanks for letting me know about Bishop Josef Cordes’ book.

The reason I asked about “liturgy”… when Cardinal Suenens quotes Prof.Muhlen “…is out of place in a religious service.”, it sounds to me not just the Mass but also Eucharist Adoration, Rosary, or any public prayer/worship.

Your group is certainly more informed than the groups I attended. btw, I think the effect of a renew hunger for the Sacraments does not prove “rested in the spirit” is the cause, just as Fr.Bain stated that the healings continue even when this phenomenon is prevented from occuring.

40.png
gnome:
MakerTeacher,
as I said before, I don’t have the documents or read the whole thing, but I trust Fr.Bain’s judgment since he’s been there done that. Thanks for letting me know about Bishop Josef Cordes’ book.

The reason I asked about “liturgy”… when Cardinal Suenens quotes Prof.Muhlen “…is out of place in a religious service.”, it sounds to me not just the Mass but also Eucharist Adoration, Rosary, or any public prayer/worship.

Your group is certainly more informed than the groups I attended. btw, I think the effect of a renew hunger for the Sacraments does not prove “rested in the spirit” is the cause, just as Fr.Bain stated that the healings continue even when this phenomenon is prevented from occuring.
One time I went to a “catholic” charismatic Mass, and during Gloria of the Mass: People literally:eek: Started Dancing: smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_116.gif smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_122.gif smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_101.gif smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_117.gif
The true resting in the spirit is:quite prayer, following the Commandments, and avoiding sin.

40.png
gnome:

“it sounds to me not just the Mass but also Eucharist Adoration, Rosary, or any public prayer/worship.”

The liturgy is the public worship of the Church
from the Catholic encyclopedia
So in Christian use liturgy meant the public official service of the Church, that corresponded to the official service of the Temple in the Old Law. We must now distinguish two senses in which the word was and is still commonly used. These two senses often lead to confusion. On the one hand, liturgy often means the whole complex of official services, all the rites, ceremonies, prayers, and sacraments of the Church, as opposed to private devotions. In this sense we speak of the arrangement of all these services in certain set forms (including the canonical hours, administration of sacraments, etc.), used officially by any local church, Compline (liturgy of the hours) is a liturgical service, the Rosary is not.
from Vatican instructions on prayers for healing
Art. 7 – § 1. Without prejudice to what is established above in art. 3 or to the celebrations for the sick provided in the Church’s liturgical books, prayers for healing – whether liturgical or non-liturgical – must not be introduced into the celebration of the Holy Mass, the sacraments, or the Liturgy of the Hours.
A public recitation of the Rosary, is still a private devotion, and in that sense, is not covered by these instructions. Praying in Tongues may be appropriate at Eucharistic adoration, if people were praying out loud, but this is not usually the situation. If a group of like minded people were adoring, it would be very appropriate. I don’t think there is any problem with the rosary being prayed at a healing service (where a prayer tongue is usually very prevelant), however I do agree that if a rosary group were praying the rosary, while it may not be actually wrong to pray in tongues, it would certainly not be appropriate to disrupt the prayer of the group.
I think the effect of a renew hunger for the Sacraments does not prove “rested in the spirit” is the cause,
Did I miss something? I don’t believe anyone said “resting” is the cause of healing. It does sometimes occur, and as you said can definitely be resisted, but definitely does not cause the healing nor does “not resting” prevent the healing.

40.png
misericordie:
One time I went to a “catholic” charismatic Mass, and during Gloria of the Mass: People literally:eek: Started Dancing: smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_116.gif smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_122.gif smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_101.gif smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_1_117.gif
The true resting in the spirit is:quite prayer, following the Commandments, and avoiding sin.
If your little gifs are praising God–this is a good thing, but we are not discussing dancing. (I love the little moon-walker—where do you get them?)

When people “rest in the Spirit” at a healing service, they are very quiet. The most common effect is peace. They are at peace even if there is no physical healing.
[
Luke 11:13
If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy
Spirit](LUKE 11:13 NIV; - If you then, though you are evil, know - Bible Gateway)

40.png
Mysty101:
If your little gifs are praising God–this is a good thing, but we are not discussing dancing. (I love the little moon-walker—where do you get them?)

When people “rest in the Spirit” at a healing service, they are very quiet. The most common effect is peace. They are at peace even if there is no physical healing.
Yes, well.
Anyway, the little moonwalker, just in case your interested is in “smiley central”.

I don’t believe the Pope has, or would ever, approve of innovations of any sort during the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

That simply is NOT what the Pope is looking for from the CCR.

Originally Posted by gnome
Here’s a quote from the Holy Father’s message to the Charismatic communities:

“Love for the Church and submission to her Magisterium,in a process of maturing in theChurch supported by a solid permanent formation are relevant signs of your intention to avoid the risk of favouring, unwittingly, a purely emotional experience of the divine, an excessive pursuit of the “extraordinary” and a private withdrawal that may shrink from apostolic outreach.” ****************************************************************************
an excessive pursuit of the “extraordinary” and a private withdrawal that may shrink from apostolic outreach." <<<
Maria

Let me tell you a true story.

I had known Francisco for several years and knew that he attended the group of 15 to 20 in our Church who called themselves Charismatics. He invited me and I attended once. I saw no one fall, babble in “a language” or convulse. An old Nun was the leader, and she told several spiritual stories. It seemed conventional.

Later Francisco told me he was setting up the chairs for a meeting of students in a two-story house next door to the church that had been given to the Church upon the death of the Dr. who owned the house. The Dr’s wife had died of emphysema and used to go up stairs to the porch to breath. That night Francisco was startled by the sound of footsteps going up the stairs. He heard steps on the pourch too. Later he found out about the Dr’s wife. Then several months later a group heard the footsteps going up the stairs.

Francisco told me that his dead mother would sometimes come and sit in a chair in the little house they both lived in. He was in his late forties. We went to a football game together. The game was very close, we were ahead. The opponent was on our 20 yard line with 2 minutes left. He started praying with his hands covering his face. I saw tears streaming down his face. He slumped down and was silent. I let him stay there. There was a fumble and we got the ball. We won. He didn’t know we won. I told him about it. He said he was somewhere else. Thats it.

In my humble opinion, I think some people are atune with the spirit world more than others. “Frank” was one of those. He started going to the jails and ministering to prisoners later.

Exporter, thanks for posting this story.

I have known of and also read from various faithful Catholic sites and magazines etc., many similar stories, more than likely all of them being true.

Many were about Canonized saints.

What they all had in common was a deep sense of their own sinfulness and unworthiness and also a very deep and profound humility.

In times like we live in now there always seems to be a worldwide outpouring of the Holy Spirit and those very rare people who have this true humility of heart and soul are highly graced by the Holy Spirit.

Many times they immediately receive a call from the Holy Spirit to a specific ‘Will of God’ that they freely and lovingly carry out for the good of the entire Church with the aid of the Holy Spirit.

I believe a lack of humility and the loss of the sense of personal sin and unworthiness, is the main reason the Pope’s call to holiness goes virtually unheard by many, many Catholics.

Maria

1 Maria:
I don’t believe the Pope has, or would ever, approve of innovations of any sort during the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

That simply is NOT what the Pope is looking for from the CCR.

Originally Posted by gnome
Here’s a quote from the Holy Father’s message to the Charismatic communities:

“Love for the Church and submission to her Magisterium,in a process of maturing in theChurch supported by a solid permanent formation are relevant signs of your intention to avoid the risk of favouring, unwittingly, a purely emotional experience of the divine, an excessive pursuit of the “extraordinary” and a private withdrawal that may shrink from apostolic outreach.” ****************************************************************************
an excessive pursuit of the “extraordinary” and a private withdrawal that may shrink from apostolic outreach." <<<
Maria
I agree with you here 100% smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_130.gif smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_135.gif

Hello, I just joined up with Catholic Answers Forums in hopes of finding some answers to my experience with resting in the Spirit this weekend.

First of all, I believe wholeheartedly in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, but I believe that they are just that-GIFTS, and not everyone experiences things like resting, the gift of tongues, etc.

I have never EVER thought I was someone who would experience something like this, but I have to say that I truly, for the first time in my life really understood what the word “power” means in the context of God’s love.

I attended a retreat this weekend… and to make a long story short, a group of people from a parish in another state asked if they could pray over me because they had known I was having a hard time over the weekend with submitting myself to God and his wishes for me.

As soon as they put their hands up to pray over me, I felt an immense warmth and a “force” around me. It was obviously the Holy Spirit, but “force” is the best way I can describe the feeling. I felt myself swooning backward so I tried to pull myself forward and it was very difficult. A few seconds later it happened again, and the best way I can describe it is that my body melted and the man behind me carefully laid me on the floor. It wasn’t like I was pushed down or pulled down, no one had their hands on me… it was just like I didn’t have any control over my body. It was warm and peaceful and I was completely aware of what was going on around me. However, after a few moments my body started to tighten up and get rigid, then relax again. I did this a few times.

After it was over (I was at in front of the Blessed Sacrament by the way), I just went and knelt in front of Jesus with an empty mind and calm body. It was like I was just sitting there with Jesus by my side, just sitting there in silence together enjoying each others company.

I was really peaceful and happy for a good while, but then I started to doubt and get nervous about my “convulsions.” Later that night I talked to one of the men that had been praying over me and asked him to explain what happened. He actually knew a lot about resting in the Spirit, but he told me he had never witnessed anyone tightening up like that before. He said he couldn’t explain it but said that maybe it was because I wasn’t submitting myself fully because I was kind of unsure about what was going on.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows (I’m looking for hard facts, not opinions) what the tightening of my body could have been about. Also, I am really interested in this subject and I would like to know if anyone knows of any really great books on the subject that I could read. I know I will never be able to answer the “why,” because it is part of the mystery of God, but I would like to find out a few more things about it so I can better understand this gift.

Thanks!

We were told to take a hiatus from CCR right now—all the threads are closed. You may do a search, and check out some of the discussions. If you ask some questions, perhaps we may be allowed to answer you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back