Spanish Bishop Angers Homosexuals by Mentioning Church Doctrine

• Thread starter Thread starter SILVERNAME
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SILVERNAME

By Matthew Cullinan Hoffman

SPAIN, January 29, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Bishop Rafael Palmero of the Spanish diocese of Orihuela-Alicante has become the second bishop in recent weeks to enrage homosexual groups by reiterating the Catholic Church’s perennial teachings on homosexuality.

“Biology says that normally it’s an illness. What happens is that in some case there might be a concrete situation that has another explanation and such, but normally no one wants to be a homosexual,” said Palermo to the Valencian daily Levante.

The bishop added that “same sex marriage” was unnatural and wrong. “One is born in a family of a man and a woman. In the human order this is required. One consults a dictionary to determine what a marriage is and it says that it is a stable and lasting union between a man and a woman.”

lifesite.net/ldn/2008/jan/08012902.html

I’m unaware of the Church teaching that homosexuality is a biological illness.

I’m unaware of the Church teaching that homosexuality is a biological illness.
It is a moral disorder. Since the Church has nothing to say of authority in the field of biology, there is no statement possible as to the biology of the matter.

It is a moral disorder. Since the Church has nothing to say of authority in the field of biology, there is no statement possible as to the biology of the matter.
Only to some people. It is not a “disorder” to most people, it is just part of who they are.

Only to some people. It is not a “disorder” to most people, it is just part of who they are.
Very true. However, since I am prone to sin in ways that I do not recognize, I am disordered in ways I am unaware of. This is the tragedy of our fallen state.

some people are born more susceptible to alcohol poisoning. Just because you are born a certain way, doesn’t mean that it isn’t unnatural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmDownWisWins

You do realize where you are, don’t you. Would it be a shocking surprise to you that most here don’t care what “most people” think about things having to do with faith and morals?

What is your point in saying what you said?

You do realize where you are, don’t you. Would it be a shocking surprise to you that most here don’t care what “most people” think about things having to do with faith and morals?

What is your point in saying what you said?
Looking down on others based on this personal characteristic or that one is not a good thing do do. The Church is of the world, and interacts with the world. People with same-gender sexual preferences are just the same as you and I. They are perfectly normal people struggling to go through life like the rest of us.

The use of the term “disorder” puts up a refracted lens to present an image that they are lesser than the rest of us and not normal people. This principle holds true in CAF and outside CAF.

Looking down on others based on this personal characteristic or that one is not a good thing do do.
I’m not “looking down on” any person. Acting on SSA by SSSex-acts is what I’m “looking down on”.
The Church is of the world, and interacts with the world.
The Church is IN the world, but is not OF the world. I’m not sure what religion you’re coming from, but you might bone up a bit on some basic theology.
People with same-gender sexual preferences are just the same as you and I. They are perfectly normal people struggling to go through life like the rest of us.
Amen!
The use of the term “disorder” puts up a refracted lens to present an image that they are lesser than the rest of us and not normal people. This principle holds true in CAF and outside CAF.
Their SSA becomes a disorder when it is unchastely acted upon.

They are to be helped to be chaste. But the disorder of unchastity caused by giving in to SSA is most definately a disorder.

The fact that homosexuality is disordered and homosexual acts sinful is a teaching of the Church. There is no shame in proclaiming the truth, and certainly we don’t need to look down on anyone to do it.

They are to be helped to be chaste. But the disorder of unchastity caused by giving in to SSA is most definately a disorder.
Well, Europe is ahead of the US with this. They offer legal unions so their mutual love can be chastely acted upon, in a lifelong, monogamous relationship. They commit the rest of their lives to each other, so any pretense of “disorder” in a uncommitted relationship goes out the window.

Well, Europe is ahead of the US with this. They offer legal unions so their mutual love can be chastely acted upon, in a lifelong, monogamous relationship. They commit the rest of their lives to each other, so any pretense of “disorder” in a uncommitted relationship goes out the window.
And these ‘legal unions’ are not recognized by the catholic church.

Why?

Because, contrary to your belief, it’s not a marriage.

But you go ahead and lead people away with false teachings of the catholic church. See where that leads you.:eek:

Legality doesn’t make something unchaste chaste. Being committed to sinning with someone doesn’t make that sin ok. Chastity is what God says it is, not what we want to rationalize it as. We put our faith in His love and wisdom, not our own wisdom–that’s what saving faith is all about.

As for saying someone has a disorder meaing they are a lesser person, that’s patently untrue. Many people have various psychological, behavioural, and physical disorders and for all except this one we are fine to call it a disorder and we see it as an act of love to help the person deal properly with the disorder.

Legality doesn’t make something unchaste chaste. Being committed to sinning with someone doesn’t make that sin ok. Chastity is what God says it is, not what we want to rationalize it as. We put our faith in His love and wisdom, not our own wisdom–that’s what saving faith is all about.
As for saying someone has a disorder meaing they are a lesser person, that’s patently untrue. Many people have various psychological, behavioural, and physical disorders and for all except this one we are fine to call it a disorder and we see it as an act of love to help the person deal properly with the disorder.
Spot on IMO…all goes back to love the sinner hate the sin!👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmDownWisWins

Well, Europe is ahead of the US with this. They offer legal unions so their mutual love can be chastely acted upon, in a lifelong, monogamous relationship.
Uh, you may want to look up the meaning of “chaste” as it pertains to Catholic thinking.
They commit the rest of their lives to each other, so any pretense of “disorder” in a uncommitted relationship goes out the window.
What do you think “disorder” means other than counter to God’s commands for us?

My only opposition to what the Bishop said is that he states it’s a biological illness…there’s no evidence of that and it’s not in the realm of Church authority to make such statements. Homosexual acts are disordered…no arguement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back