Spanking may be linked to later mental disorders

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gift_from_God
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gift_from_God

Guest
cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/29/spanking-mental-health-drug-abuse.html
Adults who were subjected to physical punishment such as spanking as children are more likely to experience mental disorders, say Canadian researchers who encourage other forms of discipline.
Monday’s issue of the journal Pediatrics includes a study on the proportion of illnesses such as depression, anxiety, alcohol and drug abuse as well as personality disorders that may be attributable to physical punishment.
Physical punishment was defined as pushing, grabbing, shoving, slapping and hitting in the absence of more severe maltreatment of a child through physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical neglect, emotional neglect or exposure to intimate partner violence.
“It definitely points to the direction that physical punishment should not be used on children of any age and we need to be considering that when we’re thinking about policy and programs so we can protect children from potentially harmful outcomes,” said study author Tracie Afifi, who is in the department of community health sciences at the University of Manitoba.
Afifi hopes the findings from the study that involved more than 34,000 U.S. adults will make parents think twice about spanking.
Afifi acknowledged it’s not a causal effect and the study design can’t prove the link, but she said the statistical association is clear.
“Parents need to be aware of this relationship,” Afifi said.
A surprising finding was that increases in education and income were associated with higher odds of harsh physical punishment, the researchers said.
A civil conversation goes a long way, hitting someone doesn’t
 
Or mental disorders could lead to spanking as children with mental disorders tend to be more challenging than children without.
 
Or mental disorders could lead to spanking as children with mental disorders tend to be more challenging than children without.
So the spanking must not have done a great deal of good then. You don’t spank a child out of aggravation, you do it to punish or correct, not simply because you’re pissed. At least that’s how I understood “He who spares the rod hates his son”. It was meant to be done by fathers to their male offspring if we’re to believe the Bible.
 
Obviously you don’t have children. How do you have a civil conversation with a two year old trying to put the cat in the toilet?🙂
:rotfl: I could just see my little niece trying to do this (this just totally made my day)
 
So the spanking must not have done a great deal of good then. You don’t spank a child out of aggravation, you do it to punish or correct, not simply because you’re pissed. At least that’s how I understood “He who spares the rod hates his son”. It was meant to be done by fathers to their male offspring if we’re to believe the Bible.
I’m sorry if this is innapropriate, but your signature is really cool 😃
 
Obviously you don’t have children. How do you have a civil conversation with a two year old trying to put the cat in the toilet?🙂
Doesn’t warrent a spanking either. And yes I am a mom, been there in the trenches. I spanked once when I was at my wit’s end, I vowed NEVER to do it so again.
 
Obviously you don’t have children. How do you have a civil conversation with a two year old trying to put the cat in the toilet?🙂
I was spanked as a child, and firmly believe in spanking (but don’t have kids); but I don’t think I’d spank for that!! LOL!!!
 
The study talks not just about spanking but about hitting, shoving, grabbing, slapping. I think there is a difference between a calm, reasoned spanking, after something wrong was done, and an angry response in the heat of the moment. Hit a child in anger, and he will hate you, my father always said.

I have spanked my kids when they did dangerous things and would have been hurt, or when their behaviour was incorrigable and the ‘reasoned conversation’ was inthe end fruitless.

When the discipline is given in love, that makes all the difference.
 
Obviously you don’t have children. How do you have a civil conversation with a two year old trying to put the cat in the toilet?🙂
That’s funny. 🙂 But I still can’t imaging hitting a child for that either.Removing a child from the bathroom and telling them no should do the trick.
 
For most people, spanking for educational purposes is a mediocre rationalization at best.
 
That’s funny. 🙂 But I still can’t imaging hitting a child for that either.Removing a child from the bathroom and telling them no should do the trick.
Or place them in the naughty corner (Nanny 911)
 
Obviously you don’t have children. How do you have a civil conversation with a two year old trying to put the cat in the toilet?🙂
I would simply stand back and let it happen. That kid will never try such a thing again. LOL
 
Obviously you don’t have children. How do you have a civil conversation with a two year old trying to put the cat in the toilet?🙂
You would physically harm a two-year old with no sense of right or wrong? I find that cruel
 
yet another spanking thread…

🍿🍿🍿

I wonder how many pages this one will go??

:rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top