Spanking may be linked to later mental disorders

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gift_from_God
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I’ve observed of the younger generations, it is more the LACK of spanking that’s the bigger problem.
 
From what I’ve observed of the younger generations, it is more the LACK of spanking that’s the bigger problem.
Indeed, the Dr Spock school of child rearing has turned out a plethora of narcissist who have no sense of right or wrong or consideration for others.
 
Readers who have time can look up the article by Dr. Richard Cross…
 
I grew up in the south in the 50’s. I chewed gum in my sixth grade class. The teacher (female) stood me up in front of the class and hit me with a wooden paddle (made by some suck-up in shop class). I made the mistake of telling my mom about it. When dad got home, I got another swat on the already sore butt. I never chewed gum in class again.

I grew up to respect life (all life), became a church going Christian; never harbored murderous thoughts and loved my parents dearly. I have four kids (who occasionally got the deserved swat) and twelve grandkids all of whom I am very proud.

Oh, and I played with guns and my friends and I pretended to kill each other.

Had this all happened today, my teacher would be fired (and appear on Fox news), my dad would be arrested for abuse of a minor and I would be taken from a loving home and “re-educated” to conform with acceptable modern standards. Oh, and God would be taught as a myth just like Thor and Zeus.

My, have we progressed!
 
I grew up in the south in the 50’s. I chewed gum in my sixth grade class. The teacher (female) stood me up in front of the class and hit me with a wooden paddle (made by some suck-up in shop class). I made the mistake of telling my mom about it. When dad got home, I got another swat on the already sore butt. I never chewed gum in class again.

I grew up to respect life (all life), became a church going Christian; never harbored murderous thoughts and loved my parents dearly. I have four kids (who occasionally got the deserved swat) and twelve grandkids all of whom I am very proud.

Oh, and I played with guns and my friends and I pretended to kill each other.

Had this all happened today, my teacher would be fired (and appear on Fox news), my dad would be arrested for abuse of a minor and I would be taken from a loving home and “re-educated” to conform with acceptable modern standards. Oh, and God would be taught as a myth just like Thor and Zeus.

My, have we progressed!
That’s called displacement. Your dad was frustratred from a day at work being bossed around and found a safe outlet for his anger: you. Otherwise, why punish you again for something for which you had already been punished.

Let’s not polarize things, there is an in-between between SamH and Dr. Spock.
 
But you’re gonna be great one day! Even get a trophy for it!

😃

You can do anything you want! Ha ha ha. I knew you’d LOL at that one.
Haha! If I do I’m break the trophy in half…No more Winners! :tsktsk: lol
 
I grew up in the south in the 50’s. I chewed gum in my sixth grade class. The teacher (female) stood me up in front of the class and hit me with a wooden paddle (made by some suck-up in shop class). I made the mistake of telling my mom about it. When dad got home, I got another swat on the already sore butt. I never chewed gum in class again.

I grew up to respect life (all life), became a church going Christian; never harbored murderous thoughts and loved my parents dearly. I have four kids (who occasionally got the deserved swat) and twelve grandkids all of whom I am very proud.

Oh, and I played with guns and my friends and I pretended to kill each other.

Had this all happened today, my teacher would be fired (and appear on Fox news), my dad would be arrested for abuse of a minor and I would be taken from a loving home and “re-educated” to conform with acceptable modern standards. Oh, and God would be taught as a myth just like Thor and Zeus.

My, have we progressed!
But but but but but…You were abused! You were abused! You’re supposed to be a psycho-nutcase…you’re supposed to be Ted Kazinski! Can’t…cant, cant cant…cant compute…Progressive mind…having error

…Head Explodes!
 
Or mental disorders could lead to spanking as children with mental disorders tend to be more challenging than children without.
That’s kind of what came to my mind as well. Children with mental illness are more likely to have uncontrollable behaviors and therefore be spanked more. I’m not sure I’m buying this conclusion. However, I don’t really think spanking is generally the most effective method of discipline in most situations.
 
Our one year old likes to pull them out and chew on them.
My niece does that too. My brother-in-law often laments about the idiot who decided outlets should look like smiley faces.
 
Indeed, the Dr Spock school of child rearing has turned out a plethora of narcissist who have no sense of right or wrong or consideration for others.
Dear BernardM,

Cordial greetings and a very good day. Jolly well said - bang on target.

The Judaeo-Christian tradition has always endorsed the parental right to administer corporal punishment to teach children to behave and to render obedience. However, by the use of emotive soundbites and misguided ideology, the child development gurus of this world, who slavishly follow Dr. Spock’s flawed theories, have wrongly asserted that smacking is tantamount to ‘beating’ or child abuse. Apart from being utter balderdash, this is an affront to the intelligence of the overwhelming majority of good decent parents who are able to tell the difference between smacking and beating.

Sadly, today’s parents are subjected to a barrage of liberal propaganda trying to disuade them from using physical chastisement, which is now virtually equated with a form of child abuse. Instead they are encouraged to find other methods of getting children to co-operate and behave in an acceptable and appropriate manner. Now this woefully wrongheaded thinking has had disatsrous consequences in terms of unprecedented adolecent insubordination and juvenile delinquency (the trendy term is ‘anti-social behaviour’).

How jolly sad it is, dear friend, that the warped child development ideology of recent decades has demonised any parent who dares to stand by good old fashioned and trusted methods of child rearing and discipline, including corporal punishment. Today’s children have, alas, been dreadfully spoilt by excessive indulgence and have been allowed to have far too much say as regards what they can and cannot do. Why in some modern households they are treated as quasi-adults, which has made them feel almost invincible. This has all been a grave mistake for which we are now paying a heavy price. Moreover, reasoning with children has tended to convey the impression that parents are always under an obligation to justify their actions and decisions. Families are not little democracies where everything must be put to the vote and where the parents are put into the absurd position of having to make out a compelling enough case, before their children will obey them.

The urgent need of the hour is surely a return to some plain common sense thinking on child rearing and discipline, be it at home or at school. Certainly this will require a radical rethink on current defective methods of child chastisement, hopefully leading to their abandonment forever. As Catholics we ought to be in the vanguard of those pushing for a change in thinking regarding this issue, especially if we are parents ourselves.

God bless, dear friend.

Warmest good wishes,

Portrait

Pax
 
Not from violence. I was never hit and I know right from wrong, as do many other people
Clearly you don’t know right from wrong yet, since you are passing off you opinion as fact, correlation as causation, your anecdotal experience as proven theory, and a study of slapping, hitting, pushing, grabbing, and spanking as a study on disciplined spanking.
 
That’s kind of what came to my mind as well. Children with mental illness are more likely to have uncontrollable behaviors and therefore be spanked more. I’m not sure I’m buying this conclusion. However, I don’t really think spanking is generally the most effective method of discipline in most situations.
I think it’s more of parents of children with mental disorders get frustrated when discipline methods that work for “normal” children don’t work and resort to the time honored spanking. Physical punishment doesn’t usually work either and can lead to escalation into the range of abuse.

My son was a holy terror when he was young. I got lots of unsolicited advice from people who always seemed to know better than I did about my son who has ADHD, ODD and Aspergers. I was either not beating him enough, too hard on him or was neglectful and should have him committed. (Yes, I actually had someone tell me he should be committed.) No one wanted to deal with him, but everyone thought they knew how to “fix” him. I learned quickly that spanking (or any form of discipline) didn’t work on him. He’s now a well behaved adult for which I can only credit to God, because I know it was of my own doing.

To add to the cat stories. I caught him once when he was 3 or 4 chasing our cat through the livingroom with a pair of very sharp dressmaking shears trying to cut the tail off the cat. (Still have no idea how he got the scissors out of the locked cabinet they were in.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top