Spanking may be linked to later mental disorders

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gift_from_God
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/29/spanking-mental-health-drug-abuse.html

A civil conversation goes a long way, hitting someone doesn’t
Here’s a question worth asking. Is it the punishment itself? Or it is being raised by the kinds of parents who would punish you this way?

Personally, I think nearly every pathology imaginable can be predicted simply by assessing the parents’ neuroticism and narcissism. High values of either = dysfunctional kids, virtually without fail.
 
I’d rather do comparisons to a civilization more similar to ours, than one in another geographic location and from another epoch. I was thinking about comparing America today and America 30, 50, 100, 200 years?

Actually, you have a good point. I was going to point out slavery, bigotry, racism.

But then I realized the hidden holocaust among us, abortion.

At best, we are just as heinous as our ancestors. In times past, they were more open. Today we hide our evils behind medical curtains.

So there is no real comparison to be had.
Streets lined with crucifixions. - ancient times.
Streets lined with lynchings. - not too long ago.
Or streets clear, but murder of our most innocent taking place in our buildings. -now.

Each generation believes the next one is worse.
But it really is not so. Each generation becomes more accutely aware of the evil that has always been there as time goes by.

There are no rose colored glasses, no perception filters, just a wisdom of age bearing witness to ongoing evil in the world.
 

Actually, you have a good point. I was going to point out slavery, bigotry, racism.

But then I realized the hidden holocaust among us, abortion.

At best, we are just as heinous as our ancestors. In times past, they were more open. Today we hide our evils behind medical curtains.

So there is no real comparison to be had.
Streets lined with crucifixions. - ancient times.
Streets lined with lynchings. - not too long ago.
Or streets clear, but murder of our most innocent taking place in our buildings. -now.

Each generation believes the next one is worse.
But it really is not so. Each generation becomes more accutely aware of the evil that has always been there as time goes by.

There are no rose colored glasses, no perception filters, just a wisdom of age bearing witness to ongoing evil in the world.
Talking about rose-colored glasses, I think some people here have manure-colored glasses.

Seriously street lined with lynchings? I think you are going to be hard-pressed to find a B&W picture depicting a whole street with lynched person after lynched person.

Regardless, for those claiming that the newer gens are worse than the old…there will always be the newer gens who will point out the flaws of the older gens…me I hate both the new and the old because I think the last good gen was the WWII generation. So if you’re not of the >70 years old crowd…I think your gen is the problem
 
Spanking may be linked to later mental disorders…give me a break. My 3 children were all spanked (noT abused) and they are normal…my son is a seminarian and am sure he will use those “punishments” in future sermons. It’s all in the parenting…love, love,love, PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY…CONSEQUENCES.
 
My son has never called me or anyone a b*tch. Does your son call other people names? Is this something he does all of the time? If it is abnormal, what happened? Had he eaten, slept?
Good for you. I’m glad your kid was perfect. Mine wasn’t. A lot of teenagers try a lot of stuff. He was in rebellion at the time. He was in fine fettle, just being a punk, having an attitude, etc. I was not going to sit there and analyze what had happened with him, I didn’t and don’t really care. That kind of thing is out of bounds, WAY out of bounds. He had gotten away with a lot since my husband was traveling and was too tired and stressed to deal with this son’s garbage when he was home. Looking back, I think more discipline when he started the attitude would have solved a lot, but in a moment of nastiness and rebellion, I believe the punk teenager needs to be brought up short. If a slap is warranted, then a slap it shall be. He expects to call his mom a b*tch and get away with it? He was testing his power. He scowled the rest of the afternoon. So what.

🤷
 
Talking about rose-colored glasses, I think some people here have manure-colored glasses.

Seriously street lined with lynchings? I think you are going to be hard-pressed to find a B&W picture depicting a whole street with lynched person after lynched person.

Regardless, for those claiming that the newer gens are worse than the old…there will always be the newer gens who will point out the flaws of the older gens…me I hate both the new and the old because I think the last good gen was the WWII generation. So if you’re not of the >70 years old crowd…I think your gen is the problem
You’re right, the Baby Boomers have caused so much of what is wrong with the world. It makes me very 😊 to be considered part of that mess…My father and mother both grew up in the Depression, though, so I grew up with another attitude about life. No entitlements, no handouts, you make your own way, you make it, mend it, or make do. I have one aunt who is 97 who still grows a garden. My uncle was a waist gunner on a B-17 in WWII and no one even really knew what he did until he finally retired and started looking up the members of his unit on line. Another uncle on my mom’s side was taken as a German POW. Those men had HONOR and so do our warriors today, so please don’t disparage them (I know you aren’t).

But the sooner the Baby Boomer generation finally dies off, the better off the rest of you will be. Sorry for the ruination.

Oh, yeah…I also got spanked. Not that often, but when I did, I remembered not to do what I’d done ever again.
 
Good for you. I’m glad your kid was perfect. Mine wasn’t. A lot of teenagers try a lot of stuff. He was in rebellion at the time. He was in fine fettle, just being a punk, having an attitude, etc. I was not going to sit there and analyze what had happened with him, I didn’t and don’t really care. That kind of thing is out of bounds, WAY out of bounds. He had gotten away with a lot since my husband was traveling and was too tired and stressed to deal with this son’s garbage when he was home. Looking back, I think more discipline when he started the attitude would have solved a lot, but in a moment of nastiness and rebellion, I believe the punk teenager needs to be brought up short. If a slap is warranted, then a slap it shall be. He expects to call his mom a b*tch and get away with it? He was testing his power. He scowled the rest of the afternoon. So what.

🤷
(red emphasis mine)

LOL, You are a terrible mother, Juliane! (would say the psycho-nuts who over-analyze everything :D) How can you NOT have a “civilized conversation” with your son who just called you a b*tch, and ask him what kind of distress and frustration made the poor guy call you that? Don’t you know everything must be explained and over-analyzed? 😃

Like, for example, what made Adam and Eve disobey God in the Garden of Eden? God must have been a terrible parent to Adam and Eve, that’s how they were “forced” to rebel and disobey! 😉 To make matters worse, God also refused to take responsibility for “making” Adam and Eve disobey - he just punished them as if it was their fault that they rebelled, he threw them out of the Garden! :eek:

Terrible, terrible parents! 😛 😃
 
You’re right, the Baby Boomers have caused so much of what is wrong with the world. It makes me very 😊 to be considered part of that mess…My father and mother both grew up in the Depression, though, so I grew up with another attitude about life. No entitlements, no handouts, you make your own way, you make it, mend it, or make do. I have one aunt who is 97 who still grows a garden. My uncle was a waist gunner on a B-17 in WWII and no one even really knew what he did until he finally retired and started looking up the members of his unit on line. Another uncle on my mom’s side was taken as a German POW. Those men had HONOR and so do our warriors today, so please don’t disparage them (I know you aren’t).

But the sooner the Baby Boomer generation finally dies off, the better off the rest of you will be. Sorry for the ruination.

Oh, yeah…I also got spanked. Not that often, but when I did, I remembered not to do what I’d done ever again.
Godbless your Aunts and Uncles. My uncles were in WWII (great uncles but they were uncles to me cause I had no uncles) one served in the Army…artillery. The other was a combat engineer who saw enough he never spoke much about it and has just recently passed and one who served in the Navy in the Pacific who received a horrible scar during an appendectomy when his ship was hit by a Kamikaze and his doctors had to patch him up in pitch black…and then there was uncle Vinny on my dad’s side who was awarded the Legion of Merit posthumously for his actions on Omaha Beach…My grandfather couldn’t serve because he was classified 4-F due to his flat feet…but he still was a better man than me and so was my dad who served in Korea.

I never was spanked, but I was swatted often. My father never needed to spank me because he was a former bodybuilder and was a very large and intimidating man. His growl terrified me more than any spanking would.

I don’t think my generation will be any better without the Baby Bummers, but I will say I want to apologize on behalf of my miserable generation for the cheap, broke-down nursing homes you guys will be staying at in your final years. 😦
 
Talking about rose-colored glasses, I think some people here have manure-colored glasses.
ugly.
Seriously street lined with lynchings? I think you are going to be hard-pressed to find a B&W picture depicting a whole street with lynched person after lynched person.
A city next to mine has a street downtown, “Broad Street” that is a split street with trees lined up in the middle.
It was not long ago that the Klan lynched many people at a time from those trees.
 
Good for you. I’m glad your kid was perfect. Mine wasn’t. A lot of teenagers try a lot of stuff. He was in rebellion at the time. He was in fine fettle, just being a punk, having an attitude, etc. I was not going to sit there and analyze what had happened with him, I didn’t and don’t really care. That kind of thing is out of bounds, WAY out of bounds. He had gotten away with a lot since my husband was traveling and was too tired and stressed to deal with this son’s garbage when he was home. Looking back, I think more discipline when he started the attitude would have solved a lot, but in a moment of nastiness and rebellion, I believe the punk teenager needs to be brought up short. If a slap is warranted, then a slap it shall be. He expects to call his mom a b*tch and get away with it? He was testing his power. He scowled the rest of the afternoon. So what.

🤷
My son is far from perfect. I still don’t spank him.

My point is, parents that spank claim it is not hitting, or slapping or beating. It is spanking. But then they do something like you said, they slap. Or they claim it is used as a last resort. That they have tried every other option. But you admit that your husband was letting your son get away with a lot. 🤷 That he really didn’t do anything about it. So slapping wasn’t a last resort.

So, again, my point is, spanking leads to hitting. And once you spank, it rarely is used as a last resort. I am sure there are parents out there that do only spank on the butt, and only after nothing else has worked. But I have never met one.

If you want to spank/hit/slap you child. Fine. But don’t claim that spanking isn’t hitting or that you only ever use it as a last resort.

Oh, and I was spanked too. And slapped. And that is why I will never do it.
 
ugly.

A city next to mine has a street downtown, “Broad Street” that is a split street with trees lined up in the middle.
It was not long ago that the Klan lynched many people at a time from those trees.
Well thankfully not all of America was the South.
 
My son is far from perfect. I still don’t spank him.

My point is, parents that spank claim it is not hitting, or slapping or beating. It is spanking. But then they do something like you said, they slap. Or they claim it is used as a last resort. That they have tried every other option. But you admit that your husband was letting your son get away with a lot. 🤷 That he really didn’t do anything about it. So slapping wasn’t a last resort.

So, again, my point is, spanking leads to hitting. And once you spank, it rarely is used as a last resort. I am sure there are parents out there that do only spank on the butt, and only after nothing else has worked. But I have never met one

If you want to spank/hit/slap you child. Fine. But don’t claim that spanking isn’t hitting or that you only ever use it as a last resort.

Oh, and I was spanked too. And slapped. And that is why I will never do it.
Hi, my name is Bruce. Glad to meet you.🙂
 
My son is far from perfect. I still don’t spank him.

My point is, parents that spank claim it is not hitting, or slapping or beating. It is spanking. But then they do something like you said, they slap. Or they claim it is used as a last resort. That they have tried every other option. But you admit that your husband was letting your son get away with a lot. 🤷 That he really didn’t do anything about it. So slapping wasn’t a last resort.

So, again, my point is, spanking leads to hitting. And once you spank, it rarely is used as a last resort. I am sure there are parents out there that do only spank on the butt, and only after nothing else has worked. But I have never met one.

If you want to spank/hit/slap you child. Fine. But don’t claim that spanking isn’t hitting or that you only ever use it as a last resort.

Oh, and I was spanked too. And slapped. And that is why I will never do it.
A last resort…Hmmmm…No, I wouldn’t say it is a last resort. That is a term that comes from people who don’t understand spanking. It’s one of many disciplinary techniques, that vary with each child. With some children, you need little more than a fierce expression. With others, they take it to the limit each and every time, or at least plenty of times. Our first son was in the first category. I spanked him once, after he crossed a street without me. One spanking his entire childhood. I could give him “the look” and he would dissolve into tears. A mom’s dream, really. He wanted to do the right thing by nature.

His brother. The opposite. To tell him “No,” was seen as a challenge. When he was 2 and 3, he would return to something I’d told him “No” about, over and over and over. Time out didn’t work. Putting him in his room didn’t work. I didn’t spank him then. We found a way to remove either the item or him from the area. I distracted him a lot. But at some point, he would decide to take a stand against us. It was defiance. That, I spanked for. I told him ahead of time that if he continued to show this defiance, he would get a spanking. I gave him as many swats as he was old - so 5 swats when he was 5, 6 when he was six.

I know you won’t believe this, because you have a mental block against it. In fact, you will probably say that the reason he called me a ***** when he was 14 is that I spanked him when he was 6. But when he was spanked, he “got it” faster than any other discipline he ever underwent. He would take his swats, cry, hug me and say he was sorry. We would talk about what he had done wrong, and he would ask questions or just be quiet. It was then over. It didn’t take hours of screaming, carrying on, going back and forth to time out or some “naughty spot.” It was just …over. And after a spanking he behaved for a longer period of time than if I had used a time out in his room.

He’s still very stubborn to this day. Eventually I think it will be a character asset, as he learns to direct this persistence in his own favor. It can get him into trouble. He is still somewhat defiant with authority. I believe it is nothing that we did, that God made him that way for a reason. He was like that from a very early age. It may be a cross for him to bear, or it may end up being something he needs in order to serve God more deeply.

I did not harm him by spanking him. You are not harming your children by not spanking them. Please give parents credit for choosing the discipline that works for their child. I am not your abuser, and most parents don’t abuse their children.
 
Certainly not. Nor are people who have used judicious spanking as a form of discipline or punishment actually abusing their child, or raising mentally unstable sociopaths.

Look over the posts in this and other topics on spanking carefully - I don’t think anyone who uses spanking is decrying people who choose not to; on the contrary, it is the anti-spanking crowd that is decrying others who do choose to use it.
If all this Dr. Spock garbage or reassuring your child, and “talking” with them, and giving them praise and never spanking them, and telling them “Everyone’s a winner!”

…Then why are our children more drug-using, porn-obsessed, mentally unstable, slothful, suicidal and socially defecient than all the previous generations who were all spanked.

…I don’t know, I think grandpa’s generation was raised better than today’s kids who are raised to be “little Nero’s” because their parents put the world around them. 🤷

Just my opinion as a childless father and wifeless husband. 😃
From what I’ve observed of the younger generations, it is more the LACK of spanking that’s the bigger problem.
Indeed, the Dr Spock school of child rearing has turned out a plethora of narcissist who have no sense of right or wrong or consideration for others.
There is a direct correlation between the two. Why do you think Asians outperform every other group in school? It is because they are deathly afraid of their parents, just like I was. You know we are sliding down a slope when you see stuff like this spammed all over the place. Parents are no longer the confident authority figures and protectors they once were. Now it is chic to let your child decide instead of telling them what to do. It is now the norm negotiate and ask instead of telling them what to do. In short Dr. Spock tells us not to be parents but buddies, and it has ruined generations of kids.
I’m sorry, He Man. Maybe you missed these posts.

Those that don’t spank have had their children called narcissist, with no sense of right or wrong, little Nero’s and the best one “drug-using, porn-obsessed, mentally unstable, slothful, suicidal and socially deficient.”

So if that isn’t decrying those that choose not to spank, what do you call it???
 
So if that isn’t decrying those that choose not to spank, what do you call it???
I do find it interesting that you are making the issue we are discussing about yourself instead of the larger issues in society at large the rest of us are talking about.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top